Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 17 - Can you hear me now?

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 17 - Can you hear me now?

Chapter 17 - Can you hear me now?
Chapter 17
The Avenger landed almost daintily in the small asteroid, positioning itself so the invader’s ship would not be able to see it. On board -as soon as June an Phantom were on the bridge- Betty gave the crew a briefing.
“Alright, it looks like we only have one scout ship here. That either means that it got separated from the rest of the fleet or this is all a trap. We need to be ready for either possibility. If it’s just lost, we can get valuable information from that ship. If it’s a trap, we have the chance to draw the invaders out. We’ll need two teams. One to board the scout ship, the other to be ready with The Avenger. Jenny, Phantom, and I will board the ship and see what we can learn, June and Jake, you’ll stay here and watch the scanners for any suspicious activity. Any questions?”
“Yeah, I got one,” Jake said, not even trying to hide his displeasure, “Why do I gotta stay here?”
“One, I need you and June here to protect the ship in case the invaders try to board and steal it. Two, we don’t have any space suits, you can’t breath in space, and there’s no atmosphere on this asteroid. I have a breather built into my uniform and Jenny and Phantom don’t need to breath. Any more questions?” The crew remained silent, “We’ll be communicating through Jenny’s connection with the ship, incase anyone’s snooping in on us. We’ll call you in a few minutes to make sure it works. Let’s move out.” With that, Jenny, Phantom and Betty left and were soon on the asteroid’s surface moving towards the ship, leaving Jake and June on the bridge.
It didn’t take long for June to sense that Jake was getting antsy again, not that he really tried to hide it. He was pacing back and forth only stopping to fiddle with the ships instruments. June usually was a laid-back kind of person (with the only exceptions being when a giant frog was eating everything or something like that) so this was starting to get on her nerves.
“Hey, lizard lips, you mind settling down? You’re kinda freakin’ me out.”
Jake sighed and took her advice. Being impatient wasn’t going to help anything today. “Sorry.” He muttered
“Nah, It’s cool,” June shook a hand in his direction, “I get it, you just wanna go kick some butt.”
Jake plopped down in his chair, “Heh, How’d you guess?”
“Aww, c’mon, You know how the magical protector business is; if you don’t have to lay the smack-down on a mutant parakeet at least once a week, somethin’s horribly wrong.”
“Parakeets? It was always mutant cockroaches for me.”
“Hey, speakin’ of weirdness, I gotta question for you. Before I met you guys I saw a couple of other humans but none of them were from Earth, most didn’t even know what Earth was. How’s that work out?”
Jake scratched his head, “Betty tried to explain it to us once, I didn’t really understand, but she said it was kinda like if you got a million monkeys a million typewriters you’d get Shakespeare, and how if you get a million planets and a million species, humans are bound to pop up more that once.”
“So it’s just a complete fluke is what you’re saying, right?”
“As I understand it.”
Just then the ship’s communication panel chirped on.
“Hey! Can you hear me now?” came Jenny’s voice.
Jake dashed to the communicator in a way as if to make Olympic athletes jealous, “Yeah, hear you loud and clear!”
“Good!”
“Okay, quick physics question, ‘cause I just know it’ll keep me up all night,” June asked, walking to the controls, “If there’s no air out there then there’s no sound, right? So how can you be talking to us?”
“Oh, I have a direct link from my brain to the ship, so this is all happening in my head!”
“Huh, weird. So what’s it like, being hooked up to the ship?” Jake said.
“I think it hates me.”
“Naw,” June said, “ You’re just being a pessimistic robot.”
“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Jenny said cheerfully.
“So, Jen,” Jake said, “are you there yet?”
“Yeah, we can see the ship now,”
“Well, what’s it look like?” June said, leaning over Jake.
“Like a piece of junk, I’m surprised it even made it this far. Betty says it’s an Irkin Voot Cruiser. I don’t know what that means but we’re about to check it out.”
“Keep us posted, okay?” Jake said.
“You got it. Oh, Betty’s trying to get it opened and- WHAT TH-” the feed suddenly turned to static.
Jake started franticly pushing buttons “Jenny? Jenny? What happened? Jenny?”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment