Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - Caldish, Caldish...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 12 - Caldish, Caldish...

Chapter 12 - Caldish, Caldish...
For hours we’ve been trying to set up communication devices. We’ve made patrols in the forests near the base to look for survivors. No one. No one was left alive. No one responded to our radio calls. Every MNAF division we know did not respond to our calls. Then there was an unexpected radio message that kept on looping at a certain emergency broadcast frequency. It was a guy, telling that 6 nuclear warheads impacted on different coastlines, wiping out most of the MNAF troops. It’s over. We lost… And at some point, we gave up. Regan and I sat around a table to discuss what the plan was next, but to no avail. We didn’t know what was next. We didn’t know what to do anymore… Regan and I went outside to the others, who didn’t say anything to each other. It was all quiet as we got out… As soon as they saw us, they gathered around…



Regan: It’s eh… It’s been a long journey. We lost a lot of good guys on the way and it’s been tough… Yet you guys managed to fight on… But… We lost the war… It’s all over… It’s time to stop fighting for what we believe in… Now it’s time to fight for our survival…

Blain: So sergeant Regan and I decided that… If you wanna go, you’re free to go… You’re no longer bound to the MNAF army and leaving it is not considered to be deserting… Find you’re loved ones, and spend as much time as you can with them… I wish you all the best… I hope this situation is solved soon, so that you can grow old in peace… You guys deserved it more then anyone else… It’s been an honour serving with you guys… Good luck…

Regan: Dismissed…

Some of the guys were baffled. Others walked off in different directions… Regan and I went inside a building again and sat on a chair. I leaned over with my face in the palm of my hands… Then there was a knock… As I looked up, I noticed Rico, Shifty, Tavish, Jarod and Scyth standing in the doorway…



Tavish: Sarge…?
Blain: Yeah?
Tavish: What are we gonna do now…? And what about the civilians…?
Blain: *sighs* I have no idea Tavish… I wish I knew…
Shifty: So what are you going to do…?
Blain: I got nothing… My home, my friends, gone. All gone... The only thing that I can do is to take lives as much as I can. I wanna oppose against the humans… The war might be lost, but that doesn’t mean I give up… I will continue my campaign against the humans… I want retribution and I’m willing to die to accomplish it…

Scyth: … Then you’re not alone… I’m with you.
Regan: *nods*
Shifty: Hell, we got this far already. Let’s die with dignity.
Tavish: … Yeah… Count me in…
Rico: Same here…
Jarod: Hoo-ah…?
All: Hoo-ah…

Scyth: There’s a… A nuclear underground shelter in Azerbaijan… The place is so big, it easily fits a lot of troops and supplies… The surface of the base is around one thousand square metres with lots of halls. Private quarters with beds, bathrooms and all that. Heavily fortified from the outside… It’s not a 5-star hotel, but it’s a whole lot better then staying here…

Blain: … How far is it?
Regan: Not that far. Seventy miles north east of here.
Scyth: The base will be most likely populated. But it shouldn’t be a problem to reach it.

Jarod: I’ve seen a 4x4 outside.
Scyth: Wouldn’t that attract attention?
Jarod: Maybe, but it sure is a hell of a lot better then walking. Besides, it has a fifty cal mounted on the roof. Should fit.

Blain: Worth the shot…
Tavish: Alright… Let’s go then…

So we went outside. Like Jarod said, there was a 4x4 outside near the compound. Jarod inspected the vehicle. Well, truth be told, I don’t know shoot about things like this. Jarod checked the tires, oil, fuel and all that and half an hour later, we were good to go…



No one talked during the long ride. Jarod drove not that fast and all those little bumps and humps on the terrain and roads were rather relaxing. Shifty was on the fifty calibre encase we came across enemy activities. But the others… Everyone was so tired of the events that happened over the weeks. I placed one foot on the dashboard and leaned my head on my hand, and supported my arm against the door. Regan, Scyth and Tavish fell asleep in the back. And behind them, the lioness and that female hedgehog fell asleep as well. They never said anything to us for some reason, and I guess they just didn’t want to meddle. I can understand. In times like these, you wish someone knows the exact right answers and take the best decisions for you. You trust your life in the hands of others as they make the decisions for you. But the question remains… Would it be the right decision in the end…?



I just looked outside the window and saw the sun coming up. It sheds its light on the open grass plains we were driving on. As I stared at the scenario and the forests in the distance, my mind wandered off. I was still thinking about everyone else and if they ever made it… But I thought of Nicole the most… Memories of her went by so fast, and every once in a while I had a little smile on my face. Every now and then, I felt my eyelids getting heavy. I closed them for a short moment every time and opened them, but it didn’t take long before they went down again… At some point, I gave in and closed my eyes… I thought about Nicole a lot and felt how I drifted away…



I woke up all of a sudden by machine gun fire. I was so startled by that, I looked around and found out that Shifty was firing the fifty calibre machine gun… And of course, the others woke up as well from the sudden chaos…



Shifty: Go!! Go!! Go!! Floor it!!
Jarod: Get you’re @$$ down from the turret Shifty!!
Shifty: Just keep you’re eyes on the damn road, will ya?!!
Blain: What the hell is going on?!!
Jarod: We got two enemy vehicles on our tail!! Shifty!!! Get you’re skinny @$$ down the turret!!

Shifty: Come on and get some!! Bring it!!
Jarod: Don’t be a frackin’ hero here dude!!
Blain: Left!! Left!!!
Jarod: Yeah I see it sarge!! I’m not a complete fracktard!!
Tavish: Ha!! Got a bit of a low self-esteem Jarod?!!
Jarod: Hey frack you, Tavish!! You wanna make sarcastic comments?!! You’re free to be sarcastic when we’re safe!!

Shifty: Got it!!
Tavish: What?!!
Shifty: First car flipped his wheels!! Ha!! How’s that for a wipeout!!
Jarod: Good!! Now take out the other one you fracking shootbag!!
Shifty: Whoooooooooo!! One just fell down and got hit by his own car!! Ha!!

We heard a few ricochets off the vehicles hull. I noticed some holes in the roof, but no one got hit. That was just real lucky… All I could do was to hold on to something as Jarod was speeding through the landscape with high speed and Shifty kept on firing the machinegun…



Shifty: Ha!! Missed me, you stupid frack!!
Jarod: Hold on!!

We got over a hill with high speed and flew through the air. We landed hard as the vehicle started to sway. Jarod managed to correct it but I was scared shootless for a moment…



Shifty: Whoohoohoohoo!! Yeah!!! Encore you frackin’ shootbag!! Encore!!
Jarod: Shifty, I fracking swear on my mothers grave, if you don’t get you’re @$$ out of that turret, I’m gonna shove the fifty cal up you’re fracking @$$!!

Shifty: Will do, sweetie!! Haha!!

Tavish: Shoving things up his @$$ isn’t new for Shifty!! It won’t work Jarod!!

Shifty: Hey frack you Tavish!! The only reason why you became a corporal is because you went under a desk a lot!! Hell, even bend over if commanded!!

Tavish: Ha!! It worked didn’t it?!!
Shifty: fracking furfag!! *laughs*

Then all of a sudden, a loud explosion was heard… As I stuck my head outside the window, I noticed the vehicle that was following us got blown up…



Jarod: Whoo!! Way to go Shifty!!
Shifty: … Eh… I don’t think it was me…
Jarod: What?!! I can’t hear you!!
Shifty: I don’t think it was me!!
Blain: Then where did it come from?!!
Jarod: Does it matter?!!
Shifty: frack yeah, it matters!! Incoming!!!
Jarod: What?!!
Shifty: Gunship on our tail!! Floor it!!
Scyth: Those frackers blew up their own guys?!!
Tavish: That’s what you get if you can’t aim, huh Shifty?!!
Shifty: WHOA!!!
Blain: What?!! What?!!!
Shifty: Almost got my head blown off sarge, so yeah, my panties are in a bunch!!
Jarod: Will you get the frack down from there?!!
Shifty: Incoming!!!

The loud noise the engine of the gunship produced was ear deafening as it flies just above us. I could feel the heat of the exhausts of the gunship. It flew in front of us way faster then we drove, and a few hundred metres ahead of us, it made a one eighty turn. Almost immediately, it fired his board side cannons straight at us. Jarod reacted instantly by turning the wheel to the left, but we hit another slope, making us airborne and made a huge jump. As soon as we landed, we heard a loud “bang” and the vehicle moved to the right… Because of the high speed, the car flipped over a couple of times… It happened so fast I could hardly grab anything… Then it just turned black…



For some reason, I ended up in the backseat when I opened my eyes. I was disoriented by the crash and took me a while to realize where I was. My head hurt a lot and I noticed that everyone was passed out and had a lot of cuts and bruises… I felt like shoot… My whole body seemed to be numb as I tried to look around. It was all blurry… But a few minutes later, I noticed the vehicle was on his right side. As I slowly regained consciousness, the feeling in my body came back… Then I felt that my left leg was hurting a lot… As I looked down, I noticed it was dislocated. Really nasty to see. Especially if it’s your own leg. I tried to look away from my leg, but it wasn’t that easy. For some reason, I had to stare at it, as if it was healing itself. It couldn’t be much of a shoottier time. Not with the gunship on our tail… But I didn’t hear it… Could it…? In the distance, I saw the gunship wreck, going up in flames. I was so baffled by that… How the hell did that happen…? No matter how hard I tried to listen and look around of how it happened, I didn’t hear and see anything… At first, I thought that I turned deaf for one reason or another, but I realized I wasn’t deaf after I heard the radio…



Radio: *static noise* Caldish, caldish, this is Alex-Five zero niner, do you copy? *static noise*

Radio: Caldish, caldish, this is Alex-Five zero niner, do you copy?? *static noise*

Caldish… I’ve heard that term before… Except I can’t remember it… The harder I try to remember it, the blanker my thoughts became. After a moment, I realized what “Caldish” meant. Caldish is a term, used to identify unknown friendlies. For example, you see a friendly vehicle, but can not determine if the driver and the gunners are friendly or hostile. In order to communicate, they use the codeword “Caldish”… If they not respond with the reply “Omaha Juno” the vehicle is considered to be hostile… That term is only known with the MNAF, so whoever was calling out to us, it’s MNAF…



I grabbed the radio as quickly as I could, which was very slow in my present state…



Blain: Caldish, caldish… A-Alex-F-five zero niner… Omaha J-Juno… Repeat, O-Omaha Juno…

Radio: *static noise* Good afternoon Omaha Juno. Alex-Five zero niner at you’re service. What can I do for you guys?

Blain: Reqe-Requesting immediate med evac. D-Do you have a visual on the crash site?

Radio: That’s a 10-4, Omaha Juno. Notifying EMT’s. ETA 10 minutes. Hang in there; we’ll get you out.

Blain: T-thanks Alex-Five zero niner… O-Omaha Juno out…

Then it felt like I was drained… Like every move required a lot of strength and every move I made wore me out… Then I just dropped the radio… It fell on Tavish’ head, and I’m sure that’ll leave a mark, but I’ll apologize to him after I regained conscious… Then all of a sudden, it was lights out… I passed out again…



Maybe it was… I don’t know, 15? Maybe 20 minutes? I woke up from stomping sounds. I opened my eyes and noticed I was lying outside, away from the wreck… As I looked around, I saw an APC there with the MNAF logo on it and a few guys walking busy with all sorts of stuff… And my leg didn’t hurt anymore… As I looked down, I saw it was popped back in its socket…



???: They took care of it when you passed out. It’s a lot more painful when you’re awake…

As I looked up, I saw a leopard kneeling next to me… He had the same uniform as me, except he got the logo of the battlewalker regiment on his sleeves and chest.



Blain: Thanks…
???: Don’t mention it. Corporal Vijay, 601st battlewalker regiment.
Blain: Sergeant Blain, 506th
Vijay: 506th…?
Blain: *nods*
Vijay: How the hell did you managed to survive the titan crash, sir? I heard it was a massacre.

Blain: It was… The only reason why we survived is because we were at the back…
Rico: Good to see you’re still in one piece sir…
Blain: Good to see you too… Where are the others…?
Rico: Tavish… He’s sitting in the APC treated for a few cuts he has… Jarod and Scyth went to look for Shifty…

Blain: Shifty…?
Rico: … Shifty was still outside in the turret when we crashed… He must have been thrown out of it…

Blain: Oh shoot…
Tavish: … I don’t know if he made it…

Then not long after that, a few guys ran through, carrying a stretcher with the battered body of Shifty… As they were running by, I saw Shifty was bleeding a lot… Jarod ran towards them…



Jarod: Desoto!! How’s he doing?!! Desoto!!!
Desoto: Will you get the hell out of here?!!
Jarod: Don’t touch me, Genaro!! Don’t fracking touch me!!
Genaro: Hey cool it!! Get yourself checked out in the APC, you look like shoot.
Jarod: frack you…
Desoto: Alright, load this one up in the APC!!
Jarod: Shifty!! Shifty, look at me!! Hang in there, you fracking shootbag!! Don’t you fracking die!!

The stretcher with Shifty’s body got loaded up in the APC, and we were told to get in as well. And then we drove off… We were going to Azerbaijan, which was only a few miles away… We almost made it… But if these guys weren’t there, we wouldn’t have made it at all. Looking through the small porthole of the APC were two massive legs visible, as I heard the stomping of the battlewalkers… Two in total… I still didn’t know who Alex-Five zero niner was, but I reckon it’s either Vijay or that other guy. We were really lucky… Maybe someone was protecting us from above… Watching us, like a shadow…



As I was sitting in the APC, I noticed my leg was painful again. The deep wound I had in my leg was the same as the dislocated one. The wound never really healed, but it was open again, and bleeding…



Then we reached Azerbaijan… Like with many cities, it got shot to pieces… But we didn’t drove through the city… I saw a glimpse of it. As we were passing by the city, I saw the landscape… Devastated… I saw a group of humans being executed to the side of the road. They were shot in the head, just like that. And for some reason, I had a grin on my face as I was witnessing that



You didn’t see anything. The base was underground. The only thing you could see, were two massive gates, and we drove through. Once we got through, large hydraulic doors opened up from the ground, so you could see a massive downhill slope. The convoy followed that path, and as I looked through the rear porthole, the gates and the doors closed. We were driving through a massive tunnel with every once in a while a light. At some point, we got into this gigantic underground basement, where… Only a tank and another APC were parked…



Then we got out. Rico, Jarod, Tavish, Regan, Scyth and me followed the medics. It wasn’t easy to keep up. These guys ran to the sick bay to take care of Shifty… Poor Jarod… Everyone knew Jarod and Shifty were close buddies ever since first grade. Good friends, supporting each other trough thick and thin. Like pepper and saltMust have been hard for Jarod to see Shifty like this… So we left the room so that Jarod could have a minute with him…



Jarod: What the hell are you doing to me, Shifty… *sighs* I told you to get out of the turret, you fracking shootbag… What the hell am I gonna do without you, dude…? I… *sighs*

Shifty: … F-fracking hell, don’t you ever shut up…
Jarod: S-Shifty?!!
Shifty: You’re so full of shoot, you know that…?
Jarod: C’mere dude!!
Shifty: Ow!! frackin’ hell!! Easy on me!!
Jarod: Dude!!
Shifty: That’s the last time you’ll drive Jarod… Next time, I will...
Jarod: You?!! You can’t even see the difference between the clutch and the horn.

Shifty: Hehehe…





Tavish: Here, have a coffee. Those nice blokes offered us a coffee.
Rico: You know the sarge doesn’t drink coffee…
Tavish: Hell, I’m not dieing before I see the sarge drinking a cup.
Blain: Hehehe… You guys alright?
Tavish/Rico: Yes sir…
Regan: … So, we made it to Azerbaijan… Now what…?
Scyth: Only time will tell… You’ll see…

For the rest of the day, we had medical treatment. My leg was patched up, and walking still hurt a lot, but I’ll manage. We’re safe for now…























Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment