Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 34 - Ghost of a Chance

On the first day of the new school year, Emi Ishida and her brother TK find the Digital World in danger all over again. With Azukia and Kari back from the old days and a collection of newbies, can they save the Digital World again?

Chapter 34 - Ghost of a Chance

Chapter 34 - Ghost of a Chance
(I apologize for the massive amount of grammar/spelling errors in this story. I type it in bbc code, so I can't check them and it's usually too late at night to do so. ^^;)



"Sir, we need you right away!" The woman slammed her palms into Mr. Ishida's desk. He looked up.
"The shadow?" He gasped, "Oh no! Not again!"
******

"Hey, Tokyo Tower!" Mimi cried, pointing at the tall structure that looked like the Eiffel tower. She was Sora, Yolei, and Casey. Ashi had came along, too, and although she watched the older Digi-Destined with awe, she didn't saying anything, "I did my first fashion shoot here."
"That was so much fun!" Casey said, linking her arm around her cousin's, "You looked amazing." Mimi giggled.
"It looks better than the last time I saw it." Sora said, hands on her hips.
"Is it true a digimon leveled it?" Yolei asked. Poromon was clutched to her chest. Houndmon was standing next to Casey, on all fours as usual.
"Yup." said Mimi, "And he almost demolished the entire city, too."
"Would have if we hadn't been there." Casey said as she nodded.
"Why did he have to destroy the tower?" asked Yolei, "Why couldn't he have blasted my dentist office instead?"
******

"And that, students, is how we determine the speed of the pie when it hit the clown in the face." Joe scribbled down the diagram his teacher had just drawn on the door.
"Please let the bell ring." He begged under his breath, "Please get me out of here."
******

"The mall is crowded, as usual." TK said. He, Emi, and Matt had gone to the mall. This time, however, they brought along Ashlee. TK was carrying Patamon in his arms, Sunmon was peeping over the top of Emi's bag, and Ririmon was trotting along next to Ashlee, looking around with eyes full of wonder.
"This anniversary is making me think about all the digimon we lost." said Matt. Emi nodded solmnly (A/N: Don't judge me. XD)
"I know what you mean." said TK. They stopped and looked in the window of one shop. There was nothing in it but a love seat and a few framed paintings. Ashlee stopped, too, although she didn't know what they were talking about. She couldn't imagine losing Ririmon, "I keep seeing their faces."
An image appeared in the glass of a Gotsumon wearing suspenders a girl with a pumpking for a head that had an axe buried in it.
"Dont be thinking about Gotsumon. He's just fine. Azukia makes sure of that." Emi said.
"Sure are lots of good memories." said Matt.
"Mm-hm," Emi and TK chorused.
******

"My mom won't be home for awhile. She's at a "Cooking with Fungus" class." Tai said. The rest of the group was at his apartment. He and Azukia were in chairs facing backwards, leaning against the backs. Kari, Davis, and Ashlyn were sharing the bottom bunk of Tai and Kari's room. Izzy, Tara, and Cody were sitting on the floor.
"While she's gone, I thought we could do an experiment." Izzy said.
"'Course you did." Azukia muttered.
"What kind of experiment?" Davis asked.
"It's simple," said Izzy, "It has to do with the Digi-Port."
"Digi-Port?" Kari asked, "But how are we supposed to do an experiment here?"
"Yeah, the only portal we know of is at the school and we can't access it." Tara pointed out.
"Right," said Izzy, "We always have to use the computer in the school computer lab to travel to and from the Digital World. But what if we program our D-3 digivices to open the Digi-Port from our home computers, too?"
"Yeah, but that's easier said than done, Izzy." said Cody, "Where do we begin?"
"See, that's where it gets a little foggy. I have a couple of theories, but I'm not real sure." Izzy said, rubbing his head.
"Typical." Azukia scoffed.
"Oh, no body asked you, Azukia!" Izzy snapped.
"Come on Izzy, let's here 'em." Tai encouraged, leaning towards Izzy.
"Okay, here's the thing: We've always just assumed the computer is the key to opening the Digi-Port. My theory is that the computer is incidental and that the D-3s are the true power of the Digi-Port."
"These things?" Asked Ashlyn, holding up her digivice.
"Right." Izzy said, "I've suspected it for some time now, but I didn't say anything because I didn't have enough proof to be sure. Now with the school's computer lab being used for detention and our access to the Digi-Port being limited, the Digimon Emperor might do some damage while we're stuck looking for an entrance to the Digital World."
"That's a really good theory, Izzy, but where are we supposed to open the Digi-Port?" Tai asked.
"Right here."
"Huh?" The group at large asked. Izzy stood up and pointed to the computer in the corner of the room.
"We'll open right here. See? According to my theory the D-3 is all we need to open the portal. But if I'm wrong, it could be dangerous."
"Then we shouldn't do it." Azukia said, eyes wide with horror, "We'll all die."
"Oh, nobody asked you Azukia!" Izzy said again, "Well? Who's the first guinea pig? Davis- why don't you give it a try?"
"What? Who? Me?" Davis said, pointing to himself.
"No, he means the OTHER boy with goggles." said Tara.
"Oh. Where is he?" Davis asked. Tara slapped herself in the face.
******

A few minutes later, they were able to get Davis ready. The gate image flased onto the screen, showing the red light that meant that it wasn't online.
"Alright, here goes." said Davis. He lifted his blue digivice to the screen, "Digi-Port Open!"
There was a pause while the computer beeped as everyone held their breath. Then the green light flicked on. The group exhaled.
"I can't believe it!" said Cody, "Nice work, Izzy."
"He didn't DO anything." Azukia said.
"Let's go through!" Davis said, turning back to the group.
"Huh?" They all asked, freezing mid-cheer.
"We need to test the Digi-Port." Everyone grinned. Davis lifted his D-3 to the screen one more time and-
"I'm home!" Tai's mom called from the hallway. She spotted the Tara, Davis, Izzy, and Cody's shoes. Azukia and Ashley were always over, so she didn't even notice them, "I better make fungus cookies."
"We can't go." Tai said, "My mom is home early."
"But...But..." Davis protested.
"It's a no-go, Davis." Azukia said.
"My mom saw our shoes by the door. If she comes up here and we're all gone, we're toast." said Tai.
"He's right." Cody said. Davis looked back at the computer. The gate went offline.
"Aw man," Tara said.
"I wanted to see my theory through..." Izzy said.
"Don't worry, Izzy, you'll get your chance soon enough." Said Tai, "I wish we would have known about this earlier; it might have saved us some close calls with our parents."
"Yeah, I know. I should have said something sooner."
"No need to sweat it. It's not your fault. Nice job, Izzy."
"Now that we know the D-3 can open the portal from any one of our homes, we're going to have to be extra careful." said Cody.
"Why?" asked Kari. There was a knock on the door and the group froze. Kari and Tai's mom peeked in through the door.
"Hey kids."
"Hey." said Izzy, Davis, Tara, and Cody.
"Hi mom." said Kari and Tai.
"Hello, Ms. Kamiya." said Azukia and Ashlyn.
"I hope everyone is hungry!" Ms. Kamiya sang as she shut the door and left.
"Because of just that, Kari." said Izzy, "Keeping a secret from our family becomes harder when they can barge in on us at any second."
"I can't imagine if our mother came into our room in the night and we weren't there." Kari said, "She'd probably call the National Gaurd and the Army."
"Azukia and I don't have to worry about that." Ashlyn said quietly. Both of their parents had died; their father when they were younger and their mother when Myotismon had attacked the city four years ago.
"We're just going to have to work out some sort of plan." said Izzy.
******

A clap of thunder pealed across the sky and a dark storm cloud rolled in over the TV studio. The group was together again.
"Did you see that dark cloud?" Kari asked, "It just came out of nowhere."
"Those weather men are always wrong." TK said. Multiple bolts of lightenting struck the ground as they watched. One hit the building, causing it light up with electricty for a few seconds.
"Something here isn't right!" Davis announced.
******

Inside, the electricity was out. There was mass panic and people were swarming down the hallway, screaming at the top of their lungs. Mr. Ishida ran out of his office just in time to see a dark shadow glide across the floor.
"Huh?" He watched it float away, going to the opposite way of the running people and then double back, "Not again!"
******

"It's the ghost!"
"It's after us!"
"Help!"
The group of Digi-Destined watched as a stream of people rushed by them, all shouting and running as fast as they could. Gatomon gasped and ran straight into the building.
"Gatomon!" Kari shouted. The group ran after her.
******

A white computer was sitting in a vacated office. A few spurts of static filled the room and then it's screen flicked on, turning bright blue.
"Gatomon! Gatomon!" Said a shakey voice.
Gatomon ran into the room and then stood up. She stared at the ceiling.
"Gatomon, what's up?" Nyamon asked, bouncing over to her friend. The entire group looked up at the ceiling. A dark shadow was spinning around and around.
"It's the ghost!" TK gasped.
"Who ya gonna call?" asked Emi.
"Ghost Busters?" Ashlyn asked, taking a step backward and looking scared out of her wits. The desks began to shake and then a stack of neat flyers flew at the group, scattering across the room.
"What's going on?" Ashlee demanded.
"Gatomon!" The voice came again as pink text ran across the computer screen.
"What does it want?" Davis shouted, hands over his ears.
"You're asking us?" Tai shouted back.
"It wants me." Gatomon said, taking a step froward and then addressing the shadow, "I'm here. I'm right here. What do you want?"
"Davis, I think she flipped her lid." Demiveemon said. Davis was holding him against his chest with one arm. He leapt out of Davis' arms and landed on the ground. He and the rest of the In-Training digimon made a line in front of the humans.
"Are you guys sure this is such a good idea?" Yolei asked.
"We've got to save Gatomon!" Chibimon said.
"Demiveemon digivolve to...Veemon!"
"Nyamon digivolve to...Nekomon!"
"Oompamon digivolve to...Armadillomon!"
"Chibimon digivolve to...Canimon!"
"Rishumon digivolve to...Rikumon!"
"Poromon digivolve to...Hawkmon!"
"Ririmon digivolve to...Ariamon!"
"Sunmon digivolve to...Coronamon!"
"Go get 'em!" Ashi said. Rikumon nodded.
"I assume that it is a servant of the Digimon Emperor, sent here to frighten us." said Hawkmon.
"He doesn't have a ghost of a chance!" cried Tara. (A/N: If you're a ghost, then I'm straight...Lawlz.)
"Funny." said Ashlee. The group lurched forward.
"Wait!" Gatomon shouted. She skidded in front of them and threw her arms out. Then she turned back to the computer, "I'm here!" The text on the screen was deleted and a single bright pink word appeared in the center of the screen: Gatomon.
"Gatomon..." Came the unearthly voice. The screen filled with Gatomon's name, spelled again and again in no apparent order.
"Don't move, guys." Gatomon instructed. The shadow circling the cieling began to slow.
"Gatomon!" Cody shouted, "Run for it!" Gatomon, however, didn't move. The shadow glided down the wall and across the floor, halting in front of the white cat.
"It's your funeral, stupid cat!" Houndmon exclaimed.
"Wizardmon!" Gatomon said. The group of previous Digi-Destined gasped. The see-through form of a small man with blonde hair dressed in wizard robes rose from shadow. Gatomon smiled tearfully.
"Gatomon. I'm glad you've come." Wizardmon said.
"Wizardmon!" Kari said, smiling.
"A friend of your's?" asked Cody.
"I sure hope so." said Yolei. She sounded paniced.
"Wizardmon," Gatomon said, "It's so good to see you again."
"I need to tell you something, Gatomon." said Wizardmon.
"What is it, old friend?"
"A great enemy. You cannot beat him as you are now."
"Does he- Does he mean the Digimon Emperor?" Ashlyn stammered.
"Your enemy is not only the Digimon Emperor, but a much greater darkness. The darkness...it cannot be defeated with strength alone. You must return one wrapped in darkness to his old self."
"Wha? True self?" Gatomon repeated.
"Kindness," said Wizardmon, "will release the golden radiance."
"Kindness?" Yolei demanded, "I hope he doesn't mean we have to be nice to Ken."
"Well, you'll have trouble with that, won't you?" Emi said. Yolei growled at her.
"Kindness alone will not prevail, Gatomon," Wizardmon warned, "The golden radiance is also necessary."
"I see," Gatomon said with a nod, "But-"
"You don't have much time. You must hurry. Good-bye, my friend."
"But wait-" Nekomon began.
"I can't." said Wizardmon, "Gatomon- be careful."
"Wizardmon!" Gatomon shouted, reaching one claw out towards the other digimon. Wizardmon did the same, but his gloved hand went through Gatomon's. Gatomon gasped, her eyes shining with tears. Wizardmon looked at his hands and then towards the ground.
"I'm sorry." He said. Then he floated backwards and through the window.
"Wizardmon!" Gatomon screamed, her whole body pressed flat against the glass.
"Hurry..." came his faint voice. And then Wizardmon faded away into nothingness. Sobs wracked Gatomon's body.
Nekomon walked slowly over, placing one orange paw to her friend's shoulder, staring out the window with Gatomon. Then Kari came with Azukia.
"Gatomon..." Kari said, looking sadly down at her digimon. Azukia and she bent over, wrapping their arms around the two cat digimon.
"He came back to tell us." Azukia said simply.
"Who was Wizardmon anyway?" asked Ashi.
"We were battling a very evil dark digimon named Myotismon," Sora explained. She could see him in her mind's eye, a human digimon, a man. He was tall and blonde and his eyes were framed in a red mask. He was floating through the air, laughing, and then a stream of bats obscured him from view. The bats flew towards a younger Kari, who was crouched next to Gatomon. Then, at the very last minute, Wizardmon put himself in the way of the attack, "He was about to destroy Kari and Gatomon."
"Wizardmon stepped in the way of Myotismon's attack." Casey said. She looked sad, "And he paid...the ultimate price. Wizardmon scaraficed himself in order to save Kari and Gatomon. And they'll never foget him because of it."
******

"Will we ever see him again?" Kari asked. The group was standing together. They were staring over the piece of the roof Wizardmon had disappeared on, through the window he and flown through.
"I'm sure we will, Kari." said Tai.
"That Wizardmon," Gatomon said. She sounded like she had a bad head cold, "what a friend. Even from beyond, he still continues to watch over me.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment