Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Heaven Cries

Continuation of a boys Struggle against Hell

Chapter 2 - Heaven Cries

Chapter 2 - Heaven Cries
“So your awake…” Kayla said.
My head was gently placed in her lap. The sun had already faded behind the sandy dunes to the east and whatever light we had came from a small fire she had made.
“My head…dammit” I said sitting up.
“You should get some rest…I’m surprised you came too so fast” She said to me standing up.
I look at her. She still didn’t look me in the eye. I felt worst then I had before. It didn’t help that it was just us now and we where alone in the desert. I stood and stretched and then took a seat back down. She walked threw some leaves into the fire and sat on the opposite side of the fire.
“You ok? … Being attacked back their in all” I said.
She didn’t immediately answer nor did she look up.
“I’m fine,” She said solemnly.
“ …” I couldn’t think of anything to say. She was completely cold to me now that everything was over. I could tell right now she wished she were anywhere but here. We sat there in silence and listened as the cool desert winds sweeps passed us.
“ Leon…” She said and paused.
“Yeah?” I said kind of surprised she even said anything to me.
“ I wanted to know…why did you come to save me…?” for the first time in the past 10 minutes she finally looked up but still not at me.
I sighed but anything was better then the deafening silence.
“ I was confused at first…I told myself I came only because the Twilight was with you and I was sure of it…but eventually…I couldn’t keep fooling myself…I wanted to see you.” I said.
She doesn’t answer.
“  I guess I hid behind the Twilight for an answer…but the answer didn’t come…I thought that maybe you had me mixed up with someone else too …until I used the Twilight for the first time…I honestly have no memory of you at all…” I said and paused I waited for an answer to this but it never came. She didn’t answer me the rest of the night and I felt so empty…like I had done something terribly wrong that entire night.
The next mourning we started heading towards the Sea. She still didn’t say a word to me and she walked pretty far behind me keeping her distance. I didn’t have it in me to ask about my past…more or less our past. I had to periodically look back to make sure she was ok. I learned already about the increased healing rate of the Twilight and Trinity so I know I can heal quickly, but I didn’t know about her. I didn’t want anything to happen but I was kind of scared to ask if she was ok. We had already got about 3 hours into walking. It was a lot harder without the fruits and I really hated just wearing cloths it was so hot. She had to have been feeling this…maybe even more so then I was. I turned to check back on her.
“Kayla!” I yell and run over to her. She passed out in the sand and still didn’t say a word about it. I looked her over to find out the cut from Aretemis had reopened.
“Damn” I said,” I can’t do much about this”
I learned a bit of first aid and how to treat small wounds but this looked way out of something I could handle. I knew I had to stop the bleeding and we had absolutely no water. I ripped off a piece of the shoulder of my under shirt. I rapped it around her chest tight and used a few shards I found around to keep it in place. It started bleeding through but in a matter of moments the bleeding stopped. I was glad. The Twilight would start taking effect on her soon but water is still something the Twilight can’t replace. I picked her up and lifted her onto my back. Every step from then on seemed like hell. Her body pressed down on me attracting heat and here weight made every step more difficult.
“Leon…”
I look back at her, and then smirk. She was even thinking about me unconscious.
The day was still early and it was probably just now noon. My vision started getting cloudy, and I regretted leaving all my supplies behind even though it probably would have hindered us. She is probably worst off then I am since she hasn’t eaten since she was kidnapped and It explains why she was so weak. I had walked for over an hour with her on my back and it was almost unbearable to move. I found a large plant and set Kayla beside it to get as much shade as possible. She was over ventilating and it wasn’t getting much better. I dropped my sword a long way back there so I ended up using my hands to try and break the plant Unfortunately it wasn’t easy as it looked but I managed to get it open.  I had heard that they had a lot of nutrients especially young ones. It oozed out a green slime that looked disgusting at first but was actually cool. I put some on her then tried some myself. It also wasn’t bad to eat. I spent an hour trying to keep her temperature stable and her breathing. The plant sure could work wonders but it was the only one I had seen ever since I had been in the desert and without Damien’s map I had no idea where I was even headed. The sun was at its hottest part of the day and its ray’s almost blinded me as I tried getting us further in the desert. The liquid from the plant did well to cool us down but it had little effect in the long run. The sunrays soaked up my energy and without more from the plant I had left behind I wasn’t going to be able to keep going.
“Damn” I said softly sinking to my knees. It was so hot I couldn’t even keep my eyes open and before I knew it I couldn’t move. I blacked out soon after that and I had no strength left.
 
 
I woke up to the sound of running water. My body was kind of soar but I managed to get up. I was in a house and Kayla was asleep next to me. I checked her temperature and she was fine.
“ So I was right to assume you where a couple only question I got is why your out this far” An old man steps into the Shack we where in. The Shack was small and only had one bed and some supplies.
“ Thank you for saving us but where not a couple” I said.
“ You don’t have to be modest about it why else would you have been with her in the middle of the desert but I’ll skip all the who’s and why’s and get to the point” He said,” If you and your wife here need a ride to the nearest village I’ll be happy to give ya one bright in early tomorrow. For now you should probably rest another few hours and you two may not have even made it. I know these deserts like the back side of this old hand,” The man said to me.
Their was no since in arguing with him. We where in desperate need to get back to the Twin cities so I didn’t press the matter of him calling us a married couple.
“ Well I figure you two are probably hungry so if you don’t mind helping fix something I’m sure we could fix up something before she wakes up” The man said.
“Yeah…that’d be good,” I said looking back at her sleeping. She was really beautiful when she slept.
“Give her this too” He said and threw me some cloths,” It was pretty hard getting both of you here at the same time so I’m pretty sure it was my own fault for destroying what she had on. Take that as my payment for them”.
“Your fine but thank you” I said.
I placed the cloths beside her and walked out of the shack followed by the man. I walked out into a small oasis that was covered in small trees that blocked the sun from coming in.
“Keeps the Suns rays off you here…my home away from home” He said and went down to the Stream.
I took a sip of water. The water was as if I had never tasted and I quickly took in as much as my hands could shovel into mouth.
“ Albina is mostly desert and that’s a fact but the large river the runs through it, The Deker, is really a marvel and makes this place some what of a paradise to live.” The man said.
“How long have you lived out here?” I asked. 
“Hmm…about 8 years give or take,” He answered.
“That long?” I asked,” I’m not sure I could get used to living out here even for that long”.
“Well… Their ain’t nothing for me anywhere else out their. I figure this is as good a place as any for my last years” The man coughs into his hand.
He was pretty old and I could tell there weren’t many years he would probably be living. It made me wonder what my dad would be looking like around now…if by chance he’s even alive.
“Well enough standing around talking I’ll need you to catch one of the fish that come by in the stream and with a few vegetables that I grow around here we should have a nice meal by sun down.
“Sounds good,” I said. I started looking around for a fishing pole…a spear…anything that would help me catch the fish. I didn’t honestly expect his answer when he told me.
“You need to catch them with your bare hands” he said.
“…. What?” I answered back.
“You’ve never fished with just your hands.” He laughs,” Not all of us can get fancy weapons and all that stuff from the city so we have to learn it the hard way…. here I’ll teach” He said squatting down next to the stream.
“The key is to come from almost know where by not making a sound” The man had his eyes fixed on the next fish coming by. He didn’t make a move and he held his breath as it was passing right beside us. And then as if he was lightening itself he struck the fish out of the water.
I blinked and stared at him for a second.
“Now you try. I’m telling ya lad its not as hard as it looks” He said stepping out the way. I stepped next to the river and waited. I spread my legs apart so I could move faster and from the corner of my eye I saw one coming down stream. I held my breath just as he had before me and waited for it to pass by. My hand was steady and didn’t make a move until the right moment, and without a second of hesitation I lunged for the fish. It felt easy when I tried it but I still missed. Worst yet I fell face first into the water. The old man fell onto the tree laughing and I couldn’t help but laugh too. I turned and whipped a few drops of water from my fore head and then I saw her. She was standing just outside the tent house. I almost thought I caught a smile but when our eyes made contact she quickly let it dissipate. I stood up and brushed the sand from my pants and walked over to her.
“You feeling better?” I asked.
“…I’m fine,” She answered solemnly turning her back to me. She walked back into the tent and didn’t say anything more to me. I watched her for a second and then went back to the old man.
“She giving you a hard time son?” He asked.
“…Don’t worry about it…its nothing,” I answered to him the thought of someone else getting into this put me down. It was me who forgot so I should be the blame true enough, but I still don’t remember a thing so it still feels wrong I'm punished for it.
“ Theirs no since hiding it” The old man said,” You can see it your eyes son. In the way she looks at you and at the way you look at her. Its clear as day to me, but the problem is you won’t admit it”
Admit what I thought. Its not like I chose to forget about her.
“So tell me about her then” He said.
I paused for a second and chose my words carefully.
“I can’t,” I answered.
“I see…is it really that bad. I’ve seen her type before son. They hold all of it in here” He clinches his shirt near his chest,” Their terrified and angry inside but refuse to show it. They don’t want other people to see them suffer…they don’t want so show they hurt inside”.
I looked at him for a second. He felt familiar. Like this most defiantly wasn’t the first time we had met. His words were true enough. But what could I do?
“ You have to confront her son. It’s the only way”
“…How” I asked with a blank expression on my face.
The man smirks,” Well hell if I know” He said taking a seat next to me,” I mean I don’t know her…but you do. I could tell she has strong feelings for you but she’s like a turtle”
“Wha?” I answered.
He picks up a large coconut that had fallen from the tree. It was bruised and a small hole was visible on one side.
“ Like this coconut she keeps everything special and meaningful to her inside. She made her self-hard just like its shell to protect herself. Just like the bruises on this coconut she was been hurt before in the past. She’s hurting now and it’s only a matter of time that like the coconut her feeling will come pouring out” He said and let the coconut juice run out into the stream.
I stared and watched it drain out.
“ I don’t know… I just don’t have anything that I can say that can put what your saying into words” I told him.
He stood up,” I got faith in ya son. You’re strong as I was when I was younger. Strong in the mind and the body but this just isn’t something you can have answered. Take a step out of what your accustomed too and you’ll find your answer”
We sat there in silence listening to the small stream pass by. I took a few deep breaths. This felt oddly like the Twilight, a mystery in it self.
“Anyway” He said standing up and brushing himself off,” I’ll finish with the fish and the rest of dinner you just try and fix things with her”.
He walked off down stream and away into the distance.
I stood up and walked back to the tent. I rubbed my neck and was about to speak when I noticed there was no one in it.
“What the hell?” I said running through everything. She wasn’t here.
I stepped out the tent and skimmed around. I didn’t even hear her leave. I peaked outside and I could make out a figure out running far in the distance.
“Dammit...” I said low to myself and with hesitation I ran after her.
It was early in the afternoon and the sun was blazing down on us. It felt as though the sun itself was stalking me and focusing its rays directly on me. I stumbled to one knee but quickly regained back to my feet. She wasn’t far now but I wondered how she was able to run so long. Hot sweat dripped down into my eye and it burned up against my cheek as it rolled down into the fiery sand. In the distance I could barely make her out. It had gotten so hot my eyes where foggy, but at last I saw her collapse. Strength came to me to catch up to her and when I did she was unconscious.
“Kayla…Kayla” I shook her trying to wake her up. I knew it wasn’t good to pass out in the desert. I felt her forehead and she was on fire. I could barely even touch it. This can’t just be the heat I thought but I didn’t have time to think on it. I quickly lifted her onto my back and started the long hike back. I could hear her mumbling half awake and half asleep. I couldn’t make out what she was saying but as long as she was still able to talk it was a good sign. The oasis was in sight but I had almost no strength left. I was down on one knee trying to support her and my own body weight. I couldn’t move and I knew it wouldn’t help either of us to stand here and let the sun roast us alive. My breathing became extremely heavy and each breath felt like I inhaling thick toxic air and I could hardly breath with out coughing. My throat was so dry swallowing was hard. From the distance I could make out a figure coming our way. I could only guess who it was at this state but I was glad to see him. The old man lifted my arm onto his shoulder and lifted her so she equally distributed weight wise on both of our backs.
“Its dangerous running out at this time of day son. It could easily get you killed,” He complained to me.
I knew it was dumb but their was nothing I could do about it. She was trying to get as far away from me as possible and its almost as though her life means nothing, but her life was important to her. Its true that I lost most my memory of her but the split second with the Twilight brought back flashes. I know its true now and I have to tell her that. I want to apologize cause I didn’t want to see her hurting like she was. It broke my heart because I was just like that for a while. When all the pain catches up to you crying hurts so much more, and how it was going she had no one to help her.
We made back to the oasis a few moments later. We splashed water onto her, and when we went to lay her down we poured water around her cheeks and forehead to cool her down. It took awhile but she finally had stable breathing. I plopped down next to her on the floor. I laid my head back next to her on the bed and closed my eyes and a few seconds later I was out like a light.
 
When I woke up it was dark and Kayla had already left. My body was kind of numb from my waste down so I didn’t move much for a few minutes. I could hear talking outside of the tent so I didn’t make a sound and listened.
“ So tell me about him “ The old man asked.
“…” She didn’t answer
“ Their ain’t much a man can do for a woman to act like this. I see it clear as day you like him…maybe more then that”
She stayed silent and even though I couldn’t see her from where I was sitting I could tell what she was thinking.
“ I hate him…” She finally answered.
It hit me deep. My heart almost stopped at those words.
“ Is that so…?” The old man asked,” Go on then…why?”
I had had all I wanted to hear from this conversation. I sighed and laid my head back down. I tuned out all of their words until I had fallen back asleep again.
When the mourning came I found Kayla nowhere in sight. I was actually happy for once not to see her. I had to be honest I was pissed. All these apologies and everything I had put myself through for just that…it just wasn’t worth it to give a damn about it anymore.
“I’ll just get her back to the Twin cities…that’s all” I said in a low whisper to myself. I don’t know why I said it out loud. Maybe I was just trying to persuade myself I was taking a path that I wanted now. If that’s how she felt then there really is no need for me to carry on like this. If she won’t talk to me I wont’ talk to her and its fine to me like that.
I stepped outside the tent to see the old man and Kayla already waiting.
“ Mournin” He said
She didn’t say a word and turned her glance from me.
“ Mourning” I answered back to him and walked right past her without a word.
We spent a few minutes gathering some supplies and then the old man brought out his camel and we started our journey to town. The camel was big enough for all three of us but I just walked beside it. I was so pissed I didn’t even want to be near her. Her sad face only made heat for the fire.
The old man quietly exchanged glances between both of us. I’m pretty sure he figured out I heard what they where talking about last night, and I made it pretty obvious. The Sun hadn’t really risen so it was easy to move and with good enough time by the time we get to the hottest part of the day we should be in town. An hour had flown by without a single word exchanged between any of us. I kept to my side of the camel and she kept to hers. I whipped some sweat off my forehead and rubbed it off on my pants. The sun was rising and the inferno that it was bringing was approaching.
“ Here” The old man said and handed me a jug of water. I didn’t give it a second thought when I swigged the entire thing down with out a second’s remorse and handed it back to him. He offered her some but she silently denied it. I still didn’t understand her and I cursed myself for still trying. I was forcing myself not to care about it, as if just to give my anger a purpose. Another hour flew by and we where finally coming up on the Port.
Lynalee Port…ain’t it beautiful?” He said more to himself then to any of us. Neither of us answered or even looked at each other we just kept on as if he hadn’t spoken anything. We walked into town and just like on the other side of Albina it wasn’t really crowded, a small peaceful town on the coast of the desert.
“ I’m gonna drop you two off at the end. I have a friend who owes so he should be able to get you a room for tonight at least where did you say you where going again?” He said,
“ Where heading back to the Twin cities,” I answered,” I should have enough to get us their. Thank you so much for your help. I hope to be able to repay some day “.
“ Don’t worry about it son. I’m old and their ain’t much time to good on this earth before my times up. Don’t worry about paying me back,” He said patting me on the back.
“Take care of her,” He whispered softly in my ear as he passed by. He leaped on his camel and began ridding back into the scorching desert. I sat their perplexed for a second and then thought of something.
“Hey!” I called to him.
“Hm?” He said stopping the camel.
“I never asked your name…I want to remember it,” I said.
“ Benneth Young…Just call me Ben if we should ever meet up again” He said with a smile and turned back.
I watched him ride off and then I was forced to relies it was just us two now and now we would have to talk. I had a feeling in the back of my brain that Ben had planned this but it was to late now. He was long gone into the desert and until all of this is over I won’t get to see him again.
I walked into the INN and ordered a room. After I told the manager about Ben he was pretty happy and gave us two rooms on the house. I’m pretty sure we were both happy about that one. I walked up stairs and set my stuff down in my room. I kept my door open and laid back on my bed. I watched for when Kayla was going to leave but she didn’t this time. I thought back to what Ben had said to me before. I was trying to reason with myself why I was mad at her in the first place but all the thought mumbled together and gave me a headache. Eventually I just sat up and left. I just needed some time away from all of this to clear my head.  I walked around the town for a long time. Just thinking…maybe not even that. I stopped by the Dock and stayed by the ocean watching cargo ships come and go. I ended up taking a nap out there and the time flew past me. It was pretty close to dusk and I was starving. I was about to go get something to eat but I thought about Kayla. Thoughts hit me one by one about her. I had to make up my mind if I wanted to just let us both be mad at each other or mend what was going on. It can’t just be some dumb memory I forgot and all the questions I had from back then I still didn’t have answered. I was still in the dark and I didn’t want to be mad at her. Maybe she did hate me and if I knew what it was then I could come to peace with understanding how she felt. Maybe she doesn’t hate me and is just mad and confused about this. I wanted to apologize and make things right. I didn’t want to leave this place with us like this. I took a deep breath and started a steady jog back to the INN. My heart was beating pretty fast as I came up to her door. I knocked twice with no answer. I paused for a second and then knocked again. Then in an instant I thought about it.
“She couldn’t have…” I told myself running down the stairs and out the INN. I looked around and she wasn’t in sight. If she had been running since I left there is no telling where she could be. My heart was racing at this point. Then I looked out into the desert and saw an elevated dune. It was flat and just beside the ocean. I stared at it for a second and then started heading towards. I don’t know why I thought she was there and it seemed crazy literally but it was like I was being called there so I followed the call. I hiked up the dune to find her their.
“ Hey” I called to her.
She looked at me and didn’t answer.
“ I wanna talk to you Kayla will you give me just a second? “ I asked.
I started walking towards her but it seemed like every step I took towards her she retreated a step back.
“Please Kayla just talk to me” I said,” What are you so mad at?”
“…You honestly don’t know do you…you don’t remember me at all” She said.
I was shocked she actually spoke back.
“ I waited…3 years for you Leon…those where the longest years of my life…I suffered hard waiting for you. Each day that passed by I felt I was losing a part of my soul and myself and each moment we where apart I was dying inside. I’d have given anything just to have seen you back then…”
I just stood there. Any words I had prepared to say and any counter had flown out of my head. I was paralyzed.
“ Now 3 years later you come back. Not a word…not a sorry…not anything…you can’t even remember who am I anymore!” She screamed.
Her eyes began to water as she spoke,” You wanna know pain Leon!? None of anything in this desert Leon! My father had spent days and hours counseling me trying to get me back on my feet. I could not live without you!”
She took a second to regain her thoughts.
“ I loved you Leon…with every ounce of my womanly being I loved you. I would have died at any of your commands cause I trusted you so much.”
I was speechless for words. My body ached and I could feel so strongly for her right now. Her words were eating and breaking me down to an inch of my own being.
“ But I persevered Leon…and yes it was the hardest thing I ever had to do!” She took a deep breath,” But I never want to see you again…I don’t’ want to ever have to feel that pain again. I don’t want you to take advantage of how I feel for you. I never want to see you again…”
It was almost like time itself stopped for me and there was nothing I could do. She started walking off the dune and out of my reach and I couldn’t do a damn thing about it…but I wasn’t going to let it end this way. I’ve come to far.
“No…” I was barely able to get out. I was trying hard not to tear up and let any of my emotions go.
“ No…you’re not leaving…its not going to end like this,” I said.
I didn’t think…I didn’t know what I was doing and by now I didn’t care. My heart was acting over every impulse in my body telling me to stop. I ran over to her and I took her by the hand. Tears dripped through my eyes and I held her to me. She screamed and told me to let go of her. That she hated me so much. She banged and hit me with all her strength and I could see tears streaming down her face too, but I held her. Above all she could do to me I stood there and took it.
“You’re going to listen…” I told her. I held closer then I ever had.
“ I know pain Kayla…so don’t act like you know everything. My mother is dead…my Father is dead… I have seen people die to this curse I am bearing, this power I have to hold and take hold of.”
I sniffed up tears and pain of my own and continued.
“ I have done shoot done shoot and my life and to this day I try to make it better. I wronged you so much. So much I can’t describe in any word I could ever tell you, but my memory is gone. I don’t know if you’re going to believe and right now I don’t care. I’m sorry I hurt you Kayla…I’m sorry I was the reason my momma died…I’m sorry I couldn’t save my dad. I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you when you needed me most. I’m sorry I left you their to suffer on your own”.
Tears streamed down my face and I fell to my knees. Nothing I had felt and held in I could hold back now. She held close to me and the deserts brought a great storm out on us. It rained as we embraced. I couldn’t let her go and for such a long time I couldn’t keep my eyes off her. The rain fell hard yet gently on my back. Soothing yet strong just like she was to me now. I didn’t ever want to be without this feeling now. The Heaven’s cried with us on this night. It was a night I could never forget. It was one of the moments of my life where I truly felt I could understand everything I had done in my life, and that feeling alone…was something I’d never forget.
                                                             
 
 
 
 
 
I woke up the next mourning with her beside me. I had my arms around in her in bed. I stretched for a second and then kissed her on the cheek to wake her up. I stood up from the bed and began getting dressed. She watched for a second with a smile then began the same. I walked with her outside the INN and down to the port without a word. This time however we weren’t fighting. I had my arm around her and I held her close to me. When we got to the docks though it was a completely different surprise.
“ Sorry mate…this ain’t gonna get you a full trip to the Twin cities” The Captain said when I handed him all the money I had.
“ You can’t be serious…” I said I thought back to Damien and I was sure he would have given us enough to get here. I don’t know why we don’t have enough.
“However…this is enough to get you to a place pretty close.” The captain said.
“ Where’s that” I asked.
“ Ever hear of the beautiful Trinity Islands?” He asked.
I look at him in disbelief. I wanted to avoid that place at all cost, but it seems I can’t really avoid it any longer now. I’m stuck going back their.
Kayla gave me a worried look.
“Ok we’ll go their then,” I said trying to look optimistic.
“ Ok Mate we’ll be leaving right away” The captain said and began shouting out orders. He reminded me a lot of Captain Sam too. When we got to our cabin below the deck I took a seat in a chair.
“ What’s wrong with the Trinity Islands?” She asked.
“…Theirs nothing really wrong with it…but I didn’t want to drag people I didn’t want hurt in this war…but it just seems more is on the line now…I can’t do this war by myself and I know it now. I’m gonna need help” I said and smiled to her.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment