Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 33 - Cherished memories

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 33 - Cherished memories

Chapter 33 - Cherished memories
Vilani: Sergeant…?
Blain: Oh, hey Vilani…
Vilani: You’ve been absent for the last couple of weeks… Is everything alright…?
Blain: *sighs*
Vilani: How’s Nicole doing…?
Blain: That’s the thing… I don’t know… She changed a lot… I barely even recognize her…
Vilani: Yeah… Well… You both went through a lot… I mean… She thought you died, you thought she died, and all of a sudden, you got reunited…

Blain: Yeah… She wants to stay with me, and she doesn’t want me to go outside anymore… But… I have to… I can’t just… Leave everybody like that, you know…?

Vilani: Hmm-mm…
Blain: And well… Nicole and I had fights about it… And at some point, she told me to leave…

Vilani: … Oh… Then what happened…?

Blain: When I got back, I noticed she had a gun in her mouth… For a second there, she was determined to pull the trigger… But… I prevented that… She told me of how ashamed she felt, and she kept crying throughout the night… And well… This morning, we talked a lot… Worked things out… She told what she’s been through… And eh… It’s a lot… I could see she had a really hard time with it, and it left a mark on her for good… *sighs*

Vilani: *nods*
Blain: But still… Seeing her with a gun in her mouth, trying to pull the trigger… Seriously, it scared the living shoot out of me…

Vilani: I can imagine… So… Where’s she now…?
Blain: Asleep…
Vilani: Good, good…
Blain: But still… I never thanked you for getting her out of the open… She told me it was you who found her… And she’s really grateful…

Vilani: Hehe…
Blain: And so am I… I owe you a lot… So… If there’s anything I can do for you, let me know…

Vilani: *smiles* I will…
Blain: Alright then…

I was planning to make my way back to Nicole, but when I got up and walked away, I felt Vilani grabbed my arm…

Vilani: Sergeant…?
Blain: Yeah?
Vilani: Actually… There is something you can do for me…
Blain: What’s up…?
Vilani: … Well… What was the last thing Regan said before he died…?
Blain: He eh… He asked me to keep an eye on you… And that he was really proud of you…
Vilani: *smiles weakly*
Blain: And that he loved you a lot…
Vilani: Heh… That does sound like him…
Blain: Sounds to me that you were really close together…
Vilani: Yeah… Regan and I went through a lot when we were kids… And he never stopped being overprotective, even after we got here…

Blain: Oh…?
Vilani: *nods*
Blain: … What happened, if you don’t mind me asking…?
Vilani: Well… Eh… I was 6 years old when a civil war broke out…
Blain: Where…?
Vilani: The continent of Ahthiambo all the way down south… And I came from an independent country called Sitembileq… It wasn’t a big country but… Living there was… Difficult… And I grew up in a small village…

Blain: Sitembileq is one of the poorest countries in the world…
Vilani: I know… People killed each other for something as simple as a bag of rice…
Blain: Yeah… Go on…
Vilani: It’s a complicated story… I didn’t understand what it was all about when I was little, and truth be told, I still don’t really know… A member of one tribe got killed and well, the rest followed… I saw how they cut off the limbs of people who weren’t part of their tribe with a machete… And… Butchered little kids and babies and… Old people… Sick people…

Blain: I saw it on the news…
Vilani: Seeing it on the news is different then when you actually witnessed it… Impaling people on wooden poles…? Cutting the breasts of women off…? Cut open the belly of a pregnant woman and cut out the fetus…? They didn’t show you that on the news did they…?

Blain: *shakes no*

Vilani: Yeah, thought so… They’re always like… “ Let’s help these poor people by doing something…” So they come and help whenever they see fit… And then they leave… But they are closing their eyes for the genocides… They’re closing their eyes for what is truly happening… They only see what they want to see… People see it on the news, but then the TV gets turned off and everyone forgets about it a few minutes later…

Blain: *nods* True... So…… How did you and Regan survived…?

Vilani: Regan and I were playing out in the field when we saw them coming… A hyena tribe…Armed with machetes, knifes, axes, assault rifles and… Pretty much everything that can kill someone… So… We hid between the crops and stayed as low as possible… And we heard everyone screaming and yelling and fighting… Gunfights… It just happened so fast… And then they just left…

Blain: Then what happened…?

Vilani: Eh… Regan and I went back once they left… They set a few houses on fire and… There was no one left alive… The whole village was littered with dead bodies… They maimed the women by cutting off their breasts and well… Pregnant felines got their fetuses cut out… I saw that they cut off the limbs of my mother and sister… My father was decapitated… And well, Regan’s parents… Same thing… *sighs*

Blain: It must have been hard…
Vilani: … Yes…
Blain: … Then what……?
Vilani: We stayed for days in the village…
Blain: …
Vilani: *sighs*
Blain: … Doing what…?

Vilani: Holding on to our dead loved ones… Talking to them… Waiting for them to wake up… Then a peace corps arrived a week later… A bit too late… And we saw furries we’ve never seen before… Hedgehogs, echidna’s, horses, armadillo’s, you name it… It was scary… In fact, I think they were scarier then the hyena tribe… They talked a language we didn’t understand... They tried and tried to get us to talk, but we didn’t say anything…

Blain: And that’s how you got here…?
Vilani: Yeah… Pretty much… We were taken care off in a foster family… Learned the language… Learning whole new things… Life got complicated ever since I got… And eh… Regan and I went to school… And we always got bullied… It’s because we were different and they knew we came out of Sitembileq… A poor country… If they were actually watching the news, they knew what we had been through… So Regan and I sticked close together and he always came up for me… This one time in high school, he bashed someone into a coma when he saw someone was hitting me… But that also made me stronger on the inside… I started fighting whenever someone was bullying me… So… Heh… And then after high school, Regan and I joined the army…

Blain: I see…
Vilani: Heh… It’s a strange thing actually…
Blain: What is…?
Vilani: When I was six, I saw people being butchered by machetes… And now, eighteen years later, I’m doing the same thing… Not with machetes and knifes, but with Praetorian CCR-MA34/1 Inferno missiles and an Ataelian S281 GAU-8/A Gatling gun… *sighs*

Blain: Yeah…
Vilani: Heh… *smiles weakly*
Blain: … How’d you managed to live with it for so many years…?
Vilani: *shrugs* It’s just the way things are, sergeant…
Blain: Yeah… It’s just the way things are, lieutenant…
Vilani: And now… Heh… I’m all alone now…
Blain: … You’re not alone… You got Jarod… And us… We’ll stick together as a family… You know that… And it’ll never change, no matter what…

Vilani: *weak smile*
Blain: *sighs*
Vilani: *wipes face*
Blain: You alright…?
Vilani: Y-Yeah, I-I’m fine… Heh… I just eh…
Blain: Hey, it’s ok…
Vilani: Heh… Sarge…?
Blain: Yeah?
Vilani: Don’t tell Jarod about this, ok……? I never told anyone about this and… I wanna tell him myself when the time is right…

Blain: I understand…
Vilani: Thank you……
Blain: *smiles*
Vilani: I eh… Whoa… L-Look at the time… I should b-be going… *smiles nervously*
Blain: You go then…
Vilani: Eh… Y-Yeah, heh…

She got up from her chair and walked away rather quickly. She wasn’t crying but I swear I could see her wiping a tear away when she got out…

I needed to check up on Nicole. She sleeps a lot nowadays but… I just needed to see how she was doing. Once I got back to my room, I noticed she wasn’t in bed… Instead, she sat at the table with a cup of coffee, while she seemed be carried away in thoughts…

Blain: … Nic…?
Nicole: …
Blain: Hey, Nic…?
Nicole: …
Blain: You alright?

As soon as I placed my hand on her shoulder, she shook up and looked startled at me…

Nicole: Oh! Hey! Eh… Hey…
Blain: What’s wrong…?
Nicole: So many things are wrong Blain… I just miss everyone… That’s all… I miss Cody the most…

Then I sat down on a chair and not long after that, she got on my lap, cuddling…

Blain: *sighs*
Nicole: It’s just so hard…
Blain: I know…

Nicole: Heh… When Cody and I were little, we got bored stiff on rainy days… So we took a mattress and slide down the stairs… I always made him sit in front, just encase we would hit something on the way down... Then I wasn’t the one who got hurt... And whenever he bumped his head against the closet, he was always mad at me, but continued to sit in front… Heh… We always had fights, but were solved like… Five minutes later… Then he wrote sory on a piece of paper with only one R, and held it in front of my nose until I wasn’t mad anymore… *smiles*

Blain: *smiles*
Nicole: Hehe… You remember that time when we busted him together with Eliza…? Near the lake…? A very long time ago…?

Blain: Hehehehe, yeah of course I do… We were making out not too far away…
Nicole: Yeah… She was like… The ugliest girl I’ve ever seen…
Blain: Haha! Yeah… And when they noticed us, Eliza jumped up and ran away except…
Nicole/Blain: She plunged in the lake! *laughs*
Nicole: Yeah! Oh man… Those faces were priceless…
Blain: Cody was pissed at us for weeks…
Nicole: *sighs* Good old days…
Blain: Yeah…
Nicole: Time went so fast, Blain… Look at us now…
Blain: We’re boring adults now…
Nicole: Speak for yourself… *smiles weakly*
Blain: I’m far from boring as you might recall… *smiles*

Nicole: … Oh yeah… Hehehe… The time we got lost in the forests… That was still your fault by the way…

Blain: No, it wasn’t…
Nicole: You said you know where we were going…
Blain: Except I didn’t KNOW where we were going…
Nicole: Which caused us to get lost…
Blain: Yeah… Well, still, we had fun…
Nicole: … A lot… *smiles*
Blain: Hmmm-mm… And then there was that waterfall…
Nicole: Yeah… I miss those days, Blain…
Blain: Me too… I wish I could just… Rewind time, you know…
Nicole: Then Kaelyn would have been still with us…
Blain: *sighs* Yeah… I can only imagine what she would look like today…
Nicole: *nods slowly*

It stayed silent for a very long time as Nicole scratched me behind my ear… I always loved that when she did that… And I was gently rubbing her belly…

Nicole: Blain…?
Blain: Yes…?
Nicole: Did you ever regret being with me……?
Blain: No… Not a single day… Why’d you ask…?
Nicole: I don’t know… It’s just that… I messed a lot of things up through out my life and… I was wondering if I ever messed up with you…

Blain: Of course not… *Kisses Nicole’s cheek*
Nicole: But… I did mess up with the guys who saved my life a couple of times…
Blain: … Who…?
Nicole: Mahabi, Axel and Lattei… And it’s true what Mahabi said… I’ve been ignoring them for so many weeks…

Blain: Yeah… Well… Things weren’t really that easy when we first met again… Things can be set right with proper communication… We need to talk to them if they mean a lot to you…

Nicole: You really think so…?
Blain: *nods*
Nicole: But how…?
Blain: I’ll go with you… I never thanked these guys…
Nicole: … Never did I…
Blain: Hehe… Come on, let’s go then…

Meanwhile, in the flightdeck hangar…

Vilani: … And eh… That’s basically it…
Jarod: … Whoa…
Vilani: So now you know what happened when I was young…
Jarod: I never expected that…
Vilani: Yeah… So… It meant a lot when you came for me when I crashed… It reminded me of the eh… “Damsel in distress” thing you see in fairytales… *smiles*

Jarod: *smiles and strokes his hand through her hair*
Vilani: *kisses Jarod*
Radio: *kssht* All call-signs, be advised, UAV shows out that disgustingly sweet activity is undertaken at the moment. Cease and desist, out. *kssht*

Jarod: … They mean us…
Vilani: … Maybe……
Jarod: Is there a way to turn your beacon off…?
Vilani: *smiles and turns off gunship’s beacon*
Jarod: Now… Where were we…?
Vilani: Hmm-mm… * kisses Jarod*
Jarod: I love you so much, Vilani…
Vilani: Aww… I love you too, babe…
Radio: *kssht* Stop the acting and get off this frequency! Or get a room you two! Whaha!! *kssht*

Radio: *kssht* Shifty, you fracking twat!! Get off the fracking radio!! *kssht*

Jarod: You forgot to turn down the radio…
Vilani: *turns radio off* There…
Jarod: Hehehe…
Vilani: *smiles nervously*
Jarod: *takes Vilani’s top off*
Vilani: Jarod, wait…
Jarod: Hm…?
Vilani: Eh… I don’t know how to say this but… T-This’ll be the first time for me…
Jarod: You serious…?
Vilani: *nods quickly* Yeah… And…
Jarod: Hey, it’s ok… If you wanna wait, then… We’ll wait… *pouts*
Vilani: …No……
Jarod: No, it’s ok if you wa- Wait, what?
Vilani: … I wanna go through with this, Jarod… I want you to be my first…
Jarod: … You’re really serious, aren’t you…?
Vilani: Yes… But… Will it… You know… hurt……?
Jarod: I won’t bite hard if that’s what you mean…
Vilani: Jarod, I’m serious……
Jarod: Don’t worry, babe… You’ll do great……
Vilani: I’m kinda nervous…
Jarod: Don’t be…
Vilani: *nods*
Radio: *kssht* LET’S GET READY TO PAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! *kssht*

Vilani/Jarod: Whoa!!!
Radio: *kssht* Whahahahaha!! *kssht*
Jarod: I thought you turned down the radio!
Vilani: I did! It's you're potable radio!
Jarod: Damn it… Let’s go somewhere else… Leave every radio in here...
Vilani: My room…?
Jarod: *nods* Sure…
Vilani: *smiles*
Jarod: I swear, I’m gonna kill Shifty…
Vilani: Let’s not ruin the moment here, ok…? *smiles*
Jarod: You’re right, you’re right…
Vilani: Let’s go……
Jarod: … He’s so dead…

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment