Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Gray

Shonen-ai/Slash! For DD_DM. A black-winged angel finds himself caught up in the fate of a young boy that defies existence itself, a boy with paradoxed wings, a boy named 'Iris'...

Chapter 1 - Gray

Chapter 1 - Gray
Iris

- For: DefyDeath_DefyMe, aka Iris Wilder. Thanks for everything. -

+--

Gray.
That was all he seemed to be.
His hair was a soft gray that fell around his pale face, hanging over his eyes and draping down his back, over his hunched, skinny shoulders and thin back. The threadbare shirt thrown over was loose and stained, tattered sleeves just barely showing pale fingers curled up, knuckles white.
Valkyre shifted uneasily in the darkness, dagger tense in his hand. What was it with him?
The boy, for he couldn't possibly be any older than fifteen, remained where he was, curled up on the narrow stone windowsill, looking out through swirled and smeared glass at the city below. The dying rays of sunlight were pale and colorless, drained.
Surely this couldn't be real.
This couldn't be Iris.
Valkyre let out a silent sigh, brushing jet black strands of hair away from his face with a gloved hand. His rich amethyst eyes were cool and calculating, face expressionless, wreathed in darkness from where he stood, a shadow blending into a shadow.
He paused, eyes still on the figure by the window, blade slowly drawn back up over his body, tense. Slowly, he stepped away from the shadows, booted feet silent on the cold cement floor.
He had made no sound, but Iris turned and looked at him.
Valkyre froze, startled. Not by the fact that he'd been detected, but by what he was facing.
Cool, emotionless gray eyes bore into his own, without emotion, without depth, without expression. Like the hard cement he stood over, or the cold panes of glass behind the boy. Those eyes... they seemed like nothing more than a void, an empty abyss.
"What do you want?"
His voice was quiet, almost tired in the still, chill air. He stared at Valkyre, not moving, showing no fear, no surprise. Acknowledgement, perhaps, but nothing more.
Valkyre lowered his dagger, shifting his footing. Perhaps they did speak the truth in their myths.
"What else?"
His reply was curt and smooth, showing nothing, equaling the apathy he'd been met with. He raised his eyebrows slightly, faint smile on his face, though there was little humorous.
"You head."
Iris did nothing, only closed his eyes, then opened them again slowly. They remained unchanged, expressionless and dim. He did not reply.
Valkyre paused for only a split second, then lept forward suddenly, blade flashing. Behind him, a pair of wings black as their starless nights snapped out, encircling him.
The dagger tip bit into dry and cracked wood, thudding heavily in the frame of the window.
Valkyre's amethyst eyes flashed in the darkness, his lithe body tense, poised.
Iris stared up at him with his colorless eyes, head tilted just slightly to one side, dagger point inches from his face. Valkyre's arm was level with the boy's neck, fabric of his sleeve close enough to quiver lightly under the boy's breath.
"You're a bounty hunter, then."
That same voice, with that apathetic, uncaring tone.
Valkyre hissed sharply under his breath as he withdrew his blade, glaring at the boy. He hadn't so much as flinched.
"Yes," he whispered softly, dark wings folding behind him, "I am. And you are my prey."
Iris blinked, slowly, calmly. Valkyre scowled, fingernails digging into the soft leather hilt of his dagger.
As if finally realizing his annoyance, the boy looked up at him, eyes as placid and empty as before.
"...Why do you hunt?"
The other snapped about suddenly, and the blade sang as it sliced across the air, and this time dark magic swallowed up the air around it as it followed the swipe, dark tendrils leaving negative neon strands burning on the backs of Valkyre's eyelids.
But he hadn't struck Iris. The boy stood staring at him calmly and cooly against the side of the wall, silver-gray hair just settling slightly from his almost slow slip away.
Valkyre's hand trembled as the dark magic around his blade faded away slowly, translucent tendrils still snaking along his fingers and wrist, knuckles clenched too tightly, flashing bone-white skin.
"To live," he hissed. "I hunt so I can survive."
Iris was unmoving, silent, like a statue carved out of soft white marble. Cold, empty gray eyes stared back into rich violet ones.
When he spoke, his voice was quiet, almost inaudible.
"...But why do you live?"
And then he was gone.

+--

AN: I'm sorry, I know, it's really, pathetically short and kinda not... explaining... anything. ...Heh.
And, I know, it has absolutely nothing to do with you besides a title. But, think of this one as all yours, Deffy.
Got a whole story for this, and you'll see soon how it fits with 'Iris', of GooGooDolls. It's been in my head for a while, and it's actually been down on paper before, but I kept scratching around with that copy and re-doing it... I hope this final version will be good.
Hope you like this! I promise I'll work on this, and even more knowing that it's for you! [I'll try to get the next chappie up by Sunday, 'kay?]
Thank you for everything, and hope you'll like this lots!!!

-TF

Comments

Comments (13)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

RandomGuy on May 30, 2007, 9:08:39 AM

RandomGuy on
RandomGuyNicely done thier really isn't much bad even about this especially since i loved the first chapter. I see u have like 60 chapters and it would kinda help if u like kinda shrinked them into like 20 instead of 60...its alot of loading for me -.- anyway the story good. Idc what its about but u sure know how to work into a nice prologue I have to say ur detial is impressive and ur chr's are one of kind truly. This i'd say would have to be one of the only stories on FanArt other then the writing i set aside time for that i will actually read through

Trinity_Fire on May 30, 2007, 10:26:58 AM

Trinity_Fire on
Trinity_FireOh, thanks a lot!! And I'm sorry for all the chapters; I do promise that many of them are really short, though!! XD; Couldn't help it; I've been working on this story (whittling at it, more like) for over a year now, and I wanted to please my readers with more updates and all so~

Anyway, thanks a lot for your comment! It really means a lot to me. :)
And hope you'll go on reading! Thanks!

RandomGuy on May 30, 2007, 10:32:41 AM

RandomGuy on
RandomGuycould take me awhile to read since i pracratnate....alot....but i'll get thier...btw what got u into writing the story to begin with? Figured i'd actually ask someone i thought who was equal or better where they get thier inspiration to write from. you know names all that. But then again you haven't read any of my stories now have u xD

Trinity_Fire on May 30, 2007, 10:45:29 AM

Trinity_Fire on
Trinity_FireIt was for DefyDeath_DefyMe. She's been an amazing friend to me, and for her birthday, as I'm not too good an artist, I decided to write her a story. :> She used a penname 'Iris,' so I partially named the story after her, and also after the one song 'Iris' by GooGooDolls, which is where the original inspiration for the characters and loose plotline came from. :3

I'd like to check out your stuff too sometime, since you're so nice!! But it might take me a while to get around to it~ I'm sorry, but I'm juggling a busy high school life at the same time, and I've got finals soon, and SAT tests!

So, I'll try to drop by when I can, okay?
Thanks a lot!! :D

RandomGuy on May 30, 2007, 8:13:21 PM

RandomGuy on
RandomGuyi know the feeling i got a big final today -.- and i really need to pass it. anyway its ok if u take ur time not like i blame ya. Nice u did a story after her. U notice u will get inspiration off some of the most random things lol. anyway gl with finals and is the story almost done or still going?

Trinity_Fire on May 31, 2007, 2:20:11 AM

Trinity_Fire on
Trinity_FireAlmost done! Almost done!! I SWEAR! XD; I've just got to finish the whole thing up.
...I'm unfortunately currently stuck in a writer's block (semi) AND still real busy. Ahhh, Summer, you're only a week away~ ;A;
:rushes towards distant horizons:

...I promise I'll finish it soon. Promise. XD;

RandomGuy on May 31, 2007, 6:04:54 AM

RandomGuy on
RandomGuyits okie if u don't finish. I just didn't know to expect more or to read at w.e pace is better suited. I passed my final with a C btw lol. Not the best but i thought i was going to fail XD. anyway my summer starts after the half day tommrow so i'll defintly have more time. Gl on ur finals cause i only had 1 that was actually hard. and i know how the writers block is for this site. you try and hurry when someone really wants to read but u try and write but nothing comes out right. feelings mutual right now dont' worry =P

silverfox on February 6, 2007, 8:58:17 AM

silverfox on
silverfoxI'm going to tackle this story if it's the last thing I do! (Dark_Alchemist told me how awesome it was and so I simply have to read it, of course.) But sheesh, first chapter and I already want to read more! And she's right, your descriptions are like HO'SNAP amazing.

Dark_Alchemist on February 7, 2007, 10:47:32 AM

Dark_Alchemist on
Dark_Alchemistheehee, yes, it seems I can't help but advertise for you! ;D

Dark_Alchemist on January 30, 2007, 11:09:31 AM

Dark_Alchemist on
Dark_AlchemistWow. I love the descriptions. It's really vivid.

mikita_inugirl on November 3, 2006, 6:04:48 AM

mikita_inugirl on
mikita_inugirlThe first chapter is nice so far. ^__^

arctic_fox_sakura on November 3, 2006, 4:22:37 AM

arctic_fox_sakura on
arctic_fox_sakuraOMG! I've only read the first chapter and I'm already so into it. X3

TIS SO COOL! <3 it!! Now! I must read on!! *goes to read second chappy* YAYYAYAYYAY!!


BYE!!

Astri on August 5, 2006, 7:16:43 PM

Astri on
AstriOf course the opening doesn’t explain anything, it’s not supposed to! This is a perfect example of a “hook” opening—it snatches you in and doesn’t let you go. Your curiosity can’t stand to leave it alone…

I’m foreseeing a long night ahead… ^.^

crazy_jamaican_gurl on July 10, 2006, 4:36:58 AM

crazy_jamaican_gurl on
crazy_jamaican_gurli just started this and i already am in love!

theWriter on January 31, 2006, 8:27:40 AM

theWriter on
theWriterDon't apologize for the writing. You clearly have a grasp of plot, character foil, and description. However, on the subject of proper punctuation...it is difficult to figure out when one paragraph ends and the other begins, which often ruins the reading experience because it becomes difficult to space each block of text. Just press the enter button and you'll do fine. Besides that, though, this was nice. So far, I'm interested.

Bravo.

FATE_The_Pirate on January 27, 2006, 8:46:31 AM

FATE_The_Pirate on
FATE_The_Pirate^-^ i love the story its good i now you dont care what i have to say but yeah i love it. Iris reminds me of what my friends call me SEPHIROTH XD ~FATE the Pirate

SenayDragon on December 4, 2005, 10:08:00 AM

SenayDragon on
SenayDragonO____O I'm hooked already... YAY! Another story for me to obsess over!!! Can't wait to read the rest! ^.^