Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Without You

AIDA the Musical: Songfic: AU

Aida escapes with her father, leaving Radames on Egyptian soil. As they both contemplate love and loss, they asess the future that lies for them both.

~Songfic to RENT's "Without You"~

Chapter 1 - Without You

Chapter 1 - Without You
She has traveled the Niletwice in one week.  One time led her intoslavery, the other took her home. Freedom. That waswhat she wanted, she was sure of it. She didn’t expect to fall in love,especially with the enemy. She loved him, yet in a sense betrayed him. Theguilt still tore at her, and she wondered why going home left her with suchanguish. The answer was obvious. Him.
 
“Aida,”Amonasro said gently, observing his daughter’s melancholy behavior. Could shebe thinking of that Egyptian filth? Was that man causing the pain in her eyes?Perhaps it was the death of Henu’s boy, Mereb. “Sleep, daughter. We’re free.” Aida nodded, butcontinued that saddened gaze over the river.
 
~*~Without you,
 
        the groundthaws
      
       The rain falls
       
        The grass grows~*~*
 
Tearsstung at the back of Aida’s eyes, threatening to fall. She’d lost many lovedones in a week. Mereb, Nehebka…bothwhom Aida was sure she would see in the next life. Radames, however….Aida letout a soft, broken sob, a sound not unnoticed by Amonasro. Radames might aswell be dead to her forever.
 
~*~Without you,
 
 the seeds root
      
theflowers bloom
    
 the children play
    
thestars gleam
   
 the poets dream~*~
 
Onthe shore, Radames stared out at the river. His shoulders heaved from anger andutter dejection threatening to break free. She was gone. Not traveling gone, oreven dead gone. She was gone…gone from his life.
 
“They’regone because of you,” Zoser said maliciously. “You shame me.”
 
“Funny,I think the same of you,” Radames replied curtly.
 
“Notonly has the enemy escaped,” Zoser kept his gaze even with Radames’ glare. “Butso has your distraction.”
 
~*~Without you,
 
 the earth turns
     
 
 the sun burns
    
 but I die without you
     
 but I die withoutyou~*~
 
“Whatseparates us, Father,” Radames said icily. “Is that I contain love,compassion…”
 
“Loyalty?” Zoser chuckled. “These traits from a boy whose sword ended countlesslives…”
 
 
“Likeit ever bothered you!”
 
“Aman, betrothed, going behind his destined to fool with a mere slave!” Zosertapped his chin. “Pardon me. A princess disguised as a slave. Tell me, Radames.You claim to be capable of love, so answer this. Did you ever love Amneris?”
 
“Didyou ever love Mother?” Radames tossed back, but Zoser had blended into thenight. “I have always loved Amneris,” he whispered to the warm breeze. “Butshe’s not Aida.”
 
~*~The breeze warms
     
 the girl smiles
      
theclouds move
    
 without you~*~
 
“Father,why don’t I take over?” Aida gestured toward the oars.
 
“Areyou up to it?” a concerned, yet tired Amonasro asked. Aida nodded. Anything to get her mind off the sun-kissed blond hair, river blueeyes, smile, and rhythmic laughter. Aida  took her fathers place, while hesettled in for a rest. Once his eyes closed, Aida’s eyes spilled with uncheckedtears. A breeze swept at her neck, painfully reminding her of a hand caressingher neck as its owner whispered impossible dreams in her ear.
 
~*~Tideschange
    
 boys run
    
 oceans crash
    
crowds roar
   
days soar
   
babies cry
    
without you~*~
 
“Radames! Radames!” Amneris rushed up to him as hewalked stiff-legged into the palace. Confusion flecked her blue eyes.Obviously, not much light had been shed on the topic of what just happened.“All I know is that the king of Nubiaescaped,” her gaze turned frantic. “I can’t find Aida anywhere!” Radames openedand closed his mouth a few times, but no words came. He simply shook his head.
 
“Idon’t know…I haven’t seen her,” he nearly choked on the lie. Amneris turned tohim.
 
“Why?”she whispered.
 
“Why what?” Radames said distantly.
 
“Whydon’t I believe you?”
 
~*~The moon glows
    
 The river flows
    
 But I die
    
 Without you~*
 
“Somethingbothers you, Aida,” Amonasro said in a soft voice, his eyes closed. For thisAida was grateful. He couldn’t see the tears that stained her cheeks.
 
“Areyou hungry, father? We didn’t pack anything, but…”
 
“Youavoid my question, daughter.”
 
“No, father.”
 
“Noto what? My commenting on something bothering you, or youavoiding my question?” Amonasro opened his eyes.
 
“Both,I suppose,” Aida smiled.
 
“You’recrying. Why?” Amonasro sat up and studied her. He never failed to pick up onAida’s emotions. Aida sighed.
 
“A mix. I’m happy to be going home, but I’m so miserable that Mereb won’t be coming. He asked me to take him home,father. It was his last wish,” Aida was telling the truth, just leaving Radamesout of it.
 
“Mereb. An inquisitive boy, butnonetheless a charmer,” Amonasro recalled. Aida bit back a fresh delugeof tears, and nodded. “I feel you are hiding something.”
 
“Nothing, father. I’ve nothing to hide,” Aida raised her chin andsmiled. Nothing…
 
~*~The world revives
      
Colorsrenew
     
 But I know blue
    
 Only blue
      
Lonelyblue
      
Withinme blue
       
 Without you~*~
 
Amonasrocaught a flicker of sadness in Aida’s eyes. It was then that it dawned on him.It WAS…it WAS…the captain. The Egyptian captain…Radames, was it? Amonasro satback in disbelief, and looked at his daughter. Lovesick.That’s what she was…mourning. Mourning over a lost love.
 
~*~Without you
      
thehand gropes
     
 the ear hears
     
 the pulse beats~*~
 
“Why…whywouldn’t you believe me, Neris?” Radames slowly turned to face her.
 
“Somethingin my heart tells me you aren’t being totally honest. I don’t know, Radames. Isuppose,” Amneris’ voice became strong. “People may not think I’m able tohandle life beyond fashion, accessories and make-up. I hear, Radames, and Isee. Above all, I know.”
 
“Know?”Radames’ throat became dry. Amneris looked at him, tears filling her eyes.
 
“You and Aida.”
 
~*~Without you
   
 the eyes gaze
    
thelegs walk
    
thelungs breathe~*~
 
“Amneris, it’s not…no. There isn’t anything between your handmaidenand I.”
 
“Isn’t,right. Wasn’t…Oh, Radames. You can’t lie to me. I see how you look at her, andshe at you. I put aside my feelings, and masked it with an oblivious nature.Wasn’t, isn’t…it doesn’t much matter. She’s my best friend, Radames, and quitefrankly, I demand to know where she is!”
 
“Neris…Inever…”Radames murmured. Amneris smiled vaguely and looked at him, expecting ananswer. “She’s gone.”
 
“Gone?Gone where?”
 
“Just…gone!” Unable to control himself, he turned and rushed from the room. Amneriscould only watch him go, his name on her lips.
 
~*~The mind churns
   
 the heart yearns
    
thetears dry
 
  without you
   
 Life goes on
   
 But I’m gone
    
CauseI die~*~
 
Onthe shores of Nubia,Aida stood stiff and regal. Her tears had dried on her face. She felt she hadno tears left in her entire body. She didn’t feel anything. She was numb to thecore. Mereb, faithful Mereb….sweet, encouraging Nehebka….Radames….Radames…Radames.
 
“Daughter,”Amonasro came up and rested a hand on her shoulder. “Time tomove on.”
 
“Yes…”Aida nodded slowly.
 
“You’rehome.”
 
~*~Without you
     
Withoutyou
  
 Without you
    
Withoutyou~*~
 
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment