Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Flying and Brownies

I am starting a series. The first book, Saffire, is what I'm writing now. Enjoy.

Chapter 4 - Flying and Brownies

Chapter 4 - Flying and Brownies


Saffire's feet hurt. Never in all her days had she walked so much. Glancing over at Seatah, Saffire saw that her feet hurt as well. “Why can't we fly?” Saffire complained.



“We'd cover more ground,” Seatah put in.



Both of the elves stopped and looked back. An odd thought came to Saffire. Analigh had blue eyes and Analay had green eyes. But both of them were piercing straight through her armor-like scales.



“Get over it, why don't yah?” Analigh snapped.



“We walk all the time. So stop your complainin',” Analay said, annoyance in her voice.



“Well you've never flown like we have!” the dragons chorused together.



“Well, in case yah didn't notice, we don't have wings!” Analay yelled.



Seatah's angry face disappeared with a look Saffire knew only too well, Seatah's thinking face.



“Why don't you two hop on our backs and we'll be able to fly?” the white dragon said.



“Okay!” Analay rushed over o Seatah and hopped on her back, grinning as she did.



Analigh didn't look too happy. “There is no way she's gonna be able to carry me,” she said, motioning towards Saffire.



“I can carry two times my weight, thank you very much. I may look it, but I'm not a hatchling.” The sapphire dragon said with pride.



Walking over to her ride, Analigh muttered under her breath. “If I fall, I'm blamin' you.”





Despite her earlier gloominess, Analigh laughed while soaring through the clouds. Her twin was equally happy.



“Just think,” Analay yelled over at Analigh, “we're the first elves to do this in decades!”



“And we're the first dragons to do this for decades.” Saffire yelled at Seatah.



Everyone was quiet, enjoying the breeze hitting gently against their faces. Then Saffire had a thought. “Do you two know Page?”



Everyone stared at her, Seatah questioning, the elves awestruck.



Analay cleared her throat. “She's our cousin, but how do you know her?”



Saffire took a deep breath. “Well, we met while I was wondering around the border of the Dragon Prairie and the Elvin Forest. She was exploring like I was. We decided to be friends in secret. I showed her some of the secret hideaways on the prairie, and she showed me so secret places in the forest. She mentioned once about having twin cousins, but we got carried away. She was the only one I could talk to about Silvertoungue's stories, no one else believed them. Do you know if she's all right? We haven't met in ages.”



The twins looked at each other, sadness showed plainly on their faces. “We don't know where she is. She disappeared after the monster came,” Analigh said in a low voice.



“That's another reason we came instead of some grown-ups,” Analay said. “ We wanted to see if she was there. See, Page was always interested in dragons. So we thought she might have traveled there. Now we see that she wasn't there at all.”



Seatah, the only one who hadn't met Page, smiled at the three crestfallen faces. “Don't worry. We'll find her. Then you can introduce us.”





They made camp on a hill. They ate cold cheese and meat, so no smoke would go up from a fire.



Saffire woke with a knife at her throat. Opening her sapphire eyes, she saw a furry paw holding a dagger right below her chin. A furry face hissed in her's. The creature holding her as prisoner said in a warning voice, “Be still or I'll cut ye throat. What are ye doin' on my land?”



Seatah growled at the creature, smoke blew out of her nostrils making her a fearsome sight. Analigh and Analay stepped up along side Seatah both carried rapiers in their hands.



The creature hissed like a cat and spat squarely between Seatah's front paws. “Ye dare try an' cross a brownie do ye? Well, come any closer an' ye friend gets it.”



“Look, we're just passing through. We're on our way to the capital of the Elvin Forest.” Analay said in an annoyed voice. “We're going to stop the monster.”



The brownie relaxed his grip on Saffire. “'Tis good to know. I was gonna go there meself. I heard it was headed that way. I'll come with ye. Ye could use a nose like mine, plus, I can help find better, safer, camp spots.”



Saffire sat up. “We'll be glad to have your company. I'm Saffire, that's my best friend Seatah, and those are the twins, Analay and Analigh. Sorry, but I didn't quite catch your name.”

“I'm Shey, and I'm the best brownie `round these parts.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

The_wonderfully_evil_Hubert on June 30, 2006, 7:50:34 AM

The_wonderfully_evil_Hubert on
The_wonderfully_evil_HubertYaY!! I read the Spiderwick Chronicles, too! I like brownies, they're funny!! GREAT story!! I really like it!!

Allester on May 12, 2006, 6:51:36 AM

Allester on
Allestersalinser 8 stars