Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - A Semi-normal Girl

A semi-normal teen named Crysta Aile finds out she is not so normal after all...

Chapter 1 - A Semi-normal Girl

Chapter 1 - A Semi-normal Girl
Chapter 1

“Ugghhh…” Crysta thought, trying to focus as the teacher scrawled across the chalkboard.

Crysta Aile was just a semi-normal fourteen year old. She wore the Scarlett High School uniform- a black dress that went to just above her knees with long sleeves and a collar with a tie, a maroon mid-length jacket with the school’s emblem on the right side of her chest, and black, knee-high socks. She also wore a pair of red and black tennis shoes, well worn, by the look of them. Her pale-skinned face was framed by her shoulder-length, dark brown hair, and the top portion of her hair was pulled back into a small pigtail. Crysta had nose-length bangs that got shorter as they came closer to the sides of her face, but she had two bunches of bangs on either side in front of her ears that were an inch or two longer than the rest of her hair.

Now we get to the semi-normal-ness. Crysta was always teased because of her ears- the tops of them ended in a slight point. This earned her nicknames such as “Elf Girl” and “Dumbo.” As if her ears weren’t trouble enough, her canine teeth were also slightly longer than the average tooth, but not all-out vampire. The names “Fang” and “Vamp” came with this “genetic malformation,” as her parents described it- they and her big sister, too, had strange ears, teeth, and, finally, eyes. Crysta’s eyes were of a stormy grey color, with slightly elongated pupils. They could grab the attention of anyone with their cold, angry gaze, or calm anyone, with a cool, clear one. There was one other strange thing about this chick… her naturally long, perfectly sharp fingernails could sometimes be mistaken for claws.

“…and so, class, this is your homework: to read pages 170-192 and write an essay on how this story can connect with your life. And don’t forget- neatness counts!” Mrs. Shaun concluded, underlining the assignment on the chalkboard, just as the bell rang.

Crysta gathered her books and notebooks and slowly stood, waiting for the usual the-bell-just-rang-and-it’s-time-to-go-home-for-the-weekend mess of students.

Crysta stood and grabbed her purse, but felt a quick jab at her shoulder. She turned to see a girl about her height of 5ft, 4in wearing the same school uniform as her, but with a slightly more disheveled appearance: her sleeves were rolled up, her tie was crooked, and her knee-length socks were covered by what could only be described as combat boots. Her tanned, grinning face was framed with chin-length... Blue hair.

“What happened to your head?!” Crysta squealed, almost dropping her books.

The girl grinned. “I know! Isn’t it awesome?!”

Crysta giggled. “Sarah, will you ever stop surprising me? I’ve known you for almost 6 years, and you’re still as unpredictable as you were when you were eight.”

“Hah! You should be used to it by now, Cryssie!” She replied with an evil grin, using her nickname for Crysta. “Now, come on, it’s your turn to carry all my books.”

This had been a longtime tradition for the two best friends; it had all started when Crysta and Sarah Celeste were both about eleven years old, in the 6th grade. Crysta had broken her arm and needed help carrying her books everywhere, and Sarah was the only one fit enough for the job. Sarah helped, but declared that eventually, Crysta would have to pay her back after 4 weeks of Sarah carrying two sets of books- hers, and Crysta’s. Ever since the day Crysta was finally declared recovered, they had switched back and forth who would carry everything every day.

“Oh, fine. Gimme-” Crysta said, grabbing the two books Sarah was holding.

The duo walked out the door after the main mass of students had left, and headed towards their lockers, which were positioned next to each other.

“What books did we need, again?” Crysta asked, opening her locker as Sarah opened hers.

“…English, Social Studies, and Math.” Sarah said, handing Crysta her own books. “Now, come on! I gotta get home before dinner, or else my mom’ll kill me!”

Crysta laughed and took the pile of books. The thick tomes created a stack that was up to Crysta’s knee. She couldn’t even see over the stack!

“Come on, Sarah! Help me with these!”

The blue-haired girl sighed with more than a little bit of exaggeration. “Oohhh, fine… I’ll guide you with my voice. …Go left a bit.”

Crysta growled. “That’s not exactly what I meant…” She carefully stepped to the left, and gently eased over to a set of stairs- their last class was on the third floor.

“Okay, take one step down. And another… and another…” Sarah coached as Crysta carefully followed her instructions. “There,” Sarah said as Crysta’s foot landed on the bottom step. “That wasn’t too hard, was it? Now… just a little ways more… Oh!”

“What?” Crysta said, fumbling with the stack of books to try to look at her, but Sarah had disappeared.

I should have known better than to trust that she’d help me for more than a minute… she’s probably seen some cute guy and run off after him.” Crysta thought, rolling her eyes and cautiously continuing through the halls.

She made it halfway through the route in less than five minutes, carefully checking over her shoulder every so often so she wouldn’t get lost- it was only the fourth week of school and her first year in high school, and the only places she knew how to get to were her locker, her classes, the cafeteria, and one route to the front door.

Most of the students were already gone from the hallways- either home, the library, or their classrooms. Only a few were in the halls, most visiting their own locker or their friends’. (Not including Sarah, who, like Crysta thought, was stalking some poor boy)

Crysta sighed. “I wonder what Ma and Da are getting me for my fifteenth birthday this year…-” Crysta took a step, but her foot didn’t touch floor. “Kiiiyyaaaa!!” She cried as she slipped backwards on another staircase. Suddenly, a strong, but not overly buff, pair of arms grabbed her, saving her from falling- also possibly saving her from another broken arm, leg, or neck. The books, though, were not nearly as fortunate- they went sailing out of her flailing arms, and tumbled down the stairs to land in a massive heap of bent, torn, and crumpled pages, with dozens of pages of notes raining down on top.

“Are you alright?”

Crysta turned to see the person who had possibly saved her from a broken neck, and who was still holding her shoulders gently. For a moment, her skin seemed to tingle, and she had the sudden feeling that she was surrounded by soft, white feathers. She shook her head, causing her to feel a little lightheaded.

A boy a little taller than her and about the same age stood there. He had pale, but not pallid, skin, and dark black hair, which made him look even paler. His hair was in a scruffy, short style, with dark bangs hanging over his forehead. He had a small nose, and large, blue eyes. He was wearing the guy’s school uniform of Scarlett High- a maroon jacket over a black collared shirt with a tie, and black pants.

“Uhh… Yeah, I think I’m fine…” Crysta murmured as the boy released her shoulders so she could stand on her own. She laughed a little. “…I just need to get my head out of the clouds. Oh, and thanks for saving me.”

The boy smiled and blushed a little. “Oh, it was no problem… Well, if you’re alright, then I’d best be off…”

And with that, the boy had run off around a corner, to a section of the school Crysta didn’t know how to navigate.

“Hmmm… I didn’t get the chance to even ask his name…” She thought, going down the stairs to see what had become of her and Sarah’s books.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment