Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1

This is a story of a lonely unicorn who finally meets a girl who knows what she is...

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1


Destitute: extremely poor

Itinerate: to travel up and down a country, esp. in a regular circuit

Thoroughfare: A public highway, road, or street

Befriend: To be a friend to someone



Once upon a time there was an unhappy goat. The goat was the color of sea foam, and on her head was a single white horn. In fact, she was not a goat at all. She was a unicorn. There are several descriptions of unicorns, and the most true one is that a unicorn is basically a one-horned goat, though much more beautiful.


On this bright morning, the unicorn was very melancholy because she had found out a terrible truth. The world did no longer believe in unicorns, and if a man or beast saw one, they would think that it was merely a one-horned goat. There had never been a time without unicorns, yet somehow they were forgotten.

So, the unicorn decided to go on a journey. She would itinerate Ireland (for that is where she lived) until she could find one man or beast, that would know what she was. Her travels went on for weeks, until she thought that all hope was lost. However, one day she came across a destitute little human town near the mountains.

The unicorn had taken many thoroughfares to get there, in hopes of finding someone to befriend. That someone would have to believe in unicorns in order to see her horn, or else be very wise. Of course, being a unicorn, she could speak all tongues, and could quickly make friends with someone who knew what she was.

Walking through the town, she used only alleys and dark places to make her way to a small park. There were children there, playing on various toys and running all around. Of all humans, children were the most favored by unicorns. Children often believed in unicorns and fairies, and all the other beings that no one else thought to be real. Another reason why they were favored, was because of their innocence. They were virgins, and to young to cut down the trees in the forests. Unicorns protected the forests, and still do today, so they dislike the forests' destructors.

Careful not to be seen, she trotted over to a nearby tree and lay down in its cool shade. It was about midday, and the sun was high in the sky, shining on everything beneath its bright rays. There she stayed and watched the children. Their clothes looked dirty and ill-fitting. The children themselves looked half starved. The unicorn pitied them.

Then, not two hours later, a girl, about 14 years old, came up to the unicorn under the tree. Instead of reaching down to pet her, as if she were an ordinary goat, the girl bowed and kissed the unicorn's horn.

“At last,” she said to the unicorn. “I have found you. For years, I have been searching, and when at last I gave up, I still kept an eye open at all times to find a unicorn. My name is Emma, and I wish only to become your friend.”

“Blessed are you,” said the unicorn, speaking for the first time in many months, “for you have believed without seeing.”

And so, it came to be that the two became very good friends. Although years passed and the girl moved to another city that was far away, the unicorn still visited her every spring, when her forest could be left unattended for a while. Spring was usually not the time of year when hunters came.

Then one day, the girl died. The unicorn, being immortal, was still alive and well, and was saddened by her friend's death. At the funeral, there were many of the girl's friends and family. Behind the crowd, unseen by all, stood the unicorn. The funeral ended, and the unicorn was soon the only one at the gloomy cemetery. There she stayed for quite some time, until she walked up to the grave stone. Lowering her head, she touched the ground beneath her feet with her horn. And somehow, without a reason for believing it to be true, the unicorn knew that the girl was up in heaven, looking down and forever watching all the unicorns of the world. They would be separated until the end of the world, but the unicorn knew that at that time they would get to spend the rest of eternity together.


Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

carmen002 on March 19, 2006, 12:01:57 PM

carmen002 on
carmen002that is so sad that it's beautiful(crying)waaahhhhh!