Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Barkwater Streamtail

It's about a sea otter named Strike Speedwater, once a cabin boy to a band of sea rats, and a river ottermaid maid named Barkwater Streamtail, a lone traveling otter, and where the road of friendship takes them.

Chapter 2 - Barkwater Streamtail

Chapter 2 - Barkwater Streamtail


10 seasons later:



Barkwater Streamtail, named for her bark looking fur, was a young ottermaid. She wore a dark green tunic to match her eyes. Her only weapon was a javaline, which also served as a walking stick, for she was a traveler. She had just finished visiting her friends, the McNales. She was walking along River Moss up to Salamandastron, the great mountain of the Badger Lords and the famous Long Patrol, when she spotted a dark object on the bank. She ran up to it. It was a sea otter. He looked 17 seasons old, one season older than her, he wore rags, and was bruised, as if he had received many a beating. She could tell he needed help right away. The McNales's house wasn't to far away. Maybe she could carry him. As she half dragged, half carried him, she thought to herself, Next time I'm going to study herbs so I won't have to go through with this.



She was greeted by a young squirrelmaid, about the age of 13. “Back so soon? You usually don't coom back fer months!” she joked. Her family had come from the Highlands, seeking a new home.



“Stow the jokes Laya!” Barkwater said, struggling to keep him up,” He's `urt! Bad! He needs `elp right away!”



For the next hour, Laya's mother tended to the sea otter. All the while, the ottermaid and the squirrelmaid played around with Laya's little brother Chugga. Chugga was a very hyper little dibbun. He also loved eating, so he was a bit chubby.



“There! All doon!” Laya's mother said, “He should be fine. Strange thing is, you told me he was on tha bank of Rivah Moss, right Barkwater? Weell Ah've never known a sea otter to coom so far inland. Ah guess we'll find out when he wakes up. Goodnight dears.”



That night, Barkwater thought on what Laya's mom said. It was true, that sea otters never came so far inland, only if they had to. In all her travels, she had only seen sea otters in one place; the beach. Her thoughts were interrupted by a low moaning sound. She looked over at the otter. He seemed to be rolling, the best he could, and moaning. He opened his eyes. They were a soft brown. They gazed up into her piercing green ones. She saw so many things, fear, hatred, pain, sorrow, and many other things she wouldn't have ever been able to explain. He atomically sat up, but laid back down moaning, “Sorry I dozed off, Cookie. It won't happen again!” He flinched, as if ready to receive a beating.



Thinking of what to do next, she decided to comfort him. “There, there. Yore among friends. We won't `arm you.” She told him.



He looked around the room, and then back on Barkwater. “Who… who are you?” He asked.



She looked surprised as she answered, “Why, I'm Barkwater Streamtail. And you?”



Wincing with pain, he said, “I'm Strike Speedwater.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Allester on March 13, 2006, 5:36:17 AM

Allester on
Allesterstill good I've modled my story dialouge after his work 7.7 stars

Redwall_Artist on February 3, 2006, 11:44:22 PM

Redwall_Artist on
Redwall_ArtistReally!!! So you've met him? Do you live in England? Sorry so many questions.