Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Mr Phantom's Travel Plans

Someone destroyed the Earth,
Someone destroyed their lives,
Someone's gonna pay.
Someone had better be watching their Back.

Chapter 8 - Mr Phantom's Travel Plans

Chapter 8 - Mr Phantom's Travel Plans
CHAPTER EIGHT
        Betty stared at the map that showed where their ship had been. She leaned back in her chair and gawked at the oddity. So far, Phantom's tracking system had them bouncing around the galaxy seemingly at random. Sighing, she shook her head, she would have to have Phantom take a look at it. Despite his appearance, he was actually rather smart. Tugging at her gloves, she made her way to the door.
        "We're running low on supplies." she thought to her self. "I'll have to check with the crew." The door opened in front of her and she began walking towards the bridge. Jenny and Jake were there, keeping an eye on things. She would check with them for any changes in the tracking system, then have them help her find a good place to dock and re-supply. For a moment she considered having Phantom help with that but then she decided that, smart or not, Phantom was crazy.
        As she made her way to the front of the ship, she became aware of a dull, almost inaudible clanging. Turning a corner, she saw the cause. Or rather, she saw half the cause. A pair of white boots and black spandex pants sticking out of the wall. Betty sighed.
        "Phantom, what are you doing?"
        Without bothering to phase out of the wall, Phantom answered, "I'm upgrading the security system."
        "Phantom, this is a state-of-the-art spacecraft, why does the security system need an upgrade?"
        Phantom pulled himself out of the wall to face Betty. "It won't protect us against ghosts."
        "Okay," Betty agreed, hoping he wouldn't mess up the system too much, "I'm going to need you to take a look at that tracking program again."
        "There's nothing wrong with the program."
        "Still, I'd like to be sure, so-where did you get that?" Betty saw a mesh of wires and circuitry in his hand.
        Phantom looked at the wires in his hand for a moment, "Specter Deflector."
        "What?"
        "I'm using it to make a ghost shield for the ship."
        Betty shook her head, "Just don't blow up my ship."
        "Your ship?" Phantom asked, "And here I was thinking you stole this ship. And on that note, why haven't you told the others that we're now on the galaxy's most wanted list?"
        Betty glared at Phantom. If she could she would have had him court marshaled. "At this time it would be best for them to believe that they are still helping out with an official investigation. Why? Did you suddenly grow a conscience?" she said, remembering that this was the being nearly took out a base full of galactic soldiers without remorse.
        "A conscience?" Phantom looked at the circuits in his hand, "No, not any more."
        She would have asked him what he meant by 'any more' but he phased his way back into the wall before she could. Seeing no reason for staying she continued her way to the bridge.
        Meanwhile, Jenny and Jake were on the bridge watching the trail left by the ship they were following. At that moment the ship was once again moving erratically.
        "Wow," Jenny exclaimed.
        "Wish nothin', I can fly like that." Jake boasted.
        "Then why don't you?"
        "Well, uh, I would, 'cept, uh, this place is just to small, ya know?"
        Jenny almost delivered a scathing rebuttal but just as she opened her mouth the doors swished open. Betty marched in and leaned over the holo-map.
        "Has there been any change?"
        "By that," the dragon started, "do you mean 'has it stopped acting like a psycho pixie on caffeine'?"
        "I suppose, though I wouldn't put it so, uh, poetically."
        "Then I guess there hasn't been a change," Jenny chimed in, "but I've never seen a pixie." She added, giving Jake a skeptical look.
        "Hey, it ain't my fault you never paid attention." muttered the dragon.
        "We're running low on supplies." the former Galactic Guardian interrupted. "We'll need to find a place to dock." She pulled up an image of the surrounding star systems on the holo-map. "Any place look good?"
        "How about there?" Jake pointed to a small bone-shaped object on the map, reading the name. "The Satellite of Love."
        "It's a great spot," Betty commented, "if you don't mind having your brain slowly turned to jelly by the most unethical and cruel experiments in the galaxy."
        "Why did they name it The Satellite of Love?" Jenny dared to asked.
        "How else are they going to get people to go there?"
        "Good point. This looks like a popular spot," the android pointed out a large orb in the map. "It says 'over seven hundred trillion served'"
        Betty thought for a moment, "Foodcourtia? Hmmm, I don't know, it's getting awful close to the Foodening."
        "The what?"
        "The Foodening. Every so often a race called the Irkins have an uncontrollable urge to gorge themselves on empty calories and trans-fats. Foodcourtia is where they go to do that."
        "So what? We wait in a few lines. What's the big deal?"
        "The 'big deal' is that an entire alien civilization will be converging on the planet. Their ships alone increase the mass of the planet so much that time itself gets wrapped around the it. We could wind up arriving a week before the universe began or leaving fifty years after your last hair cut."
        "Oh." Jenny replied sheepishly.
        "I hate time travel." Came a chilling voice from above their heads. For a brief moment the three panicked, until they realized that it was only Phantom floating in the air.
        "Phantom, please don't do that." Betty commanded.
        "Yeah, an' next time, how about using the door?" Jake snarled.
        "If you do that then we would stand a ghost of a chance in knowing where you disappeared of to!" Jenny began to laugh loudly.
        "Aww, man." Jake said painfully.
        "That was just-" Betty shook her head, at a loss for words.
        Phantom stared at the giggling robot for a moment then, "Oh great, Ghost puns! You'd think those would be old by now."
        "Nevertheless," Betty said, "we still need to find some place to dock."
        Phantom floated down and began pushing buttons on the control panel, bringing up the invader's trail over the map. He pointed to a spot where the path intercepted a planet.
        "That's where they stopped last. If we go there we probably could find out where they were planning on going."
        For a moment Betty stared in awe. 'I must be slipping,' she told herself. Shaking that thought out of her head, she looked at the planet Phantom had suggested.
        "Hannas-Barrbados? It's out of the way, has no official ties with any galactic powers; good, evil, or otherwise, and" she hated to admit it "the perfect spot for our mission. Jenny set a course, but keep in mind," she looked straight at her crew to make sure she had their attention, "a lot of crazy stuff happens on Hannas-Barrbados, so you'll all have to keep on your guard"
        A cocky grin crept on Jake's face, "Hey, chill, there ain't anything that can take on the Am Drag!"
---->COTB<----
        Little did Jake know, there was something that could take him on, and as luck would have it that something was on Hannas-Barrbados, was extremely angry, and called itself Juniper Lee.
        "Come on!" she shouted at the turtle-like alien standing before her, "Ya wanna get nuts? THEN LET'S GET NUTS!"
        The shelled creature cried out and charged at her. She pulled back one of her deceptively powerful fists and slammed it into the monster's stomach. The huge thing skidded backwards. It looked slightly shocked at her strength but started lumbering towards her again. That is, until it became aware off a small cracking noise. The next moment it's thick shell broke to pieces, revealing the monster beneath. It was naked save for a pair of boxers covered in rainbows and colorful monkeys. The beast screamed in embarrassment and ran off.
        June turned over to a very small, mustached creature who had been observing the entire thing.
        "So Mr. Spacely," June said still not believing some of the names people had around here, "Do I get the job?"
        "Yes, of course!" Spacely said in a gruff voice, "with you taking care of all the riff-raff around here I could finally set up a proper business!"
        June grinned, 'Maybe this won't Be so bad after all.'

Meanwhile...
        Sparky couldn't believe what he was hearing, Betty? Gone rouge?
        "That's impossible!" he cried out to DeGill.
        "I'm afraid it is, it happened a while after you left the base. She and that Phantom fellow stole a ship and left with the other survivors."
        "That long ago? But why haven't we told anyone?"
        "Please understand, with all that's been going on we don't need the galaxy knowing that one of our prized Galactic Guardians has stolen a dangerous war ship and is running around the universe with a grudge. The reason I'll telling you this now is because some of our scouts claim to have spotted her ship. I want you to find her and try to bring her back."
        "Alright," Sparky got to his feet, "Just give me the coordinates and I'll bring her back." he made his way to the door but was stopped by DeGill.
        "Before you go, I have an addition to add yo your team. He's fresh out of the academy but he's good, he has high recommendations. His name is Sprig Speevack, codename: Crash Nebula. He could come in handy."
        "Crash Nebula, huh?" Sparky said. "Let's just hope he's a match for Atomic Betty."

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment