Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Shinji Kuromia the Motherless Boy

When Shinji Kuromia gets out of the hospital 5 years late, he enrolls at an all grade university called, Spirit Book University. It is said that there were Six powerful books that are born at random. But not one book: The Red Book.

Chapter 2 - Shinji Kuromia the Motherless Boy

Chapter 2 - Shinji Kuromia the Motherless Boy


The Spirit Book Chronicles

Chronicle I: The Red Book

By J. E. Chin



Chapter One: Shinji Kuromia, the Motherless Boy



“Okay, woman; the kid is about five years old now. Give him up.” A man said holding a whip within his tight grasp.

“No! I won't give my son! I don't care what anyone says, I'm not letting him go!!” the woman exclaimed. She got up with her son in her arms and ran to her left.

“Alright, we'll do this the hard way.” The man ran after her twirling the whip above his head. When he was only feet from her, his threw the whip at her ankles, causing her to trip and drop her son.

“No! Shinji, dear, run!” She shouted.

The five-year-old boy she call Shinji looked at her in terror. “Mommy…” He ran to her and kneeled beside her. “I can't…”

“Do you remember the word I taught you?” She asked.

Shinji nodded. The man had started walking over.

“Say it.”

“No! You say it only for emergency.” He was getting closer.

“Please, do for Mommy! Do the stance I taught you toward the man and say it!”

Shinji nodded confidently and stood up.

The man walked up to Shinji and asked, “What are you going to do squirt? Hit me with a weak spell?”

Shinji shook his head. He place one foot back and held his hands together, palms out. “Retsu!!” Blades that looked like air came shooting out of Shinji's small hands.

“What?!” The man leapt back and shouted, “Zen Kai Bou Gyo!!

A transparent shield surrounded the man and the blades of air ricocheted off of it and straight back to Shinji.

But before they reached him, his mother went in front of him and it hit her instead.









An older Shinji shot up from a metal table that doctors and nurses were surrounding shouting, “MOTHER!!! MOTHER!!!”

“Hold him down!!” one of the doctors shouted over Shinji's screams. “Knock him out! KNOCK HIM OUT, I SAID!!!”

“Yes, Doctor!” A nurse, who was holding a tray of needles, took one and stuck it in Shinji's arm and injected the substance within. Immediately, Shinji started to calm down. His muscles that had gone tense relaxed and so did his hands that were previously balled into fists.

“Mother…” Shinji didn't say another word. His grey eyes stared into space. His messy frayed hair was very deep silver that looked nearly gray. His complexion was pale like the dull shine of a full moon. Because of this mixture, it seemed like he had bags under his eyes even if he had a well rested night. On his wrist, was a wristband that gave his description:



Name: Kuromia, Shinji

DOB: Unknown

Age: Estimate of 14 years

Birth Mother: Hirosake, Kiroi

Birth Father: Kuromia, Shinjimo

Spirit Book Color: N/A





“Damn brat, he's gone insane for his mother.” A doctor named Kansume said wiping sweat from his brow.

“Doctor, don't call him a brat.” A nurse named Hitomi said standing next to him. “This is just psychological behavior. He really is a fine young boy.”

“First off, he's not a boy.” Doctor Kansume retorted. He turned to Hitomi “He's a young man. He's about fourteen years old for God's sake! His spirit book should have appeared by now.”

“Calm down Doctor. It'll appear eventually.” Hitomi stood next to the table and placed her hand upon it. She felt its sheer coldness and the heat transfer from her hand into it. `Shinji's Spirit Book will appear when he wants it to. He has the ability; I can feel it. Right now, his soul needs to recover. Though it's been recovering since he was five; recovering for about nine years.'

Hitomi moved her hand and placed it on top of Shinji's. Shinji's face, which was grimaced, relaxed feeling her soft hand on his pale, smooth one.

“Take him back to his room and turn the cameras off. I want to have a private talk with him.” Doctor Kansume said.

As the other doctors and nurses carried Shinji off to his single ward with Hitomi still holding his hand, Doctor Kansume stared after him with narrowed eyes.







A man of about thirty-five years of age walked into the Hikari No Kawa (River of Light) Hospital where his son was taking comfort in. His platinum silver hair gleamed in the afternoon sunlight that shined through the glass walls of the entrance. From the front, his hair seemed just to be boy-cut hair. But from behind, long strands caressed his back that reached down to his lower back.

Slung over his shoulder was a small side bag that was purposely made to only hold one book. An outline of a thick book showed. Hanging from his arm was a decorative gift bag with letters saying, “Happy Birthday!” on it. Inside this bag, however, was concealed by many shreds of old newspapers.

The man walked up to the nurse behind the counter and said, “Hello, young miss. I am here to visit my son today.”

“Okay, no problem.” The nurse typed on the computer the date and time. “Okay, just place your Spirit Book on the scanner in front of you and your right hand on the hand scanner.” She said happily.

The man placed the Gift bag down and opened the small side bag and took out a Sapphire-colored book. He placed the book's front onto the scanner and then his hand on the other scanner. On the front of the book it read, “Sapphire Spirit Book” and a thumb print on the corner.

“Oh, that's a pretty thick Spirit Book. I suppose you survived Spirit War XII sixteen years ago?”

“That's right. I was nineteen when the war ended.” The man smiled proudly.

“May I?” She asked.

“Go right ahead.” The man smiled.

The nurse picked the book up from the scanner and weighed it with her hands.

“Wow! It's so light, yet, there are so many pages!”

“The magic of Spirit Books is amazing.”

“Yes, mine's naturally light; it only has twenty pages”

She placed it back onto the scanner and clicked the “scan” button on the computer. It took a mere second before it was done.

“Okay, now we have to wait for the info to process.” The nurse looked up at the man. “So while that's happening, let's talk a bit.”

“Wouldn't be easier for me to just tell you my name?” the man asked putting his book away.

“It would. But how do I know that it is your real name?” The nurse smiled brightly. “It's a great thing to have these computers; being able to identify every person. It's amazing.

“Say, did you ever hear of the Legend of the most powerful Spirit Books?” the nurse asked.

“I believe so. You mean the legend that three gods made three books. One was Red, another was Blue and the last one was Yellow.”

“Yes. But they say that Red was the most powerful out of the three. Don't know why.”

“I've also heard of the three Spirit Books that were Black, White and half and half; also powerful. They say that they were called, Yin, the Black, Yang, the white, and Master, the half and half.”

A ping was heard and the man's profile came up on the screen.

“Oh! It's done!” The nurse looked at the profile. “Oh! Mr. Kuromia! I knew you looked familiar. Come to see Shinji, again?”

“Yes, today's his 15th birthday. Well, actually today is the day I first saw him in my life; it was nine years ago; actually ten years now. I visit him every now and then.”

“So, I suspect you got him a gift.” The nurse assumed.

“Yes,” he held up the gift bag. “I'm sure he'll like it.”

“Okay, take care.” The nurse waved to him as he went down the hallway to Shinji's ward.







“Why are you hiding your Spirit Book?!” Doctor Kansume asked outraged.

Doctor Kansume was standing over Shinji who was crouched and covering his head in the corner where a mirror was in the wall above him.

“Tell me now! Setsu-Dan!!” Doctor Kansume made a slashing movement with his arm and a giant blade of wind came from it.

Shinji looked up in time and on instinct he said, “Zen Kai Bou Gyo!!” A transparent barrier stayed up for just a second but it then disappeared. “What?!”

“You're useless!!” the doctor said. “You are not powerful enough to use that spell!”

Zen Kai Bou Gyo!!” a man had leapt in front of Shinji and blocked the attack. “You will never hurt my son.”

“Papa!!” Shinji yelled happily. He stood up and hugged his father.

“Hi there, Shinji.” For only a moment, Mr. Kuromia smiled at Shinji. The next moment, however, he turned to the Doctor, held one hand up and said, “Raikou!!” Lightning shot out from his hand and shot the doctor out of the room.

The Doctor got up and said, “You'll pay for that, Kuromia.” He wiped some blood off from the corner of his mouth.

“Just be glad I was merciful in that last attack. Now leave.” Mr. Kuromia shut the door on the doctor and locked it. He pressed his ear on the door; he heard the Doctor's footsteps die away. “Okay, that was a bother.”

Shinji gave a small chuckle and Mr. Kuromia smiled.

“Now,” Mr. Kuromia turned around and faced Shinji. “How is my only son doing?”

Shinji didn't answer. But he went over to him and gave him a small kiss on the lips.

“I'll take that as a fine. Here,” He gave the bag to Shinji. “Happy Birthday.”

Shinji took the bag and sat down in front of his father. He took the handful of old newspapers and threw then aside. When he saw it, he immediately picked it up and hugged it.

“Thank you Papa! I really like this fox toy!!” Shinji hugged his father along with the stuffed animal he got.

“Okay, I have to go now.” Mr. Kuromia hugged Shinji and let go. “I'll be back… huh?” He had turned around to open the door, but Shinji's hand grasped his sleeve. Shinji's grey eyes stared at his father's silver ones. “What's the matter?”

“I had… a nightmare.” Shinji placed his forehead onto his father's shoulder as tears started to shed.

“No. Oh no, don't start crying. Come here.” Mr. Kuromia turned back around and held his son to his chest. “You're fifteen and I told you that they are just nightmares. It's not like that they—“

“No!” Shinji shoved his father into the door and ran to the other side of the room. “I saw Mother die again. She died protecting me. Why? WHY?!”

Mr. Kuromia looked at Shinji from behind. He slowly walked forward and reached for his shoulder. But he stopped. He knew, deep inside his heart, that he can do nothing about Shinji's problem. But he also knew that Shinji couldn't continue on like this. He knew about Shinji being able to control when he wanted his Spirit Book to come out. But when is what he did not know. He only knew that Shinji had to attend Spirit Book University soon. Or else, Shinji won't have a good start along the path of The Spirit Book.





Before he knew it, Shinji was out of the hospital and home with his father in the same day. This was actually the first time that Shinji saw his own home. He was like a young child who had moved into a new home, poking around and nearly breaking a glass piece. The glass piece sat on top of a coffee table. It was an angel in a praying position, looking up at the wooden dragon figure next to it.

“Do you like that?” Mr. Kuromia asked Shinji, who was still looking at the angel, crouched next to the table. “It was a gift from a friend who had passed away a year before you were born.” He paused. `Though I mean your mother…' he thought.

“Papa?” Shinji looked at his father. “You won't leave me, right?”

Mr. Kuromia's face shifted into a slight state of shock. His heart gave a throb. What can he say? Sure he has the Power of Words, but he's still a mortal.

“Papa?”

“I can't say `yes' or `no'. But I can say this.” He crouched down next to Shinji. “I will try my best.” He kissed Shinji in the forehead in a near loving way.

Shinji's eyes went wide, but then relaxed. His face went pink and he accidentally let out a whine.

“What? Do you like my kiss?”

Shinji whined again and nodded his head, covering his face.

“I want… more.” Shinji said in a quiet voice.

“Alright. I'll give you more.” His father smiled and made a loud whistling noise using his mouth and fingers. Darkness shaded the room and only the moonlight that shined in the kitchen window illuminated them. Mr. Kuromia moved Shinji to the sofa and laid him down upon it. He then got on top on Shinji's upper legs.

“Papa?”

“Yes?” a rustling noise was heard and clothing fell to the ground.

“Nani?! Why is it suddenly cold?!” Shinji started rubbing his arms, but Mr. Kuromia stopped him.

“You'll be warm, so trust me.” He hovered over Shinji, his silver hair shining along with Shinji's.

Shinji looked at himself and saw that he was shirtless.

“Pap—“

“Shush.” Mr. Kuromia placed a finger on Shinji's mouth. “Not another word. Just feel.”

Mr. Kuromia kissed his son's forehead, then his cheek, neck, going to his chest. As he made his way, Shinji was blushing red now, his lips quivering, trying to hold his moans in. For some reason, Shinji felt something strange and it kept coming in waves by each touch. Even if it was delicate.

“Let it out.” Mr. Kuromia said looking at Shinji. “It's okay. You're feeling ecstasy.”

Shinji nodded and opened his mouth, letting out a long moan. He closed his eyes tight.

“Papa…” Tears started squeezing out of his eyes. “Why do I feel this?” he choked. “Why?”

“It's because you are happy. If you feel ecstasy, it means you are happy. That's all.”

Mr. Kuromia got off of Shinji and sat next to him with his back to him on the floor. Shinji turned to his side to face him. Shinji saw his father's silver hair gleam like a crystal. Such beauty is a rare sight for Shinji's eyes even though they were foggy. He moved his hand slowly and held one of the strands; it felt like silk. He let it slip through his fingers like fabric and smiled.

“Your hair is the same, Shinji. You inherited this feature from me.” Mr. Kuromia said sensing Shinji's admiration.

“Yes, I know. But it isn't as silver as yours.” Shinji picked up another strand and let go of it again, feeling the softness.

“You're a special son to me.” Mr. Kuromia said. “Don't you agree, Shinji?” He looked behind him and saw that Shinji was asleep. His mouth curled into a warm smile, seeing his son sleeping peacefully. “Have a good rest, my son.” He placed his hand on Shinji's chest and felt the thin spine of Shinji's Spirit Book. `You will let it appear soon. Until then, keep it hidden within your chest.'

Mr. Kuromia picked up the toy fox he had given Shinji from the floor; Shinji had dropped it when he moved him. He placed the fox under Shinji's relaxed arm. Mr. Kuromia stood up and picked up Shinji's shirt at the same time and placed it over Shinji's torso like a blanket. Shinji shifted in his sleep and gave a small moan, signaling his tiredness. Mr. Kuromia smiled again and walked to the other end of the sofa and sat there at Shinji's feet.

“I told you that you'll be warm.” And there he fell asleep, his head propped on his fist, his arm bent and resting on the arm of the sofa.


Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Lamia on March 20, 2006, 12:59:56 PM

Lamia on
LamiaDrama.
Your character, Shinji, caught my attention. I like the features you gave him. Blush^^. I like how you descibed his father, blush.

-Lamia