Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - The Light that never Fades

Continuation of a boys Struggle against Hell

Chapter 6 - The Light that never Fades

Chapter 6 - The Light that never Fades

My chest caved in as I hit the dirt hard. Mud splattered in my face and I could hardly move or breathe. The Twilight power that had gotten me this far faded and my body was left motionless.
The voices of the people behind me echoed and rang in my ears until I couldn’t stand bearing it anymore. Is this what I wanted…I thought is this really what I fought so hard to achieve. My eyes closed and my body was laid to rest wherever I had fallen.
 
                                                      The Twin Cities, 3rd Day before Arrival
 
“Princess” John called to Kayla.
She looked at him,” Theirs no need for formalities at this point of all of this. I’m pretty sure its ok to call me by my name, Kayla” She solemnly answered back to him.
He sighs,” Ok…everyone is so worked up about all of this…its crazy because all of the hope I saw all of a day ago has now turned into spite and disfunction. People are scared to death because they think we can’t win”
She pauses,” When did he tell you about all of this?”
John looks at her strangely,” hmm…about hell and everything he never really mentioned it much until I had to know…why?”
She had a hard time talking at all and John could tell so he gave her time to answer.
“It just seems like everything is happening again…He left me once…and now he’s left again” she said.
“What do you mean?” John asked.
“…I’ve known Leon for a long time…we where engaged to be married almost a year ago…” She says holding up her left hand and showing the silver and blue on her finger.” But he hadn’t found his father, and his mother had just passed away…It was painful and he didn’t want to return to his sister without knowing what had happened to his father. He felt like all the time he had spent thus far had been wasted and he blamed himself for the death and suffering of his mother and sister…So…He left…He kept searching and told me to wait for him hear…I loved him…and even though I waited and suffered from the time it took for him to finally come back to me it was nothing compared to what happened when he finally did. He didn’t remember me…he didn’t remember a thing we had done…and I fell apart and I couldn’t stand to be around him, but I still loved him…just now I didn’t know if I loved more then I hated him.”
John looked at her and then back down to the floor. He thought he knew Leon…but it just seemed all of things that had built him to this point where still mysteries to him.
Kayla continued,” Even after he came and rescued me…I was torn between hating and loving him at the same time, and I was so confused that I went off on him without even knowing it…and I hurt him just like he had hurt me so long ago…but it didn’t feel better for me…it made me feel worst and if he hadn’t reached out and comforted me I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to love him again… I still don’t know what happened to him though…he didn’t really tell me and I haven’t had a lot of time since all of this happened right after each other. Our lives have been contested so long that I don’t even know how we made it this far together…but no matter how I think of it now…I love him and I couldn’t dare to ever hold so much distrust of him in my heart ever again…I just don’t know why he ran away from everyone…why he ran away from me”.
John sighs,” I’ve known Leon awhile too…maybe not like you but I did learn a few important things about him…He will come back…and he does stay by a promise” John said.
“With such optimism you could easily relay these people…but Alas with Leon gone in such a time…It’s too much for anyone to grasp” Lenneth said coming over to them.
“You don’t believe he will come back do you?” Kayla asked.
John waited silently for his answer.
“On the Contrary…I believe just as you do…not many people can do what he can do…people just don’t see how much of a person he has to be to be able to suffer like he does and still move on with life” Lenneth said,” If you still have ill content over Kyoko’s death I can understand for my actions where not in favor and I do not deserve to be forgiven”.
Lenneth came to his knees and bowed to John.
“Get up” He said grimly,” You did what you had too…I never blamed you…” John said.
“This war has brought a toil on everyone…its hard even for the Sanction members who are suppose to be strong…most do not have families anymore…they either died and in the war thus far…or they had to leave them to be an Active member and not have restraints.” Lenneth said.
“They left their families just to fight Eh? maybe I cut them short in my judgment.”
“There is a lot about us that isn’t known…we don’t suffer in words…most of the Sanction is dead inside and when this is all over they will be reflections of the world that we just won…they won’t have anything to go back too…no old life…no family…nothing…their empty shells who’s only goal has been to destroy hell and its entirety. Its sad to relies it” Lenneth said not lifting his head.
“They will relies it themselves someday their true reason…and maybe…that’s what Leon was truly searching for…His reason to live…” John said.
Kayla stared at John and then out the window.
 
 
 
I winced in pain in an abyss of darkness. I couldn’t see a thing but my body was stiff and in constant pain. I could hear voices around me but I couldn’t open my eyes or say anything.
“It’s really him” I heard a voice say.
“Quite now we need to get him to our medics”.
I felt a hand on my face that stroked down to my cheeks. I don’t know what happened but all the pain seemed to have been nulled and I quickly drifted to sleep comfortably.
I woke up early the next mourning with bandages all the way down from my chest to my legs.
“So your finally awake” A young woman steps into the room.
“Unfortunately” I said looking around. I was in a small room in bed with a tiny window with the sun peacefully glowing in.
“I don’t know how you got in such bad shape, but your going to have to rest for a few days before you can even stand” She said.
I ignored her a stepped out of the bed to get dressed.
“Did you hear me!? I said you can’t get up! I-“ She stopped as I slowly took off all the bandages,” but…the scars…cuts…everything…how?”
“It’s more of a curse then a gift,” I said pulling on my shirt and stepping out the room. I slowly trailed down the hall. Even though my body had fully healed my muscles where still sore. The Twilight had a gift of increased healing but something’s in life take only time to heal and in more ways then one.
I stepped out the building into the streets of a small city.
Where am I? I thought to myself.
“Welcome young man” An old man followed by a younger one came over to me,” I trust you have been treated well?”
“Its fine…thank you” I said.
“It’s no problem to the man who will save our world…its below the least I could do” He said.
“…How do you know about that?” I asked.
“Well…this is where is all began…”
“You mean…this…is Alden…” I said barley able to believe where I was. I looked around at the few people who walked the streets. I had always pictured the Sanction headquarters a giant military city…not this.
“I know it doesn’t look like much but over the years we couldn’t just protect the secrets of the Twilight. As time went by this became a thriving city where all the decedents of the Twilight come…but enough about that. What I need to know is why you are here so soon,” He asked.
The younger man who had been quite thus far eyed me.
“I’m…” I thought about it for a second but eventually couldn’t bring myself to answer.
“So if you don’t know what your doing here or why you have left the Twin cities then tell me…do you know what you left behind to get here.”
“…I don’t have time for this,” I said brushing past the man.
I had only gotten a few feet before the man’s words rang deep into my ears,” When your done running…you know where to find me”.
I stopped but didn’t look back. Then I just ignored it and continued through the city. The city as I had realized was perched high in the mountains to the north. I didn’t know where exactly but with the Twilight in the state I had it I couldn’t have gotten to far.
“Leon” A voice called from behind me.
“Damien?” I said confused,” What are you doing here?”
“I could say the same for you. I was sent here a few hours after I arrived to rally the remaining forces of the Sanction, but the high council refuses to lend anymore support until set events are in place or ever at all. What are they waiting for to not lend our own forces to save lives?” Damien said.
It seemed clear to me based off what they said. Either the Twin cities will fall with little resistance and keep most of the Sanction force or we will fight with all our arsenal and make the final stand their…both ways its still based on my decision.
“I don’t need to know why your hear…nor do I need to lecture you on your actions and their effect on the others I’m only going to let you know…I’m going back to fight with or without the rest of the Sanction and with or without you…I know my purpose…and I will not condemn my fiancé to die without every drop of blood in my body being relinquished” Damien said.
She’s in the twin cities…I thought…their both in the Twin cities.
“Why did you bring her their Damien? Why would you endanger her?” I said in a low voice.
“It’s time to face facts Leon…Its dangerous no matter where I take her…there is a chance every time I leave her side that I will never see her face again… She wants it…and I want it for her…If we are to fall…we will go with the rest of the last few people that believe in our future and yes we may die…but on the last foothold for peace that our world can give to us”
I was silent.
“I’ll be leaving this afternoon so that I may lend any last hand before it begins” He said beginning his trek back to the building I had just left from,” Take care of yourself Leon” He said without turning back.
I stood their dazed in the confusion this battle brought to me. I didn’t know whether to hate everyone who seemed to push this on me or the god that gave me the burden to begin with, and why didn’t my father tell me before…before I was tricked into taking something I could never handle, but with so much at stake I wasn’t allowed to feel for myself… I needed to think of the others at stake…I needed to think for all of them.
When I started back into the direction the old man had come from he met me half way. I knew after Damien spoke that he expected me to come to him.
“I’m glad you have taken this upon yourself to lend this world your all. Please follow me.” He said and unlike before the younger wasn’t present. The old man led me over to the edge of town to a large spiral tower. I didn’t even know what to think of it.
He led me in to a room inside the bottom of the level of the tower and had me take a seat.
“I’d ask you to make yourself comfortable, but we will not be staying here long” He said.
There where to glasses on the table and after he drank some I followed suit.
“Pardon for my lack of introduction, but I am Heim Elsies Beltris and I am the one of five of the high council. What we are about to do will be rash and certainly under normal circumstances unforgivable but we are running out of options…and time is running short.” He said.
Some of his words where dreary to me but I continued to listen.
“I do hope that in time after this you will have seen our true intent in this matter and you will come to understand this as our only method of help for you”
The glass I had been holding dropped immediately to the ground and I was immediately brought to my knees. I gasping for air and as his last words echoed inside of me I fell into darkness and a deep sleep came over me.
 
 
The Twin Cities, 2nd Day before Arrival, Sanction Chambers 
“This is truly uncalled for!” Reaverer yelled allowed, in the 10th of many meetings that where quickly held after Leon’s disappearance. The Sanction members present in the city along with representatives and the Royal family where all present at each.
“Will the Holy ground truly abandon us in this fight? This is absurd!” Numus said.
“Leader we will not be able to recover from this blow…our forces are limited as it is” Luther said to the Antwan the true leader of the Sanction.
“ I am well aware of this turn of events from the holy grounds but this does not change the fact that this city must hold. Now more then ever they will turn to us, The Sanction of Immorick for aid in this dire situation and with the Twilight no where insight I admit from the deepness of my heart that our survival in this fight will be scarce” Antwan said.
“Then why are we fighting at all and where did the Twilight holder go!” More disputes from the Sanction where imminent with the turn of events coming.
John looked around from unfamiliar face to unfamiliar face at the sheer number of military leaders and representatives of all of the nations that had come to aid the Twin cities. Everyday the numbers grew even more but by the sound of it that wouldn’t be enough no matter how many nations soldiers’ lives we had to borrow.
He looked over at the princess who looked as worried and confused on the matter as he was. By the estimates of the neighboring cities Hell would soon be upon in an estimate of two days time and things where not looking any better. The Sanction wasn’t able to hold their own in line let alone an army of almost 320,000 men. Time was running out John thought as another fist fight between leaders broke out ending in both of them being expelled from the meeting.
 
 
I awoke chained and hoisted in the air as the sunlight from the ceiling above burned down on m back. I looked up to see two steel chains holding my body suspended in the air by my arms and two latched to the ground from my legs.
What the hell I said looking around.
They had taken off my shirt and attached the chains deep into my skin where there wasn’t even an inch of room.
“I see your awake” A low deep gurgling voice said from the corner of the room. The light from above only showed on me so I couldn’t see much past my own body.
“ Why did you do this to me?” I said trying to break free but to no avail.
“A test some might call it…but for the time being it is your trial” the voice echoed through out the room.
I didn’t answer. I didn’t know of anything to actually say to that.
“How you are now…returning to those who cherish you would be a waste…you will throw mind, body, and soul onto that battle field and you will lose” It said.
“How would you know if I’d die?” I asked.
“ The Twilight does not fully recognize you and you still do not grasp all of what it can give you. Without its full strength you are nothing but a mere man and not fit to be able to wield such a godly gift”.
“Who gives you the right to tell me I’m not fit for this power?” I said.
“Prove me wrong…break free from the chains that bind you…only the Twilight’s true power can break them” It said.
“Fine…” I answered back.
I concentrated deep into my mind trying to muster strength but it didn’t come. I lashed and thrashed about trying to get a glimpse of its power guiding me but it was non-existent.
“As I said…how you are now you will never destroy hell and the next battle you attempt you will perish before hell’s might and fury”.
“Then what the hell is the point of chaining me up like this!” I demanded.
“You will find truth beyond truth…meaning in which all must find to muster strength to continue…”
“What does that mean?” I asked.
“ Why do you fight?” It asked.
“ I fight to save all of our world what do you think I fight for?” I said.
“No…that is the answer that everyone wishes you to believe and as it is spat at you time and time again you have begun to except that as an answer but if that where truly what you fought for then its power would not be so faint in you”.
“Then what is the right answer?” I asked.
“When you know the answer for sure you will be able to return and save the ones you love…but if you do not find the answer…you will condemn them all to death”.
“What!” I exclaimed,” You can’t be serious. You can’t keep me hear!”
“ I will do as I must if you are to secure a future for yourself or any other. Find in yourself and find the strength so that when you return you will have the power to protect those whose lives mean most to you”.
I didn’t understand what he was really getting at about the question but Lenneth and Damien had both mentioned me not being able to draw upon all the Twilight and by now even I had noticed it. If he’s right about my return then it wouldn’t help anyone for me not to have the strength to protect them. I’d only be letting them down…but if I can’t find whatever strength he is talking about then I’ll leave them and they will surely die, and I couldn’t have that no matter what. It was like he read me like a book. Obviously he knew something’s that had happened with the Sanction and took from all of that. Yeah I’ll admit that because it had been said to me for so long about what I was suppose to be protecting I just said it as an answer. What was I really fighting for I wonder. Why am I risking so much blood for all these people…people who in the past never knew nor cared for my well-being. My head started to throb violently and the sun was setting, as the light from above started growing dimmer and dimmer. The openings on the ceiling began to close and in minutes I was left in a room of pure darkness. I was lost in thought and now it seemed like I was lost period. The pain from my head brought me to my knees but I couldn’t bend over. The chains where tight and I could hardly move at all. My hand didn’t even have enough room to touch my own face. My body just became lifeless in the hours it took for me to finally sleep through all the pain.
 
 
 The Twin Cities, Day of Arrival,

The sun shone high on the afternoon of Hell’s arrival. No words where spoken between the Sanction and everyone was nervous. John armored down as much to protect himself. He would be commanding the 97th line and he would also be in the line closest to Lenneth. It made him feel relived. Leon may have been a hope to everyone but he kept John’s mind at ease. Even death didn’t faze him while he was around but now…it was the day that they had been waiting for and Leon wasn’t anywhere to be found. A lot of doubt ran through everyone’s minds. Soldiers grew hostile and the thought of a battle where death was certain seemed to terrify them. Even the great King who had brought so many nations together was distraught that mourning. It could only take Hell a day or two to take everything in this world from him. On this day was the first that he could say he cowered in his own castle. He feared for his people’s lives and his own life. He feared for his family’s lives more then anything. The mourning went by sluggish as men took their stations on land and sea and the women and children packed themselves tightly inside the castle.
Will she hate me the mighty King thought to himself placing on his chain mail and latching his sword to his side. Will she never forgive what we have done to that boy to try and make him what we hoped he would be…was it wrong of us to try.
These thoughts and more swirled through his mind as he finished getting ready, but the time for questioning his motives wasn’t now. If he stepped out his door with even a slight bit of doubt he would be putting even more lives in jeopardy and his men would be slaughtered. They may not have their savior and he may never come for them but a king who is willing to die on the same battlefield, as his soldiers should be plenty. The king wanted to take on the front lines in the mist of the battle. He felt that he had to redeem himself at all the lives he called to be sacrificed for this battle. For all the people who’s lives had to be used for the city to stand as long as it had. If their destiny is death then it will be here and on this day and there will be no escaping that truth should it be the case.
He took a deep breath and took his helmet and put it at his side as he opened his doors. Three of his finest generals awaited him down the hall. The King’s stern face assured them that they will fight win or lose with all the heart and soul of the people here. He briskly walked down the hallway and told the Generals to await his arrival. He stepped into his daughter room and took a look at her. She was still looking out the window to that same place where Leon had disappeared. The second she saw him she ran over and hugged him tight, and he felt that this battle and its blood shed and lives would all be worth it if they could just save the lives in the castle. His life felt like the insignificant pawn he explained to Leon it was. He could see the entire board and he could see his tiny role in the entire thing. He knew there was no changing it and that he had to play his part. What will happen afterwards is completely up to those who will survive but as for the King. This would be his grave, and many more of the many who follow him. He embraced his daughter like he had never before. He didn’t expect to have the opportunity again. The chance to be a father again, the chance to be able to let his true feelings and hurt out. When he left her room and took his last look at how much of a woman she had grown up to be it almost brought a tear to his eye. He wasn’t her father anymore though. In the battle he was about to take part in he needed no disturbances and nothing clouding his mind. He would have to drive his men to their fullest and become like the demons he was fighting against because they where not going to be getting reinforcements. All that had come to stand where hear and the battlefield and grave were present. He stepped out onto the castle steps as Rows and lines of soldiers cheered and applauded in his wake.  He took a deep breath and from his sheath raised his sword up high in the air for all to see. The soldiers seeing this yelled louder and all rose theirs swords in the name of all they would fight for and all they where about to lose. The sight of his men and the many men who came on that day was a memory thoroughly engraved in his mind. The soldiers where stationed around the entire castle. The navies of many nations where stationed on the Twin cities borders. The Sanctions final meeting was taking place and it would be one he did not intend to miss. He quickly went back into to the castle and down to the Sanction chambers. The meeting had already begun so he took his seat and waited a time in which to jump into the conversation.
“So this is it Eh?” Reaverer said solemnly,” Only half a million are here…this isn’t gonna end well”.
“On such short notice half a million is lucky though…to win such a fight would take over a million itself” Gabriel said.
“Such optimism to those who are blessed divinely over all the men you speak down to. We are present in this fight and we will make their forces way over a million. The 14 of us will stand strong in this fight,” Luther bellowed over all the chatter.
“How much difference can the 14 of us make. We are wasting our lives when we could be putting it to better use helping the Twilight holder” Atreyu said.
“You’re siding with that basterd who ran off and is condemning us all to death?” Numus said.
“I didn’t have high hopes for him before but this defiantly puts my finger on my decision. Uncertainty is one thing we all share but cowardliness is unacceptable in our ranks” Rune said.
“And what would you have done?” Lenneth said,” What would any of you have done in his place.”.
The room grew silent with his words.
“His decision is his and his alone and is not to be questioned by no man,” Lenneth said.
“This is blasphemy why are you taking his side against men and women who sit no more then a few feet from you ready to give their lives while he hides in the mountains and cowers at his defeat” Reaverer said.
“The men and women who sit before me may be ready to give their lives for this cause as are we all but no one has been fighting this war up until now…Everyday is a constant threat to himself and everything he comes in contact with. Every person whose life has meaning in his eyes he cannot protect. You have lost faith in which has never present in him. If I fight and die today to prove to him that I stand by what I believe in then he will save us. I know his feelings towards us…in what we’ve done and what we still must do for our own survival. I believe he will come to our aid if not today then for the people who still live and hope who haven’t seen the battle and blood shed of this war thus far. If we cannot prove anything on this day defeat or victory it is that men and women of what ever nation stand to defend their homes…and that there is still hope here” Lenneth to his seat as small mutters circulated the room.
“He speaks truth and feeling in his words and if someone dare have something to comment to them then please stand before this Sanction and let their voice be heard.” Alexander said.
The room was quite as the members glanced from each other for approval.
“Then it is settled in deed. We will march on this day with those who share a common dream, a common goal, a common future and we will become history. With or without the aid of the Twilight we will firmly hold to our beliefs and homes till death do us part” Antwan said.
The entire room immediately stood and bowed their heads. Even John who had never been accustomed to how the Sanction ordered them
selves were able to stand and pray in the hour of a great catastrophe.
John felt for the first time of being in the Sanction that they where all finally in the same boat and status, rank, or power finally didn’t mean a thing anymore.
After a moment in prayer the Sanction was finally dispersed to their lines of duty. Each Sanction member was given control of a line of men and where each given specific orders in which to utilize them at proper times in battle. The Sanction members needed to stay alive until the very end and if they where to sustain injury they where to fall back and use their line as their cover if need be. It felt so cowardly to almost everyone including the soldiers. They where to throw their lives away at the single command of a member of the Sanction.
We were important John thought to himself, but life has no equal and even if it is to win the battle or some hope of it. It didn’t feel right at all.
John decided to stay at his post and not talk to the princess or Lenneth. It really felt like he was waiting for his own death, and pictures of what he couldn’t from before brought his soul down and he couldn’t think of anything besides failure to protect again.
 
 
 
 
My arms felt lifeless, as it seems that as time went by the chains imbedded into my flesh grew tighter. The voice that had talked to me before wasn’t present anymore and I couldn’t tell weather mere minutes or hours had passed by. The darkness brought back to me all the doubts I had kept far away from reach. Sleep was damn near impossible and the pain of being held in the air worsened. It actually felt like blood was seeping through the chains but the room was kept constantly dark and I couldn’t see even the chains that bound me. I called out to the voice again but it didn’t answer back to me.
“What day is it…I have to know” I called to the shadows.
I wasn’t actually expecting the answer when it came but when I heard it I felt crushed.
“The day of arrival…you are too late. They will die…but they have chosen to be symbol in this war to men and women across the world.” The voice said.
“No…they can’t …let me out!” I yelled almost my arm trying to break free,” I can make it! I can still fight!”
“And then what…die honorably in battle while you leave the rest of the world to die with you…that is not your destiny. We will keep you here…until the time is right. They will need to be sacrificed in order to bring your power from the darkness in which it fell”
“Stop fracken commanding me around! This ain’t your damn decision its mine! I’m control of my own life!” I yelled.
“What control…” it retorted back.
“Your just like them…” I said miserably,” Your not controlling my actions. Their not yours to make!”
“Your going to run away like you did them then?”
“…”
“You left as your own decision no matter what consequences of coming here and that we cannot change” It said.
“I can fight…it doesn’t matter if I lose. Their all gonna die don’t you understand! Don’t you give a damn about their lives!”
“I care deeply for the lose that we will have to endure, but it is for the better of our world…so I must”.
“That’s Bull shoot! You’re leaving them to die. You won’t let me go back”
 “What you haven’t figured out is that you can’t save them. They will die on either side of how you look at all of this”
“I don’t care!! It doesn’t matter anymore! It never mattered!”
“ Death was never an obstacle for you and throwing your own life away was never a second guess but in this day in age a life is worth much more”
“I can’t leave them to die…I’ll die with them. If I can’t save them now then it wouldn’t matter…I’d have nothing to protect if their gone” A tear rolled down my cheek.
“Then you know what you must do…I cannot help you any longer” The voice faded at these last few words and I never heard it again.
I grabbed tightly to the chains and began ripping tearing at them. I pulled and pulled until I could here bones cracking, but I endured them. It was nothing to the pain of what I pictured the battle to be like. I could see scene after scene…every one dying. Just because I wasn’t their to fight and defend them. I watched them kill John and every Sanction member…I watched them kill my sister and Kayla several times over. It was a burnt memory in my mind that I couldn’t erase. Pain didn’t matter to me anymore I had to get out. I was caged dog with food just outside my reach. I started screaming out as my visions became more clear and repeated and rattled through my brain. Their faces…their bodies…dead and wasteland of blood filled the city. No matter how hard I tried to shake the memory engraved into me it was constantly there. Constantly haunting my every thought. I couldn’t help it…I had to save them…I didn’t want any of them to die. No more Kyoko’s that I’m helpless to save. No more sacrifice for other people to continue on living…no more deaths out of my hands. I screamed aloud louder then I had ever yelled in my life. It felt like my body was caving in but I didn’t scream for the pain. It was like my cry was calling to them. I refuse to let them go and be controlled by another’s actions again. I’d save them this time…I’d save the Sanction…I’d save her.
 I was consumed in a blinding light, and this feeling I could only say happened to me once in my life. The voice from so long ago called out to me. Except it was different from before. She was thought…she was my only image…and I’d do anything in my power to save her.
The Twilight enveloped my body like never before and I felt strength surge through my body 100 times greater then I had felt. The chains where repelled with only the movement of my hand and the entire room was filled with such a blistering light that it is exploded. The warmness of the Twilight’s power gave me strength and I looked over the city. I had pure malice and rage for the men who had driven me to this but I had to forget about them. The trip getting me here even with the Twilight took a little more then a day. It would be hard to make it in time.
I flew down from the mountain holy city and was about to begin my ascend back to the Twin cities when a voice called to me.
I could see from the ground Damien and the entire Sanction behind him riding on white stallions that shown almost as brightly I did.
“Will follow close behind!” Damien yelled as the army of Sanction members began moving.
I smirked. Damien had always had my back, and even when faced with a dire situation like this he was still looking out for me.
I directed my attention to the Twin cities I didn’t look back. Even with what I had gained I was skeptical in thinking that I would make it in time to make a difference.
 
 
 
The Twin Cities, The Unholy Battle Field

“Get down!!”
John wiped the blood from his face as he pulled back and sent his line in as a last defense. John had never seen so much death in his entire life and it made him sick to his stomach just glancing. Men where ripped apart by demon wave after wave and their wasn’t a line of soldiers that held past a few of them. We where barley able to keep their advance from going any further. The 98th line of soldiers quickly where sent into battle as John fell back towards the castle.
John coughed hard at the several gashes in his stomach and side. This wasn’t a war he thought to himself it’s a massacre. The soldiers didn’t even stand a chance to these things.
John looked up as the castles defenses where being sent into play. The lines of soldiers where severely weakening and the navy had almost been demolished completely. The demons came in late afternoon on that day and John remembered nervously waiting amongst the ranks.
“John” Lenneth yelled running over to Him.
Archers posted on the castle walls lead a full assault to the demons advancing but fell prey to the many demons that flew over the men on the ground.
“It’s falling apart,” John said as Lenneth helped him to his feet.
“I know…the defenses are crumbling and in twice the speed expected” Lenneth said helping John back into the castle.
The Sanction members whose lines had already been demolished stayed waiting inside the first hall of the castle, Gabriel, Lenneth, and 2 or 3 others from other part of the Sanction where the only ones.
The King had marched on the front lines with Antwan and Luther at his side and in all of the commotion it wasn’t even possible for him to keep up with them.
“It’s horrible…We’ve only got 30 or so lines of soldiers left and the castle last resort defenses have almost been annihilated before their use” Numus said.
“I didn’t think it would end like this…never like this” Gabriel said not even able to get to his feet,” We where lucky to have been able to have fallen back. I saw many of the others get killed before my eyes…” Reaverer said.
“It won’t be long until they reach us here and our forces even within the Sanction have been almost completely destroyed…half of you couldn’t even fight should the need come.” Numus said.
“If I must…I will muster all the strength I can and give my last breath to defend this place” Lenneth said wincing at his own injuries.
“As will we all” Gabriel said.
The gates to the castle opened up again and Luther staggered in.
He held is right shoulder with his left arm as blood seeped from it. He collapsed only after taking a few feet forward.
Everyone crowded around him as he spoke.
“This is everyone…” He said,” the 107th line has just made their stand and this is all that is left of the Sanction…”
“What of the king?” Gabriel asked.
“He fights gallantly at Antwan’s side and they intend to die on this battle field. “ Luther barley got out before a long hard cough of blood come out.
“We don’t have much time before they break through all of our defenses and in that case we are the last defense.” Luther said trying to get to his feet.
“Where really gonna die aren’t we…” Numus said.
Gabriel sighs,” Yeah…I really did hope Leon would come…”
“We can’t depend on him forever…it was our rash actions that drove him to his decision and it is still our battle to fight. Bandage your worst wounds up as much as possible. It won’t take long before we are defending the women and children on this castle alone.”
Luther limped back outside leaving the rest of us to fend for our wounds.
It was already late into the night and everything seemed to have gone from bad to the worst possible scenario. Half the Sanction still alive could barley stand and they weren’t going to put up much of a fight. It looked imminent that the castle would fall and it hurt to think of it. The women in the castle brought them new armor and they where battered but where determined to stand until they had been completely killed off. Luther arrived in a few moments earlier with the last few soldiers still alive outside. The locked the door down heavily and began there last stand.  The King sustained large injuries and was barley able to move at all. The last few soldiers where going to hold off the last courtyard before the Twin cities would truly fall. No miracle seemed plausible and no escape from this fate was even possible. They listened and waited as the demons broke down the door piece by piece and they aimed the last of their weapons for the exact moment their last line of defense was crushed. The door collapsed inward and arrows and sword ripped through to the other side as wave after wave of demons pilled through. The Sanction members took the front of the line as the last few soldiers took the back with arrows and anything else they could use for support. John stood shield and sword to Lenneth as they used the last of what they had to keep each and every person alive until the end. They formed a wall and defense that was able to hold for a while but eventually tore down. The demons ran through and the last of the soldiers where killed off as Sanction members where beginning to fall one by one. John’s leg cracked under the weight of demons talons and he was brought to his knees in pain. He looked up to the sky as its talons came down on his shoulder. Time seemed to slow down for him as others where reaching their final limits, and the end drew near. John did wonder where Leon had gone. About what they had wanted to do at the end of all of this for Kyoko and all the dead who had fallen. John thought to himself that Leon would have to do it in both their honors. He knew he wasn’t going to make it. He pierced his sword through the demon closest to him as blood smeared onto his face and he fell to his knees in pain. Lenneth intercepted a blow for John taking it through the chest to keep him alive. His two blades slashed cutting the demon, until the sheer number of them soon brought him down. When John looked up for his last glance as their final wall had been broken he saw hope. The light from the mountains. He couldn’t see him directly but he knew who it was, and with one wave of his sword the demons where engulfed in a wave of light. The Sanction members where stunned in amazement at his power but the numbers grew. Leon’s Sword drew high in the air as the sky parted with his movement. It was almost as though the heavens themselves lended him strength as the large beam of holy rays destroyed everything in its path. John and the rest smiled trying to bring their last strength up to stand. The last of the Sanction appeared shortly after Leon did and with the last of their strength they fought side by side in the last struggle. That the light that illuminated the sky was never forgotten.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment