Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Fox and the Wolf

first in a series of short stories ive been writing that focus on the feelings of several animals in a humanlike way.

Chapter 1 - Fox and the Wolf

Chapter 1 - Fox and the Wolf
The Fox and the Wolf
The heart within her beat swiftly as her paws fled the ground. Beside her a shadow appeared. Her hope rose up, quickening her pace. Trees flew by; her mind was racing, eyes searching desperately for the one alongside whom she so often had run in the past. Was he here? Had he come? But how was he to know she had returned? Would she see him before once again she had to leave?
There, in the bushes, something stirred. The pack from which she had been outcast! And there, among them, a flash of silver-grey, the twin orange stripes she had come to know so well. His head hung low, pace more dogged, slow, and dejected than the last time they had met.
A whimper of hopeful longing escaped her throat as she half pranced forward eagerly. Had he seen her? The others ignored her as she stepped forward-she was an outcast.
Then his eyes rose and met hers. Her paws quivered. His eyes brightened, pace quickened. The others seemed to disappear as he came nearer, she only saw him. He was surprised to see her, but pleased she could tell. With a yelp he was at her side, their heads resting on each others backs in a fond embrace. She stepped back and gazed at him, eyes silently pleading her desperate desire that they could stay together.
Yet as quickly as it had begun, there time together was soon over. The pack was nearly out of sight, and he had to run swiftly to catch them.
Her eyes watered as she watched him vanish, then she turned, and sadly fled back to the dark solitude from whence she had come.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment