Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Jail Brake!

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 5 - Jail Brake!

Chapter 5 - Jail Brake!
        After the incident with the Ghost Boy, It took about a week for things to return to semi-normalcy. Jenny’s distrust of the bases’ mechanics had intensified after she found them trying to re-draw her schematics. Jake, disappointed with his performance during the fight, started to spend more time in the training simulator. While the action had helped improve Betty’s mood a little, she was once again becoming edgy and cranky. The main reason being, however, was that Phantom was being considerably less than helpful while she was interrogating him. She decided to try and question him one last time.
        The scientists had made an energy cell that was now keyed into Phantom’s genetic signature. When they did this for other high-danger prisoners the energy usually came out in a soft, yellow glow. The frequency required to hold Phantom, however, had an eerie green glow to it. That at least made all the easier to find his cell amongst the many energy bubbles that hung from the ceilings it the brig. There was also a noticeable drop in temperature around his cell.
        “Finally coming to let me out, huh? The ol’ Chameleon’s too much for you, huh?”
        Betty let out a sigh.
“No Chameleon,” she turned towards his bubble, “Nobody’s made any demands for your release and, in fact you may have to represent yourself in court.”
“What? Why?”
“Chameleon, you impersonated an intergalactic diplomat, punched another in the face, then stole an experimental war ship. And to top it all off, you did it all on universal television. No body really wants to represent you.”
“Awwww, man.”
She left the Chameleon to sulk while she approached the green energy sphere that held the ghost boy. He was lying down in the bottom of it.
“Nice ghost shield,” he said as casually as commenting on the weather, “not great, really, but it’s not bad.”
“I told you, it’s an adaptive energy field, that--”
“Yeah, sure, whatever.”
“I’m going to ask you one more time, I know you were on Earth when it was destroyed, so just tell me what you saw. We need to find out who did this.”
“So, you want me to help you narrow it down, huh? Let’s see, then,” he put on a very thoughtful face, “I know of only four beings that would be strong enough to destroy the world. One is sleeping forever, the second one is just a filthy, lying piece of cheese, and the last two are me.”
‘There he goes again,’ Betty said to herself, ‘every time I ask him something, he goes off to Crazyvile’.
“Ya know,” he said slyly, “wouldn’t it be great if a certain someone had a certain something that could track those invaders?”
Betty could see what was going on in his head, “Are you saying you have some way to track them?”
“I have a way of finding them.”
“How?” she demanded.
“On my ship, that you so rudely stole, I have a system that’s designed to track items by their dimensional frequency, I was able to recalibrate it to find the specific frequency of a ship that was in the Earth’s orbit moments before it was destroyed.”
“So all I have to do is get on your ship and find this tracking system.”
“It’s not that easy, I locked up all the systems and you don’t know the password.”
“And you want something in return for the password, right?”
“How did you ever guess?”
“Well, sorry, but the Galactic Guardians don’t make deals with terrorists.”
“What makes you think I’m a terrorist?”
“Well, you attacked and threatened an intergalactic governmental base in an attempt to gain high power weapons. What would you call that?”
“Uhhhhhhhhhh…”
“I thought so, besides, now that I know about it I should have very little problem cracking the password.”
“Okay, fair enough. But let me ask you a question; from what I hear, you’re pretty good, the best, in fact. I understand you put most of these guys in here,” he waved an arm towards his fellow inmates. “So the question is this, what are you doing interrogating me and taking orders from a guppy when there’s some world destroying monster out there?”
“My orders are to find out who or what did that. Not to go out hunting it.”
“Sure, that’s what you say, but how do you really feel? I can answer that; you’re terrified. You’re staying here because you can’t stand to be out with that thing that destroyed earth, can you?”
She didn’t respond, and simply left the ghost in his cell. But, as much as she would like to, she couldn’t forget what the ghost had said. Was she to afraid to do any thing other that sit around this base? Why was she so mindlessly following orders? Wasn’t she Atomic Betty, the Atomic Betty? The one who defeated over one thousand Blood Monks while blindfolded and hand cuffed? The one who literally stopped Tameranian Muck-Beast just by looking at it? Now she was being freaked out by a pasty-faced kid with bad fashion sense.
By lunch time she was completely preoccupied with those questions. So preoccupied, in fact, that she didn’t even notice what Jake was talking about.
“Yo, Betty? You still with us?”
“Huh? Oh, sorry, what were you saying?”
“I was saying that maybe since we laid the smack-down on that ghost freak, DeGill will let us off this station and, ya know, maybe give us a mission, or something to do..”
“I don’t know, he might,” suddenly, in that instant, all the hopelessness inside her vanished and the wheels in her head started turning, “you know what? I think he will let us. In fact, I’m sure he will. You guys go pack, I’ll deal with DeGill.”
“You’re serious?” Jenny asked, clearly getting excited.
“Yeah, I’m sure I can convince him to let us go. I’ll meet you in hanger 12.”
She got up and left the two in their excitement. She went in the direction of DeGill’s office but as soon as she was out of sight she made a strategic detour to the holding cells. Ignoring the other inmates she went straight to Phantom. If her plan was going to work, the Phantom would be an invaluable asset. When she got to him she was surprised to find him napping in his cell.
“I thought you said you didn’t need to sleep.” she said loud enough to wake him.
“Sufferin’ spooks, what do you want?” he suddenly looked very shocked, “did I just say ‘suffering spooks’?”
Betty nodded her head.
“DARN IT!”
        “Phantom, I’m here to offer you a chance to bring justice to those who destroyed Earth.”
        “You’re doing this without Fish-face’s permission, aren’t you?”
        Betty remained silent.
        “I see, well, You got a ship?”
        “Yes, but I’ll need that tracking system you were talking about. I’ll take my ship out a ways and you bring your’s to it, it should be big enough for you to dock in it. I’ll open your cell for you.” Just as she moved over to the control panel Phantom stopped her.
        “Don’t worry about that, it a nice ghost shield, but not a great one. Besides, if this ship you’re uh, ‘using’ is as big as you say it is you’re gonna need a distraction, and I’m just the ghost to make one. Five minuets, be ready.”
        Betty left the ghost-boy to his distraction and went to the hanger. By now Jake and Jenny would have realized that they didn’t have much of any thing to pack. When she found them there, she informed the guard that they were with her and to let them in. she knew exactly what ship she was taking, it had to be big, fast, and have lots of weapons. The Avenger. Cool as a summer breeze she walked up to the behemoth ship. The base’s mechanics had already repaired the damage Betty had done in getting it back and reprogrammed it’s access codes. She punched in the galactic override code and the doors slip open. Quickly, she led her new crew into the ship and towards the bridge. Instinctively she sat herself in the captain’s chair.
        “Jake, I’m putting you in charge of weapons. The controls are pretty straight forward, but I want you to familiarize your self with them. Jenny, you’re navigation, you should be able to plug yourself in.”
        “What?” Jake complained, “she just has to plug in while I gotta ‘familiarize’? That’s wack, man.”
        “Jealous?” Jenny said.
        “Of what? The fact that I’m not a giant walking calculator?”
        “Or that you need a booster seat just to see over the dash board?”
        “I do not!” Jake marched over to his seat and sat down, only to find that Jenny was right.
        “It just . . . needs some adjusting, that’s all” he said, searching for the means of doing so.
        Meanwhile, in the holding cells, Phantom sat patiently. Suddenly he stood up.
        “If their not out there yet, it’s their own fault.” he took in a deep breath and started to scream. He yelled the most unearthly and frightening yell you’ve ever heard. Then it got worse, louder and louder. Everything began shaking from the sound and small cracks were appearing in the glowing walls of the other cells. He yelled even louder and those other walls shattered. The machines making them began to explode and burn, then the cracks appeared in the ghost’s cell. He went even louder, sweat started appearing on his forehead and the other prisoner were covering their ears in pain. Then, finally the machine gave out and his cell disappeared. He finally fell to the ground with green smoke coming off of him.
        “Woah, that took more out of me than I thought it would. I’ll have to take it easy getting out of here.” he got up and looked around. The other inmates were all staring at him.
        “Ya know, this is about the time you guys should be, oh, I don’t know, maybe, TRYING TO ESCAPE?!” with that point, the poisoners decided they would rather take their chances with the guards rather than stay in there with this crazy ghost-boy and charged the door.
        Phantom followed the crowd and by using some invisibility and a few selective possessions of particularly dull criminals he was easily able to make it to the hangers. Leaving the latest victim of his overshadowing at the door, he made his way around the ships until he came upon the Specter Speeder.
        “Hold it right there,” came a voice from behind, clearly someone who was smart enough to follow a lone escapee as opposed to trying to stop the larger crowd. Phantom turned around the find out that this genius was a shirt fishman holding a gun.
        “Oh please, you don’t even come up to my knees, and I thought we already covered the whole ‘your weapons have no effect on me’ thing.”
        “I’ll have you know, on me planet I am considered quite tall,” DeGill responded, “and his gun has been specifically calibrated to your genetic signature.”
        “You’re bluffing.”
        “Do you honestly believe that?” DeGill cocked the gun, “or do you just feel exceptionally lucky today?”
        The two stared each other down for a while. A fly buzzed by adding to the tension. Then, Phantom gave a smirk.
        “Hey, you ever had frozen fish sticks?”
        “What?”
        “You’ll see.” as he spoke, a small puff of blue smoke drifted out of his mouth and headed for DeGill.
        “What are you-uck!” DeGill was now completely frozen by the blue smoke. Phantom got in the speeder and took off. He phased through the bay doors and navigated towards a huge blip on his radar. Soon he came upon The Avenger and a grin crept on his face.
        “Nice.”
        He flew the speeder towards it and phased the whole thing into what he expected was the cargo hatch. When he got out of the speeder, however, he found something he did not expect. Jenny Jake and Betty.
        “You?” Jenny exclaimed, “what are you doing here?” She turned to Betty, “What is He doing here?”
        Without losing an ounce of tact and professionalism, Betty answered. “Phantom happens to have some way to track the invaders.”
        “Okay, first of all, my name isn’t just Phantom, it’s Da-”
        “Just a thought,”Jake intervened, “but who’s flying the ship?”
        “It’s on auto pilot. Jenny, I want you to copy Phantom’s tracking system over to our computers.”
        “All right,” Phantom said, reaching his boiling point, “this is the last time I’m going to say this; you can’t get into my programs because I’m the only one who knows the password and it’s not Phantom, it’s-”
        “Paulina Fenton?” Jenny piped in.
        “Wha-Huh?”
        “You’re password, it’s Paulina Fenton, I just cracked it.” Jenny said, poking her head out of the speeder.
        “Paulina, huh?” Jake said moving over next to Phantom. “Sounds hot, what is she? Your girlfriend? Common, playah, you can tell me.”
        It was about this time Phantom developed a small twitch in his eye.
        “Hey, Phantom, did you know you have 2,304,159 different recipes for fudge in here?” Jenny asked as the aforementioned recipes buzzed across the Speeder’s screen.
        “That’s it!” Phantom shouted, phasing his hand into the Specter Speeder. “Wake me up if anything important happens.” he pulled out a metal thermos and pointed it at his head. He took off the top and was (to the shock of all those present) sucked inside.
        After a moment of uncomfortable silence Jenny spoke up.
        “Well, I’d better go to the bridge and set up this tracking program.”
        “Oh, uh, yeah! I’ll help you, yo.” Jake agreed.
        “I’d better uh, supervise.” Betty added. Anything to get away from the ghost-freak.. The three quickly left the cargo hold and for a good while it was quiet down there. Until Phantom’s voice called out of the thermos.
        “Finally, those nut cases are gone, now, how do I get out of here?”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment