Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Ascension of Change

When sweet young Matthew Bonnefoy is suddenly a terminal cancer patient, he doesn't expect anyone to notice or care. But sometimes, love comes from unexpected places. (Hetalia AU, Human names used, PruCan, FACE Family.)

Chapter 5 - Ascension of Change

Chapter 5 - Ascension of Change
CHAPTER FIVE: Ascension of Change

*****

Alfred was not looking forward to going back to school.

He gathered his supplies at a delayed pace, trying to stall the process as much as possible before his parents realized what he was doing.

A full week had passed since Matthew's hospitalization, and Alfred had spent as much of that week as possible at his brother's bedside. He would come in as early as they would let him, and would only leave if they found him after visiting hours and kicked him out. And Arthur and Francis allowed this, because they knew how distraught the whole thing had made both of their sons.

But they also knew that Alfred had to keep up with his education, lest he wanted his grades to crash and burn. And if he wanted to graduate, he couldn't allow that to happen.

So, at a familiar yet ungodly hour on a rainy Monday morning, he was packing his bookbag... at least that's what Arthur and Francis were led to believe. However, if they had bothered to check on him, they would find him hiding in the bathroom.

He did not want to go back to school.

Eventually, as the minutes ticked by, Arthur got the hint, and went upstairs to investigate.

He did, indeed, find his son in the bathroom, brushing his teeth for what was perhaps the tenth time in an effort to stall.

"Alfred, you're going to be late," he prompted from the doorway.

The teen looked up, face smeared with toothpaste. He didn't say anything, but Arthur didn't need him to.

"Yes, you have to go to school. Now, finish up and get your bag packed." His tone left no room for argument.

Alfred let a small groan escape, but he spit out the toothpaste and returned to his room, hastily wiping his face off with his sleeve on the way.

Ten minutes later, he was walking out the door and down the driveway, where his bus was just pulling up. After climbing on and sliding into his seat, he felt the large yellow vehicle lurch into motion again.As the bus pulled away from his house, he looked at the empty space on the seat next to him and heaved a sigh.

There was no way he'd be able to focus today.

***

Gilbert stifled another yawn as he thoughtlessly scribbled down the countless formulas from the chalkboard in front of him. He blinked a few times, trying to keep alert, but with nothing to focus on (save the teacher's monotone voice), he was having quite the difficult time staying awake.

He glanced at the clock yet again, cursing time for moving so slowly. He wanted nothing more than to be out of the stuffy classroom. But with the way the clock's hands were crawling, he wouldn't be escaping for quite a while.

He was starting to doze off again when the bell had the mercy to ring, which snapped him out of his daze and sent him flying out of the classroom like he had a rocket up his butt.

He was moving so fast that his jet powered hind end sent him barreling straight into another person.

An object at rest tends to stay at rest, while an object in motion tends to stay in motion... unless acted upon by an outside force.

fracking brilliant, Newton.

Gilbert sent the kid bowling over, and unintentionally followed him down, hitting the floor along with the him, and all of their textbooks.

Moaning, Gilbert began to gather up the remains of his poor, shattered ego when the boy snapped, "Jeez, man, can you watch where you're going?"

The albino paused. "Alfred... Kirkland?"

The blonde sat up, brushing his shirt off. "The one and only," he muttered. He didn't look at Gilbert; instead, he glanced at the floor to assess the damage done to his belongings. After a moment, he growled, "What, don't even have the decency to apologize?"

Slightly put off, Gilbert mumbled an apology as he gathered up his books. He stood and Alfred followed him up a second later.After standing in awkward silence for a short eternity, Alfred's blue eyes narrowed. "Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"Your brother. Is he okay?"

Alfred blinked as if Gilbert had hit him between the eyes with a small rock. "Excuse me?"

"Your brother... Matthew? Is he okay?"

"And why the hell does my brother's wellbeing concern you?"

Gilbert held up a hand in defense as Alfred's angry gaze bored into his like he was trying to burn holes there. "Don't get all hostile on me."

"Answer the question, then."

"I was there when... it happened," Gilbert said cautiously, not sure if he wanted to tell the fuming blonde before him that he'd had his mouth on Matthew's, even if it was to save his life.

Alfred gave a huff of annoyance before saying, "He's in the hospital. That's all I'm willing to say. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Without waiting for a response, he shoved past Gilbert and stormed back down the hallway.

***

The rest of the day was more or less a blur, and before long, Gilbert was on his way home.

He never took the bus, since seniors with licenses were allowed to drive themselves to and from school. He always drove his "Awesome Prussian blue car."

As he guided the car down the familiar route home, his thoughts drifted back to the conversation he'd had with Alfred.

So Alfred's brother had been hospitalized? That obviously meant that the whole episode in the gym hadn't been caused by some once-off faintness, or some shoot. It was serious.

And Alfred was clearly no closer to telling him what was really going on than he was to being a millionaire.

Gilbert considered his options, made a split second decision, and changed destinations.

***

"Can you tell me what room Matthew Bonnefoy is in?"

The woman behind the desk looked up as he spoke. She seemed to give him a once-over before nodding slightly and typing something into the computer.

"He's on the second floor," she said after a short moment. "Room 213." Looking back up at Gilbert, she inquired, "Family?"

"Um... friend," he replied.

The woman gave another nod, indicating an elevator nearby. After an awkward, muttered, "Thanks," Gilbert walked quickly to the elevator, which opened upon his pressing the button. He slipped inside, punched the round button that said "2," and felt the metal contraption begin its ascent.

As the elevator slowly crawled upwards, Gilbert realized, perhaps a bit too late, that he had no idea what to say to the kid. When he'd decided to come, he had planned on asking what exactly was going on... but now that he considered it, who the hell would march into a hospital room demanding to know what was wrong with the person?

He almost didn't get out of the elevator.

Almost.

Little did he know, making the decision to step out onto the second floor, and not turn back around and go home, would change his life forever.

He located room 213 fairly easily. The door was open a crack.

Before he could change his mind, he opened it the rest of the way.

There was Matthew; he was leaned back against the pillows, eyes closed, as though sleeping. Gilbert almost turned around and left, when the blonde stirred.

Violet eyes cracked open, taking in their surroundings before landing on Gilbert and widening in surprise. Matthew sat up, looking slightly wary as Gilbert stepped inside the room.

"Matthew, right?" Gilbert asked.

The curly haired boy nodded. "Y-yes..." He paused, blinked, and spoke again. "I recognize you... you're... you're Gilbert, right...? You... you go to my school..."

"That's right, kid," Gilbert said, stepping closer to the bed. "Gilbert Beilschmidt." He gave Matthew a sideways grin. "And I'm here because I saved your life."

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment