Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Salamandastron

It's about a sea otter named Strike Speedwater, once a cabin boy to a band of sea rats, and a river ottermaid maid named Barkwater Streamtail, a lone traveling otter, and where the road of friendship takes them.

Chapter 7 - Salamandastron

Chapter 7 - Salamandastron


A few minutes after the vermin fled, Sabrepaw showed up with a small squad behind her. Fwirdle ran to Sabrepaw. “I thought we was bally done for, wot wot!” he cried.



“I wouldn't leave yah to die, yah big leveret,” Sabrepaw said sarcastically. “Besides, who else would save yah, huh wot?” Sabrepaw turned to the two otters, who were looking at each other with a weird expression. “Break it up already. We gotta get back to the mountain!”



Strike turned to Sabrepaw. “How far is it?” he asked.



A lanky hare with a mustachio, a monocle, and several medals on his bright pink tunic, walked up to Strike. “Well, we're only an hour away, wot. The squad and I were gonna go on nother patrol, when Sabrepaw here came runnin' up. She explained that ye had a bit of a rat problem, wot wot. Mr. Fwirdle! Get a hold of yerself!”



Barkwater stepped up to the hare. She had a quizzed look on her face as she asked, “Excuse me askin', Matey, but who are ye?”



Fwirdle stepped up. His face still had the look he had before, like something impossible had happened. “That's the bally colonel!!!!!” he exclaimed.



“You mean Sabrepaw's dad?!” the otters chorused together.



The colonel threw an elegant leg, “Colonel Windpaw Warwind, at yah service, marm, wot wot.”



………………………………………………………………………………………………



About an hour later, the group reached the famous Salamandastron. They were greeted by a booming, challenging voice, rather than a welcoming committee, “Who dares stand at the door of Salamandastron, the Fire Mountain, and home of the famous Long Patrol?!”



The hares didn't seem startled by this at all. Suddenly, Windpaw yelled up to the mountain, “Colonel Winpaw Warwind and Squad F!”



Sabrepaw called up after her father, “Sabrepaw Minksey Warwind, Fwirdle Tusslefur, and two guests!”



The door in front of them opened. In the doorway stood a giant badger with a brown stripe on his muzzle. “Then welcome,” he said in a voice that sounded like the challenging one, but softer and friendlier.



Windpaw walked up to the big badger, and tried to swing a paw around his sholders, only reaching half way there. He smiled up at him and said, “Ah, Oakstripe, yah old rascal, yah haven't even made us a welcome dinnah, I bet, wot wot.”



The badger, obviously Lard Oakstripe, looked down at he colonel, “Well what's this? Only two hours an' you come back to the door asking for food. Haven't I broke yah of the habit?”



Windpaw put on a mock glare at Oakstripe. “At least some of us bally chaps have manners, wot wot,” he said before going inside the mountain.



Oakstripe turned to his guests. He looked both over then said to Barky, “Welcome back Miss Barkwater Streamtail. Glad you could visit.”



“I'm glad to be back, Lord Oakstripe. May I intoduce Strike Speedwater?” Barky said, motioning to Strike. “He lived with, until recently, with the sea rat capitain, Flogtail.”



The Badger Lord nodded gravely, “Ah yes. Flogtail. He has caused much distress among the shores.” Oaktripe motioned them inside. “But we can talk over dinner.”



Inside the mess hall, dozens of hares sat at long tables, all chatting. Oakstripe went to the front of a big table with lots of officers, along with Colonel Windpaw with a female hare at his shoulder. Sabrepaw motioned the otters over to sit with her, Fwirdle, and some other hares their age.



After the duo sat down, introductions were made. Sabrepaw did the talking. “Barky, Strike, this is Fleetear, Roald, Mimly, Honeyleaf, and Rayla. Everyone, this is Barkwater Streamtail, and Strike Speedwater, wot wot.”



They were interrupted by Oakstripe's booming voice. Immediately, everyone became quiet. “Today we have two guests with us. Barkwater Streamtail, whom some of you might know from the last time she visited, and Strike Speedwater.” Everyone's haeds turned to see the newcomers. “Now I thank the chef for her wonderful meals, without which we would starve.” The chef blushed in the doorway. “And I thank the Long Patrol for all the great things they have done. You may now eat.” Steaming food was placed on the table, where the hares of the Long Patrol started scoffing it all down.



Between bites, Strike asked Sabrepaw, “Who's that lady hare with yer dad, matey?”



Sabrepaw grinned. “That's me bally mum. Lady Layna.”



After supper, the otters were shown to their rooms. As soon as Strike fell on the bed, he went into a deep sleep.

………………………………………………………………………………………………



In Strike's dream, a mouse in armor walked up. A magnificent sword was at his side. Strike looked in his eyes and saw boldness and determination, but also kindness and a protecter. Beside him was an ottermaid. Strike went to run up to the ottermaid. As far as he knew, he was seven again, running up to hug his sister Edider.



Edider smiled at Strike, hugged him, then walked back to the mouse warrior. The mouse spoke, “Strike Speedwater. You must find Flogtail and stop him. As we speak, he is headed to the coast to cause chaos. You must stop him. The fait of many creatures lays in your paws, along with your sister's dagger.”



Strike spoke with a not so sure voice. “In my paws? I can't stop Flogtail!”



Edider spoke to Strike this time. Her voice soothing, just like Strike remembered it, “Strike, ye are not seven any more. Like Martin said, ye must stop them before he gets our family, and other like them. You must do this.” She went to hug Strike again. “Until next time ye little rascal.” She stepped ack to with the warrior mouse.



“Wait! Edider! Come back!” Strike cried, but there wasn't anyone but him around. They had both vanished. Only the voice of the warrior mouse, Martin the Warrior, spoke.



“You must stop him Strike. You must stop him.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Allester on March 31, 2006, 5:54:49 AM

Allester on
Allesternestinkentallis 7.7 stars