Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Eye of the Storm

What would you do if you found an old treasure map to a legendary planet? Jim Hawkins, your average 16 yer old, found one, and no he's out to fins the treasure and prove his own worth.
author's note: Ive added a character and changed it up a bit. Enjoy!

Chapter 4 - The Eye of the Storm

Chapter 4 - The Eye of the Storm






Although Jims body was quaking like the boards of the ship, he somehow managed to tie a safety line around his waist.





Mr. Arrows deep voice boomed across the din of the star. All hands fasten your safety lines!





Captain Amelia practically flew up the stairs as she ran to the tiller. Secure all sails! Brace em down, men!!





Bekkah dashed headlong to the rigging on the starboard side and climbed madly alongside Mr. Arrow to reach the first sail. The ship gave a mighty lurch as a wave from the burning star hit the ship. Dilbert leaned over the edge of the Legacy with a spyglass. The star! Its dissolving into a black hole!!





The crewman at the tiller (who had four tentacles for arms) yelled as his grip loosened on the wooden wheel. I canna hold her, capn!





Captain Amelia shoved him aside and grabbed the tiller with ferocity. Oh no you dont! She madly pulled at the tiller, trying to steer away form the exploding star. Another blast hit the ship and she roared with anger. Blast these waves! Theyre so decidedly erratic!





Dilbert tapped on a small screen reading data. No, Captain! Theyre not erratic at all. Therell be another one in another 47.2 seconds, followed by the biggest megalith of all!





The Captains eyes lit up with realization. Thats it! Well ride the waves out!





No sooner had she spoken then Mr. Arrow called up, All sails secured, Captain!





Good. Now release them immediately!





Aye, Captain. You heard her! Unfurl those sails, He bellowed to the crew whod just come off the rigging. They immediately started complaining.





Ahh! We just finished tying them down!





Get to it! Captains orders!





Fighting madly with the wheel, Captain Amelia shouted over at Jim who was clinging to the rigging with Morph. Mr. Hawkins! Check all lifelines are good and tight!





He hopped down, a surge of pride flowing through him. Aye-aye, Captain! He ran to the main mast where all the lifelines had been attached and pulled each one until he was satisfied they were tight. Lifelines secure, Captain!!





Meanwhile, Bekkah was stuck in the rigging. Several ropes had somehow twisted themselves around her arm. She pulled out a knife from her boot and tried hacking away at them without damaging her arm when a sudden jolt caused one of them to tighten savagely on her arm. She roared in pain and noticed one rope that was hanging taught off the side of the ship. Not giving it another thought and trying to save her arm, she cut it and slid back through one of the holes in the rigging, catching her breath. Suddenly Scroob was there, breathing down her neck. Good job. I didnt know you had it in you to murder! Bekkah felt a sickening knot begin to form in her stomach, looking down, she watched as Mr. Arrow flew through space into the burning eye of the black hole. But before she could do anything else, she heard Dilbert yell to the Captain.





Captain! The last wave! Here it comes!!





Gritting her teeth at the strain, she replied, Hold onto you lifelines! This is gonna be a bumpy ride.





As the Legacy drifted downwards into the center of the black hole as everyone held their breath, watching the darkness envelop the ship. Then, just as the doctor had predicted, a huge, burning wave shot up, throwing the ship back into space.





The crew cheered madly and the Captain released her death grip on the wheel. Bekkah and Jim found themselves hugging in pure joy, but quickly realed the embrace. Dilbert stuttered as he tried to comprehend what had just happened. Captain, that was absolutely&the most&





Amelia interrupted him before he could go on. Oh tosh. Actually, doctor, your astronomical advice was most helpful, she said, sweeping his comment aside modestly.





Again lost for words, Dilbert responded, Well&uh&Thank you.





But she was no longer listening. I must, uh, congratulate you, Mr. Silver. Your cabin boy did a bang-up job with those lifelines. Silver gently nudged Jim, and Jim playfully pushed him back. Then Bekkah shoved them both over, smiling mischievously. Then the Captain continued. All hands accounted for, Mr. Arrow?...Mr. Arrow?





Scroob stepped forward, carrying a three-cornered hat in his hands. Im afraid Mr. Arrow has been lost. His lifeline was not secure. Bekkah felt a sick, churning feeling begin to start again in her stomach. Not only had she been the one to kill Mr. Arrows, Scroob was blaming Jim. Captain Amelia took the hat sadly.





Jim burst out in anger. No! I checked them all! They were safe, I swear! But as he ran over to where the lifelines had been tied, one of them was gone.





However, Amelia ignored him. Mister Arrow was a fine spacer, finer then most of us could ever hope to be. Then she drew her self up, a resigned look on her face. He knew the risks, as do we all&Man your posts, we carry on. With that, she walked up the stairs into her cabin and shut the door.





As Silver followed Jim back to the galleys, he saw Scroob sitting on a beam above their heads with a rope. One end of the rope had been cut off, and Silver knew, if anything, Scroob had a part to play in the demise of Mr. Arrows.





Later in the evening, Jim sat in one of the rings along the rigging. His head in his hands, he peered sullenly into the etherium. Silver came out with a jacket on, looking sadly at the crushed teenager. It werent your fault, lad. Ya know, you were a marvel with those ropes. Why, half the crewd be spinnin in the abyss if not for you!





Jim angrily hopped down from the rigging and put his face close to Silvers. Dont you get it?! For two seconds I thought I could do something right! His rage slowly subsided as he looked into the old cyborgs one good eye.





Now you listen to me, James Hawkins! Yave got the makin of greatness in ya! But ya got to chart your own course and stick to it. When the time comes to show what youre made of, well&I hope Im there to catch the light off yore sails!





As he looked into the compassionate eyes of his elder, Jims rage began to turn to sorrow. Leaning forward, he dropped his head in Silvers plump stomach. Not quite sure what to do, Silver looked around to make sure no one was watching. Then he smiled and placed his arms around Jims shoulders. There, there lad. Its all right, Jimbo.





And in that quiet moment, almost mute sobs could be heard. Bekkah sat behind the pillar with her knees to her chest as tears flowed freely from her bright blue eyes. Tears of both jealously and sadness towards Jim. She continued to listen to their conversation as regret and sorrow filled her heart.





Silver realized what he was doing and quickly released his embrace with Jim. He awkwardly cleared his throat and said, Now Jim&Id best be getting on with my watch and youd best getting some shut eye! He pushed Jim off in the direction of the crews sleeping quarters. Trudging slowly to the lit doorway, Jim took one more look over his shoulder and smiled.





When Jim had disappeared through the doorway, Silver let out a sigh of relief and tickled Morphs belly. The pink blob squeaked playfully as Silver absent-mindedly said, Hoo! Next thing I know, theyll be saying Ive gone soft! But unbeknownst to them, a spidery figure crept above, listening to every word.





&&&&&&&&





The next morning, Jim was rudely awakened by the alien above him, who was a horrible nocturnal-cheese-cutter. He tried to rub sleep from his eyes as he groaned, knowing he had to get up. Sitting up, he groggily reached for his boots, but only managed to slip one over his holy sock when Morph took the other one. Come on, Morph, give it back. But the little ball of protoplasm wasnt much for listening, just playing games. Floating into the toe of the boot, he began to fly away, forcing Jim to give chase.





Clumsily falling from his hammock, Jim followed Morph. Morph, knock it off! Its too early for this. Ignoring the teenager, the pink ball flew into the galleys, just as Jim grabbed the boot. Gotcha! Now you cant escape! Giggling, Morph flew out of the boot and into the barrel of purp. Now completely awake, Jim pulled on his other boot and ran to the edge of the barrel.





It didnt take long to find Morph. Hed transformed into one of the purple fruits, but opened a pink eye to see if Jim was watching. Ha! Busted! Jim dived into the barrel, grabbing the little pink ball. And just in time, he quickly realized. Sinister voices could be heard coming from the galley.





Theres only three of them left, now!





We need the hostages to keep the capn in line





And the unmistakable voice of Scroob, I say we kill them all now!





Then another voice which nearly tore his heart to pieces. Whats this I say? Disobey me agin and youll be joinin him! Jim looked through a hole in the barrel and saw Silver strangling Scroob. Something was going on, and it wasnt good.





Scroob backed up to the purp barrel Jim was sitting in, replying evilly, Strong talk, but I know otherwise.





Youve got somethin to say, Scroob?





The spider reached his claw insode the barrel, searching for a purp. Panicking, Jim grabbed one and quickly placed it in his pincher. Its that boy. Methinks youve got a soft spot for him. At this, he pricked the purp, letting some juice spill out. Silvers frown deepened as he responded, Now mark me, the lot of ye. I care about one thing and one thing only: Flints trove. You think Id risk it all for some nose-whipin whelp?! Jim stiffened. Hed thought Silver was actually his friend. How could he be so foolish. He cursed silently to himself for forgetting Billy Bones warning.





Scroob Locked his hands together and placed them on the side of his face, smiling dreamily. What was it? Oh yes, Youve got the makins of greatness in ye!





Silver fumed with anger. Shut yer up!! At that moment, a large crew member moved out of the way, and who Jim saw there almost really did break his heart. Sitting on a bench wearing a black trench coat and a three-corned hat was Bekkah, listening intently to the conversation. She turned her head slightly and saw Jim through the hole in the barrel. Her eyes widened and she looked down, suddenly going pale.





Planet ho!! The crew member who was on watch yelled out in a deep voice. Every one stormed out of the room in excitement, leaving Jim and Morph there to work out what had just happened.





Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment