Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - True Destiny of the Soul Reaver

A sweet little fable that shows not all creatures that go bump in the night are out to harm you. (A crossover of Legacy of Kain and Fullmetal Alchemist)

Chapter 1 - True Destiny of the Soul Reaver

Chapter 1 - True Destiny of the Soul Reaver
A bright light illuminated my surroundings as I passed through the portal. A swirling energy surrounded my form, transporting me to some unknown destiny. Then there was darkness. I surveyed the area calmly trying to see with my immortal eyes, to try and peirce the shadows to find an exit to this abyss. However to no avail I could not see anything. But my surroundings suddenly lit up, but only in one small area, and standing in that spotlight with an unseen light source was a man of human origin it appeared. But appearences can be decieving as I have learned through all my years of unlife. His hair was straight and lengthy, touching his waist as it was bathed in red streaks of blood but was orginally pitch black ,and glossy like the wings of a raven like my own. He wore a matching long leather coat and boats of the same material. His eyes however...were most haunting. They were a normal design like any humans; having pupils and irises unlike myself. But the color of the irises were a swirling silver...as if a deep haunting sense of forboding and great horror lay just behind those mystic eyes. I knew then this was no ordinary human...perhaps it was he that brought forth the portal into the Elder God's chamber. I would soon find out weather this "man" was my savior or damnation.

"Who are you? And where am I?" Raziel asked, slowly rising to his feet as he quickly summoned up the wraith blade. And the sword now being imbued with the essense of purifying spirit he was pretty much unstoppable in this state...or so he thought.

"Relax my child...I have not brought you from that parasite's pit just to squabble. And even if I did you'd be wishing for a unobtainable demise right about now." The man stated, chuckling as he waved a dismissive hand. However his arrogance further fueled the wraith's rage as he took a daring step forward.

"You think so? Let's test that theory shall we?" Raziel said in a dark voice, raising his blade ready to fight now. The raven haired male did not faulter though, only closing one of his eyes as a coy smirk graced his lips.

"I dont think...I know; Raziel. Now calm yourself, and let's get rid of that sword for the time being." The man exclaimed, snapping his fingers as the soul reaver instantly vanished from view, disappating and retreating back into the wraith's arm. Said spector looked at his right appendage with surprise before scowling, white eyes glaring at the man before him now.

"Typical, like I havent seen that trick before. Let me guess, you work for Moebius or the Elder God...or perhaps the Hylden lord and wish to use me as a reliable pawn correct? Well if you know my name than you must know of my history and my distaste at being used. So if that's your game than you can just send me back into the portal you summoned." Raziel then snapped, pointing a claw towards the dark clothed ravenette before he turned his back to him in irritation. His anger only growing when the silver eyed male just laughed in amusement while resting his hand on his face.

"Boy you are a wild card arent you? Plus you are rather paranoid. Wouldnt blame you though with how many times you've been screwed over. Artemis was correct in claiming you'd be a hard one to get off the fishing hook without being bitten first. No child I dont work for those laughing stalks of the universe. Nor do I wish to 'use' you. I brought you here to ask for your assistance infact since you are the only one that can do this." The man then said before folding his arms as he then smiled in amusement, the wraith slowly glancing over his shoulder as a suspecious look crossed over his features.

"What do you mean exactly? I'm confused at your statements. Who are you and again I ask where am I? And what's this 'assistance' you need from me? Bear in mind Moebuis tryed the sympathy act with me too so I wont fall for the same deception twice." Raziel then asked, his voice darkening now as he turned to face the man again. The man just chuckled again, swiping a hand through his dark black and red locks.

"Ah where are my manners? Forgive me; I forgot you are not of my realm in the universe considering the Elder "God" rules your world of Nosgoth. I am known by many many names...man in black, the blind date you cannot stand up, Shikigami king, the black death, Anubis, the Ferry man, the reaper, however; I mostly prefer my name of Thanatos. Well it's my new name. I used to be called Acheron Parthenopaeus but since the old Thanatos got killed off by some Kratos fella I was promoted and I'm now known as the new Thanatos." The man explained, gently bowing his head as he crossed his right hand over his chest in a polite manner. Upon hearing this Raziel quirked a brow. So this being was the god of death in this realm it appeared. An elder god of death and rebirth of this realm...only not as parasitic it seemed.

"And to answer your next question...you are in the world known as "Amestris." A place where the art of alchemy has far exceeded that of science and the rule of the christien god has faded into the shadows of time to be nearly forgotten." Thanatos then added before nodding off towards a nearby window that now came into view, the stain glass of multiple colors of blue, yellow, and red barely clinging to the frames. When Raziel adjusted his eyes more he could see they were in a dark abadoned church. Cobwebs covering almost every nook and cranny of the building, and the alter all but destroyed by time. The windows that were not smashed in had faces of people Raziel could not recognize. Probly the long forgotten messiahs of the christien religion Thanatos mentioned.

"Alchemy? I have heard whispers of this art in Nosgoth but it never really caught on compared to sorcery. Moreover; why have you brought me here?" the wraith then asked, eyes resting on the death deity once more as the man chuckled shaking his head as he walked along the chruch now, heading for a dusty old pipe organ that lay ten paces ahead of where they where Raziel was summoned.

"You sure are a chatty little ghoul arent you? However I dont blame you for yearning for questions. And I would find it cruel to keep you from your mission specs." Thanatos replied in a coy tone, smiling as he then trailed his fingers slowly over the keys to the pipe organ. Though due to the cruel hand of father time; the once majestic instrument brought forth no sound when it's ivory keys were pressed. It gave only a gasping wheeze as dust spewed from the pipes that touched the ceiling practiclly, along with a few spiders scampering out of it too in irritation or fear from the man made gales of the organ.

"Your mission, dear Raziel is a simple one. Guard the savior of this world without being detected as much as possible. You can feed on plenty of souls til your heart's content, pass through the material realm and spirit realm like you would in Nosgoth; as in possessing a corpse and re-shaping it to your image. Not to mention feel free to kill the scum of this world if they force you to do so, especially those endangering the savior's life." Thanatos exclaimed calmly, looking towards the angel of death from Nosgoth now, a serious look crossing his face now. Raziel contemplated this, his eyes locking on the god's as he then rose a brow leering.

"What will you give me in return for my duties to you? How can I be sure im not going to work for you like I have for that parasitic fraud of my world? Feeding you while I struggle with my journy you set out for me?" Raziel asked in a curious yet irritated tone. Thanatos just smiled then before closing his eyes. He then vanished. Raziel's unease sky rocketed then when the deity appeared behind him. Turning he then looked up, eyes widening in horror as the same male stood before him....only this time in his real form. A skeleton like entity towered at least fifteen feet over the spector, his cloak flowing in an unseen wind, the inner layer of the cloak a blood red and filled with screaming spirits. His ribs moved about like a insect's legs and the lower part of his body was nothing but innerds and oozing blood. His face was a skull with an eerie sneer as a tattered priest's hat made of skulls adorned his head. And lastly his scythe, the trademark of the god of death was that of a screaming fanged skull; a blade of pure black protruding from it's mouth while its spine served as the hilt of the weapon. Raziel backed away in horror at this being and without his soul reaver to help him he knew this wouldnt be much of a fight.

But Thanatos knew better than to let the wraith escape. Laughing he raised his clawed hand, the fleeing spector instantly being risen up before he was yanked towards the god and held there by kinetic shackles. Coming face-to-face with the wraith he then sneered more before his dark bone-chilling voice rang out, rattling the church windows and peircing through Raziel like a knife.

"Dear boy I am a GOD unlike that pathetic creature you served. Lumping my intentions in with his are an insult to my existance! And though you are undying...I'd make you wish for death! Or worse, I'd reincarnate your soul into that of a May fly's, giving you a normal life that lasts only twenty four hours. Or maybe I send you straight to the other realm I rule over...HELL! Oh yes you'd have a grand ol time in the river Styx as demons tear away at your flesh while you continue to reanimate again and again...an eternity of neverending pain and torment. I dont need your help to keep the natural order of things going in this world. You would be a small assistant of sorts, clearing out the riff-raff like the roaming demons and spirits and those causing the world of Amestris grief. However I do need you for the task of guarding the savior of Amestris...for gods cannot interfere in the affairs of the middle earth." The reaper exclaimed, his voice calming now towards the end of his explaination as his silver glowing eyes continued looking at the wraith before him.

"What do you mean you cannot interfere? Why do you need me of all people?" Raziel asked, trying to calm the fear in his voice as he glared daggers at the entity hovering before him. The god just laughed in amusement, as if Raziel asked a stupid question.

"Just that little soul reaper, we cannot interfere. Humans and others who walk the middle earth usually have to deal with their own tasks though they prey to us constantly. Well in another world they do and the humans in Ishvalla prey in this one. However it is dire important that I had to take a loop hole into assisting this one little human by bringing you to be his guardian. If he dies, so does Amestris and we cannot afford that to happen. Now as to why you I sought out for this task..." The deity stated, turning now as he hovered along; the benches his dark cloak touched instantly rotting up and falling to peices, the stone walls turning a dark black and growing further cracks. He kept true to his threat if he could destroy anything his body touched without knowing so. Yes this being indeed could keep to his promise of making Raziel's life a living hell...he was truely a god unlike the fraud in Nosgoth who loved to hear himself talk of his origins.

"Since you are undying, your soul cannot return to the cycle of life, death, and rebirth of even this universe's natural flow. Plus you do have the free will many have told you about. However...had I not interferred right after you devoured the Time Streamer's Soul...you would have made a dire choice and sacrificed yourself willingly to Kain's blade inorder to prevent both of you from being buried under the vampire citadel. Do not worry of Kain however; he'll escape by the same means he used to reach the top of the Chronoplast chamber you both fought in long ago." The Reaper then stated, Raziel's anger flaring at the mention of this.

"So...my sacrifice would have been for naught?! Damn that bastard, And to think I felt guilt in killing him to obtain Janos's heart!" Raziel yelled, his old ember of hatred for the scion of Balance flaring up again as the god nodded, turning now to Raziel again.

"Yes, but back to the point at hand. Your amazing immortality that matches that of the legendary pheonix's and your free will are just the items needed to help protect the savior of this world. And though it is said you are to be the scion of Balance's right hand...that is true...however pictures and prophisies can decieve if looked at the wrong way. Take for example the Mona Lisa...some say she is smiling but others think she is frowning. Or the two men and a vase depiction. Like Ariel you too almost read the signs wrong. I brought you here for a reason my little angel of death. For it was foretold by your world and our's. You will see in time though what I mean...but will you wish to see for yourself why you guard this child?" Thanatos then asked, tilting his head as he looked to the wraith. Raziel was defiently curious now at this god's words. And he proved many good points and showed he was not of deception.

"Very well, I will play out this duty...just stay true to your intentions and not hide anything from me. For if I sense deception I will make it clear im not a happy servant." Raziel then muttered, still showing abit of irriation as the God of Death chuckled, snapping his bony fingers as the wraith was released from the telekinetic shackles, falling to the floor hard.

"Servant is a cruel word. No no you are an angel of death, practilly MY right hand at the moment. Or should I say 'guardian angel of death'." the deity then stated in amusement as he grinned. Raziel murred, raising to his feet now as he dusted himself off. Looking up to the ghoulish enity he spoke again.

"So where is this child I am to protect? I wish for my answers to come quickly besides I want to make a good first impression on my first day of work." Raziel said steely as he then folded his arms. The reaper laughed in glee before turning to tear open a portal with his scythe.

"You about as friendly as a cactus neh? No worries you'll learn soon enough im not a lying manipulative bastard like those souls Moebius and Kain. I'll reward you when you do a good job unlike that fat squid the elder 'fraud'." Thanatos exclaimed with a chortle, guiding Raziel into the portal as they appeared in another part of the world. They now stood outside on a grassy field. It was snowing as the gales whipped through the wraith's hair and wings. He squinted and wrapped his scarf tighter around his shoulders and tried to muster all he could to keep from getting blown away by the cold winds. Below them sat a yellowish white house of simple design, a balcony on the second floor. The house was dark; all but for one room as a orange glow peeked out into the dark snowstorm.

"Listen...your duties will kick in this very night." Thanatos exclaimed calmly, now reverted back to his human form that he had first approached Raziel in. The spector nodded and honed his sense of hearing, straining against the howling squalls. As he listened...he then heard a soft crying of an infant.

"A baby...? He is being born right now?" Raziel said in surprise as the man nodded calmly, wrapping his coat around his own form too. Showing he wasnt liking the storm much either.

"Yes, it was forseen centuries beyond this child's birth that he would be destined to save Amestris and perhaps the world called Earth too. However something happens to him that causes his demise, and the worlds fall into oblivion. The younger brother of the former Thanatos told us to not interfere, that we would move on to another world to seek worshippers to sustain us. That bastard pretty much treated these delicate entities of such magnifiance like cattle or excriment on one's boot. I seized the chance to take action the moment I was promoted to the new God of Death and Rebirth and the moment Zeus fell at the hands of Kratos. That's when I searched all the worlds for a guardian that possessed great power and free will, passing by all the laws depicted by the gods. Eventually I found you Raziel....I waited and bided my time, then snatched you from your false destiny to bring you here at the very hour of this boy's birth. This is your true destiny Raziel, and you will see why very soon. But remember keep to the shadows. However if you do reveal yourself to him do not fret for I'll have a solution to that." Thanatos then stated in a gentle tone as he turned and looked to the wraith, reopening the portal behind them. Raziel looked to the man calmly as he gave a nod.

"I will accept this destiny and play it out. I dont fully trust you yet...but you are more altruistic than those I used to revere known as the Sarafan. And more mercifull from your apparent hatred for the fallen god Zeus who seems like the Elder god with the way you speak of him. Tell me, what's this boy's name?" The wraith then asked, the god of death smirking before he fully left.

"Edward Elric. Protect him with your very unlife Raziel. Be his Guardian angel of Death and his right hand...for your destinies are far more intertwined than you can fathom..." Thanatos exclaimed, vanishing into the portal as only the wraith was left behind now. Looking back towards the little house below him, he could only watch, the little infant's cries still greeting his ears, other voices joining in now. And older man's, no doubt the father, and of course a female voice as well.

"It's a boy! Oh my dear he's soo beautiful...thank you for this gift."

"What...what shall we name him dear? Look his eyes are like yours."

".....Edward. But he should have your maiden name my dear."

"Edward Elric...the Prosperous guardian. I like the sound of that."

Raziel could only chuckle, yes even the boy's name suited him perfectly. Crossing his arms he could only wish to smile as he looked to the cloudy sky above.

Though the skies looked foreboding and ominious, raining frozen waters upon the land as the winds screamed in rebellion, I knew there was a starry sky behind them. And this child's birth seemed to slow the storm. Even now the winds felt as if they were dying down, the icy sting of snow no longer whipping at my emanciated form or clawing at my mangled wings. I almost swore I saw the moon peeking through the clouds. Yes there was no doubt in my mind now...this child was destined to protect this new and ingtriguing world. And just like he; I too would have to learn much of it as the years would pass. Though I am a servant of another once more; for some reason I feel no irritation or deception. No I realize now that what Thanatos; a true god of death and rebirth, said could be true. That THIS is my true destiny, not to be Kain's soul reaver, the soul trapped withen his sword. Though the rest of what he said was still a mystery to me, I had no trouble with waiting as long as the world spun to see when the answers would finally reveal themselves to me....

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

CuteFox300 on March 30, 2011, 9:11:35 AM

CuteFox300 on
CuteFox300What if Ed realized he was there? XDD

SweetxinsanityxSarah on March 30, 2011, 12:05:42 PM

SweetxinsanityxSarah on
SweetxinsanityxSarahGotta find out come the next chapter silly duckie. ;P