Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Pasts Told

It's about a sea otter named Strike Speedwater, once a cabin boy to a band of sea rats, and a river ottermaid maid named Barkwater Streamtail, a lone traveling otter, and where the road of friendship takes them.

Chapter 3 - Pasts Told

Chapter 3 - Pasts Told


As Strike recovered throughout the week, Barkwater learned a great many things about him. Like he was originally a cabin boy to a band of searats. What she couldn't get over was how he looked at her, as if she had done a heroic deed. She blushed whenever he looked at her. She still remembered what she had seen in his eyes. It scared her, but she was still very curious about this strange otter.



One day he finally healed, and Barkwater was ready to travel again, but there was one problem. Strike wanted to go with her. After constant begging, she finally agreed. She couldn't believe she was going with someone, after all he travels, she had, almost, never had a traveling partner, and those who did come with her only stayed with her for a day or two, which he highly doubted he would do.



Barkwater picked up her pack and headed for the door. “Bye Laya, take good care of Chugga.”



“Mes no needs to be watched. Mes de one who watches afta Laya.” Came the little voice of Chugga.



Barkwater hugged him and said, “You keep doing that. Where would yer old mum and sis be without ya?” Chugga blushed at this response.



Barkwater hugged Laya's mom and thanked her for the stay. Strike merely thanked them for caring for him. And with that, Barkwater Streamtail and Strike Speedwater, left.



After a half hour without speaking, Strike said, “I thank you most kindly for saving me. I will serve your needs and wants.”



“Well you can tell me why you were so far inland and why you were a searat cabin boy.”



And so for the next hour or so, Strike told her that once lived by the shores of Salamandatron, but never really met the famous Long Patrol. He had been playing with his older sister Edider, and how she died. He told Barkwater that he vowed he would keep her memory alive with the help of the little dagger- that's when Barkwater noticed it. He told that he had been made the new cabin boy, tortured and slaved. He learned the ways of searats, how to avoid them when they were most dangerous, and their schedules. A few days from when Barkwater found him, the ship had wrecked upon the shallows. He must have floated down River Moss without knowing.



“Now I'm curious about you. Where did you come from, why do you travel alone?”



Barkwater had only recited her past two times before. But she knew he'd pester her till she told him.



“Well, I grew up a little south of Redwall Abbey. I had no siblings, so I was lonely most of the time. To make up time I would practice my survival skills. When I was old enough ta leave, that's exactly what I did. I've met dozens of beasts, been many places, and no one `as ever traveled with me for a long time. I've made a little song about myself, I guess I could tell ya if you wanted me too.”



“Why not. It will take up tha time.”



Barkwater sang in a strong clear voice, kind of like water flowing.



Alone I am,

Alone I'll stay,

Until we meet another day.

It all started with a young ottermaid,

Alas at her home she would not have stayed.

Seeking adventure,

She took her javelin and left one day.

She roamed the lands,

Fighting with her own bare hands.

Along the current,

She swam so freely,

Nothing to worry about really.

She might stop here,

Or swim right through,

There's no telling what she'll do.

Alone I am,

Alone I'll stay,

Until we meet another day.



At the end of her song it was quiet. Strike kept walking ahead. Finally he said, “Where are we going?”



Barkwater thought for a moment then said, “We're taking our own nice time getting' to Salamandastron.”



“Then that means we're goin' towards tha coast.” He said stiffening as he did.



No one spoke a single word until lunch.




Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Allester on March 29, 2006, 9:57:58 AM

Allester on
Allestercoolness 7.7 stars