Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Untitled

This was inspired by a picture called At The College Library, created by silverstar. Basicly, we had to write a story about someone isolated from society and I created my own characters based on Seto and Mokuba Kaiba. Hope you like it

Chapter 1 - Untitled

Chapter 1 - Untitled
English Writing Paper 2004 Task 16

Write a short story about a character who is isolated from society

        The room was shrouded in darkness, except for the light from the laptop screen. His sapphire blue eyes shone in the tiny speck of light in the room. How he longed to be free like the bird on his laptop's background. The door slowly swung open as a secretary came in, bringing a strip of light into the room and along the floor behind her.

        ``More papers for you to look through and sign, Mr Kazana,'' said the secretary, placing them on the desk and leaving.

        The man looked up from the laptop, gazed at the big pile of sheets and sighed.

        ``Why did you have to be born into a rich family, Theo'' the man questioned himself.

        Theodore Kazana was the CEO of Kazana Industries, a company which his father created and Theo had to run it. His father thought Theo would love to be the boss of a multi-million-making company. Theo didn't love it, but he didn't want to upset his father so he took the job on. The world was used to the image of Theodore Kazana, the emotionless owner of Kazana Industries. Some thought he wasn't human, the way he ran the company with an iron fist and the way he always stayed on task. Theo didn't like this image of him they had. It was because his father was like that so they expected Theo to be the same. If only the world would accept the real Theo, the one his brother saw.

        Five years earlier, life was much easier. Theo was 15, and his brother, Kuta, was 12. They stayed in a big mansion at the other side of town. Theo knew of his father's plans, but Kuta was not to hear of them until he was Theo's age. Theo decided to ignore the plans until the time came to take over Kazana Industries.

        His father was at the end of his rope, nearing the one-way trip to heaven. It was his dying wish for Theo and Kuta to take over Kazana Industries when they were 18. Kuta didn't need to know this straight away. Theo wanted to carry out this wish, though he didn't like it at the time. His family had a reputation in the business world and their father wanted them to continue it.

        When Theo wasn't being tutored for the skills he'd need to take over the company, he played with Kuta in the large gardens of the mansion. They had all the toys a child could ever ask for and Kuta loved it. Nobody outside the mansion ever knew the child Theo, only the businessman Theo. Not many saw the businessman Theo smile either, but he smiled plenty times when he was younger.

        He longed to go back to this time, when his actions didn't have such big consequences or when he could thoroughly enjoy himself with his little brother, to not be afraid of what the papers publish about you, .......

        A loud noise from the laptop brought Theo back from daydream-land. It was 11 o'clock at night. He thought that was enough work for tonight. He shut down the laptop and placed it into his suitcase along with the last of the papers. He traveled to the door in complete silence and darkness. He reached for the door, surveying the room one last time. His eyes were used to the dark so he could see everything. His office was spotless, everything tidy and in the right place. He went out the door and locked it.

        The clothes he was wearing made him look cold and ruthless in the world of business. He was wearing a pure ice-blue trench coat with a black shirt and black trousers. The belt and the silver suitcase had the Kazana Industries logo on them. The people he passed bowed to him as he walked down the corridor towards the exit, some quietly saying ``Mr Kazana'' or ``Sir''.

        He walked out the door into the cold night. There were distant noises of cars bustling in town and boy racers revving their engines. How Mr Kazana longed to be one of them, out there with the wind blowing in his hair, racing in fast cars without a care in the world. But no, he was picked to be the big boss of a big company. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his car keys. He pushed the button and the door opened up automatically. He stepped lightly into the metallic blue, speedy car. He wished for the chance to be one of the crowd, have plenty friends to hang around with, like all the other 'commoners', as his father called them. Theo promised never to call them that as they were just like him inside, no matter what they had or how much money they owned. He was stuck in this life now. He should have changed it when he was younger but he never wanted to let his father down.

        The door shut on the car and the engine started. All he wanted now was to get home and sleep, to let his mind wander in his own world of dreams. Maybe when Kuta starts to run the business with him next year things would become easier, he thought. Anything to him was fun if his brother helped him with it. Kuta might be 17, but he still acts like a child. They still had fun together, played games and helped each other out. They were brothers after all, ones that got along with each other.

        He passed a small diner on the outskirts of town where couples usually go. He thought of finding the right girl for him, the real Theo, not the businessman Theo. He thought of his best friend from school, Nami. He had feelings for her, but wasn't ready to admit it. He would be able to do this with Kuta's help and a bit more confidence.

        The car was so fast he got to the mansion in a matter of minutes, but it seemed longer because of his dreaming. Even though some memories weren't happy, he liked being at the mansion rather than at work. The butler came to the door and held it open for Theo.

        ``Welcome home, sir,'' the butler said.

        ``Thank you, Jones,'' said Theo.

        He walked in and saw all the maids standing in two lines, a line at both side of the hall.

        ``Welcome home, Mr Kazana,'' they all said and bowed to him.

        ``Thank you all,'' said Theo, a smile coming across his face.

        The maids continued to bow as Mr Kazana walked down the hall, only scuffling to their jobs when he passed them. Jones followed Mr Kazana to the stairs where they both stopped.

        ``Is Kuta asleep?'' asked Theo.

        ``Master Kazana was studying until 10 o'clock, but sadly fell asleep. We left him there, he looked peaceful.''

        ``OK. I'll leave him until morning. I'm going to sleep now. Goodnight, Jones,'' Mr Kazana said, walking up the stairs.

        ``Goodnight , sir,'' said Jones, returning to his other duties.

        Theo walked along the corridor upstairs and thought he might as well check on his little brother. Sure enough, he was sitting at his desk, pencil behind his ear and fast asleep. His long brown hair covered most of his face. He looked like the younger Kuta. Kuta tended to fall asleep often when he was younger. It made Theo think back to when they were younger again.

        Theo closed the door and walked to his room. The 4 poster bed was ready made for him. He decided to go for a shower in the morning, he was so tired. He sat the suitcase on the bedside cabinet and turned to the wardrobe. He took out his pyjamas from the drawer and turned to the double doors of the wardrobe. He took off the suit and put on the pyjamas, returning the suit to the wardrobe and took out a robe for the morning. He sat the robe on his chair and went to close the curtains.

        He sat on his bed for a moment, hoping his life would become easier. He lay on the bed, pulling the covers over him, put off the lamp beside him and fell asleep, dreaming of his future and his hopes.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Rayne06 on March 30, 2006, 11:45:06 PM

Rayne06 on
Rayne06Great Story! Shoulda been a 1!