Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - Mr. Blue-and-damned Finds a Friend

neh. A basic fight between Condemned and Eclipse for control over Eclipse's body. Sometimes it would go too far... More stories are to be added!

Chapter 12 - Mr. Blue-and-damned Finds a Friend

Chapter 12 - Mr. Blue-and-damned Finds a Friend
"A friend? Don't be absurd, Haine! You are unworthy of such a blessing!"

And this was how my talk of friendship went with my brother. I had implored that, perhaps, a friend could help me recover from my damnation... help in some way... perhaps if I did enough good deeds, I would be allowed into the afterlife? But no.

Brother is too narrow-minded. He speaks only of my death being a GOOD thing... that it would release the curse that hounded our village... whatever that was... sometimes I believed him to simply torture me in ways like this in order to keep our tribe happy... but if he is our oh-so-mighty-and-powerful leader, why is it that he does not simply convince the others that I am just another echidna? Does he lack the knowledge to do this? If he said yes, I'd agree. He's nothing more than a stupid brute. Ever since father left the village, and his protection over me left WITH him... brother would allow the other echidna's to beat me whenever they liked...

So I left brother's tent. My mind was an angry buzz after he didn't even listen to my logic.

Then the horn sounded. It was time to hunt. Every able male echidna in the village had to help, including myself (though they usually shoved me out of the way, and never let me get any glory)... so I wandered into the crowd of echidnas that slowly pooled out, getting bigger and bigger. Our leading huntsman, Aiwayo-Kaj Huun was seperating us into groups of twenty.

"The search group has spotted a small family of mammoths!!" he roared over the talkative legion of echidnas, "our strongest party will go after the head mammoth! The rest will take out the others!"

This, we understood, and around me, I heard roars of battlecries thunder, and hang in the air. We set off, me joining a group of echidnas that I've never met before. Will at least one be nice to me?

"Oh sweet Vichama, take me now!" one of them complained

"HAINE?? We have HAINE with us?? This will NOT end well..." another said.

"Go back to the village, and leave us alone! We don't need your bad luck with us!"

"You'll only get hurt, Haine... go. Now."

No. It seemed none wanted me there. It was the same with ALL of them... they couldn't see past my blue color. My supposed "curse" to the village. They couldn't see the real me.

An hour of walking in the blizzard of our world, and in the distance, just as we were told, a family of mammoths. A father, a mother, and, along with the children, five others, creating a herd. As soon as we were close enough, the horn sounded again, and I saw our best group attack the father's ankles, trying to make him immoble. Down he fell, and my group charged to attack the children. The children?? Why THEM?? They weren't even being given a chance at life!

They left me.

"w-wait!" I called out, and tried to follow them, but came face-to-face with the mother. She trumpeted angrily at me. Me, being the weak ant that stood before her. That DARED to stand in her way while her herd was under attack. Before I could do anything, her heavy tusks slammed into me, sending me flying a few feet in the air, before landing again. I tried to get up again, but pain shot across my right side, and I winced, hugging myself, teeth clenched. I... I couldn't get up! That mammoth must have broken something of mine...

I lay back down in the icy snow, and watched my bretheren kill almost all of the herd, the other mammoths managing to escape.

A few moments later, my vision started to blur. I couldn't feel my limbs. We echidnas could survive in blizzards, but not for THIS long.

Was I going to die?

My last concious thought was of how much my brother would laugh when he hears I was frozen to death.

...

...

...

A warm wind slowly blew in and out on my face. I moaned, and slowly opened my eyes, vision clearing.

A mammoth trunk.

I jumped. This hurt my side even more.

"Auugh..." that cry of pain emmitted out of my throat. I looked at where I was... a cave? It seemed so. The walls were made of ice. Dug by, most likely, tusks. I looked back up at the mammoth that stared down at me. Had he... dragged me all the way here, out of the blizzard...? No one else was there. It had to be him. I needed to get up. I needed to get out, and back to my tribe. I didn't want to give them the pleasure of losing me.

Slowly, I rose, snarling when the pain came. I just had to bare it. That was all. I got up, shaking. The pain throbbed. I clutched an icy wall. I managed to take a good look at the mammoth.

It was a runt. An outcast, like me. With it's black shining eyes, it stared, eye level with me. This... this animal saved my life, I realised. A smile grew on my face, despite the agony I felt. This was the one I prayed for. A friend. I patted it's trunk, happily. The little pachiderm then picked my up by my wrist, and layed me over it's back.

It was going to take me home.

...

...

...

A while of walking in the snow, and, able to tell where I lived by smell alone, found my village from so far away. He was smart, he was. He understood that I wasn't there to hunt him... he saw that I wasn't just a blue curse...

We approached the village... but... something was off. Most of the echidnas were gone...

Were they still out hunting?

A rock with a rope attacked to it flung itself around my neck, and pulled me off the mammoth runt, onto the ground, face-first. It trumpeted in suprise, and looked around, defensive. My tribe came, with spears in their hands, howling triumphant cries of success.

"NO!!" I shouted. A heavy boot stopped me from getting up. I didn't even need to look to see who it was.

"I told you before, Haine...", my brother leaned down to whisper in my ear, hidden under my dreadlocks, "you are unworthy to have such a blessing..."

Tears stained my face as I saw what could've been my first friend stabbed to death by our obsidian weapons. There went my savour. There went years of good times. Years of fun, and a chance to get away from my tribe's cruelty. He did nothing to them. He did NOTHING...

That night, the woman of the village roasted mammoth meat. I wasn't hungry.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

mechadragon13 on October 1, 2009, 12:06:47 PM

mechadragon13 on
mechadragon13.................... *PITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY*

TheGameArtCritic on October 1, 2009, 2:21:33 PM

TheGameArtCritic on
TheGameArtCriticCondemned's only friend gets stabbitied. Poooooorrrr Condemned. :3