Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - The Price of Failure and Epilogue

Told from the view of Demyx, number Nine of Organization XIII. A story of friendship ripped apart at the seams. A story of lost love, and a little angst. it's also an experiment. ShounenAi warning! Will be updated daily!

Chapter 15 - The Price of Failure and Epilogue

Chapter 15 - The Price of Failure and Epilogue
DISCLAIMER: I do not own Kingdom Hearts.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: This is it. The last chapter. The story ends here :( Sorry that it’s so long. I just want to make a note that I got the layout of the Underworld wrong. I did it from memory, and I didn’t have the game handy. (The thing with the red eyes is Cerberus I :heart:Cerberus.) Oh, and I added some more convorsation between Demyx and Sora because.. Well... I can lol. I hope you all enjoy.
Once again, the song is GravenImage by Sonata Arctica (it's supposed to be the song Demyx wrote. Yeah...)

PART 15
"The Price of Failure"

“Demyx,

I am setting you on your own for this task. It shouldn’t be difficult for

you, for your skills have improved immensely. I have assigned the remaining few of us to certain worlds. You are to infiltrate the Underworld, let loose your Heartless, and Nobodies. If you should come across one with a strong heart, you are to immediately bring them to me. And what luck, Roxas should be around that area as well. If you should find him, you are to call him by name, not identity. If the subject fails to respond, use aggression to liberate his true disposition.

I wish you luck, Number IX. Do not fail me.

-Xemnas”

I arrived not too long after I had left. The door opened up to a wide open place with golden sand, and large pillars. There was an arena stage in the center, and large riser seats all around. On each end were tall golden doors. The place was deserted.

“This can’t be right…” I mumbled, crossing my arms. I pulled the small white card from my pocket. “‘The Underworld’, hmm? This place seems too bright and cheerful to be called something so… well not bright and cheerful...” I walked around the arena. The sun was high in the sky, bouncing off the sand into my eyes. The doors were all locked. “There’s nothing here.” I grumbled a bit, and decided to leave. Right as I thought this, the golden doors opened, simultaneously, on both ends. I quickly put up my hood, and hid behind the stage. On one side, thousands of people started pouring in, filling the stands. The other door opened to a tall man, muscles largely toned, waving. I took a closer look. Behind him, I could see a small amount of swirling shadows. “There we go!” As the strong man walked to the stage, I silently snuck past the doors.

There was a long, dark staircase leading downward. This had to be where I was supposed to go. I had finally hit the bottom. Now, this place was dark, and it just screamed ‘evil’. Large black spikes shot from the ground. There was a river of dark, murky water surrounding the platform I was on. Two large doors. And in the distance, a large coliseum-looking dome.

“This has got to be the Underworld.” I smiled to myself. “But now what do I do? Well, I guess the easiest way to do this is to start from the source. But who rules the Underworld?” Across the platform were two, short little demon-looking guys. One was blue, taller and thin, one was red, shorter and fat. Time to ask for directions.

“Excuse me,” I said, leaning over them. “Can you tell me who runs this place?”

“What does it matter to you, Hmmm buddy?” The red one said, hands on his plump little hips.

“Y-yeah! None of your business!” The blue one replied.

“I’ll make it my business!” I yelled. “Now, tell me!” The blue one jumped, and ducked his head down.

“Look, man” The red one shouted in my face. “You can’t just barge in here like you own the place and-”

“Look, you little red runt!” I interrupted him. I summoned my Dancer nobodies. “At least point me in the right direction before my friends here get antsy.” The red one, realizing his defeat, pointed to a large black door. I thanked them, and ran to the door, leaving them to face the Dancers. The door closed behind me, but I barely noticed. I had entered a sector that was full of swirling fog. I could barely see the ground in front of me. I suppose that was because there was no ground in front of me. I took a few steps, then fell to my doom beneath the fog. I landed on my back against some black rocks.

“They should really put a sign or something…” I summoned some more of my Dancers, and had them scout the area. I walked slowly through the fog. I wasn’t sure what kind of surprises it held. All was quiet. Strange little balls of light soon were appearing all around me. They seemed harmless enough until I decided to touch one. You can’t tell me you wouldn’t have done the same!

It sent a nice little shock through my body. By the time I had enough sense to back off, my left arm was numb. More of these little spheres began to appear around me. Wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice. I quickly left the area through a stone archway.

Continuing through the fog, I started summoning more Heartless, and Dancers. I was, after all, supposed to ‘let them loose’. I sat on a wide, dusty rock, and had myself a small rest. I started to think about everything. About Axel, about Xigbar, Zexion. But mostly about Axel. I was doing all this for him, but did it even matter? How can I know that without Roxas, Axel will return to normal? I stood up, and started to walk some more.

Axel... What happens when it’s all over? Xigbar... I’m sorry. Why won’t you speak to me? I don’t want to hurt anymore. I don’t want to lose you. My mind drifted to Roxas. This was all his fault. Roxas, Sora, I was going to destroy you! Feeling quite rejuvenated, and worked up, I kicked a small stone into the rock wall. I didn’t think much of it until the wall began to snarl and growl at me. Six, beady, red, glowing eyes peered at me. Not knowing what else to do, I ran for my life. I ran and ran. Through the fog, down, deeper into the Underworld. I was coming to what I thought was a dead end. And then I saw him. Sora. Standing there before me! But I couldn’t stop. I had to get away. I was sure that I was being chased by that... Monster. Until next time, my key-wielding enemy!

I saw him ready his weapon, but luckily, I ran right past him.

“Run! Run away!” I cried, running past right into a freshly opened shadow door. I didn’t care where the door led as long as I was away from that beast. It actually led me to a strange room. I was off to the side, behind what I think was a chair. Two men were talking.

I couldn’t really see, but the men started arguing. I was a little cramped, but I tried to stay absolutely still. I heard yelling from a third person. I scooted a little to the side so I could peek my head out.

And they started to fight. I was sort of getting bored. I was about to leave when the doors flew open to reveal Sora. I had to get out of there. But where could I go? I opened a dark door, and fled the scene. The door led me back to the outside arena. The muscle man was in the middle, pumping his fists into the air. The crowds were chanting, “Her-cu-les! Her-cu-les!” The large golden doors opened once more. There were Sora and his buddies again. Where was my anger? My strong desire to destroy him where he stood? And the more I saw him, the more I saw Roxas in his shadow.

Sora walked over to Hercules. They started talking, but I wasn’t really listening until I heard ‘There’s a stone that protects one against the forces of the Underworld. The Olympus Stone.’ I watched them discuss the stone. Then, Hercules left to find it. And there struck a plan. If I could get the stone, that would leave Sora defenseless while in the Underworld. I wasn’t really sure what that meant, but if I had that stone, maybe I could easily kill him. I silently, and unknowingly followed Hercules. I managed to get ahead of him, and snatched the stone before he arrived. It was no bigger than my palm, and it glowed a bright golden hue. Engraved in it was a lightening bolt. I had myself a small victory dance, then hurried back to the depths of the Underworld. As I was leaving, Hercules spotted me. I quickly summoned lesser Nobodies, and ran.

“Stop! Theif!” he chased me, but was stopped by my Dancers. He chased me back to the arena where I instantly disappeared, creating a dark door leading straight into the heart of the Underworld. I closed it before he could reach me. As I caught my breath, I felt somewhat rejuvenated. I felt strength I’ve never known coursing through my body. Was it the Olympus Stone?

“Hey! You!” I jerked up, and turned around. A small pot-bellied goat-man had followed me. “What do you think you’re doin’ with that!” I panicked. I summoned a blast of water, and knocked him out cold. I picked him up and dragged him to the stairway leading to the arena. I left him there, then quickly left. Before I knew it, I had been found.

“Who’s there?” called Sora’s duck-friend.

“Ah! You!” I gasped. I pulled down my hood. I couldn’t just shout “I SHALL TAKE MY REVENGE ON YOU” or something. He probably didn’t even remember who I was. I remembered Xemnas’ note, and almost forgot not to call him ‘Sora.’

“Wait a sec... Roxas?”

“Excuse me?” Sora replied, giving a confused look.

“Roxas?” I sighed. This was getting me nowhere. He had no idea what I was talking about. “It’s no use...” I pulled the white card from my pocket.

“Wha? What are you talking about?”

“‘If the subject fails to respond, use aggression to liberate his true disposition.’... Right. Did they ever pick the wrong guy for this one...” My fear slowly came back to me. But I didn’t want to fight him just yet. So, I decided to toy around a little bit more. After all, it’s always fun playing with one’s mind.

“You’re bizzare...” I pulled the Olympus stone from my other hand, and held it clearly in his view.

“He must be the thief!” The duck quacked.

“Now, that’s just plain rude!” I pouted. Me? A thief? Never. I silently laughed to myself, summoning my blue instrument. “Dance, water, dance!” I managed to form 7 clones of myself. They surrounded Sora, and began to circle him. And to my surprise, he defeated them. One by one. And then they were gone. Then again, they were just water, after all.

“Not bad, Roxas.” I grinned. Then I grew quite serious. I doubted I would be able to defeat him right then and there. It was time for more clones.

“Stop calling me ‘Roxas’.” He said, pointing his Keyblade at me. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh, wouldn’t you like to know?”

“You’re with the Organization. You can’t be up to any good!”

“Whoa, man that’s profiling.” I wagged a finger at him. “Aren’t you supposed to be the pure-hearted Keyblade Master? How’d the Keyblade choose such a jerk?” Before he could answer, I strummed like crazy. 10, 11, 15, 27. 50. 50 clones, and I was getting tired.

And, again, he destroyed each one.

“What’s the matter? Can’t fight me yourself?” He called.

“Seems I underestimated you just a tad,” I admitted. He may have won this round, but next time... I nodded, and accepted my defeat. I knew that unless I left right now, he wouldn’t let me leave alive. I disappeared into a portal, and I left the stone behind.

Defeat was the worst pain. I had failed my mission. I didn’t even do anything I was supposed to. I was too ashamed. I didn’t even tell anyone I had returned. I sat in my room, disappointed in myself, and ashamed at my actions. I could have hidden myself and still carried out my orders. Why didn’t I stay?

Stupid. I wasn’t thinking straight. I couldn’t even make sense of what I had done. But it was over with. I had to face Xemnas eventually.

A knock at my door. How’d they even know I was home?

“Xemnas would like to have a word with you.”

“...Great.” I mumbled.

It was everything I expected, except a beating, or something like that. I was expecting a long, drawn out speech, and maybe a smack or two. But he didn’t hit me, and I was glad for that.

“... You see, Demyx, that’s why I cannot accept failure. Yet, this is really the first time I have had to speak to you about this.” He stood up and walked to me. “Demyx. To make this up to me, I have a special assignment for you.” He gestured for me to follow him. We walked to a small room that branched off his bedroom. There was a large map on the back wall.

“This is a map of our old home of Radiant Garden. We are going to invade, you could say. Heartless, and Nobodies. It is sure to lure Sora there. I want you to ambush him, and destroy him. That is, after all, what you want.”

“...Sir?”

“I know that you blame him for all that’s gone wrong in your time here. So go, and seek your revenge.”

“... You want... me to kill him? I think you’re sending the wrong guy...”

“These plans won’t be executed for a few days, so you have time to rest up, and prepare yourself.” I nodded, and he dismissed me. I was at the door when he added, “Do not fail me. And do not come back until the deed is done.”
---
What was I going to do for a few days? Hell if I knew. One thing I told myself, though. I had to set things right with Xigbar. At least, I had to attempt it.

That night, I woke in a frenzy at early hours in the morning. For the first time in months, I had a nightmare. It was so... So real. I was fighting Sora, and he knocked me down, and stabbed me straight through. And then, after I had died, he killed Axel, and then Xigbar. Then, everything went white. Axel was laying on the ground. He looked to the side and said, “I wanted to see Roxas...” And then he burst into flames. And then I woke up.

I was felt angry, yet scared. I never wanted to have these dreams ever again, and the only way was to ger rid of Roxas, er, Sora, or whatever his name was. It didn’t matter. He was a dead man.

After realizing I couldn’t fall back asleep, I rolled out of bed, and sat at my window. What a beautiful night it was. I summoned my sitar, and pulled out the very melodious song I had been working on. I closed my eyes, and decided to finish it.

Note after note, each more mellifluous than the last. And finally, I had finished it. The piece was complete. I looked the papers over and over. I played the song from start to finish at least 4 times. And when I played, I felt all the emotions I had only wished I truly had. It was everything I had felt the past few years. Everything that had gone on in my time as a Nobody in music-form. I was extremely amazed with myself. This song was me, a melodious nocturne. A mellifluous trill. My life, composed. And I knew just what to do with it.

Later that day, I was walking the halls, and I spotted Luxord and Xaldin. Seems they had returned from their assignments.

“Hey guys,” I said catching up to them.

“Hello, Demyx,” Luxord smiled. “How was the Underworld?”

“Eh... Creepy, for one thing.” I answered. “How was, uh.. Where did you guys go, anyway?”

“Well, Xigbar and I traded. I went to this island that was inhabited by pirates. Actually, it was pretty fun. I’m just taking a break.”

“Yeah, same here.” Xaldin chimed in. “I was actually assigned to a marvelous castle. I’ll be going back in a few hours.”

“..Did you guys hear about Xemnas’ invasion?”

“...No.” They said simultaneously. I shrugged, then changed the subject.

“Have you guys seen Xigbar?”

“Not for a few days.” Xaldin said.

“Actually, I just saw him.” Luxord interrupted. “He’s in his room. I think he failed his mission.” Phew. I didn’t feel so bad, now.

I thanked them, then walked as fast as I could to Xigbar’s room across the castle. I stood in front of it for a long time, not knowing what to say. Talking about his mission would probably not be the best topic. Not knowing what else to do, I opened his door. The sound automatically roused him, and he glared at me from the corner of his room. He was sitting on a chair that was facing backward. He had his arms crossed on the back.

“...Can I help you? You know it’s rude not to knock.” I decided I wasn’t even going to reason with him.

“Look.” I said. I walked in, closing the door behind me. I walked right up to him, and made sure he couldn’t look away. “Don’t talk to me, that’s okay. I don’t care anymore. Just hear me out. I haven’t seen you in a long time. You hate me because I can’t let go of Axel, yet it’s okay for you to hold on old memories of you and Myde.” I pulled out the old photo of the two of them and shoved it in his face.

“...How did you-”

“Listen. I know you loved him, and he probably loved you back, but he’s not coming back no matter how much you want him to. He’s gone, and I’m in his place. And I know you’re having trouble dealing with that. It’s the same thing for me and Axel. He’s changed, and things aren’t the way they used to be, and they might never be, but that doesn’t mean I can’t try to bring him back. I care a lot about you, Xigbar, and it isn’t worth losing our friendship over this stupid shoot. Here.” I handed him the music. “It’s that song you said that Myde played for you. It’s the only part of him that, I suppose, has lived on. Take it. I don’t care what you do with it.” I turned to leave. “I have things to do, so I guess I’ll just talk to you another time.” And I left.

Nope, I’m not kidding this time. I really said that to him, and it felt amazing. Yet, it still hurt a little bit. The next two days, I practiced, trained, anything I could do to prepare. And on the third day, I went to Radiant Garden.

I thought it would be pretty quiet, but it was anything but that. It was pure chaos. Heartless everywhere, people screaming, fighting. But no Key Bearer in sight. I crept around, trying hard not to be seen when I saw Axel. My body froze, and my mind screamed. What was Axel doing here?

“Axel..?” It was time to confront him, as well. He looked at me, but said nothing. “Axel, why are you here?”

“...I want to see how this all unfolds. There’s an army of Heartless marching toward the old castle.”

“Axel. Roxas might be here. Is that why you’re here?” He looked me straight in the eye for the first time in years. He placed his hands on my shoulders, and got close to my face.

“Ever since Roxas left, I felt... Strange. I’m remembering things that I’m not sure even happened. And here, looking into your eyes, I know they must’ve occurred.”

“What?”

“Slowly, memories of.. Us.. Together.. Are flooding my head. Memories of us. I don’t remember these things ever happening. But... Somehow... I know they’re true. And I forgot them.” His eyes shouted sadness. “Somehow... Roxas changed all that. I’m not sure how, but...” He then closed his eyes, and stepped back from me. “If he comes back, I’ll forget again. We were close friends, weren’t we? I don’t want him dead, but...”

“Axel... I have specific orders to... To kill him.”

“...Do what you’ve gotta do..” He said, leaning against some rocks. “Just... Be careful.” He then pointed to a small platform where Sora and his friends were headed. This was the moment. This time, I was not going to fail. I opened a portal, and materialized right in front of him. I wasn’t sure what to say, so I just said the first thing that came to mind.

“Uh... Hey, you guys are lookin’ lively.” Wow. I’m a dork.

“Scram!” The duck yelled.

“Didn’t we catch you messin’ around in the Underworld?” Sora asked, hands on his hips. “How’d a wimp like you get into Organization XIII?” I backed up a little bit. You’re a jerk, I wanted to say, but I didn’t.

“I bet you can’t even fight!” He crossed his arms.

“Yeah, but we can!” Said the duck. He was starting to get annoying.

“You shouldn’t judge anyone by appearance!” I said, wagging a finger. They readied their weapons, and I had a slight twinge of nervousness. I turned around, and spoke just loud enough for him to hear me. “Oh, I told them they were sending the wrong guy...” Maybe if he thought I was a wimp, I could take him by surprise.

“Who is this kook?”

“Remember, the organization is made up of Nobodies.” said the dog.

“Right. No hearts!” Sora said back. That caught my attention. So he knew about us. Maybe he remembered after all.

“Oh, we do too have hearts.”

“You can’t fool us.”

“...” It was time to end this. “Silence, traitor.” My sitar materialized in my hands. I began to conjure my clones.

“Oh, not this again...” I heard Sora moan, as he began to fight them. I only produced a small amount. As they were defeated, they splashed against the soil. As the last one was destroyed, he headed for me next. I quickly placed a barrier of water around me. After some time, the water fell, and I used it to propel myself across the platform. It caught him off guard, and the stream knocked him down. I began to play, and bursts of water shot up around the arena. Sora skillfully dodged each blast, and headed straight for me. I tried my hardest to move, but I couldn’t Hit after hit, blow after blow. I tried to put up a wall of any kind, but I couldn’t move. Quickly, I managed to punch him in the face, and I started to run. I started to summon more clones.

“Oh no, You’re not getting away from me that easily!” He said, voice hot with rage. He ran straight at me. I gripped my sitar on the end with both hands, but before I could swing..
---
So, here I am. I’m standing here staring into the angry blue eyes of Sora. All I feel is pain. My sitar dropped from my grasp. My whole life. Everything. It all just played through my head, flashed before my eyes. What just happened.?

I look down, and all I can see is red as my eyes blur. Is that... The Keyblade? I look back up at Sora who’s now smiling. He tears the sword from my chest, and turns to leave. I want to speak, but I cannot. My voice is gone, and I feel weak. I drop to my knees.

“...No way...” I whisper, unable to realize what just happened. I collapse backward. I look to my hands which are fading before my eyes. Is this what happened to Zexion? I can’t see anymore. My eyes are shut, and I can’t open them. Is this what it feels like to die? I’m sorry, Xemnas, I’ve failed you again. I’m sorry Xigbar, I’m not coming home. I’m sorry ...Axel.

I stop struggling. There’s no point. This is the end.

And then, Demyx died, fading into the darkness, unable to return to the castle, unable to go on. And although his body disappeared, his heart still remained, and strayed from Kindom Hearts. And somewhere, on the other side of the universe, a young man with curly, dirty blonde hair awakened to the sound of a familiar voice calling his name;

“Myde?”


–THE END–

EPILOGUE
(told in 3rd person)

A knock on Xigbar’s door.

“Hey, Demyx is fighting Roxas! You’ve gotta see this!” It was Luxord. Xigbar’s head perked up.

“He’s... what?”

“Come on!” The two raced from the wing to Xemnas’ bedroom where they were able to watch the events on a small screen. Xemnas, Saïx, and Xaldin were huddled around the screen, watching intently. Xigbar stood off to the side as Luxord joined them.

‘Come on, kid.’ He thought to himself. ‘I know you can do this.’ They watched the fight progress.

“He’s losing!” Luxord cried. Xigbar rushed over.

“No!” He shouted, pushing the others aside. “Demyx!” But he yelled in vain as he watched the fight come to an abrupt end. “...No.. This can’t be happening!”

“It’s over...” Xemnas said, monotonous. “All right, everyone out. It’s time for a new strategy.”

“Master Xemnas!” Xigbar cried. “Demyx was just brutally murdered and you’re just going to ‘form a new plan’?”

“What would you like me to do, Xigbar?”

“...Something!.. anything..”

“There’s nothing I can do. Now, get out.”

A few weeks later, Axel had met up with Sora between the dimensions. Axel had finally completely severed himself from the Organization, and was working alone to save Sora so he could one day be reunited with Roxas. Thousands of Nobodies ambushed them and they were unable to defeat them all.

“It’s hopeless!” Sora cried. “We’ll never kill them all.”

“Don’t give up!” Axel yelled, realizing his fate. He jumped into the center of the attacking Nobodies, and before Sora could protest, Axel exploded in a burst of fire, and light. When the light cleared, the Nobodies were gone, and Axel was collapsed on the ground, starting to disappear.

“You’re... Fading away.” Sora said, rushing to his side.

“Well... That’s what happens when you put your whole being into an attack.” Axel replied, quite pleased with himself.

“Why.. Why would you help me?”

“I wanted to see Roxas... He... was the only one I liked. He made me feel... Like I had a heart.” He chuckled to himself. “It’s kind of funny... You make me feel.. The same..” After some time, Axel was gone, and Sora had left to continue his journey. Shortly after, Xigbar appeared between dimensions.

“Axel... You bastard. Demyx sacrificed himself for you, and you didn’t even care? He died for you, he faded with your name on his lips. And here you kill yourself for Roxas? Unbelievable. I do hope you burn in Hell, Axel. Wherever Nobodies go when they die, I hope he’s there, and he gives you what you’ve got coming to you.”

He closed his eyes, letting a silent tear drop down his cheek. He began to hum the familiar melody of Demyx’s song. And then he quietly sang to himself.

“We met that night, when the sea ran high.
And I craved for more of that near love experience.
Those who the music hath then joined together, are now put asunder...

Remember me, when I lit the fire.
To keep us warm.
On a cold winter morning. Now I pass through the moment.
Can I still recognize a beautiful melody...

I play a note, but hear no sound. Have I lost my love or the wings I found.
When I was young...
and eager to please anyone who had time...

Needed to sing, the very notes I heard.
Had to stay in the shadows and seek for the loneliness.
Nevertheless, the price was higher than I realized.
I was to live alone, ready to make the sacrifice.
Was I in love with you...

My old heart, little harder again. One the light goes out, everything ends.
It is time...ready to cause a scene, ready to make the sacrifice.
Ready to play the note, ready to end the final show.
The only thing I know.

The pain is here. To stay I fear. In my eyes. I can change one note and make you cry.
In this state of mind. Silence is a crime.

How can life be so feigned and cold. I've answered the call of every melody, lovingly.
Did I find the answers to all my questions.

Or a gravenimage of me...

If I found the hidden fountain. Drank the wisdom from it's deep.
Would I have the time to save me. Would I have them both to keep.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment