Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Into the Mines

There are both good and Bad times in everyones life. To hide either is to conceal the whole truth; this is wrong. This tale is to show that these aforementioned situations will never last.
Yours Sincerely,
The Scribe.

Chapter 2 - Into the Mines

Chapter 2 - Into the Mines
As said in the previous chapter. Our two hedgehogs find themselves trapped by fates most foul. Parents dead and home destroyed; they are put to work in the eastern Iron mines. A barbaric place mostly underground- full of prison like cages and cells, accompanied by massively deep tunnels reaching far into the earth. Above earth, was a large factory and stronghold- one which no one has ever escaped from. But those are details for future time.[/i]
“Cell 00-1B. Enter.” Rumbled the metallic recording, emitted by the dauntingly large robotic jail guard, as the two young slaves Riku and Sophie were ushered into their new quarters.
The entire business of enslaving and transporting the two siblings was undoubtedly rough, and what so might call barbaric. After the abrupt destruction of their home, quick murdering of their parents, and generally tearing the two young hedgehogs away from the corpses of their parents to send them on a large journey in either dank, musty brown sacks, crates, or disgustingly under kept motor vehicles- the two were what you might not call delighted but appreciative of the (in comparison) larger amount of space in which to exist in.

The cell itself seemed however to be the area reincarnate of the word “Miserable”. The walls were curved due to the two being inside a massive, underground complex of caves and dig sites, with rusty but still strong steel barred walls and doors, and lastly a single bed.
The first day was easy. It appeared the drivers were letting the two settle down into their predicament as it were. Which was both a curse, and a blessing. Riku didn’t say much to his sister, he just kept rather quiet; but she kept talking to him, asking him if they’d ever get out of here, to when he thought they’d get to eat. Even though he hardly bar never gave a reply, she just nodded and continued talking as if he did, almost innocently.
When night came- a time that took effort to find out about, due to the underground mines being so very dark and gloomy- the two siblings decided simultaneously to share the single bed, both wrapping up under the same blanket and keeping close to each other. This had a double effect. Firstly due to the blanket and the surrounding letting in horrible drafts and cold winds, so having another source of body heat was nice- and secondly the two of them didn’t want to sleep alone, and so desperately wanted the soothing company of family. That evening and night was long, cold, and silent.

The next morning, only made aware to the two hedgehogs by the robotic squadrons rattling the cage bars and generally causing commotion to wake all the workers up- the two had their first day of work. Beforehand, they were given a piece of slightly stale bread and some water; which apparently as told by other nearby slaves was supposed to get you through the day. This was true, as the brief energy and bare nutrients could indeed supply a body well enough to scrape its way through the day- but only just. All those hours, every slave would feel a deep, growling hunger in their stomachs.
So, they were given a pick each, and set low down into the dirt, walking for what seemed to be miles down some god forsaken tunnel, before reaching the end and chipping away to extract grey rocks and make the tunnel and journey longer for the next day. All in all, the work was tiresome, and gruelling. But, time can be a varied thing in books, so let us skip from this part to 3 days further, as nothing new occurred until then.

Sophie and Riku were beginning to show the strains off hard labour. The two energetic kids now reduced to shambling, mumbling layabouts, who rested whenever they could and tried to save as much energy as possible. They’d become used to the nights now- when silences were joined with a light orchestra of wailings and crying from the other many cells, full of many more enslaved miners.
However, that evening was interrupted by the cell door swinging open, and the robotic guards throwing in another room-mate for this particular holding. Sophie and Riku just sat on their bed, lifting their heads gently upward to see what the commotion was. The figure thrown in was a skunk, made obvious by its large black and white tail. It was also obvious it was female due to the shape of her torso and the general aura she emitted. Not only this, but she was getting on in years- an elderly figure, really. Way into middle age, and reaching the old years. She peered up at the two, flicking the tuft of hair her eyes and staring them down with yellowed eyes before smiling at them fondly.
“And here I was thinking I’d be stuck with ruffians.” She said, chuckling and getting to her feet whilst the door slammed behind her. Riku decided to take action, and hopped off the bed.
“I’m Riku. And this is my sis’, Sophie.” He said, nodding and holding out a hand.
“It’s a pleasure. I’m Mary.” Smiling and shaking it politely.
“Why.. why are you here?”
“Well, because my previous cell broke out into a fight. Apparently they split you up for that.”

The conversation continued long into that night. Apparently, Mary was a mother of two, and used to be in a cell with her two boys, living in these conditions for almost three years. However that very night an argument erupted between the members of the family, and Mary was stuck here with the two hedgehogs by the robotic slave drivers. Riku offered his sympathises, but Sophie more so. The old skunk and young girl made a bond that night, keeping close and comforting each other, whilst Riku stood by the bars of the door- peering out into the abyss and pondering what to do, silently.
And this is the way it went- for days, If not weeks. The two female cellmates would chat and talk in the corner, whilst the boy would sit and ponder about escaping and plotting. It was soon after Mary’s arrival, Riku found out the robotic guards would give out items to workers who toiled exceptionally hard. These weren’t amazing prizes- just bare essentials- but they were good enough.

This fact in mind, Riku went into overhaul. Each day, he’d get up early and stand by the door, to go out as soon as possible and do his workload and then some. This was not a thankless reward as after each day, Riku was given a “gift” of his choice- 3, measly matches to use.
Now, these matches were intending to be used to keep one warm somewhat, or just to light up the darkness of the underground if not for a while; but Riku had another daring thought. The ore- the ore and rocks they were digging up. It was the core ingredients to gunpowder, and all explosives. The slaves were helping to create munitions.
So, each day, Riku would find the essential powder, and fill his boots with it- stuffing it full enough so that he could just put his feet into them, but not look obviously odd. This, was not much. But- it was enough for him.

Stashing that powder in one of the beds sheets and putting that underneath the mattress of the bed, he was able to stockpile this powder without alerting the guards. Slowly but surely, he was gathering his resources.
And it was after aforementioned weeks, that he began to put his plan into full swing. Tearing off pieces from the sheet and wrapping them around the powder, he made very crude explosive ammunitions. Basic, but when used right brutal.
However, it was around this time, Sophie began to get very drowsy; and eventually- Ill.

“wha-whys she so tired? What’s wrong with ‘er?” Riku asked Mary, putting his hand on his sister’s head whilst she lay on the bed in a fever.
“I’ve seen this before. It’s a fever caused by the toxins in the air, created by the ore. Some people get ill, some don’t…”
“So what do we do?”
“I.. I don’t know- I’ve never heard of a cure for this, nor anyone recovering..” Mary sighed, turning back to tend to the girl. Riku cursed. He had to get his sister out... He had to save the last of his family...
Screw waiting. He’d escape now

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment