Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Fare thee well...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 3 - Fare thee well...

Chapter 3 - Fare thee well...
I still remember the day that Blain came home late in the evening... Normally, he is dressed in his regular outfit rather then his uniform. But that evening, he came home in his uniform… Grey, white and black uniform with pockets and logo’s… I remember how it felt when I hugged him that evening. He took my hand and we sat down on the couch…



Nicole: What’s wrong hun…?
Blain: We’re being shipped out…
Nicole: What, like an exercise? You’ve been shipped out to dozens of exotic locations. I’m a little envious of you.

Then he shook his head…



Nicole: No…?
Blain: No…
Nicole: Then what is it?
Blain: It’s not an exercise this time…
Nicole: You mean…

Then he nodded…



Blain: We’re being shipped out to the north…
Nicole: No…
Blain: Yeah…
Nicole: But…
Blain: We’re not the only ones going…
Nicole: No but…
Blain: Hm…?
Nicole: I don’t want you to go… I mean… It’s dangerous! People get killed out there!

Blain: That’s why we’re being sent there to do something about it…
Nicole: Isn’t there a way so that you don’t have to go?!
Blain: … No, I’m afraid not… We’re already a part of it…
Nicole: But what do you think of it yourself?! Don’t you get anything to say about it?!

Blain: Look… Nicole… These humans, they have no money, no food, no education, no future or just about anything… And there are two things I can do… Help them by doing something, or sit back and watch them destroy themselves on television…

He’s got a point… And I didn’t like it… Everything just looked so grim all of a sudden… I mean…There always was a possibility that he could be send out on missions there, but I just didn’t think about it. And now that he is going I’m afraid all of a sudden… I’m worried… I wish I could do anything to stop it, but there was nothing I could do…



He came home on a Friday and for the last two days, he was quiet… He didn’t talk much… Everyone could see he had a hard time going there and I didn’t think it was because he was afraid that he might get hurt there. I think he was worried because of all the things happening there. Memories of the first war that got suppressed as the years went by. And now all of a sudden, it feels like everything came back. Technically, it’s not even a war their waging in the north, but I guess he felt like it was already a full-blown war. And whatever he did, there was nothing he could do to change it… And I guess that was the most difficult thing for him…



Sunday evening at around 19:00 pm everyone got out to say goodbye to him. When they heard he had to go to the north, it was something they didn’t expect, and yet everyone knew it was possible for him to go… Amy was fixing his collar of his uniform as we all stood there to say goodbye to him



Amy: There…
Blain: Thanks Amy… *hugs Amy*
Amy: Don’t mention it… Be careful out there ok…? *hugs Blain*
Blain: Yeah, I will…

He gave a weak smile as the others came forward to say goodbye…



Cody: Sergeant, might I say you’re looking absolutely fabulous in you’re uniform?
Blain: Hehehe, stupid…
Cody: Hey, don’t worry about it. Things are gonna be ok…
Blain: I know…
Cody: C’mere man… *hugs Blain*
Blain: *hugs Cody*
Cody: Be careful out there.
Blain: Will do.

Rouge: Wait, wait, you got a smudge on your cheek.
Blain: Where?
Rouge: Hold still. *wipes smudge away*
Blain: How old do you think I am? *smiles*
Rouge: I’m still older.
Blain: That’s true.
Rouge: Yup… *hugs Blain*
Blain: *hugs Rouge*
Rouge: Take care, pincushion…
Blain: *nods and smiles*

Sonic: Well, I wish I could go but…
Blain: But what?
Sonic: Bad knee ya know?
Blain: Hehehe.
Sonic: Just get back home safe alright?
Blain: Yeah, will do. *hugs Sonic*
Sonic: *hugs Blain*

Knuckles: See if you can find a souvenir or something while you’re there…
Blain: What’d you like?
Knuckles: I don’t know, a coffee mug or something. Anything.
Blain: I’ll see what I can dig up. I better get hazard pay… *smiles nervously*
Knuckles: Hehehe… *hugs Blain*
Blain: *hugs Knuckles*
Knuckles: Get back home in one piece or I’ll make sure you will.
Blain: Hehe…

Julie-Su: You look handsome in a uniform, ya know that?
Blain: Oh come on…
Julie-Su: No really, chicks dig that. Just look at Nicole, she’s drooling all over you.

Nicole: *smiles*
Blain: What about him over there?
Julie-Su: Yeah I got my Knuxie-poo. You gotta see if you can arrange a uniform for him.

Lara-Su: Mooooooooom…
Blain: Knuxie-poo…
Knuckles: Hey shut up.
Julie-Su: Be safe Blain.
Blain: *nods*
Julie-Su: Heh…
Blain: Lara...
Lara-Su: You really wanna go...?
Blain: Nope… But I’ll have to…
Lara-Su: How long will you be gone?
Blain: No idea. But you’ll see me popping up when I’m home.
Lara-Su: I’m gonna miss you… *hugs Blain*
Blain: I know… I’m gonna miss you too… *hugs Lara-Su*

Then Blain looked at me… We cuddled for a long time and kissed as he stared in my eyes. He didn’t say anything to me. Not an “I love you” or “I’m gonna miss you”… Nothing. Maybe he couldn’t do it. Maybe it was hard for him to say that. Like it was saying farewell to each other… He compensated words with kisses and cuddles… It only lasted for 10 minutes or something but it seemed like forever. And with that, he turned around to look at everyone, and walked away with a huge backpack without looking back…



I had no idea what was waiting over there for me. Although the whole situation up north seems to calm down, and although we were fully protected by bases, sentries and battle armour, I still had a funny feeling when I left. Maybe it’s because a part of me stayed in that village. Just the idea of risking my life once again for something that isn’t even my fight was enough for me not to go. It’s because I got things to live for unlike the old days. I got Nicole, Sonic and all the other guys… Lara-Su who was practically my own daughter They weren’t just friends anymore, but they became family. And it feels like I’m abandoning them while I should be there and watch over them. Shadow told me once that he feels like we’re soulmates. That he could relate to me and every situation I’ve been in. Struggling with yourself when the world is against you. I had that a long time ago, and I got everything that made it worth to fight for. I’m glad I fought back then for the things I cherish now, but it didn’t made any sense back then. So why did I fought back then? Just for the frack of it? Maybe, I don’t know…



As soon as I reached the base, Tavish was already packing his gear. He was the first one to arrive on that Sunday night. He asked me questions about what was going to happen, but there was no answer I could give him. Truth be told, I had no idea myself. And not long after that, the others of my regiment dripped in one by one until the group was complete. We talked for hours about what was bothering them and asking questions which I couldn’t answer…



The next day, everyone was still nervous. We only had sleep for a few hours and I tried to let them relax as much as possible by doing the things they did the most. Some went down the firing range, others went to the obstacle course while some others just stayed in the barracks and read a book or something. But the tension could be seen in their eyes as they didn’t know what was gonna happen once we get onboard of the Titan.



Monday afternoon, sixteen hundred hours. The whole regiment got together in the briefing room as we waited nervously for our assignment. Then some big chief walks in. I’ve never seen him before…



Blain: Attention on deck!!
Major: At east.

Then we all sat down again as that major guy fired up holographic images and animations on the table of all sorts of things.



Major: As you have heard last Friday, one of our outposts was under attack. Recon shows out there no survivors of the attack and currently, the first two titans took off with reinforcements. We will be sending an additional 568,231 troops, scattered in a V formation. Most of these troops are communication engineers to get everything working there again. You will be stationed away from the frontline, but on high alert. This is all just a precaution just encase as they try to work out diplomatic solutions and bring those who were responsible for the attack to justice. This mission will take at most three weeks, so if everything works out, you’ll be home in no time. Keep in mind to have you’re eyes peeled. If you see something, don’t shoot until fired upon, and also inform you’re commanding officer. Remember, this is a peace mission, not some brawl alley shoot out. Tonight at zero hundred hours you’ll be leaving by Titan dropship, along with tanks and battlewalkers. The Titan itself will be escorted by 5 UH-51 Nyra Gunships.

Everyone was a bit baffled including me. I thought it was much worse than that… And we’re only being stationed there until we got something to do… It’s kinda like a holiday actually…



Major: Questions?
Onyx: Is that everything sir?
Major: Yes, pretty much. Anyone else?

Then we all looked around to see if anyone else had questions. Nope…



Major: Very well. Have a safe journey. Dismissed.

Then we walked out of the briefing room with our morals raised. Everyone started joking and laughing again and for the rest of the day, we continued doing things we liked.



As night came, we all packed our gear and went to the Titan area. It was still a few kilometres away but we didn’t mind… Once we got there, we saw only one Titan, and that thing was so big it was about a hundred and twenty four storeys high and at least a kilometre in length. The huge loading platforms were supported by two massive hydraulic pumps as you could hear heavy boots stamping on the steel plated floors. Tanks, battlewalkers, 4x4 recon vehicles, supplies and lots more were loaded onboard. Everything on the Titan just radiates raw power and the guys and I were impressed by the sheer magnitude of this thing as we continued walking towards it



As soon as we checked in, we looked for a spot to gather. They all sit down on the ground and placed their gear next to them, as they continued joking and laughing. It was actually hard to hear them, because of the noise everyone else made and the sounds of the tanks and battlewalkers…



Blain: Guys listen up. I want you to realize one thing. Although we are away from the frontline and are stationed just encase, I want you to realize this is dead serious. People get killed out there, and I do not want to lose any of you.

Argento: You’re too fond of us sarge?!
Blain: Yes, especially you Argento. Don’t tell me the time in the shower didn’t mean anything to you.

Then everyone just laughed and sucker punched Argento. It’s all fun and games to them, but I want them to realize it’s dangerous…



Blain: Things might turn out different once we get there. And if it does, put you’re training to use. You know how to survive and what to do. Everything is explained in the book. But it’s way different once you killed for the very first time. You’ll change. I changed…

Then they all just looked at me…



Ryder: What was it like sir…?

Blain: It’s something I don’t wanna wish my worst enemy… You’re forced to take lives after lives as you go on. But it’s all natural. You don’t think about it. Not only after it’s truly over and those images will haunt you. Losing friends you’ve been with for a very long time… It’s something you can’t describe, except I can tell that I know what I’m talking about. I did things back then I’m not proud of, and I regret most of it. I didn’t think of it then, but I guess that’s the reason why I deflected. At first I thought I deflected to keep myself alive once we realized we were losing the war. But it was much deeper then that. And that’s something I don’t regret. It gave me freedom and something worth to fight for, although I paid a very high price for it. But I got there. And I earned it more then anyone could...

You could see they were thinking. They were even more puzzled now as to the question where I came from. But I think the message was clear to them though. Once I noticed they were looking at my scars and my left arm, I knew the message was clear to them.



Blain: Do what you’re told… Put use in what you’ve learned and ya’ll go home in one piece.

Rico: Will do sir.

Blain: Here, catch.

I got out a pack of bubblegum and threw everyone a piece. Then it was time to board the Titan. Instead of getting up themselves, I helped them getting up by lending a hand. My left hand to be exact. They felt the metallic structure of it, and once they got on their feet, I looked them in their eyes. Words didn’t mean anything at that moment. They could all see what I meant and they nodded as they got onboard one by one on the Titan. Two hours later, we set off…



While I was onboard, I decided to call Nicole. I missed her, and I think she was worried…



Phone: … Hello…?
Blain: Hey it’s me…
Phone: Blain?! How are you doing?! Are you already there?!
Blain: No… I’m onboard of the Titan and we just left. I didn’t wake you did I?
Phone: No! Of course not! Are you worried…?
Blain: No. We’re being stationed away from the front line and only come in action when we need to.

Phone: Any information of how long you’ll be staying there…?
Blain: Yeah, three weeks at most. So I’ll be home before you know it. We’re only meant as back-up.

Phone: That’s good to hear…
Blain: Yeah… How’s Lara doing?
Phone: Hehe, she already misses you. She wants to know if you’re gonna make pancakes once you get home.

Blain: I might… Hehehe… So she’s with you?
Phone: Yeah, along with everyone else.
Blain: Tell them I said hi ok?
Phone: Will do.
Blain: Listen, I got to go now. There are others waiting.
Phone: Alright then…
Blain: I try to call as soon as I got another opportunity ok?
Phone: Ok… Be careful.
Blain: Will do…
Phone: I love you…
Blain: I love you too… Bye…
Phone: Bye…

For some reason, I had a lot of trouble disconnecting the call. There was this feeling I had, like I was saying goodbye already. And apparently, Nicole had the same… She couldn’t hang up either. I stood there with the telephone receiver in my hand for a while, staring in blank space until one of the guys asked me if I was done already…



It was good to hear from Blain… Except I couldn’t shake of this feeling that something was about to happen. He sounded relaxed and mellow, but as soon as we said goodbye it was like we were saying farewell…



And that same night, I had that same bad dream again…













Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment