Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - To My disease

This is on the history of me being ill and going from doctor to hospital giving blood samples again and again till they found out i had Coelia diseas

Review/Comment please!

Chapter 1 - To My disease

Chapter 1 - To My disease
You ravage my body and leave me skeletal thin, made my clothes fall off, my pants fall down or get to big in size for me to wear. My breasts disappeared and you made my bones ache, my eye have a manic twitch and you gave me indigestion from both ends. You also bloated my stomach at night so that it ached and I wouldn't be able to sleep.

After years of not being able to keep food in, you upped the ante and wouldn't let any out. How could I forget the rumbling bowel constantly embarrassing me, the fuzzy brain or the enamel you stole from my teeth and while you were fracking me over you produced antibodies that attacked my insides giving me malnutrition, vitamin D and calcium deficiencies.

And when they put a label on you..You turned out to be a stupid misunderstood disease oh you're auto-immune all right but everyone knows that diabetes is not to be messed with. You had to be obscure with a stupid name, that is easily confused with a food preference or lifestyle choice.

You're a multi system disease spreading mischief everywhere inside me and made poor sods like me suffer from misdiagnosis and no doubt suspected for being hypochondrias. The average time it took to figure you out took up to the eighteenth year of my life.

You have no cure, the "clever people" trailing after vaccines and playing with parasites where too busy to make or find one... Until then it's a lifetime of questioning every source of nutrition, being the annoying person at restaurants having waitering staff roll their eyes at me as I ask them if their is any gluten in the meal I was ordering.

You'd also developed a neat trick of punishing every slip up every accidental contamination i made, with nasty physical symptoms that lasted for days and also left my gut compromised for months afterwards.

Initially my weight loss explained away by my complete lack of interest in eating, my lithargicy... and also getting drunk too easily, as it seemed you had no problem absorbing alcohol and only when if came to food did you have a problem

I was relieved after the gastro endoscopy, the physician saying it was almost certainly Coeliac disease, showing me pictures of my damaged insides but waiting for the biopsy results for confirmation. After not eating or drinking all day, the nurses offer me a plate of buttered toast after the endoscopy saying "Congratulations you have Coeliac disease here's a big load of gluten to celebrate."

But relief soon turns to panic as I realise the level of commitment you required. You brought with you veiled threats of osteoporosis, lymphoma, infertility, and depression along with the menace of some of your auto-immune cronies... "Would you like diabetes with that?" No avenue to complain I was lucky it wasn't cancer or something more sinister I had also

So you gag on wheat, rye, barley and oats that are cleverly hidden in nearly all processed food and sauces as well as other things but do you really like all of that hideously expensive muck with less taste than the cardboard packaging? The crumbly bricks of bread so hard by the next day the three little pigs could proberly build a house out of it. Fruit, nuts, seeds and gluten-free crackers they appease you as well
I hang out on forums now and then with other CD people. We share ideas, whinge a bit but generally just support each other. Destined to eat stuff like veggie stacks, while vegetarians on their high moral ground still get to eat cakes!

You stole away my birthday cakes, my Saturday night Chinese take away, fish fingers, custard squares, creamy éclairs and liquorice! I used to rarely eat biscuits saying I preferred a big fat slice of cake, but now I wish I'd eaten more of them. You stole toasties, fresh pasta, pancakes, crumpets, milkshakes, the cone from my ice cream and even some types of chocolates and crisps as well.
You make me want to scream or cry at times with how hard it can be to find something that I can eat on a daily bases when I'm with my friends at college or out and about.

So thank you very much you fracked up disease!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment