Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - An uncertain outcome

Chapter 8 - An uncertain outcome

Chapter 8 - An uncertain outcome
“BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-“ Was the last sound Akari heard before her eyes flew open! In one fluid motion, she bolted upright on the metallic panel Wisemon currently had her laying upon. As she looked around the room, she noticed the sound was incredibly muffled as if someone put the world on mute! Her vision also seemed incredibly hazy. “Hey guys, I’m o…kay?” She let out a sharp, exasperated gasp immediately followed by a wild, bloodcurdling scream! Fear gripped and clawed its way up her spine as glassy tears quickly beaded up and trickled down her cheeks! She gulped, feeling slightly queasy, and squeezed her eyes tightly closed in disbelief as she began to shake! After a few seconds, she slowly took a deep, shaky, raspy breath hoping it would calm herself to little avail. ‘Okay… 3… 2… 1!’ She thought, mentally preparing herself for what awaited her. As her eyelids flew open, she glanced down at her fingers and transparent body!  The sheer impact of the sudden realization struck her hard! She then shook her head swinging her feet around and hopped off of the machine’s table refusing to believe what lie before her. “NO, NO NO NO NOOOO!!! I CAN’T BE DEAD!!” She glanced around the room, noticing Taiki resting upon the fainting sofa and attempted to run to him only to have each step uncontrollably lift her into the air! “NO NO NOOOOOO! PLEASE, I DON’T WANNA GO!!” She sobbed kicking and clawing violently against the air trying desperately to remain in the corporeal world, but it was no use. As she neared the ceiling of the hospital, she curled into a ball bracing herself for the impact that never came. “Wh-what?” She said carefully opening her eyes to the sudden bright white void that lay out before her. “Oh… no no no! I’m dreaming, I’m not dead, HAHAHA! I’ll wake up at any moment and see Taiki’s smiling face at the hospital! Haha yup! Any moment now…” She said squeezing her eyes shut yet again and opening them only to be disappointed by the endless white void she seemed to be floating in. “DAMN IT…” She shouted in frustration, defeat rang clearly in her tone. Tak, Tak, Tak. “YEEEIIIII!!” She jumped letting loose a small scream as the sound of metallic soled shoes gently clicking against a hard floor drew ever closer to her. “Oh no… oh no oh no oh noooo!!” Sh screamed attempting to drift away from the sound by wildly flailing her arms and legs to no avail. 

She bit her lip glancing towards the sound, hoping, praying, in desperation that this wasn’t the grim reaper coming to claim her soul! The figure soon appeared before her, a blank shadow shrouded by a thin white veil of mist. As it drew ever closer she quickly threw her arms over her face letting loose a tiny panicked squeal waiting for the worst. “There is no reason to fear me, Akari Hinomoto.” The voice was surprisingly deep and soothing! She released the lip as she gasped loudly forcing herself to glance back up at the massive figure now only a few feet from her. The voice was calming, comforting and vaguely familiar. The massive form stopped then knelt down slowly trying not to further scare the small, shaking girl. “O-O-Omnim-mon?” She asked curiously, still hoping, praying, and desperately begging that she was right. As the mist cleared, Omnimon’s form was kneeling brilliantly before her once more. “Wh-bu-Bu…But?” She stammered in a confused manner, a thousand questions buzzed furiously within her mind. The icy tears of fear that once fell down her pale, bony cheek were quickly swept away as she sighed in relief. Seeing Omnimon before her meant this had to do with the digital world! She wasn’t dying… was she? Did he really have the power to pull her from the grave?? “I know you must have a lot of questions, Miss Akari Hinomoto, but I assure you, you won’t die. Your existence is more important than you realize. Your new life begins now!” Akari gasped feeling herself rapidly pulled towards what appeared to be a large colorful egg below her. “No-no-no!! Wait!! I STILL HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS! I - AHHHHHH!!!” An ear splitting scream echoed throughout the void as the egg snapped enclosed around her, wrapping her in a warm, somewhat comfortable, pitch black void. Her mind quieted, lulling her into a gentle slumber. 

~Back in the human world~

“I’m so, so sorry everyone… so damn sorry…” Wisemon clasped his face in his shaking, bloodied hands. His hidden face twisted in both morbid horror and guilt. “This is all my fault… I wasn’t fast enough to save her…” Shoutmon turned away closing his eyes in ultimate defeat, refusing to look into Taiki’s possibly empty grey orbs, not wanting to see the shattered soul within. It was HIS idea, HIS failed idea that ultimately ended a life! How could he ever face Taiki or Zenjirou again?? His entire body shook as he gritted his teeth attempting to suppress the steadily climbing horror of permanently losing a friend. Taiki walked numbly over to the fainting sofa and stiffly flopped down upon it. His eyes were hollow, his expression empty as he stared down at the ground over the edge. No matter how long he’d prepared himself for this, it was still too much to handle for the usually energetic boy. Suddenly, Wisemon’s busted machine miraculously buzzed back to life sending out a flurry of green, angry sparks! Wisemon numbly tilted his head upwards to the monitor only to bolt, upright in his chair upon realization. “What the…” Wisemon said with a sharp gasp, turning his attention to the now lit screen as it was again scrolling with multi-colored code! Shoutmon turned his head towards Wisemon’s sudden outburst giving the wise Digimon a strange look as he seared closed what was left of his horns, stopping the bleeding. “SHE’S ALIVE!! I DON’T KNOW HOW, BUT SHE’S ALIVE!! My king, come look!” Wisemon said gesturing to a certain navy blue colored code scrolling quickly down the center of the screen! “We did it! We saved her!” “TAIKI!” Shoutmon bellowed shaking the room slightly. The boy numbly turned his head to face Shoutmon. His eyes half lidded and pale, more empty and hollow than Shoutmon had ever seen. “She’s alive, Taiki! We did it!” Taiki merely sighed rolling over on the fainting sofa refusing to get his hopes up once more only to be devastatingly crushed. 

Wisemon did say this had a very low chance of success, yet he was never fully prepared believe that until now. He knew Wisemon wouldn’t let him down! He never did, he had no reason to, all those times Wisemon came through in a pinch for the Xros Heart army burst from every corner of Taiki’s mind! But now, the boy lay in total disbelief turned away from his fiery red friend. Shoutmon stood there, arms crossed, his face now marred in frustration. He snorted, “WELL FINE! LOOKS LIKE WE’RE DOING THIS THE HARD WAY!” He then lifted Taiki up over his head and walked back over towards the now flickering monitor! “H-HEY! WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA??” Taiki shouted now flailing his arms trying to keep from falling on his face as Shoutmon lifted him. “WHAT THE HELL!?! PUT ME DOWN!!” Shoutmon’s cocky smile returned as he plopped him down in front of Wisemon’s machine. Wisemon then excitedly ushered Taiki closer pointing to the blue line of code on the sparking monitor. “See this? It means she’s alive, we’ve done it!” Taiki’s eyes widened as they yet again filled with light! “WHAT?? NO WAY!!” Shoutmon again folded his arms, his cocky smile never leaving. “OH YES WAY! WE’VE SAVED HER!” Taiki gasped as tears of pure joy beaded up at the corners of his eyes! He threw his arms around both Shoutmon and Wisemon. “THANK YOU GUYS, THANKS SO MUCH!” Shoutmon and Wisemon gave a happy thumbs up. “No need to thank us! She’s a friend, OF COURSE we’d save her! And you had your doubts, PFFT!” Shoutmon teased giving Taiki a rough noogie. “So, where is she now?” Taiki asked curiously, while trying to shove Shoutmon’s arm away. “I mean, is she still in your machine or has she been sent somewhere?” Wisemon closed his yellow beady eyes as his face lit up with a strange yellow code. Two blue balls of energy formed in his hands spilling multiple lines of code into the machine.

The machine hummed and whirred in response, the damage seemed to vanish and the sparks ceased. “If my calculations are correct, she should be located at the northern part of the Digimon Daycare! Let me just…” Wisemon’s fingers flew furiously across the keyboard, typing in several rows of code in under 5 seconds! Taiki’s eyes grew wide as he watched with growing curiosity! Suddenly, the machine shuddered a bit as the metal doors  to the teleportation pod screeched open spilling out a light so brilliant, Taiki threw his arms over his face to shield his eyes. When the light suddenly vanished, Taiki blinked, letting his eyes readjust and glanced around the now empty room looking around for the others only to find that they’d also vanished along with the damage. Akari’s body lay motionless and pale in the same spot it’d previously been before the Digi-intervention! Taiki gasped rushing over to her! With the heart rate monitor flatline ringing loudly in his ears, Taiki grasped her now bony hand. He could feel the heat from her hand slowly fade. It would be bittersweet if it hadn’t been for his digital friends though he couldn’t help but let a small tear slide down his cheek. A small smile played sadly across his face as he began to gently rub the back of it knowing she was no longer there. “If what Wisemon said was true and you really are alive somewhere in the digital world, I hope I can see you again. For now, goodbye, my friend! I hope you’ll have safe travels to the digital world!” He then gently placed her hand beside her once more. He then stood and walked towards the door wildly flinging it open in a feigned panic! “SOMEONE COME QUICK! SHE’S FLATLINING!!”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment