Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 16 - Holes in the Ship

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 16 - Holes in the Ship

Chapter 16 - Holes in the Ship
Chapter 16
June had mixed feelings as The Avenger and it’s crew sped off. When she had first discovered what happened to Earth it hit her pretty hard. She remembered crying for a few days and moping around for weeks afterwards until finally she snapped out of it. She told herself to be strong and move on and decided it wouldn’t be healthy to go out looking for revenge. Now here she was off to get revenge.
The excitement of the crew was rather contagious as she stood on the bridge. Jenny piloted the ship as fast as it could go while Betty sat in the captain’s chair, her eyes glued to the tracking system. Jake had gotten impatient and had begun pacing the halls. Even Phantom had joined in the excitement and stood next to the door with his usual creepy aura.
“So, uhh,” June broke the tense silence, “How much longer?”
“About 30 minutes.” Betty replied, still staring at the tracking system.
June wondered if she could stand even five minuets more of this, let alone half an hour. Phantom was the next to brake the silence. “If that’s the case I have things to work on, call me when we get there.”
“Don’t put any more hole in my ship.” Betty answered almost robotically.
June watched as Phantom walked away. “I think I’ll go help him.” She blurted. Anything to get out of this tension.
“Make sure he doesn’t put any more holes in my ship.” Betty said as June left.
“Aye aye, Captain.”
June caught up with Phantom in his room. “So, Phantom, what’cha doooin’?” she said as the door slid open.
Phantom looked up from a tangle of wires and circuit boards. “Working.”
“Ooookay.” June looked around at all the machines and devices scattered around. She snatched up one that looked somewhat like a microphone. “Mr. Phantom!” She said in her best T.V. announcer voice, “You’re moments away from catching the destroyers of Earth, how do you feel now?” She shoved the device in Phantom’s face. Phantom simply stared at her for a moment.
“I don’t feel.” he said, picking up the gizmo he was working on and bringing it over to the Fenton Portal.
“Oh come on, Casper, you’ve gotta feel something.”
Phantom began plugging circuit boards into the Portal. “I feel nothing beyond a desire for revenge and a need to be feared.”
‘That explains a lot‘, June thought, “Yeah, but you weren’t always like that, were you?”
Phantom’s shoulders slumped, “No. Not always. In fact it’s kind of ironic, I’ve always wanted to be an astronaut. Now I am one and I can’t even enjoy it.”
“Heh. You know what’s really ironic? I’m in that same boat.” June set down the microphone. “I wanted to be an astronaut too. But with the whole Te Xuan Ze thing I couldn’t ever leave Orchid Bay, it was like a prison. Going to the moon was totally out.”
“And you’re not enjoying this because…?”
“I had to loose everything to get this. And I really don’t think it’s worth it.”
Phantom remained silent and continued working. “So,” he said after a while, “are you ready to pay the invaders back?”
June sat on a nearby table, “Maybe, I don’t know. Revenge seems kind of, I dunno, pointless, you know?”
“No, I don’t know,” Phantom said sounding a little annoyed, “explain.”
“Well, I mean, even if we beat the invaders, what does that do? It won’t bring back all the people we lost. It won’t undo what’s been done.” Phantom paused in his work. “Phantom? If there was another way to deal with this without revenge, would you go with it?”
Phantom opened his mouth to answer but was cut off.
“June, Phantom, we’re nearing the target. Come up on deck.” Betty’s voice rang out anxiously over the intercom.
“We should get going.” Phantom said and walked quickly towards the door.
“Yeah, alright.” June followed.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment