Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - Doubts

Serenity was an ordinary 11th grader, untill she became anything but ordinary....

Chapter 15 - Doubts

Chapter 15 - Doubts


There she was again. The lady with raven black hair and a pure white gown that flew in the unseen breeze. Her back was to him, but he knew who she was. She turned her head and smiled.

But her smile didn't last long. Her face contorted into an expression of absolute pain. She cried out for him to help her but he didn't move his feet. He couldn't. As much as he wanted to help her, he was cemented to the spot.

Red started to appear in different spots on her dress as her pain increased. She crumpled to the floor as the spots grew, turning her once white gown blood red. He started feeling a hate and anger against the girl that wasn't his own.

Then, out of the darkness came a man dressed in black with grey hair that had once been black.

“You have done well, my son.”

Tlen shot straight up, breaking the nightmares hold. Cold sweat ran down his back and his forehead. He'd been having the dream for a while now, and he knew what it was.

It was what would happen if he were to fail. If he were to let Zarayne take control over his mind. If he were to let Zarayne kill Serenity and claim Fayrah as his own.

It was too much. Tlen knew that it wouldn't happen if he was careful. But that only brought back memories from the other day. Thoughts of how he failed to completely protect Serenity. Thoughts of the wolves.

He'd let his guard down and Zarayne took his chance.

Zarayne. Scenes of the dream flashed through Tlen's mind. Scenes of Serenity on the ground bleeding from a dozen wounds. And with it came the sudden urge to protect her more than ever before surged through his body and mind.

But at the same time, knew he was falling into a dangerous zone. A place where he could not risk being. That place was love.

In other words, Tlen was having doubts. He wanted so badly to protect Serenity and to be with her, but a voice at the back of his mind told him likewise. Love was a dangerous position to be in. At least, for them. If they did fall in love and followed their feelings then one or both of them would end up dead. He wanted to just leave her once they got to the Elven village. But it was his destiny to protect her, just as it was her destiny to be the Earth-Keeper.

Tlen looked over to his right where Serenity was sleeping peacefully. Lying back down on the cold ground, Tlen stared at the brightening sky. They had made it to the edge of the forest, but the ground was still frozen.

It had been two days since their encounter with the wolves and Zarayne hadn't made his next move yet. Yet.

By now the sun was just beginning to peek over the top of the faraway eastern trees, casting rays of gold across the tree tops. It was almost time to get Serenity up and get a move on. Tlen looked back at her sleeping form and quickly looked away. Standing up he moved to the small sparks of their smoldering fire and kicked dirt on it. It hissed as it doused the remaining coals. The sound awakened Serenity as she slowly got up.

“Good morning,” she mumbled through tired lips. Raising her eyebrows she sniffed her shoulder. “Woo! I think I could use a bath.” Tlen looked over at her and tried hard not to laugh.

“What? What's so funny?”

Through stifled giggles Tlen managed to say, “I didn't think your hair always looked like that when you got up.”

“Oh boy, is it that bad?”

Tlen nodded.

“Do you have a comb I could borrow?”

“Nope. Here, you can tie it back with this.” He handed her a length of leather and she quickly tied it behind her head.

“So what's for breakfast?”







Fifteen minutes later the two were walking through the thick forest. The trees crowded in close together but the ground was carpeted in a thick layer of pine needles, making the going much easier.

Serenity had been feeling funny ever since they entered the woodland, and she sensed that Tlen did too. This resulted in no conversation at all.

As they ventured deeper into the forest, Serenity felt a strange wind blow. She swore she could hear voices whispering as it passed by her ears. The wind tugged at her hair and her dress but when she looked around, nothing else was moving. She turned her head in Tlen's direction. The only movement she could she was his hat bouncing up and down as he walked.

Suddenly extremely creeped out, Serenity picked up her pace until she was almost touching Tlen's back.

Whooo aaaaree yoooooou….

Now she knew she was going insane. The wind was talking to her. But out of an impulse that wasn't her own, Serenity answered, I am Serenity of Earth. Suddenly she could feel every single tree in the forest as if it were trying to pull her in different directions. She closed her eyes and watched as trees rushed past her, taking her somewhere different.

You have come against your will to a sacred realm…

The wind rushed harder, pulling at her until she had to come to a stop. Her eyes were still closed but trees were zooming by in every direction. Then everything stopped in a blazing flash of light.

The light still lingered as Serenity opened her eyes. Out of the blaze came men armed with bows and arrows. They gracefully but effectively surrounded the two travelers, pushing them into a small circle. Serenity's feet wobbled and she felt dizzy as she realized that these were elves. Then everything went black.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Mutos_gurl101 on March 24, 2006, 1:27:15 PM

Mutos_gurl101 on
Mutos_gurl101I liked it... I'm trying to get up my next chapter too... darn writer's block lol :) I loved it...