Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - When Two Elves Come

I am starting a series. The first book, Saffire, is what I'm writing now. Enjoy.

Chapter 1 - When Two Elves Come

Chapter 1 - When Two Elves Come


Looming deep in the Elvin Forest is a deep dark secret. A secret that was hidden from existence for centuries by dragon and elvin magic, during the days of the first dragons and elves. Now it has broke from its magical cage and is looming in the forest. Staying to the shadows, it looms like a panther, ready to pounce on its prey. Worse, no one knows it exists. It waits for the right moment to attack the elvin cities inside the forest. When it does, it will be chaos.



The only one who remembers the monster is a very old dragon who was a barely more than a hatchling when they locked it away. But all the dragons think him crazy, all except for a sapphire dragon, to small for her age. She alone trusts this old dragon's tales. Not very many dragons think she can accomplish anything, some even want her to leave, but the old dragon, though he may be called crazy, is very, very wise. He knows she will do great things. Maybe even stop the monster that is waiting to prey on the elves and dragons alike.





Saffire listened to Silvertongue's story. It was about the monster that all the elves and dragons had together sealed it into a cage where it remained forever when old Silvertoungue was little more than a hatchling. He had told this many times before, but all the dragons thought it was just a tale, except for Saffire. Saffire knew it was real. It had to be! She listened to all of Silvertoungue's stories, imagining herself as the hero. She knew she wasn't bound for glory, but it was nice to imagine. Like everyone said, how could a little dragon like her accomplish anything great? She still looked like a hatchling, but she was much older than one. She just hadn't grown.



She looked over at her best friend, Seatah. The white dragon was half listening to Silvertoungue, occupying herself with a piece if grass. The only one who would be as interested in this story would be Page, a fourteen-year-old elvinmaid, who looked seven, and always had her nose in a book.



Page and Saffire had a secret friendship, for the dragons and elves had had an argument many decades ago, and hadn't spoken to each other for that long. None of the other dragons Saffire's age had even seen an elf before. But Saffire hadn't heard from Page for a while now. She wondered what was wrong.



Silvertoungue had finished his story when Saffire's brother, Deca Jon, who always had a smile that no one could wipe off along with his cheery attitude, flew upon the dragons. He spoke with excitement, “An elf has come to the Dragon Prairie! Racco has arranged a council meeting to see what the elf has to say, or rather elves. He wants everyone to come.”



Silvertoungue spoke in his deep understanding voice to the child-by-nature dragon,” Thank you very much Deca Jon. We will be there.”



Deca Jon nodded, and then flew off. The young dragons flew after him; those who couldn't fly yet rode on Silvertoungue's back.



During the flight, luckily Saffire could fly despite how young she looked, Saffire thought. Could it be Page? Dace Jon had said elves. Maybe it was page and a companion with her looking for her. But Page knew better than that.



Once they reached the council, Saffire saw it wasn't Page, but two elvinmaids about the age of thirteen, one a blonde and one a brunette, both looked like they had been scared half to death by something. They looked alike, so Saffire thought they might be twins. But why had the elves sent such young of their kind, wouldn't they be nearly exhausted? Saffire remembered Page had told her that young elves were very, very strong. But why had the elves come here, after the decades of living separate?



Any more thoughts were cut off from the very scared looking brunette elf. “The elves have been attacked in some of our cities by a monster know only in the books written centuries ago.”



Saffire saw Silvertoungue stiffen and knew it had to be the monster of his stories.





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



Meanwhile, Page stood frozen to the ground, watching the monster crush everything in its path.



She was hidden alone in a cavern that only she knew about. She sighed, knowing that two of her cousins had not known where she was and had gone to get help from the dragons.



Her dog, Lilliebug, whined, pawing at her leg.



Page knew, of course, that Saffire would come rescue her, for Saffire knew about this cavern too. Not knowing what to do, she sat with Lilliebug, on a rock, waiting.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

The_wonderfully_evil_Hubert on June 30, 2006, 7:36:03 AM

The_wonderfully_evil_Hubert on
The_wonderfully_evil_HubertWow! I really like it!! Yeah, I'll keep readin'...

Allester on April 9, 2006, 11:47:52 AM

Allester on
Allestercool 7.8 stars