Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Dedication to an Old Friend

My cat is a cheshire cat. The whole world is his toy, he loves to be where he isn't allowed, and he's only found when he wants to be.

Chapter 1 - Dedication to an Old Friend

Chapter 1 - Dedication to an Old Friend
Before I begin this, I'd like to dedicate my writing of my cat to my first cat before him.
We got her when I was one, not long after my parents divorced. I guess Mom needed a companion now that dad was gone. She went nameless for a while, until one day, while I was mimicking my older brother, he said, "You copy cat!" Assuming he was talking about the new cat, I looked around and said "Now where'd that Copycat go?" And thus, she was named.

Copycat taught me a lot about forgiveness and second chances. I was not very nice as a kid. I spent much time pulling her tail, dancing with her, and coloring on her fur with green non-toxic markers. She began to avoid me, and flee in terror at the mere sight of me. But as I grew older, I grew kinder (to animals anyway), and attempted mend our relationship. Eventually, we became friends again.

When I was five, just before my sixth birthday, my brother died. That Thanksgiving, when we went to my grandparents' house, Mom introduced me to my new companion: a small gray kitten with white toes. I named him Cheshire, after my favorite character from Alice in Wonderland. I spent the day chasing him around the house and trying to put him in doll clothes.

When we brought him home, mom was afraid Copycat would bully him. She set him down, and the first thing he did was walk up to her. She swatted him across the floor. Mom was scared for him, but then he got back up and did it again. They soon became best friends. During litter box training, we'd keep him closed in the bathroom at night. But Copycat had learned how to open the door for him, so we would wake the next day with little "gifts" all over the house.

A few years ago, Copycat was diagnosed with breast cancer that had spread to her lungs. She had to be put down. That night, Mom and I curled up on the couch together and cried. After we went to bed, Cheshire seemed to realize that his life long friend wasn't coming home. He sat in the hall between our bedrooms and cried.

We've tried getting other cats to keep him company. Simon, and fluffy orange cat, was a good companion, but he ran away one day when the door was opened. Now we have Cheerio, a fat, lazy calico who refuses to play, and growls any time he comes near her.

We all still miss Copycat. She was my first cat, and I've never been without one since. So, I dedicate these writings to her.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment