Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 37 - Sugar, we're going down...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 37 - Sugar, we're going down...

Chapter 37 - Sugar, we're going down...
I only slept for a few hours. For some reason, I just couldn’t sleep. I stared for hours at the ceiling above me, wondering about so many things. Whenever I looked at Nicole, it was painful to realize I wouldn’t be with her next year. For better or worse. And I could see she was exhausted by everything she’s ever been through. And so am I. I can’t go on anymore…

I got out of my stretcher and tried to make sure I didn’t wake Nicole up. I just needed to be alone so I walked through the compound to clear my mind. No one was still awake at this time of the hour, except for a few soldiers who I didn’t know. Some humans were walking by as well and I found a nice and quiet spot where I could sit down.

I often wondered if the things I did would ever be acknowledged. But that night, the thought had my special attention for some reason. Wondering if someone would ever commemorate me as a hero for ending the first war… If it wasn’t for the RRTS back then, we’d still be fighting the Imperial Droid Armies of Robotnik and the Red Faction. It also makes me wonder if anyone really knew Tyrone, Cyrus and Jasco… I still think of them every day… But with year that passes, there seems to be a memory missing… I can’t remember what Tyrone sounded like… I can’t remember Cyrus’s stupid sense of humor… I can’t remember Jasco’s friendship… Truth is… They died while fighting for their own and for everyone else’s freedom, but they never received a ribbon or a medal for their actions after they died… They just died and no one seems to remember them for what they did. Just another anonymous casualty forgotten as time passed by… Would that happen to me as well if I’m gone…? Would I be forgotten…? Will I even be buried with a little dignity…? I’m the only one left now who could tell the story of the RRTS and their actions to free the planet of the metal warmachines that once threatened the entire world… But what if there’s no one left to tell their stories…? Our story…? My story…? I don’t need a medal to remind me for what I did… I don’t need to be praised as a hero… It’s because I know what I did. All I want is someone to know what we did in the past… What I will do in the future… And the only way to do that is to tell our story… It’s something that should never be forgotten… Not just our story, but also the millions of other people like us… But I realized all to well that it’s like chasing wind… You never seem to get it, even though you know it’s there somewhere.

At some point, I heard footsteps through the hallway. I looked up and I saw this young little hedgehog girl walking while she was carrying a pink backpack with hearts on it and everything. She stops for a short moment to look for something, than her expression turned into a disappointed one. She turns around, and while she did, she noticed me…

Girl: Hi…
Blain: Hey…
Girl: You’re alone too…?
Blain: Sort of… Are you…?
Girl: *nods slowly*
Blain: … Where’s your mother…?
Girl: … I don’t know……
Blain: Than… Where’s your dad…?
Girl: *shrugs* I don’t know……
Blain: *sighs*
Girl: … Do you wanna play a game……? *smiles*
Blain: A-A game…? Shouldn’t you be in bed? It’s very late…
Girl: *shrugs* I’m not tired… And besides, no one told me to go to bed…
Blain: Look eh… I have to go… Just… Go back, okay…? They’ll take care of you…

Than I got up to walk away, but when I made the first step…

Girl: … That’s what everyone tells me…
Blain: What…? Whadda ya mean…?
Girl: To go back… But… I always end up being alone…
Blain: I eh…
Girl: … Please…?

I looked at her for a short moment. It doesn’t take you long to realize she really is lonely. Her face said everything… And I felt sorry for her…

Blain: What do you have in mind…? *smiles*
Girl: You know how to play checkers…?
Blain: Hmmm… I’m afraid not… What else you got…?
Girl: … Chess?
Blain: Well yeah, sure… I know how to play chess… Not saying I’m good at it though…
Girl: *smiles*

She let her backpack slide off of her back and opened it. She opened a box and got out a cardboard chessboard and plastic chess pieces. She sets up the board and we started playing…

She said something every now and then, and I just went along with it. She told me that she had a lot of friends back home, and once she gets back, they’ll be playing hide and seek in the forests like they always did. She loves to draw with her brother, and told me she got this chessboard for her birthday from her brother… After a while, it stayed silent for a short moment while it was my move… Then I noticed she looked at me…

Girl: You’re a soldier, right…?
Blain: Yeah, I am… Or… At least I was…
Girl: Was it worth it…?
Blain: What was worth it…?
Girl: To be a soldier…?

Blain: Hm…
Girl: … Was it…?
Blain: Well… In all these years that I’ve been a soldier, I’ve been pretty much all over the world… And I saw a lot of how other people lived… They didn’t have education, jobs, food, and water or just about anything… Shooting was part of every day life… And I helped others by getting rid of their oppressors and to rebuild it despite all the dangers I faced and to protect my friends… If I wasn’t fighting for myself to be free, then who would…? I sacrificed a lot… But I also gained a lot… It gave me peace for 23 years with the woman I love… So… Was it worth it…? I guess so…

Girl: Yeah but… What about now…? You said you’re not a soldier anymore…

Blain: Yeah… But… You gotta see it this way… Wars are like… A massive game of chess… You and I fight over important squares, and for the ones we don’t occupy with our own pieces… It’s not enough just to guard your own king while you’re enemies are advancing in on you, trying to capture your queen… I fight to stop them, and hopefully one day, you or your children don’t have to face the threat of another war…

Girl: …
Blain: I learned a lot from the first war that I was in… Only the future will show us if we were successful to end this war… But… Hopefully, in the end, we’ll be the ones saying “checkmate”…

Girl: … Dang! *smiles*
Blain: Hehehe…

We talked for about another hour… She told me a lot about her friends, what she likes to do, and everything. And I just listened. I felt as if she needs someone that listens to her. It’s gruesome to hear what she’s been through before she got here, but she doesn’t really seem to mind. She doesn’t know any better… At some point, she packed her chessboard back in her backpack and was about to leave…

Girl: What’s your name…?
Blain: I-I’m Blain…
Girl: *smiles*

Then she turned around to walk away…

Blain: Wait, what’s your name…?!
Girl: I’m Kaelyn…!

… Kaelyn…?

Kaelyn: *smiles*

And with that, she walked away in the poorly illuminated corridor… I was so baffled for some reason… I stared into blank space for a moment until I felt someone touched my shoulder as I saw Kaelyn walking away…

Nicole: Blain…?
Blain: Hm?
Nicole: You alright…?
Blain: Yeah, yeah… I-I’m fine…
Nicole: You sure…?
Blain: *nods*
Nicole: … Who was that girl you were talking to…?
Blain: Just… S-Someone who needed company…

Nicole and I sat together for a short moment and talked… At some point, I told that if she was tired, she should go on ahead I wanted to stay for a while… On the way back I encountered Vilani. She looks exhausted… A total wreck… I didn’t know what was going on, but when I started to talk to Vilani, I found out that Shifty and Jarod were missing for two days now. After the fighting in Azerbaijan, they haven’t been seen since. Truth be told, I haven’t thought about them… I wasn’t thinking about my own guys… Nicole and I were so caught up by our own problems that we didn’t even saw the misery of others. I had the feeling that the unity we once had here was slowly crumbling down… The moral was down and seemed to get lower by the day… Supplies were low and we were in desperate need for ammo, food and water… Vilani said that it wasn’t worth it… She was the first one to realize… And then slowly, I too realized it… I opened my eyes… And realized that it was a matter of waiting…

For the first time in many months, I had the feeling we were delusional… That we were all imagining an enormous victory of the GUN against all odds… But that wasn’t possible… The GUN has hundreds of thousands of mobile infantry, Rapid Deployment Troops, weapons, gunships, tanks, mobile artillery, APC’s and a lot more… Not the mention the advanced technology they have… All we have are a couple of thousand soldiers and a delusional vision… How could we be so deceived by our own imagination…? Was it desperation that led us to believe that…? A spark of hope…? The longer I thought about it, the more I started to believe that…

Like many nights, I couldn’t sleep in peace. This night was no exception… That idea kept on circling in my head and it never seemed to go away… Nicole had her head on my chest and an arm around my stomach while we were cuddling like that…

Nicole: … You still awake……?
Blain: Yeah……
Nicole: What’s wrong……?
Blain: … Nothing……
Nicole: *Kisses Blain’s chest*
Blain: I think I finally accepted it…
Nicole: Accepted what……?
Blain: … Everything…… Because… The only thing I can do is to accept the things the way they are… Nothing more, nothing less…

Nicole: *sighs*
Blain: And… I thought about you said…
Nicole: What…?
Blain: When the war is over… I’ll do everything to stay with you…… If they offer me a new arm, I’ll take it… I’ll need a chaos drive that lasts for at least thirty more years… I’ll take any alternative there is to keep me alive… I don’t wanna go like this…

Nicole: … You really mean that……?
Blain: *nods* Yeah… I didn’t come all this and survived everything just to die by something like this… I won’t give up…

Nicole: *smiles weakly*
Blain: Hehe…

Nicole: You’re not the only one having good memories to that arm…
Blain: Whadda ya mean……?
Nicole: … *smiles and blushes*
Blain: Oooooooh… Hehehe… Yeah I get it…
Nicole: Hehe…
Blain: *smiles*
Nicole: … Do you remember that time under the stars in the grass at night…? A long time ago…?

Blain: Of course I do… The second time we were on top of an ant hill… Hehehe…
Nicole: Yeah…… We had nasty stings and itches for weeks…
Blain: *smiles*
Nicole: I wish we were young again… And to experience everything again with what we know now…

Blain: *nods* I really miss those days… Each and every day with no worries… Do whatever we like without being bound to something… And look at us now…

Nicole: Heh…
Blain: … You think everything will be back like how it used to be once the war is over……?
Nicole: I don’t know, Blain… I really don’t… But… I know that one day; everything will be back like how it used to be…

Blain: How’d you know…?
Nicole: I just know, Blain…… I just know……

We cuddled for a long time without saying anything… At some point, she turned over as I placed my head on her head and held on to her… And I felt how her heart was beating… Slowly… The sounds of her heart beating made me relax… All she’ll hear when she places her head on my chest is total silence…

I don’t know how to express my feelings towards her. So I decided not to. But she knows… It’s something I rarely talk about and I don’t know how to deal with it… But that night, I felt something special… I didn’t know what it was… I never felt it before… It’s some sort of excitement… But intense… The other feelings I ever felt with her was nothing compared to this particular feeling I felt that night… The feeling was sparked the moment she looked me in the eyes and held me by my waist. Her beautiful smile slowly turned into a serious expression… I knew what was coming… Normally, it’s not something I would talk about it with someone else besides Nicole… It’s not because I was ashamed of it, nor was it because I thought it was a wrong thing to talk about. No… It’s because I don’t know what to say about it…

She always held her head close to mine whenever it happened… She firmly held on to me, as I feel her warm breath in my neck… Most of the times, she looked you in the eyes whenever she wasn’t closing them, and whispered in my ear… Nicole always told me that love does not revolve around the things we sometimes did… So… Why’d we do it if love isn’t revolving around it…? She always smiled and blushed whenever I asked her that… But she always came up with the same answer… It brings us closer together and will only make the love grow… I never quite understood what she meant with that… Over the years, I wasn’t thinking about my feelings for her… It was just there without ever leaving me… But that night, I finally understood what she meant with it… No words can describe it… I could feel it… Smell it… Hear it… Touch it… It was all there… And like she told me many years ago… I had to give in to those feelings… Which I did… So it was no exception I gave in to those feeling that night…

When I woke up the next morning, I heard a lot yelling. Every now and then, I heard loud thuds as if stuff fell over. As soon as I checked to see what was happening, I saw a few guys I didn’t know were surrounding a human… A panther, a lion, a lioness, a Rottweiler, a mustang and a cougar… And Tavish was there as well…

Mustang: Whoa, easy there, buddy!
Human: Sparaht mjilnoradachi de mi genude!!

As soon the cougar slowly closed in on the human, the human punched the cougar on the nose real hard

Cougar: Ow!! What the!! frack!!
Panther: Hey!! Cool it!! We don’t wanna hurt you!!
Rottweiler: The hell is he saying?!
Lion: How the frack should I now?!!
Human: Noia!! Noia pasitiayo!! El furka sabahr!! El furka sabahr!!!
Mustang: Does anyone speak whatever the hell he’s speaking?!!
Human: Hyminat genude musala hochsonit ha deh!!

Lioness: Watch it!!

They all jumped on the human and cuffed him… The human kept on yelling and crying and tried to get free but he couldn’t…

Blain: What’s up with the human soldier…?
Tavish: These guys found him wondering in the outskirts of the city all by himself. I don’t know what he was doing, but he was probably trying to get back to his own kind.

Blain: I see…
Tavish: Everything is just so chaotic at the moment, sarge…

It stayed silent for a short moment as we watched the human…

Blain: Tavish…?
Tavish: Yes sarge…?
Blain: Any word from Jarod and Shifty…?
Tavish: *nods slowly*
Blain: … Well…?
Tavish: These guys found Jarod… Their from the 409th Mobile artillery… The six of them are the only ones left… And I saw that they carried Jarod and that human in… I think the lieutenant knows more… Lieutenant Mallow?

The Rottweiler looked up and walked towards Tavish…

Tavish: Lieutenant Mallow, this sergeant Blain of the 506th.
Mallow: Nice to meet you sir.
Blain: Likewise… I understand you found one of my guys…?
Mallow: Yeah, a big cat. We were on our way to Azerbaijan after hearing the secured broadcasts frequencies… On the way, we saw him on the outskirts of the city crawling in the mud towards the city… He got shot, and looked like a total mess… He kept on saying he had to go back to get someone… I can’t remember what the name was, eh…

Blain: … Shifty…?
Mallow: Yeah, that’s the one.
Blain: Did you found him as well…?
Mallow: No sir… He was the only one we found besides the human.
Blain: *nods slowly*
Tavish: Jarod is being taken care of in the sickbay… Vilani’s with him…
Blain: I see… Thanks…

Mallow: Don’t mention it.
Blain: So… Mobile artillery huh?
Mallow: Yeah. The big guy over there is Di-Angelo. The lioness is Saidah, Di-Angelo’s girl. The mustang is Eleanor. The big cougar who got punched is Fabian. And that black panther over there is Gino.

All: *nods*

Blain: What are we gonna do with him? *nods over to the human*
Mallow: I don’t know. He’s a POW now… He surrendered, he’s scared.
Blain: Yeah, I can see that…

All of a sudden, I felt a hand on my shoulder. As I turned around, I saw Scyth…

Scyth: Sarge… I have to talk to you…
Blain: *nods* Excuse me, Mallow.
Mallow: Yes, sir.

Scyth had a very serious face when we walked… Way more serious then normal… He had an arm around my shoulder and kept pushing me where we could be alone… There was something definitely wrong… On the way, he didn’t say anything… Once we reached a place where we were alone, he looked around, and when he was sure we were truly alone, he looked at me…

Scyth: Blain… Something big has happened…
Blain: What…?
Scyth: Cooper is dead…
Blain: … Who…?
Scyth: The guy who runs COMScann on his own…
Blain: … What…?!
Scyth: *nods*
Blain: … How’d he died…? Heart attack or something…?
Scyth: *shakes head*
Blain: He’s murdered…?
Scyth: His throat was slit and he misses his right hand and eye… He was killed…
Blain: … Whoa…… Why the hell was he murdered…?
Scyth: He runs COMScann on his own… He kept track of enemy activities around our perimeters in a radius of a hundred kilometres… He was the guy who launched the UAV for you to indentify enemy positions… He gave coordinates for artillery strikes…

Blain: … Damn…
Scyth: He was only one who knew how the whole tactical operations centre worked… With him being dead, we’re not able to prepare counter measures when the time is near…

Blain: …
Scyth: You don’t realize the seriousness of it, do you…?
Blain: What are you talking about…?
Scyth: Cooper was murdered because someone doesn't want us to get out alive... Someone is trying to rat everyone out...

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment