Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Chapter 7: Betrayal

Nina, a young shaman from Etruria, is suddenly thrust into an adventure with her best friends Selinia and Cadoc. She must solve the riddle of the Ruler of Darkness, as well as avoid being captured.

Chapter 8 - Chapter 7: Betrayal

Chapter 8 - Chapter 7: Betrayal






Ellie made brekfast for everybody when they woke up, and packed food for them on their way back home.



“Thank you very much for letting us stay.” Nina said to Ellie.



“Any time children. Maybe we will see you again someday.”



“Please come back to visit!” One of the children said.



“Hee hee. Don't worry, we will come see you when we can!” Selinia chuckled.



“Hurrah!” All the children exclaimed, making Nina and Selinia laugh.



“Be careful now.” Ellie warned.



“We will be fine, thank you Elder.” Cadoc said.



“Goodbye.” Riko added.



They all waved as Nina, Selinia, Cadoc, and Riko walked away. Pretty soon, trees hid the village.



“So, do you know how to get home from here brother?”



“Yes, one of the villagers told me it should take no longer than a day and a half to get back home.”



“Thank goodness. Your parents are probably worried.” Nina said.



They walked on until the sun dissappeared and the moon took its place in the sky. The food Ellie packed for them was just as good as the meal they had eaten at the village. She had even given them blankets to keep warm with. They started a campfire and relaxed. Selinia and Cadoc had already fallen asleep. Nina was almost asleep as well, until she saw Riko still sitting by the fire. He was staring into the flames; his gazed fix as if he was in a deep thought. Wondering if something was wrong, se got up and sat beside him.



“Are you okay Riko?”



He seemed startled and jumped a little when he heard her voice. “Oh, yes I am fine. Aren't you suppose to be sleeping?”



“I was going to ask you the same. You seem troubled. Something wrong?”



“No. I was just…thinking.”



“About?”



“Just…stuff.”



“Is there something you want to talk about?”



“No. Well…I would like to, but…I can't really…it's just…”



“I understand. You are always so quiet though. I know we don't really know each other well, but if you ever need anything you can just ask. Any of us will talk if you want to. We are all together, and we owe you. You helped us escape. If it weren't for you, who knows what would have happened.”



“You really don't need to thank me. Why are you so trusting of a stranger? I know Selinia and Cadoc aren't.”



“Well, you did seem a little suspicious. But you aren't a stranger anymore. You are a friend, all of us are. If I thought you couldn't be trusted, than I wouldn't be talking with you right now. And if Cadoc and Selinia didn't trust you, you wouldn't still be with us.”



“Right…you are a nice person Nina. You and your friends.”



For a moment there was silence. Only the crackling flames and the songs of crickets could be heard. Selinia mumbled something about burnt toast. Nina stood up. “Well, I'm going to get to sleep now. You should get some rest too. Remember, if you ever want somebody to talk to, we are here.”



“Thanks. Someday, I will tell you, when the time is right. Goodnight.”



“Night.” Nina lay back in her blanket, and fell fast asleep.

*******************************************************************************

“I'm so glad we are almost home!” Selinia had been excited all morning. It was only about an hour longer before they would all be back at Selinia and Cadoc's house.



“I am too Selinia, but please, be a little more quiet.” Cadoc said, clearly beginning to get irritated.



“I'm sorry brother. It's just so much has happened. I wanted to have fun with Nina for the week we could, not be captured and locked up in the middle of nowhere.”



A man was standing in the middle of the trail, and the group stopped.



“We have been waiting for you.”



“Wh…what?” Nina asked.



The man smirked. “Good job son.”



Nina was completely confused. Riko stepped forward, and stood next to the man. Then she noticed that the man looked amazingly like Riko, only much older.



“What is going on?” Cadoc demanded to know. Riko and his father were joined by more people, and far-outnumbered Nina, Selinia, and Cadoc.



“No! Riko, you liar!” Selinia screamed.



“I never lied to you.”



“You said we could trust you!”



“I don't recall saying that. If I remember correctly, I had told you that I didn't expect you to trust me. You simply went ahead and gave me your trust anyway.”



“Riko, this isn't happening. You would never betray us. You are my friend!” Nina cried out. Riko said nothing.



“You scoundrel!” Cadoc said.



Riko's father smiled. “Get them.”



Selinia and Cadoc were immediately attacked. Riko's father stepped towards Nina. “We have finally found you. After all these years. You will die here. Riko, you will have the honor to defeat her.” Riko's father kicked Nina down to the ground. Riko didn't move. “What are you waiting for son? Kill her!” Riko unsheathed his sword and walked over to Nina. Nina couldn't believe it. Is this what Riko was talking about last night? She thought she could trust him. Selinia and Cadoc were too busy fighting to stop Riko. Unable to defend herself, and without a weapon, Nina couldn't do anything. She closed her eyes as he brought his blade to her neck.




Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment