Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - You would've known...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 8 - You would've known...

Chapter 8 - You would've known...
I couldn’t sleep all night… Neither could I during the day. My mattress got soaked with tears. All night I’ve been staring at Nicole’s picture not knowing what to think. My hands never stopped shaking after hearing the message. Slowly but steady, I felt sorrow made room for anger, and the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. Something precious that went to waste just like that. I didn’t understand. And because I didn’t understand, it made me angry. Then at some point, I opened my eyes and everything was just gone. No more sorrow. There was only hate… One whole day passed by with nothing happening… I didn’t even know the time, but as I looked, I saw it was night and thought that the time passed really slowly…



Regan: Sergeant!

I looked up and noticed Regan standing in the doorway. I quickly wiped my eyes and looked at him…



Blain: What ya got Regan?
Regan: Nothing good worth to mention. Follow me. We got a lot of things to do.

So I got up and grabbed my gear. The picture of Nicole was placed in my pocket again, and I walked outside. It was a chilly night in September… A bit of a depressing night… No moon, just grey clouds with a few stars I called out my squad and we all assembled near some crates.



Regan: Guys, listen up. Recon One contacted an hour ago. He’s scattered about 14 kilometres away from our position. Recon One reported infantry of around 2500 enemy troops mobilizing. According to him, their regiments are being dispatched and going separate ways, and one of them is heading our way. Heavily armed, escorted by unknown amount of armour.

Reno: So what you’re saying is, is that we have to retreat, sir?

Regan: No. What I’m saying is, is that we should make our way to Robotropolis while we still can and leave two Recon’s here that can provide us with information. If we can, we’ll take them on and get their supplies.

Jarod: Robotropolis…? Isn’t that a human city…?
Blain: Yes, it is… Except it’s abandoned for years…
Regan: Exactly…

Tavish: What about the civilians, sir?

Regan: We’ll take them with us. The safest way is that we team up in a group of 2 or 3 and take two civilians along as we all take separate routes to Robotropolis. That way, we’re making sure we take the least risk. If you encounter trouble on the way, make sure you get a clean shot before firing. The best thing is to avoid a fire fight at all.

Blain: … Sounds good.
Regan: Questions?
All: No sir.

Regan: Notify everyone and get you’re things. We’re leaving in 5 minutes.

Not long after that, all of the civilians got to together and got assigned to two of us. I went with Jarod, and two civilians went with us. Then we all made our way to Robotropolis…



We went off in different directions, trying to get the shortest route. We went through the forests and no one talked. We had to duck a few times, believing we were seeing something but it turned out to be an animal or moving branches that projected shadows on the trees. About 5 hours later, we finally arrived…



Walking through the deserted streets of Robotropolis was hard. I haven’t been here in years and all sorts of memories speed by… The whole city was destroyed and not many buildings were still standing. Everywhere you looked, you saw wrecks of destroyed droids, tank wrecks, vehicle wrecks, and bullet holes in walls reminded me what was happening here a long time ago. And that I was a part of it. It sends chills down my spines as the only sounds we heard were our footsteps.



Blain: Take a look at that Jarod…
Jarod: Yeah… Ever seen anything like it before…?
Blain: … As a matter of fact, I have…
Jarod: Something similar, sir…?
Blain: No, the exact same place…
Jarod: You’ve been here before …?
Blain: Yeah… Imagine… Fifty thousand people used to here… Now it’s a ghost town…

Jarod: … Yeah…


As we were walking through the dark streets, I couldn’t help but to feel a little nervous. With every street we passed, we looked around to see if we could see any threats, but it was all clear… Not a living soul in this whole forsaken city… No wind, not even a little breeze… No sound whatsoever… And that’s what made me nervous…



Jarod: Sir…
Blain: What is it Jarod?
Jarod: You hear that…?
Blain: What…?
Jarod: Ssh…


We stopped dead in our tracks… Jarod ears went upright and twitched every now and then as he suspiciously looked around. I took a look at the two civilians that were just standing there, looking a bit uneasy. I haven’t really took a good look at them, and they weren’t really the types you would notice, although one of ‘em was two heads bigger then me… She was a lioness, so I didn’t really know how I couldn’t notice her. And the other one was girl as well. A hedgehog. Light blue, with brown streaks going down her quills and she wore yellow glasses. And all this time, they haven’t said anything…



Jarod: Gunship inbound.
Blain: Oh shoot! Go!!

At that point, a gunship flew by fast… There was no time for us to run, otherwise it would have seen us… We got as low as possible to the ground and moved very slowly towards a wreck. Luckily, the gunship moved on…



Lioness: You think we’re safe…?
Jarod: Wait, wait…

Jarod peeks over the wreck…



Jarod: He’s making a one eighty turn…
Blain: Stay low, he might have not noticed us…
Jarod: He’s coming closer…
Blain: Stay put…
Jarod: He noticed us…
Blain: Stay down Jarod…
Jarod: Yeah, he noticed us.

At that point, the gunship fired its weapons at the wreck, with the intention of driving us out from behind it. We didn’t fell for that, until the gunship got behind the wreck… And I swear, we were staring directly at the cannons… At that point, we ran like frack… Sprint my legs out of my @$$… The lioness and the hedgehog got pushed in a small alley where the gunship couldn’t go, while Jarod and I distracted the gunship. At some point, we reached a dead end and the gunship was flying towards us… Then all of a sudden, a massive shot was heard and for a second there, I thought I saw the cockpit of the gunship being splattered with blood… It started to sway and it hit one of the buildings. It continues to sway as it kept on colliding with buildings and at some point, it lost his tail and started to spin around. I pulled Jarod away and stayed as low as possible as the spinning gunship hit the ledge of a roof and took some concrete with it… It flipped up side down and made its way to the ground… A couple of hundred meters in front of us…



Jarod: … What the *pants* hell… *pants*
Blain: …*pants* You don’t see that- *pants* Every day… *pants*
Jarod: *pants* What happened that made it crash…?
Blain: … Let’s find out… *pants*

Jarod and I got out our weapons and went towards the crashed gunship. I grabbed my shotgun from my back and placed a few rounds in it. It makes this particular noise when you cock it. It sounds like “Klick Klack” and noticed an empty shell ejected… I didn’t know it back then but… I was about to do something that I haven’t done in years…



Jarod: Holy shoot… Look…
Blain: What?
Jarod: The pilot got shot down… It’s got a bullet hole in the glass…
Blain: Yeah…
Jarod: Who shot him…?

Then we heard the co-pilot grunting… He crawled out of the cockpit with a lot of pain and effort and we noticed his leg was dislocated, along with other wounds he had… Jarod and I stared at him… Something just snapped inside of me all of a sudden… I felt that hate again… The more I thought about it, the angrier I became… I placed the barrel of the shotgun against the human’s head…



Jarod: Sarge, no…
Blain: He doesn’t deserve to live Jarod… No one will miss him… You think it’s fair that he shot at us with the intention to kill all four of us…?

Jarod: No but…
Blain: Jarod.
Jarod: Yes sir?
Blain: Go find the two civilians and get them safe.
Jarod: But-
Blain: Do it, that’s an order.
Jarod: Yes sir…

Then he walked off as I still aimed at that human… And there was nothing I felt… No regrets… No remorse… No compassion… I saw the scared look in his face but I just couldn’t give a frack… As soon as he reaches out for something, I squeezed the trigger… It made an ear deafening noise as his face got hit with 8 lead balls… His head just splattered apart… There wasn’t much left of his face after that… He fell down onto the ground… Chucks of flesh and chips of bone were everywhere… I heard a “Klick Klack” again and a shell ejected… It fell down on the ground and that made a particular sound… The red and yellow shotgun shell hit the ground as it still smokes… And I walked away without looking back… And that was the first life I took ever since… Many more would follow…



Twenty three years… It took me twenty three years to change into the person I became… You know how long it took to change back…? Two days… Only two daysI wanted retribution for what they’ve done to me… Eye for an eye… I had to settle a score… It’s because they took Nicole’s life… I thought it would help me… To get my revenge… But it didn’t… Because no matter how many humans I was going to kill in the years following, the score never reached anywhere that Nicole was worth… Five hundred, a thousand, ten thousand… It never gets near… Humans are worthless



I was walking through the streets, staring in blank space. Then all of a sudden, I felt an arm shaking my shoulder. I turned around and aimed my shotgun at someone… Took me a moment to realize it was Jarod with the two civilians…



Jarod: Whoa!! Sarge!! It’s me!!
Blain: …
Jarod: You ok?!
Blain: *nods*
Jarod: Come on… Let’s go find the others…

Robotropolis is a very big city to cross… It’s easy to get lost… I tried my best to remember every street but it wasn’t easy. We couldn’t find them. The city was just too big… At some point, we gave up searching and decided to look again in the morning… I took us to my “home” to spend the night… And everything was shot to pieces… As soon as that lioness and hedgehog fell asleep, Jarod and I took a walk through the large building… Because there was no electricity, we looked around with flashlights. Every inch of that building came back… And at some point, we arrived at the cryochambers… This is where it was all happening… I was created in this very same room…



Jarod: … Cryochambers…?
Blain: Yeah…
Jarod: Whoever did this must have been one sick frack… It’s like playing as Mother Nature…

Blain: In some way, he was…
Jarod: … Who…?

I didn’t answer his question… I saw a cryochamber with a steel plate… I wiped the dust off it…



Blain: Epsilon 939… “Tyrone”…
Jarod: … All of them were created…?
Blain: … Yeah…
Jarod: Ooh…

Then I moved over to another chamber… I wiped the plate…



Blain: Epsilon 345… “Cyrus”…
Jarod: … So… Their all dead…?
Blain: Yeah… All but one…
Jarod: Then where’s he…?

Then I wiped the plate next to it… And it was my plate…



Blain: Epsilon 223… “Blain”…
Jarod: What…?
Blain: Yeah…
Jarod: Whoa, wait a sec… You’re telling me you’re created… Sir…?
Blain: *nods*…
Jarod: Including that whole… RRTS thing…?
Blain: *nods*
Jarod: … Holy frack…
Blain: So now you know… How much is in the pot…?
Jarod: Excuse me sir?
Blain: The pot, how much money does it have in total…?
Jarod: Eeh, 560 dinar in total sir…
Blain: Well, I told you that my origin lies with the RRTS… So… How about you and me split the pot and call it even…?

Jarod: Works fine with me sir…
Blain: Hehe…

Then I noticed a few other pods…



Blain: Whoa… Waaaaaaaait a minute…
Jarod: What?
Blain: More pods…
Jarod: … So?
Blain: Something isn’t right…

Then I wiped the plates and looked at it…



Blain: Sigma-Alpha 214… “Ayden”…
Jarod: …
Blain: Sigma-Alpha 387… “Jag”…
Jarod: The poor bastard never made it. There’s a skeleton in there…
Blain: Yeah… Except this one is forced open… Look…
Jarod: It’s all broken…

Then I wiped the plate on the broken chamber…



Blain: … Sigma-Alpha 301… “Scyth”…
???: I knew you’d be back one day…

Hearing that voice so all of a sudden freaked us out… We aimed our weapons to the location where we heard the voice, and as soon as we shined our flashlights at it, I saw it was a hedgehog… A dark red one, with dark skin coloured furpatch and similar patterns as me. His patterns were dark blue, like my fur colour and he had three ear rings in his left ear. He was covered in scars and even a huge burn mark could be seen on one of his back quills. He holds a massive sniper rifle as he slowly walked towards us… He wipes the plate of the chamber as well as we looked at him…



Hedgehog: Sigma-Alpha 301 is something I haven’t heard in years… It’s always either “Get that fracktard!!” or “Make sure he’s dead this time!!” Scyth is something some people address me by… But only if they know me… And as for the others… I’m like a ghost…

We stared a long time at him…



Scyth: Yup… Believe it…
Blain: So what’s your story…?
Scyth: My story…? My story is exactly the same as yours, except they never stopped hunting me down… You can say I’m a long lost brother of yours…

Blain: Wait, what?
Scyth: I’m glad I finally found… I know there are more… Where are they…? You know where they are…?

Blain: Epsilon 939 and Epsilon 345 died in combat a long time ago… There’s one being dead in the cryochambers and I don’t know what happened to the other one…

He sits down on one of the cryochambers and sighed as he placed his rifle next to him. He looked a little desperate to say the least, and for a second there, I think he was actually gonna cry…



Scyth: *sighs* We’re never gonna make it…
Blain: What are you talking about…?
Scyth: You don’t know what it’s all about, do you?
Blain: … No.
Scyth: Come on, follow me… I think you and I need a little chat…
Blain: Look… Talk to me tomorrow… We need our sleep… We encountered trouble on the way and we’re really tired…

Scyth: … As you will. Keep in mind that time is running out for you…

At that point, he walked away… And although I was anxious to know what he was talking about, I skipped it. I wanted to sleep first. I was still baffled by the fact that there is another one… And the strange thing is… How come I never knew Cyrus, Tyrone and me weren’t the only ones…? I’ll guess I’ll hear it the next day…



Jarod and I made our way back to the lioness and that hedgehog, who were still asleep. Not long after that, Jarod fell asleep just like that, but I couldn’t… I felt oh so miserable all of a sudden… I saw that gruesome image of that human I shot earlier this night… And it kept on haunting me… At some point, I got Nicole’s picture again and started talking to her while I almost choked down in tears…



Blain: … I… I killed someone today Nicole… It’s… It’s something I haven’t done in years… *sighs* And… I… I-I don’t know what to do… It’s… *sighs* Do-Does it make me a bad person…? I… I don’t know… I-… You would’ve know wh-what to do… I wish you were here… I… I wish you told me what to do… But… No matter how hard I try, I can’t hear you’re voice… I… I can’t see you… I… *sighs* I-I wish you were here… You would’ve known…

Then I couldn’t hold myself any longer as tears flowed down…



Blain: You would’ve known…

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kittyshootingstar on June 9, 2008, 1:26:48 PM

kittyshootingstar on
kittyshootingstarWoah. This story is powerful. I haven't cried reading a story like this in a long time, and now I about shorted out my keyboard with all of the water!

Thanks for putting Kitty in there.