Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 20 - Turn the tide

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 20 - Turn the tide

Chapter 20 - Turn the tide
Once we saw the tanks rolling in, the gunships scattered around. We flew in low while we bombarded them. I guess the humans were on their way to the city when we caught them by surprise. Maybe they were going to investigate the wrecks of the gunships and take prisoners or even kill them. The tanks were blown to smithereens as Vilani did her best not to be gunned down. And well, the co-pilot kept track of what was happening as he tried to blow up as many as possible while the other gunships did the same. The infantry down below however, dropped back in the city. Once the area was clear, we headed towards the city…

Vilani: All call-signs, this is Outlaw Two-Five-niner, enemy infantry are making a run for it! We are clear to land, out!

Radio: Roger that, Outlaw 2-5-niner, we're going in. Lock and load. *kssht*

Vilani: Moment of truth guys! I’m patching the mission briefing through!

Then not long after that, all sorts of data were seen in my HUD. It was a search and extraction mission, mostly survivors of the crashes, but there was one VIP that needed to be kept alive at all costs. As I cycled through the data, I noticed this VIP was a human, going by the name of “Nigel Jones”… There was a picture of him to identify, but more information on him was classified…

Blain: Lieutenant?!
Vilani: Yes sir?!
Blain: Can you tell us why this human needs extraction?!
Vilani: I’m sorry, sergeant, I can’t tell anything until further notice!!
Blain: ... Right...


Not long after that, we landed on the outskirts of the city, where enemy soldiers were roaming and looking for the wrecks. The doors opened up…

Vilani: You are no longer my responsibility, guys!! I’ll leave you in the care of the sergeant!
Blain: Go!! Go!! Down the ramp!! Time to move!!
Vilani: The gunships have to retreat now, sergeant! I wish you the best of luck!
Blain: Thank you lieutenant! Be careful on the way back!
Vilani: Will do sergeant! Good luck!!

At that point, the last guy got out of the gunship. After he got out and ran away towards a building where the others were waiting for me, I got out as well. Vilani looked at me and had a little smile on her face. All I did was looking at her, not realizing I had a smile on my face as well…

The moment I got out of the gunship and touched the ground, the doors of the gunship closed. Then it took off… The sounds of the gunship faded away slowly as I could see in the distance more gunships taking off… And then it was total silence… I walked towards the others as I cycled through my data of the HUD…


Blain: Nigel Jones...
Jarod: Who...?
Blain: He's the VIP we need to extract... I don't know the exact location while this place is crawling with enemy soldiers... Something tells me that he is wanted by both fractions...

Tavish: Why...?
Blain: *sighs* I don't know. We're gonna find out soon enough if he isn't dead already...

Then I noticed the others were looking at us… I didn't know these guys…

Blain: ... Who the hell are these guys again...?
Jarod: ... F.N.G's sir...

Ah yeah… F.N.G's… “fracking New Guys”… Then I got the signal of Bravo-3, aka Regan's squad, that they found the first crash site. After that, we headed out…

The HUD guided us to the first crash site. Somewhere in the distance, we could hear gunfire every now and then, and some of the guys were scared. At some point, we reached a town's square but took cover in an ally. I held up my fist as soon as I heard talking… I peeked around the corner… And I noticed a few humans standing near the wreck and one was down on his knees with his hands on his head… At that point, my radio went static…


???: Is this a secured frequency...?

I recognized that voice… It was Scyth… I looked at the others and isolated my frequency…

Blain: It is now, go ahead, Scyth…
Scyth: I can see you on the towns square, near the wreck. Can you see me?
Blain: No...
Scyth: Look up to south-west building.

So I looked behind me. I noticed a flashing laser sight going on and off…

Scyth: Yeah that's me. Do you have a good visual on the towns square...?
Blain: Yes...
Scyth: Ok good... Uh... You see the guy with the very short spiky hair...?
Blain: Yeah... I see him...
Scyth: That's Zakhaev...
Blain: That's Zakhaev...?
Scyth: Yeah. He's a very dangerous guy, so don't mess around with him... We need to get him alive...

Blain: Why...?
Scyth: He has contacts that can be useful to us... Once we have a name, all we have to do is to track them down... Or the “Track 'em and whack 'em” method as I like to call it... And that's it...

Blain: Yeah...
Scyth: The guy on his knees is the VIP... You gotta get the VIP out of there before he gets carried away or is being executed on the spot... Make sure Zakhaev doesn't escape... I'll cover you from the rooftops...

Blain: Got it...
Scyth: Take a deep breathe, Blain... I got my aim... Go when ready...
Blain: Copy...
Jarod: What's up sarge...?
Blain: Hold up right here, stay in cover...

I took a peek around the corner again, and noticed that Zakhaev held a gun towards the head of the VIP… At that point, I heard an ear deafening sound of a sniper rifle and I noticed Zakhaev falling down…

Then we ran onto the towns square, taking cover behind walls and buildings. We took out the few humans that were standing near Zakhaev… It all happened in a blink of an eye…


Blain: Clear down!!
Scyth: Copy, on my way.

I took a good look at Zakhaev and the human who was on his knees… The human on his knees had a deep cut on his face... Zakhaev was looking pissed at us but didn't say anything as I kicked his weapon out of his hands and got all of his other weapons such as a knife and a pistol… He was hit in the leg, and you can tell he had a lot of pain… Not long after that, Scyth arrived… Zakhaev was really shocked to see him, so the stories Scyth told about him and Zakhaev were true… In the mean time, we looked if anyone survived the crash... None... They were all dead except for that human...


Blain: Nigel Jones?!

Well the human on his knees was scared shootless… Of course he was, especially how he saw his own kind being shot to pieces. He looked at me while he was scared but didn't say anything. Then I raided his pockets and looked for ID while the others kept a close eye on the surroundings as Scyth was keeping an eye on Zakhaev…


Blain: Right... You're coming with us. All call-signs, this Bravo-six, VIP secured and waiting for extraction, over.

Radio: Copy that, Bravo-Six, Outlaw 2-3-niner inbound, over.

Then not long after that, a gunship came along. Two guys got in the gunship along with the VIP. But as soon as I wanted Zakhaev on board…

Scyth: No, not yet... Zakhaev and I need to catch up for old time’s sake...

Scyth grinned at Zakhaev as he looked scared shootless… I gestured to the pilot that he could take off… So it took off…

Radio: Bravo Six, this is Bravo-three! We're taking heavy fire on our position north of the overpass! Where the hell are you?!

Scyth: Back those guys up!! I'll keep an eye on Zakhaev and meet up with you later!!

So we ran off…


Meanwhile…

Scyth noticed Zakhaev’s expression. He walked around Zakhaev in circles…

Scyth: Good evening, Zakhaev…
Zakhaev: You…
Scyth: Yes… Me… Me, me, me…
Zakhaev: For decades I’ve been looking for you, you know…?
Scyth: Yes, and now I found you… Isn’t that ironic…?
Zakhaev: Depends how you look at things…
Scyth: You mind…? *grabs pack of cigarettes from his pocket*

Zakhaev: You’re wasting your time… I won’t say anything…
Scyth: I’m not expecting you to say anything. The only thing I ever wanted…

Scyth grabbed his pistol and pressed it firmly against Zakhaev’s head…


Scyth: Is for you to die…
Zakhaev: … Go ahead… End it...
Scyth: I’m afraid I can’t do that. Because you see, I have a little problem, and the only way to solve it is with you’re help. *lights up cigarette*

Zakhaev: *laughs* Ha!! Me?! Helping you?!
Scyth: … Yes…
Zakhaev: ... Why…?
Scyth: If I recall… You’re in direct contact with G.U.N and Miller… Correct…? *takes puff*

Zakhaev: …
Scyth: Hmm… Miller admits you’re a failure… Couldn’t even catch a simple furrie… I know you want Miller dead as well… *blows smoke in Zakhaev’s face*

Zakhaev: … Hm…
Scyth: Then think about it…
Zakhaev: …
Scyth: Who’s going to replace Miller after he is out of the way…? Hmm…? People look up to you… You got lots of combat experience, reputation; you know what its like, don’t you…? Miller doesn’t have shoot… People don’t trust him any more…

Zakhaev: … I’m listening…

Scyth: Good… So what I’m asking is… Deliver Miller alive to us… You walk away… We kill Miller… We pretend like nothing ever happened… That Miller just vanished, into thin air… And you’d be the commander of the G.U.N legions… And after our little truce is over, we can try to blow each others brains out again…

Zakhaev: … Why should I trust you…?
Scyth: … Because that’ll be the only way to stop me…
Zakhaev: …
Scyth: … What’s it gonna be, pretty boy…?

Zakhaev: You have a contract to take Miller out, don't you...? Someone sent you...

Scyth: I took the job for sentimental reasons... And it's because I'm sick and tired of Miller sending you're @$$ to get rid of me... And besides, I need you to accomplish it...

Zakhaev: … I want sixty percent of you’re hit fee…
Scyth: You’re negotiating with me...?
Zakhaev: *nods*
Scyth: … I didn’t know if you realized it, but you’re not in a position to negotiate with me…

Zakhaev: Sixty… Or I’m not doing it…
Scyth: Then I guess there’s not much use in letting you live then… *presses gun against Zakhaev’s head*

Zakhaev: … Then I guess Miller isn’t giving up on you…
Scyth: …
Zakhaev: …
Scyth: *removes gun from Zakhaev’s head* Thirty percent…
Zakhaev: Fifty…
Scyth: … Forty…
Zakhaev: Forty five…
Scyth: … Deal…
Zakhaev: … How do I contact you…?
Scyth: Take this radio… It’s a secured frequency… Let me know when you’re ready…
Zakhaev: … Deal.
Scyth: No, no, no. You THINK we have a deal… If you frack me, I’ll hire someone to settle the score with you… But I know you won’t double cross me, because I know you’re not stupid, Zakhaev…

Zakhaev: You're pretty persuasive for a furrie, you know that...?
Scyth: Don't get too excited Zakhaev... It might be you're demise one day... But for now, we’re cool… Right…?

Zakhaev: Yeah… We’re cool... For now…

Scyth passed his cigarette over to Zakhaev. Zakhaev looked at him and gave a weak smile. As soon as he wanted to grab the cigarette, Scyth dropped it and grinned at Zakhaev... Then he slowly put out the cigarette with his boot and walked away...

Radio: The 607th tank division is backing us up near the overpass!
Blain: How many of them?!
Radio: Two units in total sir! One of them is stuck in the river bog!
Blain: What’s the call-sign of the tank?!
Radio: Call-sign is “War pig” sir!
Blain: Copy, Bravo-six is inbound! Tell "War Pig" to standby. We're almost there! Out!

Jarod: “War pig”?! Their not really creative when it comes to naming things, sir!
Blain: Shut the hell up and keep on running!

Then we heard a shot… And one of the guys was killed…

Jarod: Ambush!!
Tavish: Contact right!! Head’s up!!
Blain: Get some suppressive fire on that building!! We have to move forward!! Keep moving forward!!

At some point, we noticed one of the windows opened up and there was a human up there, firing a machinegun. We went in the same building and I saw in my HUD that some of our guys were pinned down in the building across. The human wasn’t firing at us, but at the building across the street. All of a sudden, I realized how lucky we were because if he spotted us, we’d all be dead by now… We had to take out that machinegun in the window…

Jarod: Watch your fire!! Friendlies on the second floor!!
Radio: Roger that! Shifting fire!

There were a few enemy soldiers in the building and we smoked them… Either by a grenade, or a bullet, it didn’t really matter… Fact is though, that they were rather incomplete and that the room got blown to bits and pieces… Once it was safe, we radioed to the other side that it was safe to move and once we got out, they got out and we moved on.


Radio: Be advised, more enemy troops are converging on the tank. Get there ASAP!

Blain: Roger that!! We're working on it, out!!

At some point, we arrived and saw the tank in the distance with a few guys. We blast our way through until we got close enough to the tank…

Blain: Bravo-three! This is Bravo-six, what's your status?! Over!
Radio: We're still surrounded!! There's just the four of us left! But the tank's still ok! Over!

Blain: Contact to the east and more flanking to the south!! Hold the perimeter!!

Radio: Bravo Six, this is War Pig! The main gun's offline but we still have our machinegun!!

Blain: Do everything you can to take these bastards out!! Don't let them get to the tank!!

Radio: Copy that Bravo-Six!

Not long after that, the humans stopped coming in from the front. As soon as we thought it was safe, we heard a loud explosion, and the other tank was blown up… It came from the south as humans placed stationary machineguns in the windows of the building and fired at us. We immediately took cover but it was too late for some of us…

Blain: Deadly 2-3-niner, this is Bravo Six! Requesting air support for fire mission, over!

Radio: Uh, negative, Bravo Six. UAV data shows that there's an enemy anti-aircraft vehicle to the south of your position. Until you take it out, we can not risk sending in any gunships, over.

Blain: Tavish!! Jarod!! Find that AA-vehicle and take it out so we can get some air support!!

Tavish: On it!!
Blain: All right, let's cover these guys!

“War pig” turned its turret to the south and fired upon humans while we sought cover behind the tank as we covered Tavish and Jarod. I know it was dead serious, but the way Tavish and Jarod were running… Hehehehe… It looked more like dancing as far as you can call it that… They got close enough and took cover behind a wall as Tavish threw an EMP grenade at it, and it shuts down completely. One of the guys that were with us got up and fired an anti-tank missile at the AA-vehicle and well, it got blown up… But that didn’t mean the machineguns stopped firing in the windows. Jarod got out a laser and marked the building with it…

Blain: Deadly 2-3-niner, this is Bravo-six!! We got rid of the AA!! Put on a show for us!
Radio: OK, positive ID on your sparkle! We're coming in hot from the north-east! Standby!

Then not long after that, two gunships appeared and blew the frack out of that building… They kept hovering in front of it…

Radio: Uh, Two, do you see anyone left down there?
Radio: Negative. In other words, their in a better place now. A moment of silence for those humans.

Radio: Alright, we’re outta here. Good luck boys, The Outlaws should return shortly to you to pick you up. Deadly 2-3-niner out.

Blain: Copy that Deadly 2-3-niner… Thanks for the assist… Bravo-six out… COMScann, the LZ is secure, bring in the engineers and let's get this tank moving…

Radio: Roger that. UAV data shows out remaining enemy infantry are on the run. Good job guys, all of you.

Everyone gathered around at the tank and could finally relax… Although the atmosphere was still tense, I was so tired all of a sudden and sat down somewhere alone. I was looking at the scenery and there were a lot of dead bodies… Although it was a huge victory for us by capturing Zakhaev and secured the VIP guy, I couldn’t help but to feel sad as I was staring at the night sky. I got out my picture of Nicole and stared at it as I was talking to her in my mind… Then all of a sudden, I felt a hand on my shoulder… I turned my head and noticed it was Scyth… But he was alone…

Scyth: Can she hear you…?
Blain: Hopefully…
Scyth: What did you say to her…?
Blain: None of you’re damn business…
Scyth: Hehehehehe…
Blain: Where’s Zakhaev…?
Scyth: I let him go…
Blain: … What…?
Scyth: Yeah.
Blain: Why…? I thought you said you wanted him dead…?

Scyth: Yeah… But he’ll lead us to Miller… And once Miller is out of the way, we can take out Zakhaev… And we’ll be safe and be able to end the war… And continue with our lives…

Blain: How would you know that Zakhaev is keeping his word…?

Scyth: Because he wants Miller dead as well so I made a deal with him… He’ll deliver us Miller in exchange for my hit fee… Zakhaev is dead except he doesn’t realize it yet… Making a deal with me was the biggest mistake he ever made… He just signed his own death warrant…

Blain: … *nods*

Scyth: Come on, let’s get back to the others…

So we went back to the tank… But then I noticed Jarod carrying Tavish who was yelling his lungs out. I noticed his right sleeve was cut and that he was bleeding… Jarod placed him down carefully as a medic took over...

Tavish: Aaah!! fracking hell, it hurts man!!
Medic: Stay still!!
Tavish: Aww frack!! I’m gonna die man!! It hit an artery!! I can feel it!! OW!!! frack!!
Jarod: Hold still Tavish!!
Medic: Grab his arm!!
Tavish: OOOOW!!!!
Medic: Hold him still!!
Tavish: I’ve never been shot in my entire life, man!! And now I’m gonna die!!
Jarod: You’re not gonna die, Tavish!! Just keep still!!

Then the medic cut open his sleeve… And we all saw a very little scratch…

Jarod: Holy shoot Tavish!! It needs a tourniquet!!
Tavish: Oh shoot!! Oh shoot!! Don’t let me die!!
Jarod: Don’t look Tavish!!
Tavish: I need to look!!
Jarod: Don’t do it!!

Then he looked to his arm and noticed the little scratch… Everyone who saw him burst out laughing, including me and Scyth… The medic wasn’t really amused though… He got out a plaster with some cartoon character on it and placed it on the little scratch… Then he was amused and burst out laughing, shortly followed by everyone else…

Not long after that, the Outlaw gunships arrived. The tank got secured by a gunship so that it would be airlifted to Azerbaijan. They hovered just above the ground and we got in quickly. As I entered, I noticed Vilani. Scyth, Jarod and Tavish got in as well… I noticed Vilani looked at me again and she smiled again…


Vilani: *kssht* Hey! Welcome back, sergeant! You did one hell of a job out there! *kssht*
Jarod: *ahem*
Vilani: *kssht* Hell, everyone did a great job out there. We just got word the VIP is back in Azerbaijan. Good job guys. We’ll try to make this ride as smooth as possible. *kssht*

Keaton: *kssht* How about a little mood music boys? *kssht*

Then he put up some… Awful music… I didn’t like it at all…

Vilani: I thought I told to throw that disk out of the window!
Keaton: Yes ma’am, I’ll do it when we get back in Azerbaijan, over.
Vilani: *sighs*
Tavish: Yeah! She’s right! How the hell can you listen to that kind of music?!

Jarod: Tavish! Calm down! You don’t want to upset you’re wound! *laughs*
Scyth: Hehehehehe…
Tavish: Hey, I told you, it fracking hurts, alright?!
Jarod: Yeah! We’ll get you to surgery once we’re in Azerbaijan! It’s an emergency!! Whaaaaaaaaaa!!

Just gotta love these guys… Not long after that, we all took off… The doors were still wide open but it’s actually really nice to fly with the doors wide open. You feel the wind at 340 kilometres an hour as we were flying above the large river. I could see in the distance that the night sky slowly made way for daylight as the stars slowly stopped shining… The way the light reflected from the water down below made it look as if thousands of stars were in the water while clouds slowly turned dark orange… It was a very beautiful sight to see and I thought about Nicole… I wish was here to see this… Hopefully, one day, she will… Maybe she was seeing it right now…

Seeing what we have accomplished today made me think that the war would be over in a few months… Maybe it’s over in just a few weeks… I know we still have a long way to go, but I felt that it was possible for us to win this war, and break down the pillars that support the human regime. I stared outside once again and felt how my eyelids were getting heavier… And then I fell asleep with a smile on my face…

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment