Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Waiting for an explanation that will never come...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 6 - Waiting for an explanation that will never come...

Chapter 6 - Waiting for an explanation that will never come...
Everyone who experienced the artillery barrage was changed. Even I was changed. Even the people who weren’t wounded were still victims. Victims of witnessing you’re friends being blow up… Victims of witnessing you’re friends dieing in you’re arms… It left a scar on anyone who was there during the artillery barrage…



We’ve been walking for 2 weeks now… We were tired… Cold… Hungry… Thirsty… There wasn’t much food or water left, but we took some supplies we got from a wrecked base we encountered a week earlier. We encountered a lot of enemy activity but always managed to stay at a distance and hide until it was safe. We didn’t had much weapons, and even less ammo. Weapons were used as a last resort and we send out scouts to scan the surroundings for threats before we all went into that direction. So far, there was no gunfight with enemy soldiers. Our plan was to meet up with the 503rd regiment stationed 130 kilometres away. But… Advancing went slow… Our moral was very low, and everyone only talked when something was asked. Fear, desolation, anger and hate could be seen in every person’s eye, and truth be told, I was scared shootless… On our way, we picked up a few survivors and they were up-to-date on the current situation. As soon I heard the name “Deberan”, I couldn’t help but to worry… Every day, I was worrying about Nicole, and if she and the others were alright… I was scared shootless right from the very beginning and stories about Deberan being bombarded by artillery to drive out the MNAF troops was one of those things that really scared me. I’ve seen war before, and even I was scared shootless but imagine what it must have been like for those who never actually witnessed it?



Then one night it was raining while we were walking through the muddy, tall grass plains. Just up ahead is a dirt road that is used by people who usually take a walk through the forests or something. You could still see a traffic sign indicating a walking human. Then gradually, stomping sounds in the distance could be heard, along with the roaring engines of the powerful tanks and human boots stamping on mud… That was a scary moment… As soon as the first battlewalker got out of the forest in the distance, we got as low as possible, as more were arriving… Five of them, walking in a V formation while there were 5 tanks and infantry of around 30 men behind the tanks… There was no way we could run, because if we ran now, we would’ve been seen for sure. So all we could do was to lay still as possible and pray we wouldn’t be seen…



But, as soon as they were passing in front of us, we heard a loud explosion. Not long after that, more explosions were heard and one of the battlewalkers got tilted and landed not too far from me



Blain: Cease fire…!! Cease fire for fracks sake…!! Tavish: No one shot on our side, sir…!!

Then another explosion was heard and another Battlewalker fell down. A few guys jumped up to avoid the battlewalker falling on them, but, of course, they got noticed and a few soldiers turned towards them and started firing as our guys sought cover behind the fallen battlewalker…



Blain: Oh shoot… Suppressing fire!!!
Tavish: Suppressing fire!!!!

Then one by one, the tanks exploded as the two remaining battlewalkers turned to the other side. Then they started firing, but exploded not long after that… A few soldiers were still alive but got shot down quickly. As soon as it looked safe, we ran towards the wrecks to take cover to see what caused the explosion. The few weapons we had were aimed at the grass



???: Don’t shoot!! Friendlies coming out!!

Then a few guys were standing up. Armadillo’s, echidna’s, hedgehogs and even a lion…



???: Hot damn!! Furries!! Holy shoot!! Am I glad to see you guys! Sergeant Regan, 503rd regiment.

Then he shook my hand…



Blain: Sergeant Blain, 506th.
Regan: 506th…? Weren’t you guys on that Titan?
Blain: Yeah… Yeah we were. It got shot down 2 weeks ago, and we are the only survivors. We’ve been walking for weeks now, trying to find you guys…

Regan: I’m sorry to disappoint, but our outpost got annihilated… We are the only survivors as well, just because we were out in the field…

Blain: I see… How did you take these things out…?
Regan: Improvised bombs and anti-tank missiles…

I was staring at those wrecks and the dead human bodies… All this time, I haven’t killed anybody, and yet it felt I was responsible for it as well… And at that point, I realized I was changed dramatically. That I’m no longer the person I used to be, but changed into the complete opposite I once was…



Regan: Yeah, we were expecting them. Except we didn’t expect these guys.

Blain: Whadda ya mean?
Regan: We were hoping for a supply convoy to restock supplies, but instead, these guys came. We don’t have much either…

Blain: We got even less… I don’t even have a weapon…
Regan: … That’s not much indeed.
Blain: Listen… You got a place for us to stay…? A five star hotel with comfortable beds, hot showers and food maybe…?

Regan: We do have a hotel, except it got shot to pieces. All that’s intact is the lobby and the first floor. You can spend the night at the second floor, if you like panoramic views. It can get chilly during the night though.

Blain: Hehehe…
Regan: It’s in a town near by. We’ll see what we can do to help you guys.
Blain: Much appreciated…
Regan: Don’t mention it.
Blain: 506th!! Listen up!! Search the convoy and look for any supplies that you can use!! Take as much as you can carry!!

Regan: We’re leaving in fifteen minutes. We can’t stay here too long or they will notice us. See what you can find.

Blain: Will do. Thanks.

We quickly loaded up supplies from those humans. Mostly ammo and weapons, but we also found some bottles of water and food the soldiers were carrying. I don’t know if it was ethical to do, but we did anyway. We took their food and water, seeing as we were starving. Then not long after that, we headed towards a small town not too far away, about half an hour walking. We’ve been walking for weeks now, so this half an hour shouldn’t be too much of a problem either…


On the way there, we didn’t encounter any problem. When we arrived in that little town, it got shot to pieces. It was actually a bit scary to see. We tried to get some sleep at night in a huge lobby that used to be a hotel or something… I tried to sleep, but I couldn’t… For some reason, I was thinking about the artillery barrage that rained down on us 2 weeks earlier and was thinking how many guys I’ve lost… I lost a lot of guys in one day… My guys… Guys who I trained for more then two years… And it hurts, you know… As I looked around, I can still see them sitting somewhere and arsing around with the others… Then I made a list of my guys who perished…



Every time I was naming one… It looked like they vanished in thin air… I got out a picture of Nicole, and stared at it… I was talking to her in my thoughts, like the picture could actually hear me and if it would actually talk back. Trying to get a touch… Wondering if she’s ok…



Regan: Sergeant!

I didn’t hear him at first. I still stared at the picture until I felt someone shaking my shoulders. As I looked up, I noticed it was Regan



Regan: You ok? You look a little carried away.
Blain: Yeah, I’m fine.
Regan: … You sure? You’re not convincing me.
Blain: *nods*
Regan: Alright then. Let’s get you’re gear. Follow me.


Then he walked away. So I got up to follow him. He took us to a room where there were a few cases of ammo spread out on a table. A very large .50 cal sniper rifle was also seen, and judging by the design, it wasn’t ours. Two shot guns with 15 rounds, and 5 assault rifles with 6 clips and 3 pistols with 2 clips. And that’s it



Blain: … This is everything you got…?
Regan: Yeah. Sucks, doesn’t it?
Blain: … A lot.
Regan: Alright hotshot, pick something.
Blain: Franchise SPAS-21…
Regan: Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun. Made by Franchise Industries, and manufactured by humans. The SPAS series was long considered to be illegal until this recent model brought change in that. Fires .12 gauge buck shot slugs with a velocity of around 800 metres a second and is operated by gas canisters. Deadly accurate at point blank range and could chop a limb clean off.

Blain: You did your home work.
Regan: Yup… Weapons specialist. In charge of all the tactical weaponry and devices.

Blain: How about that sniper rifle?
Regan: … Fifty cal. Those bullets are bigger then the average brain of a human. They can penetrate armoured vehicles and shoot through cockpit windows, so once someone got you in sight with that rifle, you’re nowhere to be safe.

Blain: Shotgun and pistol.
Regan: You sure?
Blain: Yeah. I got an assault rifle.
Regan: Take care of them. Respect them and they’ll respect you.
Blain: … You sound like I’ve never seen combat before…
Regan: *sighs* I’m sorry… I don’t mean it like that.
Blain: I know. Let’s go.

We walked out of the room and went towards the lobby. At some point, Regan gestured to take a look in a room… What we saw were a few civilians on the ground and couches asleep… Well it was late in the night…



Regan: We found a few civilians on the way…
Blain: What are you planning to do with them?
Regan: I don’t know… All we can do is just keep watch over them… We can’t do much in the mean time… All we can do is hiding and wait until reinforcements come…

Blain: I see…

I looked at all those civilians and although there were only a few, ranging from a few kids to a few old ones to adults and teens, Nicole kept on wandering through my mind… I just gotta make sure…



Blain: Look eh… You got a phone somewhere…?

Regan: Yeah but the line’s dead. A few days ago, they blew up the power plants, leaving us without electricity… We do have a portable satellite phone… Maybe that’ll work… Why…?

Blain: Because… I have to call someone… I… I just need to make sure she’s alright…

Regan: You’re daughter…? Girlfriend…?
Blain: *nods slowly* Girlfriend…
Regan: I see… Give it a try…

He walked away while I stared at those civilians, sleeping like a baby… I didn’t understand how they could do that, just to sleep like that, without worrying… Not long after that, I felt a hand on my shoulder and Regan handed me the satellite phone… I dialled Nicole’s number… Nothing… Not even a tone… So I tried again… Again, no tone… And again… And again… And again… I spent at least half an hour trying to call…



Regan: … Blain…
Blain: She can’t be… I mean… She wouldn’t give up just like that… She ju-… She just can’t be…

Regan: Well… When I called my girlfriend, she was still at home… And… I told her to flee… She said she was going with a few others, so I told her to come over here… She arrived last night, and hasn’t been awake since… I stayed with her until she fell asleep… And I’m just waiting for her to wake up… So… Don’t worry… She’ll be here… You’ll see… She’ll be fine…

Blain: Yeah…

Then it stayed quiet for a while…


Blain: So which one’s you’re girlfriend…?
Regan: The one with the crimson curls…
Blain: … She’s pretty… You oughtta considerate yourself lucky…
Regan: … Yeah…

Not long after that, we closed the doors and continued our way to the lobby, where everyone else was. Some were asleep, but most of them were still awake. They were talking about the situation and what is exactly happening out there…



Regan: Any word?
Dreez: No sir… Communication is dead sir… TOC doesn’t respond and all I get when I try to call command centre is static radio… And besides, looks like the satellite phone is gonna be dead in just a few days…

Regan: They cut off communication so that we can’t regroup or to plan a counter attack against them… These frackers sure know a lot about every move we make…

Logan: You think we got a snitch somewhere sir?
Regan: Naah, I’m not saying that… But… It seems kinda suspicious…
Blain: So what exactly has been happening the last few weeks…?

Reno: Apparently… Some guy committed a coup on their ex-government…
Regan: Which also happened to be the head of GUN…
Tavish: All I know is that he didn’t liked the way humans lived. Very poor without proper education and shoot. Hell they fight over clothes, so what do you expect?

Blain: So did the coup succeed?
Jarod: That’s the strange thing. As far as I heard, it didn’t succeed…
Rico: But he’s very powerful… Has made a lot of friends and enemies…
Logan: Yeah, that’s true, that slipped my mind.
Jarod: Yeah but… If the coup didn’t succeed, how come GUN was still able to cross the line…?

Blain: Depends on the type of government. They call it a Junta.
Logan: A what?

Blain: Junta. It’s a type of government where the military decides what’s best.
Jarod: Yeah but why was it ever established?
Tavish: Politics.
Jarod: Huh?

Tavish: After the first war ended 23 years ago, the humans founded the GUN and ICA organisations. The reason why they founded it and why GUN rules supreme is because it was a very hectic period for them. A government couldn’t deal with the bloody situation that was happening while we were living in peace and prosperity as they were waging civil wars and riots. And after all those years, it still was ruled by GUN.

Logan: Yeah but, why now? That really bothers me…
Reno: I know for certain that even GUN had restrictions… I guess they got so fed up with the situation that they just didn’t give a shoot no more. And that they started without permission or something. Because let’s face it. These guys are heavily armed. No one can take them on. GUN has a lot of enemies, but no one can touch them… No one is stupid enough to assault them…

Jarod: Dreez, any word of how many cities got invaded…?
Dreez: … A lot…
Jarod: Casualties…?
Dreez: …… A lot…
Jarod: *sighs*

Blain: Any word of Deberan…?
Dreez: As a matter a fact, I did… I got radioed by a friend of mine who was stationed with the 302nd near Deberan…

Blain: … And…?
Dreez: Last night, there were heavy fights in and around the city… But… They had to retreat… There are a lot of civilian casualties…

Blain: Anyone made it out alive…?
Dreez: No, I’m sorry… People who were on the run got hit by the gunfire… He reported that no civilians got out alive…

I kept staring into blank space when I heard that… It’s… I don’t know… I felt I was gonna cry or something… And that isn’t really something I wanna show… As they kept on talking, I retreated to a room and sat on a bed. Whatever hope I had left that Nicole was still alive got shattered to pieces and it only got worse as I stared at her picture… And… The longer I stared at it, the emptier I felt on the inside… I wish I told her goodbye… Gave her one last hug… One last kiss… One last stare in her dark purple eyes…



That night while I was in bed, I kept her picture close… I talked to her in my mind, like she could actually hear me… I only wished it could talk back and comforted me to deal with such a great loss… But… Nothing that night could have comfort me… It was only then I realized how much she means to me, and how precious she was… But I took it for granted that she always was there and now she just isn’t… I guess you don’t know what you’re missing until it’s not there anymore… And then I realized how sorry I am for not telling her how much I loved her, how much she means to me… It’s been a very long time since I’ve shed a tear, but that night, I cried my eyes out without a sound… Sometimes you hear stories of people who recently lost a loved one, appearing in a dream… I wished I had that… I wish I could see her in my dream that night… But she never came… And maybe that’s why I began to think she’s better off right now then to witness all those horrors that are being seen outside… Maybe it was selfish of me to think I wanted to be with her… Because if you really love someone, you’ll let her go, especially if its something when you don’t want her to experience… But that didn’t help me that night

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kittyshootingstar on June 9, 2008, 1:18:38 PM

kittyshootingstar on
kittyshootingstarSheesh, both of them think the other's dead. That's gotta stink.