Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 18 - The Promise

Spyro meets a powerful young Dragoness, called Cyra, who has a prophecy foretold about her being linked to the Dragon Gods themselves and the evil Raku wants to seduce her and turn her to Darkness to take the universe under his rule...

Chapter 18 - The Promise

Chapter 18 - The Promise
Chapter Eighteen: The Promise[/u]

Raku was finally gone for good. Still suspended in the air and with the force of gravity acting on him, Spyro then started falling towards the ground. Spyro, however, managed to save himself as he caught the air with his wings and glided down beside Cyra, who was sitting, panting with exhaustion on the ground.
As the scene unravelled before their very eyes, the crowd of spectators burst with cheering.

“Oh! My God! They did it! Raku’s finally gone for good! Hee! Hee! Hee!” screamed a female dragon who then kissed another male Dragon.

“MhHH! Freya! What the heck?!” spluttered the Dragon. Spyro then walked up to Cyra, she then weakly looked up into Spyro’s eyes and a beaming grin crept up on her face and she then hugged him.

“Oh! Spyro...you did it!” she cheered with a laugh of joy

“No. We did it.” Spyro replied. She and Spyro then shared a warm smile and they embraced.

“Oh. Spyro... I love you so much.” Cyra said

“I love you too.” Spyro replied. Spyro and Cyra then came out of the hug and looked deep into each other’s eyes. As Spyro stroked Cyra’s cheek gently with his claw, they shared a warm smile and they then bent forwards and shared a long, passionate kiss. Spyro and Cyra then stood up, Cyra, however, limped badly on her left leg as her shoulder wound still stung away.

“Ach! Ma leg’s still...” Cyra winced under her sore leg

“Here, let me help.” Spyro replied. Spyro then came up to Cyra’s left side and let Cyra use his shoulder as a support.

“Thanks” Cyra replied with a smile. As Spyro and Cyra shared a warm smile, something then caught her eye. Cyra noticed that the sword still hung suspended in the air and that started to glow as a blue aura wrapped around it. Then the four elemental darkness orbs started to fly out of the hollows on its cross-bar, one by one. The Darkness orbs then suddenly stopped suspended in the air and started to float down towards Cyra as the sword fell to the ground.
“The Darkness orbs...” Cyra said when the darkness orbs were more or less floating in front of Cyra. Cyra then raised her paw slightly and four, small beams of energy shot out her index and the orbs shattered into many little purple shards. “Now he can never come back.”

Spyro and Cyra then looked back at each other and shared another kiss and walked (Or hobbled, rather) across to the cheering crowd of Dragons singing, dancing and making a joyful, well-organised racket.

“Spyro! Cyra!” Yelled a Peace Keeper Dragon from the crowd, it was Trondo again, “Oh! My God (No pun intended)! That was so flippin’ awesome! Man! That was like so cool how you did that big huge beamy thingy and then you like did that swordy thing! I mean...Aaaaaaaah!! I think my brain’s gonna pop!!” Trondo cheered

“I think his brain all ready has popped...” Spyro muttered in Cyra’s ear. Cyra then snorted with laughter

“Aye an’ the rest...” Cyra added and both Spyro and Cyra then burst out laughing. As Spyro and Cyra laughed and chatted with the other Dragon’s, something then happened. As Cyra was talking to another Artisan, the cheering and excitable chatter then began quieten and become more muffled and an airy, male voice then called in her head.

“Cyra...Goddess of Alafrenor...the gate of light awaits...” called the voice

“What?” Cyra questioned the voice but the voice didn’t answer and the chatter and cheerful atmosphere came back to the normal volume, “Gate of light...?” Cyra questioned herself, then it hit her “Zeikora’s Seal!” Cyra yelled. Cyra then limped away from Spyro slightly but here leg prevented her from going very far, Spyro then saw this and supported her again.

“Hey Cyra, what’s up?” Spyro asked

“Spyro, I need you to take me over there” Cyra said as she pointed in the direction of an open area of sand.

“Ok...why?” Spyro asked

“You’ll see...” Cyra replied

Spyro and Cyra then walked over to the open area Cyra pointed out, it was then that Cyra felt a hard surface underneath the dry sand.
“Spyro, you feel that?” Cyra asked

“Yeah...it’s like there’s something underneath...what is it?” Spyro asked

“You’ll see...stand back.” Cyra told Spyro. Spyro then did what he was told and stepped back a couple of feet

“Reveal to me the Seal of grandest deity and creator of these worlds, Zeikora!” Cyra yelled and as soon as she did so, the sand then began to move. A large, disk-shaped, marble structure then slowly poked through the sand and when the marble structure stopped moving, everyone just looked at Cyra in both awe and confusion.

“Cyra...what in the...?!” Spyro started, both confused and awed

“This...is Zeikora’s Seal.” Cyra answered Spyro’s expression

“You mean that’s the gate thing that takes you to Alafrenor?” Spyro asked.

“Yes...” Cyra said, and as she moved towards the Seal, her left leg began to play up again, “Damn leg...” Cyra winced.

“Here...” Spyro said as he supported her again.

“Thanks, now I need to in the middle of the seal...” Cyra replied

“Ok” Spyro replied back. Spyro and Cyra then walked over, stepped onto the seal and then walked over to a large dragon, carved onto the marble.

“Open Alafrenor, the gate of light unto me!” Cyra spoke in a very clear voice and as so as she spoke, the runes on the circular marble floor around then started to glow. Rays of white light then suddenly shot up from the many runes, etched on the seal around them. The light’s rays then wrapped around them and blocked everything from view. As the light intensified, so that they had to shield their eyes, the gasps and chatter from the crowd of Dragon’s began to disappear and now the only thing they could hear was their breathing and the shimmering of the mystical light around them. Then after what seemed like an eternity, the light around them began to dim. The light around them then began to unwind and split into separate rays of light and finally the light had fully dimmed.

“Spyro...” Cyra said limping with Spyro off the seal, “Welcome to Alafrenor.” Cyra added and what Spyro saw next just made him gasp with sheer awe...

All around them was a wide open area with walls of towering, white, puffy clouds and five large, pure-white, marble castles with elegant architecture; four on a distant island and one exceptionally large one on an island just behind them, all linked to the main island that Spyro and Cyra were on by five elegant, beautifully-crafted bridges . In front of them was a large, spacious, pool of crystal-clear, blue water, which reflected the beautiful, orange, setting sky. The whole area seemed to have a mystical, white, misty aura around it, which added to its beauty. No words could express what Spyro just saw.

“So, Spyro. What do you think?” Cyra asked, grinning at his stunned silence as he just stood there with his jaw ajar, trying to take everything in.

“Cyra...” Spyro started, “T-this...this is...this is just incredible!” Spyro stammered as he was just overwhelmed by everything around him. As Spyro stared at his surroundings in awe, three large shadows then befell upon them and as they looked behind them, they saw three large Dragons standing behind them. One had red scales, gold markings around his amber eyes, face and body; one had yellow scales with blue marking around his brown eyes, face and body and one Dragoness had green scales with lighter green marking around her hazel eyes, face and body.

“Cyra, welcome to Alafrenor. I see you have bared my wife’s light essence well and that you have also brought a companion with you?” spoke the red Dragon

“Yes, this is Spyro, descendant of Goddess Zephra. Spyro, this is God Fyrenz, God Electrador and Goddess Terranna.” Cyra replied

“Ah! Greetings, young Spyro.” Greeted God Fyrenz

“Oh! Um...pleased to meet you.” Spyro replied, who was in complete awe.

‘This is just crazy! Two months ago, I was just chasing sheep about the place and now I’m in Alafrenor, talking to the Dragon Gods!!!’ Spyro thought to himself

“Cyra...mind if I go and faint?” Spyro said and Cyra just laughed. Then as they shared a smile another shadow befell upon then, they then turned to see who it was and saw another red, younger-looking Dragon with Golden markings around his light-blue eyes (Which were exactly like Cyra’s), face and body.

“Ah! Rekuma. You got here just in time. I think Cyra and her companion may need your assistance on those wounds of theirs.” Fyrenz spoke to the Dragon

“Right away, Father!” Rekuma replied. Rekuma then walked over and sat down in front of Spyro and Cyra, he then placed his left paw over Cyra and his right paw over Spyro. As soon as he did this, he then closed his eyes and began to concentrate and white energy began to flow from his body, down his arms and out his paws to Spyro and Cyra. Immediately, the white energy wrapped around then and their wounds began to slowly close up and Cyra began to fill up with rejuvenating, warm energy. Then soon after, energy stopped flowing from Rekuma and he took his paws away from Spyro and Cyra and feeling renewed, they stood up, feeling the warm energy flow through their bodies.

“Wow! Thanks!” Spyro said as he walked around feeling his rejuvenated body

“You’re welcome and Cyra, I’m afraid I was unable to recover some of your lost energy...my apologies.” Rekuma replied

“Oh. That’s ok. No need to worry about it.” Cyra replied; Rekuma, however, looked slightly unsure...

As Spyro stretched his rejuvenated bones, he then felt a presence and then two shadows befell upon him from behind.

“Spyro...?” a male voice called from behind. Spyro then turned around and he then gasped as he saw a large, bipedal, male Dragon, purple in colour with a dark purple crest and brown eyes.

“D-Dad...?” Spyro gasped as he just could not believe what he was seeing, as his long dead Father was just standing there, right before his very eyes.

“Sarek, what’s wrong, dear?” asked a female, quadruped Dragoness, with light blue scales, yellow crest and navy blue eyes, who came up behind his Father and when she saw Spyro she clasped he paws to her mouth with a gasp of surprise “Spyro...!” she gasped

“Mum...? Dad...?” Spyro said, as he started to realise just how much he missed them. Tears then started to fill up in his eyes and his breathing started shudder. As his emotions finally got the better of him, with not seeing his parents for ten whole years, he then started running towards them.

“Mum! Dad!” Spyro yelled, as he ran towards them, hoping that this was not just some cruel hoax but it was true. He then ran right into his Mother and Father’s arms who he had not seen for ten years.

“Mum! Dad! Oh! God...! I missed you so much...!” Spyro sobbed as tears started flowing down his cheeks as his long dead parents hugged and caressed him. As his mother’s scent flowed into his nostrils, so many wonderful memories came flooding back...

“Hush. Hush now... it’s ok, my son...we’re here...” soothed his mother, as she kissed Spyro’s forehead, who was sobbing over her shoulder. The scene was just so full of emotion as both Spyro’s long dead parents, hugged, kissed and caressed him.

“Oh. My boy...my son...” sobbed his Father hugged his Son

Cyra too began to fill up with tears as she watched the sad yet happy scene of Spyro and his parents unravel before her eyes.

“Oh! God...! He’s setting me of too...” Cyra said as a tear trickled down her cheek.

“Don’t worry you’re not the only one...” said Terranna, with a sniff as she watched the happy/sad scene.

“Wait...” Cyra said, “A-are my parents here too, if Spyro’s made it, I mean?” Cyra asked in a desperate way

“I-I’m afraid since that their spirits died deep within the darkness of Raku’s fortress...they were trapped and were not able to enter Alafrenor...” Fyrenz explained, sadly

“Oh...” Cyra replied, feeling slightly let down. She then looked away from the scene sadly. She wished she could have seen her parents at least once...

About twenty minutes later, Spyro, after his emotional reunion with his parents, is seen standing at a railing, lining the large island they were on, looking out at the large lake of water over on the other island. Cyra then came up and joined him.
“Hey, Spyro. You all right?” Cyra asked, as she placed her right paw on his left paw.

“Oh. Hey, Cyra... Yeah...I’m all right...” Spyro replied. Spyro and Cyra then both gazed out into the setting sun, letting their minds wander.
“Cyra...” Spyro started

“Hm?” Cyra replied

“I just want to say...thanks...” Spyro said, as he turned around to face Cyra “Really Cyra, thank you so much for this. I...really appreciated it...” Spyro added. Cyra then looked into Spyro’s dewy eyes and saw the honesty and genuine appreciation. She then smiled, squeezed his paw and came closer to him. Their bodies then touch and they wrapped their arms around each other into a hug.

As the two Dragon’s hugged into each other, while the sunset, Fyrenz walks over to Rekuma who just flew over from the nearest island with the largest, white, marble castle.

“Rekuma, is it ready yet?” Called Fyrenz

“Almost...” Rekuma replied, “You do know that she will not be able to survive...” Rekuma added

“I know...but we don’t have a choice, she has to follow her promise.” Fyrenz replied. Rekuma nodded and sighed sadly as he saw the two Dragons cuddled into each other. He then flew off back to the island.

As she rested her head on his shoulder and he nuzzled her forehead with his snout, whilst watching the sunset, they felt as though all their troubles with Raku had just washed away. She then raised her head off Spyro’s shoulder, let her lips follow Spyro’s warm breath and lock onto his. It seemed like ages passed when they last shared a proper kiss like this and they savoured the moment...
Five minutes later, as Spyro and Cyra shared another passionate kiss, a shadow befell upon them. Cyra came out of the kiss and turned around to find Rekuma standing behind them.

“Cyra, apologies for the interruption but the Altar of Alafrenor is ready for use and must be seen to at once...” Rekuma said with hint of anxiety

“Altar?” Cyra questioned him but then it hit her, “Goddess Cyra’s promise...” Cyra said as another memory flickered across her mind

“Yes...I’m afraid it cannot be postponed for much longer as there is still a lot of darkness shrouding the Dragon Worlds from Raku’s period of reign...” Rekuma said with a hint of sadness

“I see...and with quite a lot of my energy still unrecovered...” Cyra started

“Yes...although you’ll have enough to drive the darkness away...there’s really no chance that you’ll...” Rekuma replied. Cyra then nodded grimly and walked off and glided down towards the nearest and largest castle.

“Wait...what was that about an altar?” Spyro asked

“I-it’s a special altar that we use as a last resort to drive back or neutralise evil and to recreate destroyed worlds or rebuild broken lives. We can’t rejuvenate a being after a certain time though...” Rekuma explained

“Oh. So it’s like Cyra’s healing power except on a massive scale?” Spyro asked

“Yes...however, this act is very demanding on input of light essence and normally requires the being to be in peak condition...” Rekuma replied

“Oh...” Spyro said, but then he remembered what he said about not being able to recover some of Cyra’s lost energy. He looked up at Rekuma, who looked slightly saddened. A horrible thought then flickered into his mind, “She is going to be ok, isn’t she...?” Spyro asked but Rekuma remained silent, “Please tell me she’s gonna be ok?” Spyro bade desperately.

“She will have enough light essence for the given task, but I’m afraid that because a lot of her light essence remained uncovered... she will not have enough left for her own use and...She will die...” Rekuma explained sadly

Spyro’s eyes then widened. Spyro then began to back away from Rekuma, towards the castle, shaking his head in disbelief of what he just heard.
“No...” Spyro said quietly,

“I’m sorry but it...” Rekuma started

“No!” Spyro butted, “I can’t...I won’t let her...!”

“Look, Spyro! I’m sorry but it has to be done, my Mother made a promise two-thousand years...” Rekuma said

“NO!” Spyro yelled, “I won’t let this happen!” Spyro then started to run towards the castle, building up speed as he went

“Spyro! No! Wait!” Rekuma yelled after him but Spyro had only one thing set on his mind and that was to save his only loved one from certain death.

Cyra stood in a hallway of pure-white, marble walls, with six stained-glass windows (Each bearing one of the six deities of Zeikora), three either side of the hall and in the middle of the hall, was a large, raised marble tablet. Cyra then got on top of the structure which had lots of complicated runes etched on its surface, surrounding a large, circular pool of shallow water and she gave a shuddering sigh as her memories of her times with Spyro played around her head non-stop. Cyra was, however, forced out of her thoughts as the double doors flew open and slammed off the walls

“Cyra!” Called a familiar voice, Cyra then reluctantly turned around and saw Spyro running up to her, with his claws clicking on the marble floor. He then got onto the tablet in front of Cyra and their eyes met.
“Cyra...please don’t do this...” Spyro pleaded her with a slight sob

“I’m sorry, Spyro...I have to...” Cyra replied

“But Cyra, this just isn’t fair. You just don’t have a say in what you want in your life. You’ve always had to go by what other people tell you to do. Instead you have to let them take your life away, literally” Spyro replied back

“Spyro...you just don’t understand. I can’t turn this down because two-thousand-years ago, just before Goddess Cyra died, she made a promise that, with the darkness that she predicted that will return, she’ll use her powers to drive back the evil and rebuild lost lives with this altar even if it meant death and when a God or Goddess turns down a promise like that, he or she’ll will die anyway.” Cyra explained

“But Cyra...” Spyro started and he went deep into thought. A thought then occurred to him. “Cyra...” Spyro started, again, “Do you have to do the whole thing on your own?” Spyro asked

“Well, I’m the only one that can use the altar, so...” Cyra replied, she added

“Oh...but what if you were to do it with someone?” Spyro asked

“Well, that would be a big help but the thing is, the other gods have to put their energy into keeping the rift between the living world and Alafrenor open so I can purify it, so they wouldn’t be able to help me” Cyra asked

“Ok...what if someone else was to lend their energy to you, just enough so that both are able to survive...” Spyro replied. Cyra then looked into Spyro’s eyes and she had a good idea what he had in mind

“What do you have in mind...?” Cyra asked

“Well, I was thinking that maybe you and I could do the thing together where you can borrow my energy as well as your own. I mean, if we both do it then there may be a chance that we’ll both survive...” Spyro replied

“I-I don’t know...” Cyra said, “It’s too risky..." Cyra hesitated

“C’mon Cyra if we do this together then there may be a good chance that we’ll both make it...” Spyro replied

“But Spyro...what if this doesn’t work out...what if one of us or we both die...” Cyra hinted

“But what if we do make it?” Spyro replied. Cyra then looked away; still unsure about Spyro’s plan.

“But Spyro...you’ve all ready died for me...I can’t just let you die again...” Cyra replied back

“Look, Cyra. If you do this alone, then you’ll die for certain but if we do this together then there’s a chance that we’ll both make it. It’s risky, yeah, but it’s an opportunity we can’t miss and besides I made a promise I’d never leave you and I’m not about to break it anytime soon.” Spyro said. Spyro then got closer to her and their eyes met once more, “C’mon Cyra...I want to do this with you...” Spyro added as he stroked her forelegs. Cyra then sort of half smiled

“God! You’re so stubborn...” Cyra sighed. Spyro then sort of chuckled

“So...are we gonna do this...” Spyro asked

“Yeah...ok...” Cyra answered, but then just as Cyra began to move into the shallow pool of water with Spyro, the door swung open

“No! Spyro! Wait! What are you doing!?” Yelled a male voice from outside. When Spyro and Cyra looked to see who it was, they saw it was Rekuma.

“Rekuma, it’s all right...” Cyra called back to him, “Spyro’s going to help by offering some his energy to me during the purification.” Cyra explained

“But you are aware of the risk that you both may die from this, are you not?” Rekuma hinted

“Yes...I’ve mention the risks but Spyro still insisted.” Cyra replied.

“Look...Spyro...you don’t have to do this...if you both die of this then you’ll just die in vain...” Rekuma said

“No I won’t.” Spyro replied, “I’d die knowing that I helped her...I promised I’d never leave her and there’s no way I’m gonna break it now!” Spyro added. Rekuma then looked at the young Dragon, full of respect for him for he had never seen this much devotion in anyone before.

“Very well, I will inform the other gods to open the rift to the world of the living...best of luck to the both of you.” He replied, “And Spyro, whenever it comes to your passing, Alafrenor’s gates will always welcome you.” Rekuma added. It was then that Spyro’s parents came running up from behind Rekuma.

“Spyro!” called his Father, “Please! Think about what you are doing!” he cried as they came up to the tablet where Spyro and Cyra were.

“I have thought about it and I’m going through with it” Spyro replied

“But Spyro, you needn’t put yourself under a very risky procedure! You may be putting yourself into another early grave!” Sarek replied

“But I want to do this!” Spyro yelled in frustration, “Please, Dad...!” Spyro added

“But Son...” Sarek started

“Now Sarek...I know you don’t like the idea of Spyro risking so much but can’t you see how much he cares about her?” Sira said, “He loves her and if he doesn’t go through with it then he’ll have to live with the scars for the rest of his life.” Sira added

“Y-you’re right...” Sarek added quietly, he then turned back to his Son, “Ok...Spyro...you just do what you need to do...” Sarek said, “And Spyro...I want you to know that I’m very proud of you, my Son...” he added

“Thanks...” Spyro replied as he hugged his parents for what could be for the very last time. It was then after their final farewells, that his parents and Rekuma walked out of the castle and the door slammed shut. Spyro then turned back to Cyra and their eyes met; it was time...

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment