Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Medical Teatment

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 3 - Medical Teatment

Chapter 3 - Medical Teatment
        Betty had never seen any thing like it; hundreds of Galactic cruisers covered the runways of Galactic Guardian Headquarters along with news shuttles and delegates from planets in the sector. There was so little room to land; some had simply abandoned their ships in orbit around the station. Betty radioed her crew and told them to beam aboard the base and have X-5 record the briefing, while she put The Avenger into one of the cargo hangers that had been promised
to store the previously stolen warship.
        She landed the ship and the Chameleon was taken to a much more secure cell. It took only a few seconds after exiting the hanger for the reporters to swarm. Betty, however, marched forward with such a look on her face that made those who were in her way feel they had a better chance of stopping a rocket train from taking off. Unfortunately, that didn’t stop them from trying to keep up with her.
        “Atomic Betty! Do you know what the nature of the threat is?” called out one of the reporters.
        “No, that’s why I need to get to the briefing.” She replied sternly.
        “Betty! The last two times an Omega-level threat has been issued were involving the Irkin’s Impending Dooms one and two, could this be an Impending Doom 3?”
Betty had approached the entrance and spun around to face the final question.
        “First of all, Impending Doom two is still underway, secondly the Irkin threat has recently been downgraded to a Beta-level threat. Finally, as I said before, we won’t know the nature of the treat until after the briefing.” With that, she entered the base; witch was off limits to the press.
        Inside it was only slightly better than the reporters outside, though no one was asking her questions, she was getting quite a few stares from her fellow guardians. She was used to getting stares from civilians and newer Guardians, but everyone seemed to be looking at her strangely. She was somewhat relieved when Admiral DeGill approached her.
        “Betty, I need to see you in my office, privately.” With those words she once again felt uncomfortable. Very few circumstances constituted a privet meeting with one’s commanding officer. Betty followed DeGill into his office, where it seemed much calmer than in the halls.   “Betty, I’m not going to beat around the bush, I think you know what all this is about.”
        “Yes, admiral, someone or something has attacked and destroyed the planet Earth.” It felt so strange to say that like it was just another mission, or some lesson from the academy. “And I would like to see all the data we have on this attack so we can determine possible suspects and stop them from doing this again.”
        “I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, Betty. Galactic code states that, well, you may not be in a proper state to carry out any missions, and, well, I’ll have to ask you to turn in your bracelet.”
        She was trapped, if she refused, that was grounds to arrest her on the spot, and if she handed it over she wouldn’t be able to do much to stop who or whatever was responsible. She decided that being unable to help was a little better that being incarcerated. She slipped off her bracelet and placed it on the desk, feeling naked without it. DeGill picked it up and placed it in the
vault under his desk.
        “Now, Betty, I’’m not going to pretend to understand what you’re going to be going though, but I do know that if you don’t have something to do, you won’t be able to handle it, so, while galactic code says you can’’t go on missions anymore, it doesn’t say anything about gathering information.”
        “Admeral?”
        “Yes, you see, we have very little idea what did this, but we were able to pickup two beings who we believe saw the attack, and I feel it would be best if they told their experiences to someone from their own planet.”
        “You mean-”
        “Yes, we found survivors. ”
        As soon as she was briefed on the basics, she and Degill teleported to the medical wing of the base. By the time they reached the first survivor’s room DeGill was a few feet behind, being that he had fins as opposed to feet. Standing by the door was a tall, dark-haired human, not one of the ones from Earth, of corse, Betty had learned how to tell the differences long ago.
        “This is Dr. Tam,” Degill said as Betty let him catch up, “he’s the doctor treating one on the survivors. Doctor, if you will,”
        “Thank you Admiral,” the Doctor said looking at his notes, “well, while the specimen appears human, it has some rather odd physiology, strange fluctuations in body temperature, oddities in the nerves system, and an amazing resilience to our sedative, it took six times the normal amount just to calm him down, six more doses to get him to sleep. But, then again, I’ve never operated on Earth-humans before, so it could all be normal.”
        “Did he sustain any injures?” Betty asked, wanting to know what she would see one the other side of that door.
        Dr. Tam referred to his notes “Uh... let’s see, multiple lacerations, mostly on his back, a minor concussion, and he seems to be missing an eye.”
        “Any idea how he survived?”
        “A protective energy field,” Tam signaled to one of the orderly who brought over a white hover-trolley, “projected by this.” he pulled out what looked like a spear with a point on either end.
        “I didn’t know Earth had energy field generators, especially not portable ones.” DeGill said, looking at Betty for an answer.
        “I didn’t know either.” Betty replied, equally baffled. With the spear still in her hand she entered the room. It was, for lack of a better word, a mess. Medical equipment lay all across the floor, most of it was broken. She looked at the ceiling to see many burn marks.
        “Like I said, we had some difficulty retaining him.” Tam clarified, “I suggest we put full restraints on him and-”
        “That won’t be necessary, Doctor.” she said, looking over at the bed. A short Asian boy lay there, his black hair that looked like it had once been styled with grate care, was now a mess and covered in bandages. “I think I can handle this.”
        “It’s your funeral.” Tam muttered as he activated the machine that would remove te sedative from the boy’s system. Betty simply pretended not to hear him.
        She entered the operating room and looked at the bed. A young Asian boy was lying there, looking understandably beat up.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment