Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Mines

This is following my own little universe, so it doesn''t tie in with any existing continuities.

Transformers (c) Hasbro
Gundog (c) Direwolf505 (FA)
Blue Falcon (c) countramsely (FA)
Roadtrain (c) Flankfire (FA)
Everything else (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 5 - Mines

Chapter 5 - Mines
Cybertron

Flare thumbed the fresh purple insignia on her chest. There were four more on her upward swept wings, one Decepticon insignia on each side. She'd taken the oath, which was, much to her terror, witnessed over a vid link by the highest ranking Decepticons, including Megatron himself. As soon as she recieved her faction insignia, she heaved a sigh of relief. She didn't much care for being the center of attention, instead prefering to blend into the scenery, a trait she was very good at, and something she, and the others, hoped would prove extremely useful. But one other thing irked her more than anything. Both Crash and Megatron had agreed that to prove her full worth, she'd have to do the hardest thing in her life; hunt her brother. That was her first assigned mission, something that hurt deeply and gave her second thoughts, only to have the security vid spring to the surface again and replace the questioning with bitterness. He'd left her to die, and so now it was her turn to make him hurt. If she could persuade him to join the Decepticon ranks, fine. But to kill a relative, an identical twin; it was the ultimate test of loyalty to her new faction. She was so deep in thought that she didn't notice Burnout, who had wandered up beside her. He looked into the steel crate of ammunition and then looked at the electro-pad the much smaller Decepticon held loosely in a yellow hand.

''Having some diffuculty, Flare?'' The massive figure rumbled.
Flare jumped and gasped sharply. How could someone so big stay so quiet and unnoticed?
''Uh, no. Not all, sir.'' She blurted and promtply got back to work, sorting through the new ammunition and checking each piece off on the pad she held.
''You seemed awfully distracted there. Something the matter?'' He queried.
Something in his tone made her slow her actions to a near stop. She glanced up at him, then looked back at the pad and back into the container.
''Nothing much. Just the fact that I'm now one of the bad guys, pedalling doom and gloom across the universe.'' She muttered.
Burnout chuckled and patted her on the shoulder lightly, so as not to knock her over.
''Trust me, we are working for a good cause. We will have peace very soon.'' He said. He paused a moment, watching her more closely. ''Is it your first mission?'' He said.
''What?'' Then she caught on and her shoulders sagged slightly. ''Oh, yeah. My first mission.'' She sighed, halting her movements and turning around, leaning on the container side and looking across the empty hanger. ''It's just, well... Uh..'' She faultered.
''Hard? Cruel? Impossible?'' He prompted. ''Try no to think too hard about it. Afterall, what is a brother who gives up so easily on his own gears and Energon, hm?''
''But we've been through so much together!'' She protested angrily. ''How could he leave me?!''
''Fear.'' Burnout replied simply. ''And ignorance. To flee in such a simple minded manner, shows weakness.''

''Maybe someone else was there and made him leave.'' She muttered thoughtfully.
Burnout shook his head.
''I was at the fore of the final raid group. My optics can see for many miles, and I saw only him circling the flames. And it was only him who left.'' He lied.
Flare looked up, into the red optics of the massive Decepticon. The only thing she saw there was pity edged with a cold malice.
''I detest people like that.'' He continued, breaking her blue gaze. ''Similiar has happened to me one too many times before. It hurts worse than the deepest wounds. To have someone close to you betray you in such a way...'' He trailed off into a growl, his behemothic three fingered fists clenching. Then he sighed steadily. ''My apologies.''
''No need to apologise.'' She mumbled, feeling lost once more.
''I will be accompanying you on your journey.'' He said abruptly. Flare looked at him, a little puzzled. ''I am an experienced fighter, and from what I have heard, you have had very little training in combat.''
''Actually,'' Flare said, looking away and looking a little embarrassed. ''I've had no combat training...'' She admitted.
Burnout grunted something.
''Then that is something we will have to change.'' He said, a slight smile illuminating his optics. ''Some of the smaller members of our crew will be sparring in the rear courtyard in an hour. I suggest you finish up and meet me there. You could learn a trick or two.''
Before Flare could reply, he wandered off through the huge, open doors.


Solstice

The only thing aboard the Autobot ship that was making any sound was Flashpoint. His swearing and hammering could be heard throughout the ship. I certainly hope that's all for effect... Raid pondered slowly as he stared at nothing. Flashpoint had to take everything offline to get a proper look at the damage in the engine room, which rendered their leader completely blind. Without any amount of power to the Solstice, he couldn't use any of the Optical Visualizers Flashpoint had set up for him in the console interfaces.
''I had no idea a voice could carry so clearly through a ship this size.'' Gundog said, a touch amused at the random clipped words of anger and dismay that floated through the corridoors.
''Anything's possible when Flashpoint's involved.'' Deadmetal said flatly.
There was a series of dull thunks on the hull of the ship.
''That didn't sound good.'' Blue Falcon said, looking through the fore screen.
''Flashpoint?'' Raid broadcast digitally.
The query popped up in the fuming fire engine's head and startled him from his anger, returning him to momentary calm.
''Yes?'' Came the weary reply.
''I need basics online now. Something's just hit the hull and I don't think it bounced.''
''Basics comming online now.''

The bridge lit up dimly and suddenly Raid could see through the ship's massive array of sensors. He switched to external scans. The view of the hull was not pleasent. Blackened and heavily dented by laser fire, it was a wonder the hull hadn't been breached. Then he spotted the sources of the sudden, unnerving noises. And what he saw sent his circuits cold. Three, rough black and silver diamond shapes had attached themselves to the outer hull in various places. A red light flashed solemnly and lazily at their peaks. Mines. Raid cursed silently. The grips were in too deep to pry the mines safely off in time for the inevitable explosions.
''Galaxy?'' He barked over the in-ship com.
The large Autobot stood just outside the engine room flinched.
''Raid? What's the matter?''
''We got latch mines. Get outside and transform. We're abandoning ship.''
''Oh slag...'' Gundog muttered. ''We ain't hitchin' a ride in her, are we?''

''I said abandon ship, now move!'' The massive tank boomed angrily. Now was not the time to argue. ''Dee, I need functioning optics.''
Deadmetal was already on his feet and at Raid's side. Raid planted a large hand firmly on his shoulder.
''I showed you where the exits are, didn't I?'' Deadmetal said hurridly.
The two new recruits nodded.
''Then move as quick as you can, and get outside.'' He said.
Gundog and Blue Falcon ran from the bridge and headed for the nearest exit.
''Ready?''
''Get moving already.'' Raid snapped.
Deadmetal gave a quick nod and guided Raid as fast as possible off the ship.

Outside, in the cold darkness of space, a large, deep green space shuttle with fiery orange markings was taking shape. Speeder was with Galaxy, clinging onto her still transforming body, as was Flashpoint. Blue Falcon and Gundog were half way across the distance between them and the Solstice and approaching fast. Blue Falcon cast a quick glance over a shoulder and spied one of the mines. He swore bitterly. Deadmetal and Raid launched from one of the air locks and headed for Galaxy, who watched in mild annoyance as she let the last panel slot into position. The mines exploded, sending the Solstice tumbling through the vacant dark. Deadmetal and Raid were propelled forward, out of control.
''Help me with this.'' Flashpoint said and lunged for one of Galaxy's tail fins. Speeder and Blue Falcon followed suit, grabbing each other's ankles while Flashpoint reached out and caught one of Deadmetal's rotar blades. Everyone's joints protested at the new punishment, but the pair's tumble was brought back under control. The robot chain was disbanded one by one, each bot sliding through Galaxy's airlock. Once inside their temporary mode of spacial transport, they took up their seats, Raid and Deadmetal at the fore. Everyone watched as the Solstice tumbled into the dark distance.
''Follow it.'' He ordered.
Galaxy engaged her powerful engines and set about following their stricken ship.
''What about the Decepticons?'' Blue Falcon asked slightly irritably.
''What?!'' Galaxy rumbled. ''I ain't going after no Decepticons like this! I ain't got the fire power in vehicle mode, and if you think I'm gonna let you lot tumble through space when I'm up to my optics in those good-for-nothing tin cans--''

''What she means is, that we ain't all that menacing without our ship.'' Speeder supplimented, cutting Galaxy off. ''So settle down. We know where they're headed, so we can get them later.''
Galaxy grumbled something.
''I don't like this one bit.'' Gundog muttered.
''Neither do I, but it's happened, so get over it.'' Galaxy snapped.
''I know you're all frustrated, but if the arguing doesn't stop now, you'll all be floating through space without any aid of any sort.'' Raid snapped.
Everyone fell silent.
''I'd appreciate it if you didn't grip the arms of my chairs so tightly.'' Galaxy finally said after a long moment's silence.
Raid released his frustrated grip. ''Sorry.'' He mumbled.


Epitaph

''What do you mean by that?'' Krusher grunted.
''We mean, that that charged exhaust shot nearly overloaded the systems.'' Jetstream replied as she hunched over one of the burnt out generators in question.
''Fortunately, the only other thing that was affected, was our navigation systems.'' Steele added.
''Fortunately?'' Krusher rumbled. ''Fortunately?! We're so off course, I'm surprised we haven't gone full circle and ended back in Earth's solar system!''
''It can be fixed! I swear!'' Steele yelped, raising his hands defensively.
''When's the soonest you can have things fixed?''
''Couple hours. Depending on how badly you need the shields and how badly damaged the circuits are damaged.'' Jetstream shrugged.
Krusher mumbled something.
''Keep me informed.'' He said then stalked away.


Cybertron

Solar landed hard on his face with a pained grunt. Contrail had been ruthless in his training, and the young Cybertronian now bore all the dents and scars of a seasoned warrior.
''You are not concentrating!'' Contrail rumbled angrily. ''Pull your head out of the clouds and think. You have yet to land a true blow on me. Anymore of this, and we'll be picking your pieces up off the ground.''
Solar heaved himself unsteadily to his feet. His vision went fuzzy then cleared.
''Can we have a break...?'' He wheezed, a hand on his head. ''I think something's been dislodged in my head.''
''Yeah. Your processor.'' Contrail snorted and folded his arms.
''Funny.'' He groaned.
''If you are to face any Decepticons, then you need to concentrate and learn! All this faffing about will get you nowhere but the scrap heap.''
Solar looked down at his feet. He was trying, he was concentrating. He thought, anyway. His mind was still set on his sister, Flare, and finding her, or what was left of her.
''When can we continue training?'' He asked solemnly.
''As soon as you have recovered enough to start concentrating. And the sooner that happens, the sooner you can go and look for Flare.'' Contrail said and headed back into the temporary shelter.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment