Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Back To Base

Final part in my Space Bridge trilogy.

Transformers (c) Hasbro
Gundog (c) Direwolf505
Blue Falcon (c) countramsely
Roadtrain (c) Flankfire
Everything else (c) me

Chapter 3 - Back To Base

Chapter 3 - Back To Base
Cybertron - Gygax

Raid followed Galaxy closely as she stepped off the Solstice. Flashpoint and Speeder were already on the landing pad, explaining the ship's situation and state to three other Autobots, who were stood, listening intently and nodding in agreement. Raid looked around at his surroundings, his damaged optics picking up nothing but white static and black, shapeless silohuettes.
''Has nowhere been left untouched by this war?'' Galaxy muttered unhappily as she looked up at the charred and twisted remains of what was once a control tower.
The sun filtered through the battered city's buildings, giving extra light to the damage.
''War doesn't care what it takes.'' Raid said and urged Galaxy forward.
She looked down at him.
''Really think Flashpoint can fix your optics?'' She asked hesitantly.
''I certainly hope so.'' He replied with a small smile.
As they approached the group, the on-going conversation became more audible.
''It'll take a few cycles to repair just one of the engines.'' Chassis was saying.
''Maybe even longer.'' Mainframe added. ''With the story you've just spun us, there's no telling what the full extent of the damage is. It could, as you say, only be minor. But, until we take a closer look, we won't know for sure.'' She said with a dainty shrug that made her thin, silvery armour clang gently together.
''Basically, you're wanting to pull the engines apart...'' Speeder hazarded, taking a few small sidesteps away from Flashpoint.
''Got it in one, big guy!'' Said a thin, yellow and red Autobot.
Thunderbug was perched quite comfortably on Chassis's thick shoulder, a vantage point the Minicon had grown accustomed to.
''But, before you get your circuits in a twist about it, we gotta have a look at the damage first. Then we can give you a more accurate time.'' He continued.

Flashpoint shook his head slowly and gave an electronic sounding sigh.
''So long as the Solstice is able to operate at full capacity again...'' He said.
''Take all the time you need.'' Raid said as Galaxy put a hand on his shoulder to halt him. ''We're going to be here for quite some time. We still have a Space Bridge to retrieve.'' He added in a low rumble.
''Ah, yes..'' Chassis said slowly. ''We heard about that. Krusher seems like a slippery subject.''
A metallic corner of Raid's mouth twitched in a slight smile.
''After this job's done, none of us will have to put up with Krusher ever again. I will personally see to it that he rusts at the bottom of a scrap heap somewhere far from here. That's a promise.''
''And the worrying part is: You're good at keeping your promises.'' Chassis said.
''Well, we better get to work on this fine vessel of yours.'' Mainframe said, patting the lower strutt of the forward starboard landing foot.
''We'll keep in contact about what's happening.'' Thunderbug said as he slid down from Chassis's shoulder and made after the sleek fembot.
''Sir, permission to speak.'' It was more of a statement than a request.
Raid sighed and turned in Blue Falcon's general direction, his blue gaze three inches above the triple-changer's armoured head.
''You already know the answer to that one.'' Raid said bluntly.
''Uh, we've just got word that the Epitaph's crew has disbanded.'' Blue Falcon said.
''We need to hit Krusher hard while he's fully loaded and weighed down.'' Deadmetal added.
''Right now, we got more fire power than he does. He can't take care of himself when he's got a full load. Same with Roadtrain.'' Gundog put in.

''Chances are though, he'll have an escort. But you're right. This could possibly be the only chance we get to strike at him while he's virtually vunerable.'' Raid then turned his attention to Galaxy. ''Galaxy, I want you, Gundog and Deadmetal up there with him. He may or may not have Turbulance and Flare with him, so be careful.'' He then turned to Flashpoint. ''Flashpoint, you'll be my optics. Solar, Speeder, Falcon, you'll accompany me also. We need to stop Roadtrain and his escorts from getting back to base. We'll also be providing cover for Galaxy and her team from the ground if required. Keep in contact at all times, understood?''
There was a chorus of affirmatives and the small unit devided themselves into the designated teams. As ordered, Gundog and Deadmetal went with Galaxy, transforming as they lept into the air behind her. Raid followed Flashpoint from the landing pad flanked by Speeder and Blue Falcon, Solar flying low and keeping pace above them.
''I've located Krusher's convoy.'' Galaxy transmitted after a while. ''They're one league west of the northern Ankmor Autobot - Decepticon border and they're moving fast. At full speed, I can intercept them as they reach a half league from their base.''
There was a moment's pause. Raid was moving as fast as he could and already Galaxy was way ahead of him.
''Where's Deadmetal and Gundog?'' He asked curiously.
''Keeping pace. Some how...'' She replied.
Another silent pause. Then he mentally shook himself. They were probably gaining extra speed from the larger Autobot's slipstream.
''Proceed with intercept. And be careful.'' He transmitted.
''I'm always careful.'' Then Galaxy cut the line off with a split second of static before the comm-line went silent.


Cybertron - Ankmor

The convoy of three, one standard Cybertronian transporter and two Constructicons, rumbled carefully down the battle scarred main road. There was no one else in sight, not even detectable by radar. The two Constructicons, Hookshot and Steele, were talking amongst themselves, trailing after the heavily loaded Roadtrain.
''Y'know that weird feeling I get in my circuits just before something bad's about to happen...?'' Steele said as he maneuvered around a felled pylon that had been blown across the road.
''Not really, but go on.'' Hookshot replied.
''Well, I'm getting that feeling right now...'' Steele said slowly.
''If we're gonna get set upon by some derranged Autobots, then we'd have picked them up on our scanning systems. Now, I dunno 'bout you, but I the only thing I can see is road, road and more slagging road!'' Roadtrain growled. ''Oh, and alot of wreckages, too.'' He added, a little more calmly.
Silence then claimed all three and they travelled further without another word, the sounds comming from their engines and treads as they made their way across the twisted and scarred metallic surface of Cybertron. It didn't take too long for Hookshot to break the silence.
''What's that...?'' He mused almost to himself.
In the distance, there was the slight sound of large, metal caterpillars grating across the road surface, crushing everything that got in its owners way.
''Nuts.'' Roadtrain hissed as a familiar ID appeared on his radar. ''Autobots.''
''Four of them.'' Hookshot corrected.
''What did I say? What did I say about that weird feeling I get?'' Steele said hastily.
All three sped up, moving as fast as they dared on the littered roadway. Roadtrain's load shifted from side to side as he moved.
''I'm not in the mood for a fight!'' He snarled unhappily.
''We may have to fight.'' Hookshot said.
''Yeah, if we lose this load, especially without putting up a fight, Krusher's gonna be more than slagged off.'' Steele added earnestly.

The four Autobots were gaining on them faster than they had anticipated.
''Oh dear Primus no! It's Raid. And he's brought some friends.'' Steele whined.
''We have to stand and fight! I'd, personally rather face off against Raid than Krusher.'' Hookshot said. ''Carry on Roadtrain, we'll try and slow them down.''
Roadtrain needed no encouraging. As the Constructicons had started to slow, he had already sped up. Both Constructicons applied their brakes, their treads stopping dead, sending up sparks as they slid to a halt in the metallic, debris littered road. Both started their transformation sequences, standing upright, taking a defensive stance.
''Oh no...'' Steele muttered. ''Roadtrain's screwed...''
Solar streaked past, a blur of yellows, oranges and reds soaring over their heads. The sound of laser fire immediately rang out behind them and they heard Roadtrain's string of curses as his load clattered to the ground. Hookshot hazarded a quick look over his shoulder. Roadtrain had been upturned, wheels spinning with an angry whirring, the Space Bridge parts hanging from his buck, whilst some of the smaller pieces had escaped onto the road. Solar was circling above him, waiting for the transporter's next move. Then Flashpoint lept from vehicle mode and slammed into Hookshot, tackling him to the ground, sending up white hot sparks around them both. Speeder and Blue Falcon descended on Steele; Speeder driving hard into his legs, removing his feet from beneath him, and Blue Falcon following Flashpoint's display of a flying tackle. All three landed hard. Raid made his way up Hookshot as he fought to free himself of the Autobot medic. Both cannon muzzles leveled on the Constructicon. There was a slight whistling sound as he charged two shots. Hookshot froze, arm braced against Flashpoint's neck, holding him back. Even Steele had stopped dead when the large tank had approached.
''We can do this easy way, or the hard way.'' Raid rumbled. ''Surrender your half of the Space Bridge, or I blow you all to pieces.''
''What?!'' Hookshot yelped as Flashpoint moved hastily out of the way.

The Constructicon stayed glued to the spot, sprawled out on the ground, red optics wide as he stared into the glowing end of one wide gun barrel. He dimly heard Roadtrain growl something, but the words refused to compute with his mind.
''I said, we can make a deal.'' Roadtrain said a little more loudly, gaining everyone's attention.
He was still lay on his side in vehicle mode with half of his load spilled in the road.
''A deal with a Decepticon?'' Solar snorted dismissively as he transformed and landed warily next to Roadtrain.
''Yeah. Exactly. We'll make you a deal.'' Roadtrain said more firmly this time.
Raid hesitated.
''What kind of deal...?'' He enquired slowly, keeping his cannons trained on Hookshot.
''You rough us up a little to make it look like we put up a fight, and you get the parts.'' He replied.
''What?!'' This time it came from Steele.
''So, what you're saying, is that we get the Bridge parts you're transporting in exchange for beating you up?'' Blue Falcon asked slowly, not sure if what he'd heard was right. ''I'm sure I got dust in my audio receptors...''
''No, that's exactly what I mean. That way, we all win. Sort of. You get half of what you want, and we only get a minor beating from Krusher, instead of the slow, agonizing death he promised us if we failed miserably.''
Speeder and Blue Falcon looked at the smaller Constructicon, a wicked flicker briefly playing behind their lenses.
''You've got a strange sense of logic, Roadtrain.'' Raid said with a mildly amused tone. ''But, either way, I'm going to take you up on your deal.''
Hookshot groaned and Steele whimpered.
''I'm gonna beat the bolts out of you myself if we survive this one, Roady.'' Hookshot growled angrily as Flashpoint's balled fist came down on him.



Jetstream stood in the command room of the small base. Some of the security locks had been hacked and some minor equiptment and half the Energon cache had been pilfered by the Autobots and some Neutrals, but other than that, everything was still in working order. Though she might not be once Krusher arrives and sees for himself what had been taken during his absence. And that moment would be happening some time soon. She continued pacing back and forth, walking to one side of the dark room, and back to the other, hands at her back, head dipped low as if deep in thought. She hoped that he'd hurry up and arrive sooner rather than later. She had to personally report back to Decepticon headquarters at the end of the day, and the sun was fast setting once more, casting this side of the planet in darkness. It was something Megatron had personally ordered of all those who did scout work and intelligence work. It was time consuming, yes. But it helped weedle out the majority of the spies. She stopped her pacing at the sounds of activity outside. She approached a small monitor that was tucked away in the darkest corner of the room and switched in on. The flat screen crackled momentarily then gave a view of the main courtyard. Krusher had landed and was now being unloaded. She recognised Flare and Turbulance, but the one who bore an uncanny resemblance to Krusher, she didn't recognise. She turned away from the screen and walked out of the large room and proceeded to navigate the maze of corridoors until she was outside.
''Need a hand?'' She asked as she approached them.
''Heard anything from Roadtrain?'' Krusher asked, blatantly ignoring her question.
Jetstream shook her head.
''No. I lost contact a little while ago. I was hoping either of you had heard from them.'' She replied with a hint of concern.
She then looked the unfamiliar Decepticon over as he placed a large metallic crate down atop another of similiar size.
''I don't believe we've met.'' She prompted.
''I'm Burnout. I work under the command of Crash.'' He said bluntly and retrieved another crate from Krusher's cargo hold.
''It was him and Crash who rescued me.'' Flare said, her voice just loud enough for only Jetstream to hear.

As Turbulance brought out the final length of pipe, Krusher rose to his feet, seemingly glaring down at Jetstream as his armour shifted and folded around his bipedal form.
''Try and contact him, then.'' He growled. Then he turned around and fixed his glare on Turbulance. ''Give me the Teleport Modulator now!'' He ordered.
Turbulance returned the glare and produced the small device, cracking open one of the smaller crates and depositing it within.
''There. Now can I leave?'' He muttered.
As an answer, Krusher ignored him and turned his attentions to Flare and Burnout. Turbulance grumbled and took off, transforming back into jet mode and disappearing into the gathering clouds.
''Have you heard from Crash?'' Krusher asked.
Burnout shook his head.
''EMP interferance. I can't get a signal through to him.'' Burnout replied.
Jetstream had hurried back inside to try and contact the other convoy, but to no avail. Each time she opened a line to either Roadtrain, Hookshot or Steele, she was greeted by nothing but fractured static. She grumbled impatiently. She wanted to get her report over and done with as soon as possible. It was never something she looked forward to. Soundwave gave her the creeps...
Krusher, Burnout and Flare joined her. Soon, every monitor in the room was alight, pale blues flooding the chamber, giving it light. There was a moment of silence, then a familiar voice crackled through the speakers in the main console.
''Hoo... base, request..... Badly damaged..... Sen... Coordin....'' The voice was fractured and perforated with buzzing and crackling static.
''That's Hookshot.'' Flare stated bluntly.
Jetstream stared intently at the information that was being pumped onto her small monitor, that her gaze almost became a glare.
''I have their coordinates. There's Autobot activity in the area.'' She said as she deciphered the fractured transmission.
''Raid, Flashpoint, Speeder.... Uh... I can't make out the other. There's too much static.'' Flare said and continued to fiddle with the instrumentation at her chosen station.
''Blue Falcon.'' Krusher finished for her after a moment.

''Any word of Crash?'' Burnout asked.
''None.'' Jetstream replied. ''I'll keep trying to contact him.'' She said, all thoughts of her report fleeing her mind.
''Flare, you'll be comming with me and Burnout. We'll go see why they need a lift.'' Krusher grumbled.
The smaller Decepticon hesitated then hurried to follow Burnout as he walked with Krusher from the chamber. Once outside, they made a hasty transformation and took off in search for their comrades.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment