Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Return of the Traveler

I really dunno. I just sat down one night and started writing the first things that came to mind...Maybe I'll continue it if enough people like it.

Chapter 4 - Return of the Traveler

Chapter 4 - Return of the Traveler
Return of the Traveler


Cain searched his thoughts for any hint as to what Elani meant. He found the name familiar, but could not quite place it. Suddenly, a dark, image threw itself into his mind's eye. He saw a young blonde girl, her quivering body huddled into a corner. She was crying as if she had lost someone who had meant only the world to her. In her hand was an item that seemed out of place, however: a small gun. Cain felt an urge to sympathize for this strikingly familiar girl, but at the same time, her image brought to him a strange sense of anger. He began to proceed forward once more, thinking hard over all that'd transpired. He had a hunch he wasn't going to like the outcome of his meditating, but tried to deduce all possible alternate answers.
It was then that he noticed he was nearing a light that appeared to burn a hole through the unending cloud about him. Not seeing anywhere else he could go, he made for the piercing light. As he neared it, it grew to blinding brightness. Before he knew it, Cain was robbed of his ability to perceive things around him through his eyes. He became blinded; it seemed only temporary. He made an attempt to squint through his stubborn eyelids. What he saw was not what he had ever expected to find. A gleaming humanoid figure, almost devoid of shape, yet still retaining a general figure. What little Cain could make out about it was it had what looked like three heads, each slightly different, yet similar to its neighbor.
The middle head began to speak, but he could not distinguish its words. In fact, Cain felt that his ears would implode upon themselves if he had to stand anymore of it. But the left head began to burn, and its fire reached out to him. He expected more torment, and braced himself, but what he felt was far from pain. He felt a warmth wrap around him like a hot vapor, something he had not remembered feeling for as long as he could search his memories.
As the flame consumed him, the voice became softer, and he understood the words it spoke, though it still did not speak his tongue.
"Why are you afraid?" the voice asked him. Cain didn't know how to respond. All this time, he had feared each step he took up to this point. He noticed he was trembling, but couldn't help himself. He felt as if a hole had been cut into his soul, and now he felt the consequences. "I don't know where I am," was all he could manage to say in response.
"Do you not know who I AM?" the figure asked him. At these words, Cain came to a revelation. He was standing before a judge, waiting to be sentenced to an eternal reward for better or for worse. "I am dead. . .why? How? What's been happening to me? Why has this happened?" This time, the right head spoke in voice much more soothing, yet still authoritative, "Fear not, for you are not permanently out of body. You have experienced things no man has felt."
"But why?!" Cain impatiently questioned.
"Because you took not to heart the things you heard. Therefore, while you hung on the verge of death, you were taken to taste a drop of your reward."
Cain understood now why was here. But he still knew not how. Before he could inquire anything more, however, he was told, "You need to be ready. Prepare yourself for your return, for you know it is inevitable."
Like a sick deja vu, he felt nothing beneath his feet, and his wings dissipated like mist. Everything around him melted away, and he began to tumble headlong into a vast starry plain. This time, however, he kept falling, and as he fell he witnessed what looked like shooting stars crashing down into a deep chasm. Then he noticed something approaching him, or more likely he was approaching it. It was a blue sphere, dotted with green and brown shapes, and white swirls. He recognized it as the place he couldn't wait to return to.
Before he could experience a true landing, however, all faded to black, except a quite sound off in the distance. It grew louder, and he recognized it as a female crying. A retrospective vision hit him with that same image of the girl he now knew to be Elani. She held up her firearm, and slowly, almost reluctantly pulled the trigger.
With a bang to shake the world, his eyes opened, and he saw about him familiar faces. He tried to move and speak, but his damaged body would not allow it. He found himself to be in a bed; he was in a hospital.
Finally, everything made sense. For his actions, he was punished. And though he felt his punishment far from over, he was willing to make a resolution for the better. But for now, he would simply try to enjoy being home from a painful, grueling Journey.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment