Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - Christmas...

Nicole explaing her story...

Chapter 12 - Christmas...

Chapter 12 - Christmas...
And Christmas arrived… It knocked on the door and barged just right in without saying hello, except I saw it coming from a distance…







What the hell am I talking about?



Christmas. Yes. Fun, fun, fun for the whole family. Geez…



I don’t really know what to say. Christmas is some holiday that’s been around for centuries and no one really knows why it’s a celebration. I believe I heard someone saying once that it’s a holiday, dedicated to some important guy who was born on that day thousands of years ago. .



Pssh, yeah right. I was born and you don’t see the 17th of august being turned into a world wide holiday… All I cared for was the shoot load of presents that were under the tree… Who the hell came up with that idea anyway? To put a tree in your house, decorate the shoot out of it and place presents under the tree?! Seriously, the one who invented that was one weird guy… Or girl, I don’t know. Still, I didn’t complain. It was all fun… Until one incident changed everything…







Got ya there didn’t I? Ha! You thought something horrible was about to happen, like a giant thing ruining Christmas and the kangaroo that saved Christmas. I actually like the sound of that. “Nicole, the sexy @$$ kicking Kangaroo who saved Christmas”.



Hehehe…



*ahem*



Christmas morning… It was only 11 am and I felt that something was tickling my paw. I wasn’t really wide awake to actually be bothered by it, but I felt it was slowly crawling upwards. At some point, I looked up and noticed Diesel sticking his little head from under the blankets. I scratched him behind his ear…



Nicole: Merry Christmas lil’ guy…

Then I noticed a Christmas hat on the table. I got it from people who were passing those things around a few days ago in town. I actually got 4 or something… They didn’t believe me when I said I already had a few. They gave it anyway. I placed one over his little head, and he reaches out for the bell that was dangling on it…



Nicole: Getting in the Christmas spirit yet?

Then I placed one on me myself…



Nicole: How about now?
Diesel: Mrow!
Nicole: Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Then after I took a shower, I went over to Sonic’s place to help with everything Everyone looked so happy for some reason. Christmas is just another day like any except there’s always a cheerful mood everywhere you go.



As soon as I arrived, I got cuddled by everyone, followed with kisses on the cheeks, and I did the same. We all wished each other a merry Christmas, but we didn’t know why. Guess it was tradition or something.



After all the preparations were made, I went home to get dressed properly. Normally, I’m not really someone who wears dresses, and I’m not gonna change that now. So I got out some decent clothes and cleaned the place up a bit. Then I went towards the others…



It was late in the afternoon when I arrived. Sonic’s house was being decorated with lights and all sorts of things, and they were still decorating the tree… Well, trying to get it up first



Blain: To your left!!
Knuckles: What?!
Blain: You’re left!!!
Sonic: Whoa look out!!
Blain: Knuckles!!!
Knuckles: Help me here!!
Sonic: Aah!!
Blain: What?!!
Sonic: The branch hit my eye!!
Blain: Oh for fu-
Knuckles: Watch out!!!

Then the tree fell down on the guys…



Knuckles: Get off me!! Get off me!!!
Sonic: Well if I could get a hand here I would, stupid!!


Rouge: *sighs*
Nicole: … Am I missing something?
Rouge: No you’re just in time…
Nicole: Hehehe…
Rouge: Seriously, who needs TV when you get to see those guys?
Nicole: Meh… So how’s the score?
Rouge: The guys: zero. The tree: Four.
Nicole: Interesting score.
Rouge: Yes indeed…
Nicole: Shouldn’t we help them?
Rouge: Naah, not just yet…

Many, many… Many… …Many moments later, they finally managed to put the tree up… Decorating didn’t go smooth as well, seeing as lots of baubles got shattered on the ground. Sonic even managed to cut open his finger on the broken baubles… But finally, it was standing… A lil’ tilted



Nicole: It’s a bit tilted.
Sonic: Yeah you’re right…
Blain: Will you shut up before anyone is gonna mess with that tree agai-
Nicole: No, no, really, it is…
Sonic: I got it.

Ok, lemme rephrase that… Way tilted… That thing could fall down any second if someone bumped into it… And I swear, the moment I thought that…



Cody: I got some more baubles!
Sonic: Watch where you’re going!!
Cody: What?
Nicole: Oooooooh dear…

Then Cody bumped into the tree, and of course, it fell down… Again.



This time, we helped putting up the tree again. And with “we” I meant Rouge, Amy and myself. All the tree needs is a feminine touch. And a lumberjack to chop it down… Then we helped decorating the tree and cleaned up the mess the guys caused.



As evening fell, we opened up the presents… Tails was the first one who got a present first. It’s a big, rectangle thing, and as he unwraps it, we could see it’s a big… Rectangle wooden box… With nothing on it…



Tails: Eeh…
Sonic: … I think I see screws on top.
Tails: Get me a screwdriver…

It takes fifteen minutes to unscrew the lid… And after he opened it, his face turned sour… He got out a note, while there was nothing else in the box…



Tails: “Better luck next year.”
Sonic: That’s it?
Shadow: Maybe this will help.

Then Shadow got out a present from his back and gave it to Tails…



Tails: You made this?!
Shadow: Yeah, aint it great?
Tails: Hehehe, thanks Shadow.
Shadow: Open it!

Then Tails unwrapped the present and saw… A pair of socks… His face turned sour again with a weak smile… Tails picked a present from under the tree and it was for Cody. A big one. Now I know this one. We all agreed a while ago that we still owe Cody for his birthday. So, encase if you wonder what we got for him… It’s a gameconsole… You know… Videogames and all that… He literally jumped 10 feet in the air as he saw that… But we don’t owe a TV… He also realized that… We’re getting back on that…



At some point, I noticed Blain going outside… And after a while, he still didn’t get back… So I looked for him and he was on the porch smoking a cigarette…



Nicole: Smoking is bad for you, you know.

And as he turned around, I saw his hands were shaking…

Nicole: You ok…?
Blain: Uh… Yeah, I’m fine…
Nicole: You sure…?
Blain: Don’t mind me… Sometimes I got moments like this…

Nicole: … I know that…

Then he turned around… He was still shaking a bit…



Blain: You know… Four years ago, I celebrated Christmas with a dead body…
Nicole: What…?

Blain: Yeah… We got send out on a mission to round up a rebel leader and got ambushed, which caused me to get separated from the others. I managed to hide in a small village, until I saw someone walking towards me. I waited until he got close enough, pulled him over in an alley and I stabbed him. In the chest. He fell dead next to me and I began searching his body for weapons. It took me a long time to realize he didn’t had any, because he wasn’t a soldier… Instead, I found something else…

Nicole: Well… What did you find…?

Blain: A Christmas card…
Nicole: A Christmas card…?
Blain: Yes… And as I turned his body around, I noticed it was an old guy… A human…

Nicole: An old man…?
Blain: Yeah… To me, Christmas didn’t mean much, but it does for millions of other people… Even in times of war. As soon as I got radioed by the others where I was, I went to the rendezvous point… And… On the way, I walked by the small houses and saw everyone inside. They didn’t have much, but they seemed so happy with the little things they had…

Nicole: You got a grudge against Christmas…?

Blain: No, not at all… In fact, those are the happiest memories I can remember… When I was young, Jasco gave us things on Christmas… Not any presents, but small things. Like a bag of marshmallows, or chocolate bars he stole. And every time we were out on the field, he kept us warm by lighting a fire, and he always told how good his Christmases were when he was young. And ever since that day I found that card, I felt something was missing. A place to call home and someone to call family. It sounds so cliché you know… And now that I got both, I got the feeling I’m being left out…

Nicole: What makes you think that…?
Blain: Because everyone I ever celebrated Christmas with is DEAD!!!

I was a bit surprised by that… I didn’t really expect that… I kept looking at him as he stared back…


Blain: Dead!! Everyone…!
Nicole: You got us right…? I mean… Sonic and, everyone else…
Blain: Yeah… But Sonic celebrated Christmas with everyone else each year… And all of a sudden, I was alone…

Nicole: Well… Truth be told… I’m alone too…
Blain: Whadda ya mean…?
Nicole: Luckily, I got Cody… But, I miss my parents too you know… How it used to be… But I’m not going back, not after what they did…

Blain: Who did what?
Nicole: They… They’ve abandoned us when Cody and I needed them the most… I was a spoiled, rich brat that sometimes needed a slap, but… Not this…

Blain: You were rich…?
Nicole: I was…
Blain: And you’ve abandoned that while you were on the other side of the planet…?

Nicole: … I walked away…
Blain: You had it all and you just walked away…? How the hell can you do that…?
Nicole: Because…


I didn’t want to let him know what really happened. I just didn’t want to talk about it…


Nicole: Because… It became unbearable…

Blain: Like what, a safe home, loads of cash and not being shot at every fracking day became unbearable?! What the hell…?

Nicole: You didn’t know what I’ve been through…

Blain: I would trade it any fracking day!! Especially after all the things I’ve been through!!

Nicole: You don’t understand…
Blain: Do I need a reason to understand…? What’s there to understand…?
Nicole: … Nothing…

At that point, I decided to shut up… How can anyone understand something if you don’t want to explain the whole story…?


Blain: I don’t get it… Why would you leave everything behind and even come here…? It just doesn’t make any sense… I would trade my past just to get my arm back… I would trade with you… I would have stayed home if I was you…

Then he closed his eyes and let his head down…


Blain: But… Then again, you’re not me… We’re way too different…

He turned around to walk away, but I grabbed his left arm. He looked up surprised and then back to me… I took his glove off and placed my right hand in his left hand, then looked back at him… He looks down at my hand being placed in mine…


Nicole: You and I are not that different… You look at where I came from... I look at you as a person… And… You and I are not that different as a person…

There was a long silence before he responded… He never actually responded to what I said, but I knew it meant something to him… He’s devastated… No one ever saw him like this… Especially not me… He didn’t move an inch… I got closer to him and placed an arm around his shoulder. Then he looked at me with soggy red eyes… I gave him a hug and he hugged me tightly… I placed my hand on the back of his head and caress it…


Nicole: Sssh… Its ok, Blain… Let it all out…
Blain: It’s just not fair man…

And at that point, he held me even tighter… I felt how his big hands clenched on my back and I could hear him sobbing… His tears hitting my shoulder… And at some point, I couldn’t hold myself either and I felt a teardrop leaving my cheek as well…



What I don’t understand is… How can Blain talk so easily about everything that happened to him…? Everything seems to revolve around Blain… What about me…? I can dog about it all I want but if I don’t tell, they will never know… It’s as simple as that…



A lot of bad things are happening in the new year and it gets worse… For me… At some point, they will know… But not this night… I didn’t know it that night… That night, everything was fine…



As soon as we got back, I noticed the mistletoe hanging on the wall and we stood underneath it…



Nicole: Blain…?
Blain: Yeah?


Then I looked up to the mistletoe. At some point, he looked as well and I smiled…


Blain: Forget it…


Then he smiled as well and went to the kitchen to splash water in his face Then Sonic came to me



Sonic: What happened to Blain?
Nicole: Nothing… We just needed to talk about something…
Sonic: Ooooh… I see… Go for it…

Then he went back to the others…


Nicole: … What?

After I got back from splashing water in my face, I got a present… A small present… I unwrapped it and saw a little black box… As soon as I opened it, I noticed it was a necklace… I got it out and it had a black Onyx stone, shining in different colours as you turn it in the light… Cobalt blue, Nero black, Crimson Red and all sorts of coloursIt’s beautiful… I also noticed my name was carved in the stone… As soon as I asked who gave me this, no one knew… And as I looked at the back of the stone, it said “Thank you for opening my eyes…”



Then I knew who gave me the necklace…

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment