Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Once upon a time...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 1 - Once upon a time...

Chapter 1 - Once upon a time...
“Our so-called leaders… They sold us out to the furries… Destroyed our homes… Our cultures… Our honour… Our blood has been spilled on our soil… My blood… On their hands… They are the invaders… All Mobian armed forces will leave the continent… Or they shall suffer the consequences…”



“Unknown”



Running through the corridors while I carried Di-Angelo wasn’t exactly an easy job… He was way taller then me and heavy, but I did my best to run as fast as I could… I tried to stop the bleeding by pressing my hand on his stomach and as I ran through the corridors, I heard him screaming in pain. It echoed throughout the dark corridors and it was bone chilling to hear… Going left… Another left… Take a right… Almost there… I kicked down the door that was in front as the others looked baffled at us… Then they saw I carried Di-Angelo… I placed him down as gentle as I could… Rico took over from me as we all stared at the golden yellow lion with light brown manes… Di-Angelo’s deep baritone scream once again echoed throughout the room as Rico tried to save his life…



Saidah couldn’t take it… She couldn’t witness how her partner suffered like that… And truth be told, I couldn’t either… His whole stomach was torn open and… There wasn’t much that Rico could do. Everyone knew that he couldn’t do much. The only thing Rico could do was to ease his suffering by drugging him… Di-Angelo stopped screaming and was breathing heavily as he looked at everyone… Rico placed a blanket over him to keep him warm… Then Saidah kneeled next to Di-Angelo and talked to him… Kissing him on his forehead and kept assuring him everything was alright… It was so heartbreaking… We could see he was crying… She didn’t… She was strong for him as she whispered in his ear… And at some point, he passed away silently… Then she just broke out in tears and crying her eyes out as we all just looked at the two lions… And there wasn’t anything we could do… Everyone wished they could have done something, but all we felt was desolation and despair… I tried picking up Saidah and took her somewhere where we could be alone… She lay down on a bed as I sat on the edge of it, and she was crying her eyes out… I gave her a long firm hug, and although I knew words wouldn’t help, I stayed silent… She wanted to be alone… I scratched her behind her ear and left…



As I went back to the others, I sat down in a corner… Blain sat next to me not long after that… I looked him in the eyes and knew he was thinking the same thing… It got us thinking of how things could turn out like this… Why we were being chased down and why there was so much hate… We just didn’t understand… Then all of a sudden, it was like Blain and I were traveling back in timeTo figure out the how and why…



So when did it start…? Why did it start…? Who started it…?



Now I remember. I can see it, from where I am now. I can smell it, I can feel it… I can tell the story… Because where I am right now, makes everything more sense than it was then… But… Unfortunately, that doesn’t change what happened to us. Maybe it all started when we first heard the message… They were crying when it started… At first, I didn’t know why they were crying, but I do now… They were crying because it had begun… For us…



I remember how the meaning of words began to change... How unfamiliar words like "collateral" and "siege" became frightening, while things like GUN and ICA became powerful... I remember being "different" became dangerous... I still don't understand it, why they hated us so much



Robotropolis… Fifty thousand people used to live here… Now it’s a ghost town…



And now you’re wondering what happened to us…? I’m not sure if you really want to know. It actually happened a very long time ago… And… Quite honestly, I can’t remember much of it… I’m glad I don’t remember much of it… But this is something that has to be told and should not be forgotten by anyone. It’s not about Blain or me, but it’s about all the horrifying events that happened to everyone over the years We’ve seen that in the past and present… So it wouldn’t be any different in the future…



Like with all stories, you’ll have to start from the very beginning… And I think you’ve guessed who I am. For those of you who can’t remember me… My name is Blain… Thirty nine years ago, I was created to turn the events of a forsaken war, carried out by the visions of a mad man. I can tell ya, it wasn’t a pretty youth. But I survived it, which came at a very high price no one is willing to pay for. I had a lot of trouble getting used to a normal life once the war was over, and I often wondered what normal people would do. Sonic and the others accepted me, and I stayed with them ever since. Then there was this girl, who changed everything. She opened my eyes and helped me a lot with the struggles I was facing. She had struggles as well. We couldn’t get along at first, but due to all sorts of circumstances and events, we started to understand each other and grew closer. The things she went through wasn’t the same I had, but I could relate to her in some way, and she could relate to me. And at some point, we were in love. Except we didn’t knowFor more then twenty three years, we lived in prosperity, and had everything we ever wanted. We were happy… Everyone… I can’t exactly remember when it truly started, or why. But, come to think of it, it doesn’t matter anymore. It did, and there was nothing we could do to change it…



I woke up one night... For... No particular reason… I had a bad dream but as soon as I opened my eyes I forgot what it was about… I looked around as I lay in bed and I felt Blain breathing next to me… Asleep… As I looked down, I noticed he had his arm clenched around my stomach… I moved over and placed my hand on his cheek… And there was this ecstasy I felt myself floating away in… My whole body felt tingly and sensitive and it just didn’t stop… And at some point, it felt like I was hit with a sledgehammer, and everything just stopped… I couldn’t feel… I couldn’t think… I didn’t know where I was, or… Who I was… It took me a while to remember…



Lara-Su: Auntie…?

I was so carried away in thoughts that I didn’t noticed Lara-Su was standing in the doorway. I didn’t realize she stood there, until I heard her voice. I was startled at first, but then realized it was Lara-Su…


Nicole: Lara? Wh-What’s wrong?
Lara-Su: I can’t sleep… I didn’t wake you did I…?
Nicole: No you didn’t…
Lara-Su: Is it ok if I made a cup of hot coco…?
Nicole: Yeah sure, go ahead… Make one for me as well…
Lara-Su: Ok…

I sat upright on the edge of my bed as Blain continued sleeping… I looked at him at first wondering how he could sleep like that. But then again, he always slept like a baby. I got up and walked to the door to get myself to the kitchen, but suddenly, I looked at myself in the mirror on the wall. I stared myself in the eyes and realized how old I got over the years… Forty one years old… And not much changed in appearance… My body got older, but that’s pretty much it. Same face, same body I had twenty three years ago. I might have grown a little and my hair might be shorter then it used to be, but that’s where the differences stopped. As I stared in the mirror, I was staring myself in my own eyes… They say that the eyes are the gateways to a person’s soul, and staring in someone’s eyes means you’re looking in someone’s heart. You can see a lot when you stare in someone’s eyes and I guess that’s the reason why I stayed with Blain for so many years…



I smiled at myself and went on to the kitchen where Lara-Su was pouring hot water in cups. It twirled down and slowly turned brown as the water mixes up with cocoa. Then she added a little bit of sugar to make it sweeter, and as she handed a cup to me, we sat down on the couch.



Lara-Su: So… You couldn’t sleep either huh?
Nicole: I just woke up… I had a bad dream but I can’t remember what it was about…

Lara-Su: Ooh…
Nicole: And you? Lara-Su: I don’t know, I just can’t sleep…
Nicole: Is something wrong?
Lara-Su: Kinda…
Nicole: What’s up?
Lara-Su: I’m just wondering when my parents will be home you know… I mean, they said it only took a week, but their gone for more then two weeks now…

Nicole: They called yesterday…
Lara-Su: Yeah I know but… What if something happened back there?
Nicole: Hey…

I stroked my hand through her Crimson red hair… Look at her… She’s all grown up now… Fifteen years young she is… Knuckles and Julie-Su are very proud of her. So were Blain and I. She always protects the kids who get bullied at school. Well, she’s the daughter of Knuckles, so what do you expect? She had a few talks with the principal and even got suspended once, but it was never in her disadvantage. She was never the one who started the fight. Most of the time she’s just shy and keeps herself in the background, but whenever she sees something she can’t stand, she’ll do everything about it to set it right. Sometimes that led to conflicts but she’s a fast learner. Knuckles and Julie-Su had a lot of talks with her, and so did Blain and I. We grew really close with Lara-Su. She was four years old when we got acquainted, and she changed a lot over the years… We saw her growing up like she was our own daughter, but I never forgot my own daughter who died a long time ago… She’d be 6 years old now, and although there isn’t a single day that goes by without thinking of Kaelyn, it still pains me…



As to the question of why Lara-Su is here, Knuckles and Julie-Su received word a few weeks ago that things weren’t going smooth on Angel Island. It had something to do with his dad and all that, I don’t really know. I guess we’ll hear the story once they get back. Knuckles and Julie-Su didn’t want Lara to be involved in the situation on Angel Island and they also didn’t want her to be home alone, so they asked if Lara could stay over for a week. I didn’t mind. Of course not. In fact, I love having her around.



Nicole: You shouldn’t worry about things like that… I heard Sonic telling lots of stories of your dad breaking out of situations-

Lara-Su: Well, it’s not that…
Nicole: Then what is it…?
Lara-Su: I overheard them talking a few weeks ago…
Nicole: About what…?
Lara-Su: That’s the thing… I don’t know. Dad sounded really mad…
Nicole: I guess there isn’t much use to think about if you don’t know what it’s all about. We’ll all hear the story once they get home… Don’t worry…

Lara-Su: Yeah… *takes sip*

I took sips from my hot coco as I noticed a newspaper on the table and got hold of it… “The Liberty Tree”. It said on the frontpage that 431 humans were killed in riots. What got me was a picture of a human carrying a wounded kid as you can see MNAF soldiers in the background guiding civilians to safer grounds. As I turned page, the story continued…



So what happened over the years you might ask? Well, there was this group of humans, who didn’t like the idea being ruled by a bunch of animals, or furries as they refer to us ever since the war ended 28 years ago. Maybe it’s because their too proud to be helped by us, or maybe it’s because they think their superior over us. Whatever it is, they didn’t like it. While some humans received our help with open arms, some didn’t. Whatever it was, they never could establish a peaceful society. They lacked leadership. Well there was a leader, but got assassinated a long time ago. Yes, I’m talking about Robotnik. As to this day, no one knows who was behind the hit on Robotnik, and although the ICA and GUN investigated the case, it never got solved. The ICA was more like secret police as GUN was a military organisation founded after the war was over. Stories about ICA and GUN went around saying they tortured their suspects in order to get some information out of them. But it all led to a dead end. As the years passed by, the humans started to turn against GUN and ICA because of their actions against civilians. The only excuse GUN and the ICA had for those violent actions was because “order” must be restored. But it did the opposite. Riots broke out who got heavier over the years and the remaining countries were afraid it might lead to another war again because the first war also started like that. So we send the Mobian National Armed Forces over there to contain the situation and helped rebuilding their country. But like I said, some received the help with open arms, and some didn’t. Shooting and killing and explosions are part of every day life over there, and I don’t wanna live there… And that’s the story so far for the humans in a nutshell… Sure there were other things happening in the world, but this was the most important conflict. I’m glad it happened thousands of miles away…



Nicole: … “431 humans killed in Sarophina”
Lara-Su: It just never stops for them is it…?
Nicole: It’s awful…
Lara-Su: I don’t get it… I mean… Why don’t they just put down their weapons and think about their problems? That would make a whole lot more sense then shooting each others brains out…

Nicole: I have no idea…

The next morning I woke up slowly as the sun was shining in my face. I didn’t notice it at first, but Nicole wasn’t lying next to me. So I got up, and took a shower. Seeing as it was still 11 am, and my stomach was rumbling, I made some breakfast. I didn’t see Nicole or Lara-Su once I got to the livingroom. And there they were asleep on the couch with two mugs on the table. One was half full with hot coco. Well it wasn’t hot anymore, that’s for sure. As I looked around the kitchen to see if there was anything to eat, I came across all sorts of stuff. Milk, eggs, pancake batter mix, and all that. Pancakes didn’t sound too bad. Although I never made pancakes in my entire life. But I’ve seen Nicole doing it, and it didn’t look that hard to do. Also, it had instructions. Nothing could go wrong right? Milk, a few eggs, pour it in a bowl with a little bit of water with the mix, then stir the frack out of it. I did it all by hand, and although we got an electric mixer, I didn’t use it. Last time I used it was… Well, let’s just say it didn’t go to great. I’m a sucker when it comes to electrical things… But I think you already knew. Ok, next up, a stick of butter in a frying pan. Pour some of the batter in the frying pan… Then turn over regularly… I was so happy once I made my very first pancake. You think I’m joking?! Hell no. Seriously, I was grinning from ear to ear as I placed the first pancake on a plate. And not long after that, Nicole and Lara-Su entered the kitchen looking very sleepy…



Lara-Su: Morning…
Blain: ‘Lo Lara!
Nicole: …
Blain: Morning sunshine! *pinches Nicole’s cheeks*
Nicole: Pah…

Lara-Su: What’s that smell?
Blain: You’re upper-lip, my dear.
Lara-Su: Hehehe…
Nicole: You’re making pancakes?!
Blain: Look!

Then he shoved a plate in front of our nose with only one pancake on it… Lara-Su and I looked at each other and clapped our hands in a rather nonchalant way…



Blain: I know, I know. I’m a master chef.
Lara-Su: Could you do that thing what they do on television?!
Blain: Television?
Lara-Su: Yeah! Like those cooking shows! Flipping it without a spatula!
Blain: You mean flipping it up?
Lara-Su: Yeah!
Blain: Ok watch this.

Then he flips it up. Except the batter wasn’t even half done yet so most of it lands next to the stove. And as I looked up, there were splatters of batter on the ceiling as it dripped in the frying pan...


Blain: I guess that one wasn’t half done yet- OW!!!

And as he placed the frying pan back on the stove, he burned his hand. He lowered his hand quickly, but by doing that, he hit the handle of it, which caused it to fall down and to launch the batter that was still in it… It splatters against the kitchen window…



Later on that day, Knuckles came back along with Julie-Su. Knuckles wasn’t looking too happy and after they both greet Nicole and Lara-Su and the others, Knuckles nodded to me to come over…



Blain: ‘Sup?
Knuckles: How much do you still know about military operations?
Blain: Not much actually. I’ve been out of that for more then 23 years now…
Knuckles: shoot…
Blain: Why, what’s wrong?
Knuckles: Let’s go for a walk.
Blain: Ok…

So we walked off… Knuckle’s face was all serious and he had that little frown he always has when he’s pissed… Something must be seriously wrong…


Blain: Wassup?
Knuckles: You know how the situation up north is right…?
Blain: What, with the GUN and ICA?
Knuckles: Yeah.
Blain: Yeah, I know. Go on.
Knuckles: Angel Island is mobilizing troops.
Blain: Whadda ya mean?
Knuckles: Mobilizing, as in, gathering people.
Blain: Troops for what?
Knuckles: Don’t you get it?
Blain: Dude, what the hell are you talking about?! You’re not making any sense!
Knuckles: *sighs*
Blain: Ok, just… Calm down, and tell me what’s going on…
Knuckles: Angel Island is located close by with the northern continent… Their mobilizing troops to defend Angel Island…

Blain: Just encase?
Knuckles: Just encase.
Blain: Then what’s the problem?
Knuckles: Something is not right over there…
Blain: Like what?
Knuckles: GUN visited Angel Island…

Blain: … What?
Knuckles: Yeah. Nothing was happening on a large scale. But according to them, the assassination on Robotnik was done by a furrie.

Blain: One of us?
Knuckles: They say they have reason to believe it was a furrie.
Blain: Any casualties?
Knuckles: No, luckily not.
Blain: What the hell are they doing there?
Knuckles: I don’t know. That’s the thing. They didn’t seem hostile though. But how much can they do without violating any rights…?

Blain: Well not much. If the government of Angel Island gave them permission to look around, then that’s the only thing they can do, which no citizen of Angel Island can stop. Their just gathering intel for the assassination. Those armed forces you saw probably went along for security and make sure nothing gets leaked. GUN and ICA aren’t the most conventional organisations, but their on our side. They try to keep order over there and they are being backed up by the MNAF army.

Knuckles: I don’t trust this, not one bit…

Blain: Why is everyone acting so paranoid the last couple of weeks? It’s been like that for more then 8 years and now everyone starts to worry? Come on… I think you’re overreacting a bit…

Knuckles: Maybe… But I just don’t trust what’s happening back on Angel Island…

Blain: Hehehe… Come on, let’s go back. I think you’re daughter wants to see you.

Like with all major conflicts, it seems innocent at first. This happens, that happens, and all of a sudden, you’re in the middle of a fracking war. It all goes so fast… Except this one went so slow, everyone forgot… It would still take about 2 years before it really got serious…







In the mean time, I’m gonna eat some pancakes




Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment