Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 40 - And they all lived happily ever after...

The final story of Blain and Nicole...

Chapter 40 - And they all lived happily ever after...

Chapter 40 - And they all lived happily ever after...
I held his hand as Blain passed away silently… I lay down next to him and cuddled him as tears flowed down my cheek and hit his... And at that same moment, that same desolate feeling came back I once had many years ago…

The sounds of gunshots started to fade off to the point it was total silence… I heard boots running through the corridors and every now and then, I heard a short fire fight… At that point, I realized that the GUN breached the base… But I didn’t run away…

It didn’t take long before I got noticed… I saw a group of soldiers coming towards us as I still held on to Blain crying. They looked at us for a short moment as they aimed their weapons on us… Then they realized Blain already died… They violently pushed me on the ground, as one of them firmly pressed his knee between my shoulder blades The kneecap of the soldier hurt a lot in my back as another soldier cuffed me… They lifted me up by my arms and once I stood on my legs, I got a black bag shoved over my head… And it all turned dark… I was forced to walk with them, and they literally threw me inside of something. I couldn’t see what it was I was being thrown in. I heard jet engines… For hours, I couldn’t see… Breathing was difficult through that bag… Why they didn’t shoot me on the spot is something I will never know…

Many hours later, I got pushed again… Got forced to walk… They threw me again
… They picked me up, and forced me to sit down… And then finally, the black bag got taken off of my head… It was a small, dark room… Two guards stood by the door as another person came in… He shines a bright flashlight in my face as I could only see black figures of large humans in front of me…

Interrogator: Do you know why you're here?
Nicole: No… Please...

Interrogator: You've been formally charged with three counts of murder, the bombing of government property, conspiracy to commit terrorism, and treason to the empire. The penalty for which is death by firing squad. You have one chance and only one chance to save your life. You must tell us the identity or whereabouts of Sigma-Alpha 301. We know you had contact with him. If your information leads to his apprehension, you will be released from this facility immediately. Do you understand what I'm telling you?

Nicole: I-I… D-don’t… I-I didn’t do anything……
Interrogator: We know.
Nicole: N-No p-please…!

Interrogator: Process her.

The two
guards, who stood near the door, dragged me off the chair and into another room, which looked like a prison shower… I didn’t see any shower heads, but I did saw drains… They told me to undress after I got hit a few times… Then they hung me up by my tail as they released hot boiling steam over my body…

After I got thrown in a cell, I crawled over to a puddle of water that was leaking through the roof, and stared at it. And I saw a reflection of myself, covered in bruises, cuts and a black eye… I still saw the stale bread left over from previous prisoner and I saw a mouse coming out of a gap in the wall… He sniffs the bread, and then runs off again… I guess even the mouse doesn’t like it…

I didn’t know what it was like to be alive anymore… To actually feel the warm sun on you… To feel the blistering cold… The touch of water… The wind in your hair… Memories of how it all used to be and all the feelings I had floated upwards… The things I’ve experienced over the years and the people I’ve seen passing away over the monthsThe only thing I did every day in my cell was crying… I was starting to lose my mind…

I was seeing things in the pitch black at night… I was starting to get ill… I was sick… Every time I looked in the puddle of water and saw my reflection, I stared at someone who wasn’t me… Little wounds on my body which stung… My fur turning pale and mat… I literally saw myself rotting away… It actually felt like that…

Being hit every day to know something I didn’t know was unbearable… It went on for months, maybe even years… I didn’t know… But one day, I wasn’t afraid of them anymore…

That day, I got thrown in the interrogator cell for the last time, and yet again, he shined a bright flashlight in my face… This time, it was different… I wasn’t afraid no longer…

Interrogator: I am instructed to inform you that you have been convicted by special tribunal and that unless you are ready to offer your cooperation you are to be executed. Do you understand what I'm telling you…?

Nicole: … Y-Yes…
Interrogator: … Are you ready to cooperate…?
Nicole: … N-No… *shakes head*
Interrogator: Very well.

And not long after that, I got thrown in my cell again…

I received a letter as well… A guard walked by and dropped it through the bars… I crawled over to it, and hesitated to read it at first… But when I finally had the guts to open the letter, I wasn’t shocked by its content… This was just bound to happen… It was a death warrant…

On behalf of the Empire I am instructed to inform you that you have been convicted by special tribunal.

You have been formally charged with three counts of murder, the bombing of government property, conspiracy to commit terrorism, and treason to the empire. The penalty for which is death by firing squad.

The sentence will be carried out on:

Tuesday 11th of
December 3156

May there be mercy on you're soul.

Sincerely,

Second-class Lieutenant Paul D. Jackson
Commander of the
Phoenix National Guard Regiment

I knew that this was coming…
They knew it was coming… So why the hell did they bother to write a letter…? Trying to be formal…? Pssh… It was a waste of ink and paper… And the accusations… They wanted to know where Scyth was… So why did they falsely accuse me of things I never commit…? It’s because they needed a reason… A reason to keep me in that prison for so many months… Officially, Scyth doesn’t even exist… Keeping me in that prison and tell them about Scyth’s existence wouldn’t be acknowledged by officials So they falsely accused me of things I didn’t commit so that they had a reason to execute me if I wouldn’t tell them… But for some reason… The execution was never realized… I was just another victim of political games

The copies that Blain made of that flashcard turned to be a crucial turn in the events of the war… It was inevitable for Rico and Jarod that they were also captured by GUN troops, but they’re flashcards got examined when they got strip searched…They were taken to a different facility… The GUN also did their research, just like we did, but the GUN and we both came to a dead end… Those flashcards turned to be the missing link… GUN started to focus on the ICA once they knew about it… The cloning project got intercepted just in time… More then four hundred people were arrested and charged with acts of war and violating civil rights… Three hundred and fifty four people faced execution, while the rest served life sentence in a maximum secured prison… All the lifeforms got their life-support shut down while they were in state of suspended animation in their cryochambers and diedAnd so The war was over in a blink of an eye… And the hunt for the surviving lifeforms began…

Out of the thousands of refugees and soldiers in the base, only seventy eight furries and humans survived… The only reason why they survived is because of the nuclear shelter… Sometimes I wished I stayed there…

Rico and Jarod were considered to be heroes for ending the war. They always said that Blain was the real hero, but they didn’t commemorate him as much as they did with Rico and Jarod… It’s because they were still alive… But I think Blain was a hero just as much as Rico and Jarod… The oldest lifeform ever to be created, deflected, contributed in ending the first war, who gave me a chance of happiness and he gave me the most precious gift someone could ever offer… His love… But if you asked Blain if he was a hero, he would probably say that he’s not… He would simply just say “No”. But he was still a hero to me… Just as much as everyone else I ever met during the war…

A few months after the war, Jarod couldn’t take it anymore… He was mentally instable after killing his lifelong friend who was mortally wounded and the death of his beloved Vilani and their unborn kitten… So Jarod placed a pistol in his mouth… Leaving Rico as the only survivor of Blain’s squad

Even when the war was over for more then a year, they never came for me to get me out... They just simply forgot about me and everyone else who was imprisoned here. We did see soldiers… But as the months passed by, we saw them lesser and lesser…

Kaelyn often visited me while I was in my cell… She always came when I cried… Like she knew… And she always asked the same question… Why I was crying… And I always answered the same… Some of the guards always looked baffled at me… Maybe it was because they were wondering what a little child was doing in my cell… A cell isn’t a place for a kid to be in… But Kaelyn stayed for a few hours… And whenever she had to go again, I always told her not to wonder off too far… It’s dangerous to wander around alone…

Kaelyn: Why are you crying……? *wipes tear away*
Nicole: I’m just happy to see you, baby…… That’s all…… *caresses Kaelyn’s head*
Kaelyn: Mom……?
Nicole: Yes……?
Kaelyn: I’m always you’re friend right……?
Nicole: *smiles weakly* Yeah…… *kisses Kaelyn’s forehead*
Kaelyn: *smiles*
Nicole: You know……
Kaelyn: *whispers* What……?
Nicole: Look outside…
Kaelyn: Eh…?
Nicole: Just look… You see it…?
Kaelyn: The moon and the stars…?
Nicole: Yes… *smiles*
Kaelyn: What about it…?
Nicole: I’ve seen so many sunrises and sunsets with you’re dad… And even though I’ll never see one again, I know some day I will…

Kaelyn: Why are there so many stars…?

Nicole: Well… Some say, that… When you pass away, your soul goes up to the heavens and takes its place in the skies… They’ll watch over you while you’re asleep, disguised as stars... And sometimes… They’ll even visit you… In the form of a dream… And whenever you feel lonely, or sad… Just look up to them… And they’ll guide you through… They always do…

Kaelyn: You think that daddy is up there…?
Nicole: I know he’s there…
Kaelyn: *smiles*

We cuddled for a long time when she let go of me… She looked at me, kissed my cheek and told me she had to go… It was always a difficult time for me when she had to go… But then again, she’s growing to be quite an independent young lady… And at some point, you’ll have to take a step back… I never wanted her to get hurt… But she’s a smart girl… She knows what she’s doing… I couldn’t get up myself… Instead, she bends over and hugged me… She told me how much she loved me… Then she let go… And walked off in the darkness…

Nicole: I-I luff you t-too, baby…… I-I luff you so m-mu-much……
Guard: …. Who the hell is she talking to……?
Guard 2: Oh, her. Don’t mind her, she’s fracking mental.
Guard: I know but… Why is she here in the first place?
Guard 2: *shrugs*
Guard: Ah well. Got a cigarette?
Guard 2: Yeah, sure.

And th
en one day… There were no more soldiers… They stopped coming… And they forgot about us…

We haven’t seen soldiers in four days now… We didn’t receive any food or water anymore… The only way I kept myself from dehydrating was to drink the water that was seeping through the roof, and the puddle of water in my cell… But… That night, I woke up… I thought I heard a familiar voice… I got up from my bed and stumbled towards the cell door… Then I heard it again… It was Blain… He said he was coming to get me out… I yelled and begged him to take me with him… Then the awful truth came to light, as I realized Blain already died a long time ago… Then I just fell down on the ground…

I cried myself to sleep that night… Quietly… No one heard anything… As soon as I woke up, I felt the nice warm sun shining on my face… I focused my eyes to get a better vision… No longer was I in a cell… Huge open grass plains, surrounded by the big forest like it was back home… There wasn’t a living soul I encountered as I walked, and I even walked by the lake
that was near my house… As I bent over to see my own reflection, I saw I was young again… I looked at my arms and the wounds disappeared… My fur was glossy and violet again… My tail felt flexible… I noticed a reflection of someone standing behind me. As I turned around, I saw it was Cody… Cody smiled at me and gestured to get up the hill… I ran towards him and saw the village along with everyone else… As everyone gathered around me and hugged me, I saw Blain standing in the distance with a girl I’ve seen a long time ago…

I died in a cold cell on a cold December night when I was 43 years old and passed away in my sleep… Silent… Peaceful… Alone… That’s all I ever wanted ever since this began It seems strange that my life ended in such a terrible place, but for twenty three years I had all I ever wanted... But I perished in a cell, all alone, which was something I never imagined when I was youngAnd every inch of me perished in that cell… Every inch of me, except of one. One inch... It’s small and fragile and it’s the only thing in the world worth having We must never lose it or give it away We must never let them take it away from us... I hope that whoever you are, you understand what I’m telling you... I hope that the world is a better place in the future, and that things will get better... And that something so horrible and meaningless this thing called “war” may never return… But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I don’t know you, and even though I may never see you, laugh with you, cry with you, or hold you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you

I am where I am now…

Fifty years later…

Tv: Nations have always build monuments for their heroes. Tributes to the defence against or the conquests of other nations. But the monument here, doesn’t favour one nation over another. It is the first of its kind, to commemorate the enduring survival of a species. Our species. More importantly, it commemorates the men and women, who gave the world faith, gave Mobius a future and made Mobians, believe again. So it’s no surprise the piece itself is special. Begun 3 years ago, in the year 3202, the monument is a diorama build entirely by hand. It is a three dimensional snapshot of Azerbaijan and the soldiers, who took to it that day. The scene has been reproduced with painstakingly attention to detail, and authenticity. Only the men and woman who were there know it better. For the first time in 50 years, First Medical Officer Rico from the 506th regiment and the only remaining survivor this day, he returns to the scene where it was all happening…

Tv: It’s eh… Strange… To… To see everything again… I’ve been denying it for so many years and… I never thought I would return… This is exactly how it was 50 years ago… Nothing changed… And… It should stay that way… People shouldn’t forget what happened here a long time ago…

Tv: What do you think this place means…?
Tv: It tells a story…
Tv: What kind of story…?
Tv: It tells a story about betrayal… Courage… Sorrow… I don’t know… A thousand words don’t mean anything to me when I see it again… I can’t tell what it feels like… You had to be there to know what I’m feeling right now…

*long silence*

Tv: How did you managed to live with it…?
Tv: Ehm… The sergeant… He… He once told me that… That no one should be honoured for what is expected from them…

Tv: … Did you believe that…?
Tv: … Yes… Yes, and I still do…
Tv: *screen fades away to a news studio*

Tv: Yes, that was eh… quite a story… Today it’s been exactly fifty years since the conflict ended and there will be a memorial service tonight at the Shuhia Taiba to remember the casualties of that dreadful conflict. ERTC will broadcast the memorial live tonight at eight. And in other news, military intervention to break up the riots in the capital of Sitembileq caused the death of over-

Rachel: *sighs and turns TV off*

I woke up one night... For... No particular reason… I had a bad dream but as soon as I opened my eyes I forgot what it was about…

The end…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment