Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Chamaeleon

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 2 - The Chamaeleon

Chapter 2 - The Chamaeleon
        “You’ll never take me alive! You, uh, JERKS!” Screamed the Chamaeleon over the communication systems.
        Atomic Betty had quite a problem on her hands this time. A psychotic super-spy in a stolen experimental Warship that allowed him to not only monitor, but also control every aspect of the ship. Naturally Betty took a little time to think.
        “Sparky, X-5, I want you to run every diversionary tactic you can think of, and when you get in range, fire on the Avenger, don’t hit it, just keep the Chamaeleon’s attention.”
        “What are you gonna do, Chief?” Sparky asked
        “I’m going to pay the Chameleon a little visit.”
        In moments she had boarded her personal hover scooter and launched off. For a moment she drifted in space as she waited for Sparky and X-5 to begin. A warning shot grazed across the hull of the Avenger, which clearly got the Chameleon’s attention, as the massive warship fired every gun it had at the small cruiser. She wasn’t worried though, X-5 knew every tactic used since Admiral Degill was a cadet, and Sparky was one of the best pilots a captain could ask for. As soon as she saw her ship bob and dart, she began to steer towards the Avenger.
        After studying the X-HTL schematics, Betty had discovered that a series of cameras placed all over the ship’s hull allowed the crew to monitor and assess any damage that may be sustained. She had also found the one place on the ship the Chamaeleon wouldn’t be able to see. The ship’s designers apparently didn’t see the practicality of placing a camera near the thickest, strongest part of the hull, right over power cells in the engine room.
        Using her bracelet’s laser function, Betty cut a hole just big enough for her to squeeze through. The engine room was entirely automated in order to allow the entire crew to be on deck in a battle, witch meant she wouldn’t have to worry about the Chamaeleon seeing her, at least, not until she got into the hall.
        In the engin room, robotic arms reached, pulled, and stretched, struggling to keep up with the strain the Chamaeleon was placing on the ship. To most, seeing all those unforgiving machines moving in a chaotic, mechanized ballet would have brought to mind a sudden and disturbingly messy demise or at least the painful and great loss of limbs. To Atomic Betty, however, it hardly seemed worthy of a cadet.
        She slipped though the hole she had cut and stood tight against the wall, analyzing the patterns. It didn’t take long for her to figure it out and start on her way. Duck, roll, jump, stop, three second delay, 1...2...3, GO!, one step to the right, grab an arm, ride it until it gets to the spare parts bin, jump off before it gets to the recycling bin, tuck and roll, jump forward, and blast open the door. She looked back an smiled, the engine room of a highly experimental warship had just fallen into the very long list of people and things that had lost to her, after all, she always won.
        As easy as it was to go thought the engine room, dodging the intricate surveillance system in the hall was a little less than basic training in Betty’s eyes. It was a simple matter of avoiding the camera’s (and, therefor, the Chamaeleon’s) sight. She was beginning to plan out the suggestions she would give to the builders to make braking in to the ship seem less like child’s play when a massive jolt traveled trough the entire ship, pitching her across the hall, into the camera’s view.
        “Cutting it a little close, guys.” she muttered as she jumped back into the blind spot she was tossed from, hoping the Chamaeleon hadn’t seen her on his monitors.
        Apparently he did. Out of the walls popped the automated, self-targeting guns. They stared to blast at her, but fortunately for Betty the builders had never planned on this system being used against a Galactic Guardian. Within moments Betty (who no longer had to worry about being seen) had dismantled the weapons and reached th door to the Bridge. She placed her hand on the panel to open the door. ‘LOCKED’ the panel flashed in red.
        “Galactic Guardian override code: S-K-L-one-zero.” she said calmly.
        ‘One moment please...’ the screen replied, ‘Galactic code not recognized.’
        “It’s only a prototype so the galactic codes must not have been programed in yet.” she reasoned with her self, making a mental not to add that topic to her discussion with the builders. “Oh well,” she sighed. Raising her hand, she fired a laser blast at the panel. The panel seemed to recognize this code as the door slid open. She entered the room carefully, keeping her bracelet at the ready.
        “Atomic Betty!” shouted the Chameleon, from the captain’s chair, “My arch foe!” he added. It was almost adorable to see someone like the Chameleon call Atomic Betty his arch foe, but, then again it was coming out of the mouth of a psychotic lizard-man.
        “Chameleon, I hereby place you under arrest for grand theft warship, come quietly and I’ll go easy on you.”
        “NEVER!” He protested, turning in to a large, more muscular version of himself.
        “You asked for it,” she smirked and fired from her bracelet a small pink ball, no bigger than a marble. To the Chameleon’s shock, the ball flew right past his very large left shoulder. To properly express his disbelief, he returned to his normal form.
        “You MISSED! I was as big as a house and you missed! How could you miss?!”
        What he had failed to notice, however, was the ball, after passing him, has ricochet off a panel in the back and was now headed towards him. Just before it hit him, the ball exploded in a mess of pink goo that effectively covered the Chameleon. For a moment, he struggled, changing into many hideous different creatures, trying to squirm, cut or rip his way out of the goo, but to no avail.
        “Mmmmf! Mmmm!” he said, though it probably would have sounded even more menacing and insulting it he could move his mouth. Calmly and cooly Betty walked over to the captain’s chair and hailed her cruiser.
        “Sparky, X-5, I’ve taken control of The Avenger. Let’s get this thing back to base.”
        “Aye, Aye, Chief!” Sparky said eagerly.
        “Good work guys, but you need to work on your aim, you hit the ship.”
        “Actually there was this weird shock-wave, it hit us, too.”
        “X-5, can you calculate were it may have come from?”
        “One moment please.” Betty was worried, a shockwave powerful enough to feel like a blast from a cannon, even at a close range, would have to have come from an extremely powerful explosion.
        “It seemed to originate from coordinates 5-062-98B4.”
        Her stomach dropped like a lead weight at hearing that. Those were Earth’s coordinates.
        “Change of plan, you take the Chameleon on board and bring him back to headquarters while I take The Avenger an-” her bracelet began to beep frantically and before she could answer it Admiral Degill’s face appeared looking very grave. This sort of thing would only happen when all active Galactic Guardians had to b contacted immediately.
        “Attention all Galactic Guardians, we have an Omega Level threat, report to Headquarters immediately for further briefing.”
        “You heard him, lets get going, I’ll take the Chameleon and the Avenger back and let someone deal with them there.”
        “S-sure thing, Chief.” Sparky may not have always seemed like the brightest guardian out there but he could put two and two together. He knew what an Omega level threat meant and he recognized Earth’s coordinates, Someone had destroyed Earth.
        He looked at Betty just before she disappeared from his screen, as if searching for her confidant smirk, telling him it would be all right. He searched in vain.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment