Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Tragity at the Speevak homestead

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 6 - Tragity at the Speevak homestead

Chapter 6 - Tragity at the Speevak homestead
Celestial Academy
1 Hour after Earth’s destruction.
        Sprig Speevak left the gym feeling both tired and sore. They had been plying a game of Squee ball, a game noticeably like dodge ball. The students had been allowed to pick their own teams which meant it was basically the ‘cool kids’ against the losers. Needless to say, Sprig was on the losers’ team. Also needless to say, they got clobbered, hence his current discontent and pain. But, he was staring to feel better, after all it was lunch time, as his stomach decided to remind him.
        “What was that?” said a bird in a small flying machine after Sprig’s stomach growled.
        “That was just my stomach.” he looked at the perplexed looks of his friends faces, Chuck and Dif, remembering their lack of knowledge of human biology. “It growls when I’m hungry.”
        “Really?” Dif the blob asked, “Mine just goes see-through.”
        “Uh, Dif?” the floating bird, Chuck, asked, “you’re always see-through.”
        The blob seemed shocked by this and bent over to investigate, “I guess that explains why I’m always so hungry. Whadya think’s for lunch to day?”
        “I don’t know, but I could really go for some chicke-” Sprig caught a glance of his turkey-like friend and recognized that psychotic look in his eyes, “uh, salad! Yeah, salad. Mmmm-mmm, I sure could go for a big bowl of salad right about now! Leafy green salad, yum!” To be honest, living on a farm all his life meant that he ate salad with just about every meal and had grown to detest vegetables. But at that moment he spotted something he was quite fond of, girls. Particularly he saw Anni, the girl from the anti matter universe. In the academy she carried two titles, one being the prettiest girl (for obvious reasons) and the second being the girl you don’t want to ask on a date (let’s just say the last guy who tried was luck his species could regrow limbs.)
        “I’m going in.” Sprig told his friends as they began to debate who would get his stuff if he didn’t make it out alive.
        After putting some things in her locker, Anni closed the door, shocked to see Sprig standing there.
        “S’up?” he said, or more appropriately, almost said. Before he could get the words out, Anni grabbed his shirt and slammed him painfully against a nearby door.
        “Don’t talk to me.” she said shortly before storming off. Chuck and Dif hurried towards him, somewhat shocked to see him in one piece. Sprig, however tried to look unfazed and leaned cooly against the door.
        “Sure she said ‘Don’t talk to me’,” Sprig informed his friends, “but what she really meant was-woah!” the door Sprig had been leaning against suddenly opened, leaving the human at the mercy of the school’s artificial gravity. Lying on the ground, it was easy for him to see who exactly had opened the door, none other than Princess Galaxandra, the headmistress of the Celestial Academy.
        “Ah, Sprig,” she said, only slightly surprised to find him on the ground, “I was just looking for you. May we speak in my office, privately?”
        “Uh, yeah, sure.” Sprig go to his feet and followed Galaxandra to her office. Once inside, she offered sprig a seat before taking her’s behind her desk. It took mere seconds for Sprig to realize two possibly dangerous fact about that room. First, standing to the left of Galaxandra in the corner was Sprig’s Gym teacher and personal trainer, Pam Dromeda, second was the look of worry on Galaxandra’s face.
        “So, uh, what’d you want to see me about?”
        “I’m afraid, Sprig, that a . . . situation has arisen. You see, well-” her slender face looked even more worried as she searched for the words. “Perhaps you should see for your self.” she pressed a button on her desk. A screen on the wall flickered on to show a woman who Sprig had come to recognized as the Grand Councilwoman of the Galactic Alliance. She was apparently giving a news conference.
        “First of all, thank you all for coming here on such short notice,” she began, “I truly wish the circumstances were not so dire. I regret to inform both members of the press and the galaxy at large that earlier today a small, primitive planet called Earth was attacked and destroyed by a currently unknown force.”
        Sprig’s heart skipped a beat. Did she just say what he thought she said?
        “We ask that you all remain calm. As we speak, the Galactic Guardians are hot on the trail of whatever did this so that we may stop it before it has a chance to attack another innocent planet. We greatly morn the loss of Earth and it’s people, and we regret never officially making contact.” there was a strange emphasis of the word ‘officially’, but Sprig couldn’t think straight enough to notice. Earth? Destroyed? Couldn’t be. Could it? These and a thousand more questions ran though his head as the press conference continued. He had stopped listening by now.
        “Sprig?” Galaxandra snapped him out of it, turning off the screen.
        “No, no, this-this can’t be happening.”
        “Unfortunately it is.” Galaxandra stretched out a comforting hand. Sprig suddenly leapt to his feet.
        “No, I don’t believe you!” he bolted out the door. Pam Dromeda was about to follow when Galaxandra stopped her.
        “But, Ma’am, what if he does something stupid or got hurt or-”
        “Why Pam, I didn’t know you cared so much.” it was true that ever since Pam had been put in charge of training Sprig to use the Nebula battle suit he had grown on her a bit, not that she’d ever admit it though.
        "We have to at least know where he's going."
        "Where do you think he's going?"
        "I don't know, probably his planet to see if it's all true. But he'd need a shuttle or the Nebula- MY SUIT!!!" like him or not, Pam still hated it when Sprig used her Nebula suit. Especially when he did so without her permission.
        "We gotta go get him!"
        "I agree, but send a team of cadets, his friends. He'll be angry and confused, he may attack. But his friends may be able to talk some sense into him."

        Meanwhile, Sprig had already taken the Nebula suit and was on his way. Cursing himself for not paying attention in his alien civilizations class, he was trying to think of who would do something like this. Ever since he had come to the academy, he had only heard of his home as being described it two ways; primitive and harmless. Who would even have a reason for doing something like this?
        "It can't be true," he thought, "It just can't be."
        About then he entered the solar system. Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars- his stomach dropped. Sitting right where Earth should have been was a huge mass of loose debris, still vaguely in the shape of a planet.
        "I-it can't be, it has to be an illusion-a hologram. It's happened before, right?"
        He strained to remember his Galactic History class. Something like that had happened, wasn't a Green Lantern involved somehow? In any case, he'd have to get a closer look.
        He flew into the asteroid field, looking for some sort of proof that this wasn't really Earth. Coming almost straight for him, an asteroid, flat on one side. The flat end was a soft, yellow color that reminded Sprig that it would be harvest time soon. He would have to get out of school to help his dad with the crops.
        Like a brick wall it hit him, the yellow stuff on the asteroid was the crops. He flew over to the rock and landed on the flat end, the rock still had enough gravity to hold him to it. Right at the far end, sticking up like a grave stone was all the proof Sprig needed to know the truth; a mail box bearing the word 'Speevak' printed in simple white letters. With burning austerity he knew, this was no illusion, this was real.
        He sat down, trying to make sense of things. So lost in his thoughts he was he didn't even notice the Celestial Academy cruiser approaching.
        On board the cruiser was Anni in the pilot's seat, Dif was co-piloting, and Chuck maned the scanners.
        "Did you find him yet?" Anni impatiently asked Chuck.
        "Keep your shorts on, this ain't as easy as rocket science, ya know. Besides, since when do you care?"
        "I just want to get back, okay? I've got a test tomorrow." Truth be told, she did have a test the next day, but it was the least of her worries. She was worried about Sprig, or Crash Nebula, as he insisted people called him.
        'He would make a good Space Ranger or Galactic Guardian some day.' she thought, 'He's persistent, hard-working, courageous, brave, nice, kind of funny, hansom, with his boyish good looks and quirky little smile and- NO!' she shook the thoughts out of her head. 'He's matter, you're anti-matter, not exactly the best combination.'
        "Hey! I found him!" Chuck suddenly announced, "starboard, about 28.5 parsecs away."
        "Al right, let's go get him." Anni said, sounding slightly excited.
        "So you can study for that test, right?" Dif asked suspiciously.
        "So I can study for that test." she repeated.
        Meanwhile, Sprig was still lost in his thoughts.
        "This is all my fault," he said to himself, "I'm supposed to be a hero, but all I do is goof off. If I had just, ugh!" he slammed a fist on the ground in frustration. Suddenly he stood up, tall and noble.
        "No more goofing off," he vowed, placing one hand on the mailbox, "I swear, I will do whatever it takes to find who ever did this, and I will make them regret it."
        Just as Sprig was programming a course back to the academy he caught sight of the cruiser approaching. Already havening deduced it's purpose, he flew his way to the airlock. the moment he walked into the control room everyone could tell something was wrong. Everyone, that is, except Dif.
        "Sprig! We were so worried!" The blob threw himself on Sprig's knees in what could be called a hug.
        "I'm fine." he muttered. "Let's just go home."
        "No, you're not fine." Anni said forcefully.
        "Of course I am."
        "Uh, guys?" Chuck called out, looking up from his monitors.
        "Oh, yeah, your entire planet blows up and you're just fine with that?" Anni asked, ignoring Chuck.
        "Guys?" Chuck tried again to get their attention.
        "What makes you think I'm fine with that? Besides, what do you care?" Sprig was raising his voice and, like Anni, ignoring Chuck.
        Anni tried to formulate response "Well, I-I uh-"
        "HEY! GUYS! LISTEN UP!!!" this time all eyes focused directly on Chuck, "Thank you." Chuck said once he had everyone's attention, "I'm picking up another life reading out there. It's faint and getting fainter."
        "How far?" Sprig asked in a very demanding tone.
        "About 14 parsecs ahead."
        "Diff, Anni, set a course."
        Within moments, they had arrived at their destination. Sprig, Anni, and Chuck were outside searching manually.
        "It's probably just an asteroid squatter, you know?" Anni said over the com links as she pushed away a drifting street sign.
        "This was a planet only a few hours ago. That's nowhere near enough time for a squatter to settle down." Chuck answered, "Besides, the signal was too faint to be something like that. If you ask me it's either a really big bug or something dying."
        "Chuck!" Anni hissed, knowing Sprig could hear everything they said.
        "Guys," Sprig suddenly announced, "I found her."
        "Her?" Anni said with a hint of both shock and jealousy in her voice.
        "Yeah," Sprig looked at the girl lying unconscious on what must have once been a street. She was Asian, about his age with long black hair that had a red stripe coming from her forehead. The most peculiar thing about her, however, was the fact that she was wearing some sort of armor. Parts of which looked to have been ripped off. Sprig made a quick scan with his suit. Apparently, the rock she was on was giving off some sort of force field that kept her from suffocating, but the air was running out quickly.
        "Dif, bring the ship around, we don't have much time."
        He reached down to his belt to pull out an oxygen mask and put it to thee girl's mouth.
        "Just hold on, " he pleaded, "hold on."

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment