Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Voices

Merina Davis thought she was just a freak with weird eyes, but she's about to find out that she's much more than that.

Chapter 1 - Voices

Chapter 1 - Voices
        I never knew why I was born how I was, but I always thought it was a curse. Being a psychic was something I couldn't find a reason to enjoy. It all started one day when I was coming home from school. From my first day in preschool, I had been unpopular, and time doesn't heal those things when you're stuck with those same one-hundred people in high school.

        The walk home was long, but I had two friends, Callie and Bella, who always came with me, even if it was just to keep me company. There was also the reason of the girls who shared my route. Iris was their ringleader. She was beautiful, with her shiny, dark red hair and vivid green eyes, but everything about her radiated tension to me. One day, one of her friends had shoved me against a locker and yelled at me for doing something to her that I didn't remember. These were the sorts of things Iris inspired, not love poems.

        Next to me, though, Callie was talking about her new boyfriend, and Bella was finding a way to contradict every good point that came up about the poor guy. I guessed they both knew him all too well. Maybe a dance or a blind date gone wrong had made him that unappealing? "He has no tact, no manners, and he can't dance at all," Bella snapped playfully. Arguing was their daily entertainment.
"You're just jealous because he's cute and very not-yours," Callie retorted with a victorious smile.

        "What do you think?" Callie asked me. Oh crap. That was the question I'd been dreading during the whole conversation. Getting into their arguments meant choosing one friend instead of two to hang out with until they forgot about it.
"I don't care," I admitted sheepishly. "I've never even met the guy."
"You've never met any guys," Iris teased, speeding up to keep pace with us. "Too ugly."
"You'd be pretty, but they all know you're way too sour," I smirked, and walked a little faster, seeing the corner where my house was.

        "Cheap clothes, no makeup, cheap hair, I can't see how you'll be able to keep yourself from spinsterdom," she continued, and Callie and Bella were now shooting her looks that sent lightning through the air. I was about to send another insult her way, but suddenly, it sounded like Iris' friends were all talking loudly behind me.
"I'm scared. What if those eyes mean she's dangerous?"
"What'll I do if Iris gets angry?"
"Oh, man, I can't wait to see this catfight!"

        Slowly, they built up into a dull roar, making my head throb until it was almost ready to explode. I clutched my head, trying to stop the tears from coming after listening to all the things I heard about me. Even Callie and Bella were scared. The voices said I was a freak, someone who would never belong. All I could do was stand there, trying to brace myself against all the things that were being repeated. "Shut up!" I screamed, and even Iris backed off.

        Silence came, always welcome, but I saw a flash of white and then blacked out. The last sound I heard was my own violent sobbing.....

        "Honey, are you alright?" My mom's voice was strained with worry, barely audible through the throbbing that had erupted in my head.
"I think she's fine, Jane," my dad said in a soothing voice. It was hard to calm my mom down, but I could hear the hysterics fading from her voice and her breathing. Somehow, my dad's voice had that magically soothing quality.

        Kara, my younger sister by two years, just stared at me with shock on her face. I had never passed out, or even come close. From the digital clock on our dining room counter, I gathered that I'd been out for about three hours. "Merina, what happened to you?" Dad asked calmly, and I sat up, rubbing my head. Those voices were there, but they were quieter, like a frightened whisper. After passing out a block away from the house, I figured things couldn't get that much worse.
"I think I'm hearing voices," I admitted quietly. Even though I had resigned myself to fate or whatever was pushing me now, I cringed to think that after all these years, something had finally pushed me over the edge of insanity.

        Everyone just stared at me for a moment, and I regretted saying what I had. The worst part was that you can't take back your confession of insanity. People also didn't say that sort of stuff to their parents to be funny. "Are they telling you to do bad things?" Mom asked, and her eyes reminded me of a deer in the headlights. "What do they say?"
"Nothing that I haven't heard before," I assured her, standing up to face her. "It's just like what someone might say in the situation I'm in."

        That was when they kicked in again. "Is she suffering from a split-personality?" Kara.
"Hopefully, this is all just a little bit of amnesia, and she's just in shock from whatever made her pass out." Dad.
"WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IF MY BABY'S CRAZY!" Most definitely Mom.
"Maybe I just need some sleep." Me.

        My lips didn't move, though, and I was sure of it. Bruises from falling on the hard pavement made pretty splotches of black-and-blue on my skin, and I could feel the cool pain of every one of those. I could feel my heart racing from the panic I had undergone. Was I going completely crazy? Why was I hearing all these voices, but no one's lips were moving.
"Just go to your room, and they'll just think you're overtired." Kara was speaking to me, but I wasn't sure if her lips had moved or not.

        "I think I'll just go to my room and get some sleep," I said with a brief smile. Dad helped me get up, and I heard him say, "Now 'atta girl. She'll wake up and realize it was all just a bad dream." Why would he be speaking to me in the third person? None of this made sense as I crawled into my bed and embraced the brief silence.

        Thoughts came surfacing up in my head, and all of them were about this afternoon. Why had I passed out? And who did those voices belong to? I racked my brain over and over again for an answer. Maybe it had something to do with my eyes. They were a deep shade of purple, and people had said over and over again that they looked weird and made them feel uncomfortable. Even Callie had admitted once that one of her friends didn't want to hang out with us because my eyes made her feel like she was being watched. They had earned me the name Indigo among some of the popular cliques.

        After hearing about this, none of my friends would come within a ten foot radius of me again. They would hear that I had gone to a shrink, and then they would assume that I was far too unstable to be around them. "This sucks," I hissed quietly. Alerting my parents with my private rant wasn't a very good idea either, and I wanted them to believe that I had kept my sanity.

        Though I tried hard, my sanity could not be kept. The voices from that afternoon replayed in my head, and new ones added to the chaos, some that I didn't even come close to recognizing. Whatever it is, I just want it to stop, I thought tiredly, flopping down on my bed. How long can this go on? Finally, an interruption to the noise came into my room in the form of Kara.
"Are you okay, Merina?" she asked, her quiet voice filled with concern. "I saw you right after you got back, and it....you didn't look good." I glared daggers at her, my indigo eyes piercing right through her.

        "Scratch that," Kara continued. "You still don't look so good." With a sigh, I sat up and seethed silently while she sat down on my beanbag chair.
"What do you want, squirt?" I asked testily. Hearing voices all day didn't make me all that eager for conversation.
"Sheesh, just came to see if you're okay," she assured me. "You're still pale, and someone obviously got up on the wrong side of the bed today."

        "Look," I said sharply, wishing she'd get out soon. "I just told Mom and Dad that I'm hearing voices, and they're going to send me to a shrink."
"It won't be that bad," Kara said, keeping her cool.
"Yes, it will," I retorted.
"Just feed him some story, he'll say you're not crazy, and then we can all go back to life as we know it."
"That's what you did to get out of therapy," I said firmly. "I'm not going to run away like that."
"I wasn't running!" Her fist slammed down on my nightstand, and I got up swiftly.

        Suddenly, I couldn't see my room anymore. It was Kara's room, and she was in there with a knife. Her white-blonde hair fell over her face in gossamer curtains, and I could see the pain in her violet eyes. Mom's description of her came alive. With her flowing white blouse, she looked like an angel, but an angel wouldn't have been that sad. Outside the window, other kids were playing in the streets. In here, though, I could feel death looming over her.

        "Don't do it!" I screamed violently, and then Mom came into the room, and she fell apart. Tears fell from those pained purple eyes, and I couldn't stand to watch. "It's okay, honey," she said softly. "We'll get help for you tomorrow." Her face buried in my Mom's bright pink sweater, that blonde head nodded up and down once in between sobs. Then, I was back in my room, with Kara standing right in front of me.

        "Kara?" I asked wearily, and she nodded, walking forward. Her delicate frame shook as she tried to hold back the tears that wanted to come so badly.
"It'll be fine," she lied, and stared into my eyes. The voices were still there, but one was screaming,
"I want to help, and I want to so badly, but I don't know what to say, and I don't want her to hate me. What if she doesn't love me anymore? What if she just clams up now?" My breath came in ragged pants, and I had my own tears to hold back.

        My hand reached out to pull my sister into a hug. "I love you, Kara," I whispered. "Just let me handle this, and we'll come out alright, 'kay?"
"Okay," she said with a sniffle, and that voice quieted down a little. "Just don't go screaming like that again or Mom and Dad won't be very convinced." She backed off and smiled up at me, her eyes glistening like well-polished amethyst.
"I screamed?" I said, quirking an eyebrow.
"We just won't mention it," Kara said with a hint of her old joy.

        For a few seconds, I stood there, the voices murmuring furiously as ever in my head. "I still don't know what I'm going to do," I said, wiping away the few tears that had escaped. "People don't just forget it when you say you're hearing voices."
"Just listen and see if they can help, then," Kara said, her hair falling across her eyes in a way that reminded me of that haunting vision.
"Okay. Thanks for seeing if I was okay, Kara," I said, and gave her one more quick hug before shooing her out of the room.

        Being alone made speaking unnecessary, but it also meant I was alone with those voices. They were a massive din now, but I figured it must be like a crowded mall. When you're preoccupied, like I was with Kara, they all sound like white noise. However, once you open your ears a little more, you start to hear a few of the people clearly. That opening happened while I sat on my bed with my legs drawn up to my chest.

        At first, there were only a few comments, but eventually, I found one voice that fascinated me. It had a rich tone, and I listened to the seductive words as they talked on. It didn't matter what that voice said; it was enough to sit there and listen to the beautiful timber, with its perfectly articulated style. "She has to be here somewhere," it said, and I could imagine a pair of full red lips uttering those words, dripping with the honey that characterized their easy languor. "Why do I have to find some bratty teenager anyway? Jewel could find her in a heartbeat."

        My eyes snapped open, and I just realized I had squeezed my eyelids shut when that voice faded away into nothing. I cursed inside for letting my concentration slip like that. Though it was one of the prettiest voices I had ever heard, it was harder to concentrate on, like something was pushing me away from that one. Instead, I just heard the same, normal, mundane voices I had before. So, considering the disappearance of that tantalizing voice, I went downstairs to see if there was anything to eat.

        The refridgerator didn't have much to offer, but I took a couple pieces of pizza and popped them in the microwave for a couple minutes. Kara came down the staircase and flashed a smile before sitting down in the living room with Mom and Dad. A loud beeping sound made me jump, and I turned around to see that it was just my pizza. I took my plate to the table and flipped open a magazine that I was usually able to engross myself in. However, considering I hadn't eaten in about ten hours, the pizza was much more enticing, so it stole most of my attention.

        "Come on in and sit down," Dad invited, patting a seat on the couch. I huddled myself up on the couch and smiled when he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. Quite obviously, he was relieved that I looked a little less pale, and that I wasn't doing anything to set Mom off.
"Feeling better, Meri?" Mom asked nervously. Honestly, I hated that nickname, and I had ever since she started using it for me at age two. Tonight, though, I would do anything to show my parents that I had no need of mental help. The last thing I wanted was to explain to the shrink about my little problem.

        The TV kept on flashing bright blue across Kara's face as I watched her subconsciously. What was she thinking about right now? Sure, she had come in an attempt to help me, but I thought I had heard a little bit of anger in her voice. Mom and Dad were talking, but what they said only flitted through my mind briefly before I moved on. All that mattered right now was finding a silence before I was deemed crazy, and it seemed like the voices were almost shut out in this half-trance I'd fallen into.

        Hours seemed to pass like seconds, and soon everyone else had gone upstairs to sleep. Alone on the couch, I laid my head on the throw pillow and smiled. The voices were back now, but they were weakened. "I hope she notices me tomorrow," one said. "I bought that card and everything."
"She has to be in this area. It's the only place I haven't searched in this pathetic town." I gasped silently, recognizing the slow but pretty tone of the voice from before. It was louder this time, and I wanted to hear that fantasy voice again, hear the only words that I wanted to listen to.

        My eyes slowly slid shut, and I saw myself in the eighth grade, smiling with my light brown hair pulled back in a ponytail. That was a picture Mom had taken at my eighth grade graduation, I was sure of it. That image stayed for a while, and then faded into nothing. Only the voice remained. "I have to find her before tomorrow....I have to take her back." I sat bolt upright that time, terrified like never before. Why did someone like this want me? Was she even a real person?

        Vague whispers lingered in my head after that, and most of it was just my own thoughts. I was running through the options for why someone would want vengeance on me. My entire life, I had picked on, but for the most part I took it and moved on. Not much fazed me after all the teasing I went through in my younger years. Having eyes like mine was different, and people are usually scared of different. It threatens their safe existence. Maybe because I was such a natural freak, I wasn't stressing out about this new development in my life. It was just one more thing to deal with.

        Something clicked in my mind at that very moment. Someone might be out to get me, and the voices were persisting even after the shock. To tell the truth, I was quite calm at the time. Who knew what else was just waiting to spring itself on me? After this was all over, I might not be able to move on and smile at school the next day. Callie and Bella wouldn't recognize me after all this was over.

        Rolling over, I let my arm dangle off the couch and sighed. Nobody could help me, but I needed to figure out how to suppress the voices at the very least. They were mounting now, and I could hear them practically yelling. Before, it was usually just mundane chatter, but now I heard shouts of excitement, screams of terror, and just plain gibberish. I clutched at my head, rolling onto our soft, blue carpet. Aside from the pain in my head, my entire body started to feel it. It was like getting hit everywhere all at once. No matter how hard I tried, it kept on racking my body over and over again.

        I forgot about everyone else in the house and let a scream fly, then panted on the floor, resting my forehead on my forearms. It was still there, though. The pain lashed me again and again until I felt like I couldn't move. It was hopeless. I was going to die alone on my living room floor, and I was going to die crazy. That was the only thing I could think about as I truly panicked for the first time in my life.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment