Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - The Cottage

First 5 chapters of this is on a laptop,which I don't have with me but Im bored so Ill put this chapter on anyway.
P.S. The harp is a present from him to her by the way (Chapter 6).

Chapter 6 - The Cottage

Chapter 6 - The Cottage
Chapter 6: The Cottage


After galloping for an hour or so, Claire finally reached the cottage, their house, with the conversation she had just had with Dragon Slayer still going over and over in her mind. She instantly stopped thinking when she coming came to the clearing, and on her horse she slowly walked towards the garden.
No Dragon Slayer. She took a look around. Everything she was thinking about just instantly vanished, as if it wasnt important enough to remember at the moment. This night the cottage looked different from the last time she had saw it. It was still in its shabby state, but it seemed& more depressing. The house was drenched by the rain, but still stood firm. It was a dark, nightmare domicile, not a cosy cottage home like it used to be. Claire looking at this house started to forget all the happy hours she had spent here, as if seeing the building like this was sucking away her memories of this house ever being warm. The garden wasnt much better. All the flowers were limp and were hardly withstanding the rain. The soil had turned to mud, making the entire land become a huge swamp of despair. Claire was mesmerised by how& heartbreaking this was, but then she shook her head and tried to think of something else. No matter how hard she tried to remember, her joyful thoughts were all slipping away. She closed her eyes and involved herself in immense concentration.
Claire? a man said to her.
She instantly opened her eyes, and there in the middle of the swampy earth, was Him. He was no longer kitted out in armour, the clothes he was wearing now looked similar to the ones Claire had last saw him in those years ago, but there was something & different, but she couldnt bother to think about that now.
Dragon Slayer! Claires face broke into a grin, and she jumped off her horse and ran into his arms. It wasnt until after the embrace that Claire realised it had stopped raining, the wind had settled down and the fog had cleared. Everything was peaceful and happy once again. Claires lost memories returned to her as she gazed into Dragon Slayers eyes. His hands slipped into hers and they stood there, in a trance, when Dragon Slayer let out a small sound from his throat, looked worried, then quickly shook his head and stepped back, dropping Claires hands as if they were red hot pokers.
Sorry, I& Dragon Slayer started, unable to finish. He then morphed his panic-filled face into a smile. He then gently picked Claire up, and carried her into the cottage, so to avoid her dress getting any muddier.
There, in the middle of the second room stood the golden harp. This is where Dragon Slayer slowly lowered Claire onto her feet, and then paused with his hands round her waist. He started into her emerald eyes, then his deep brown eyes suddenly widened and he broke eye contact.
My message! He said under his breath, seeming to be reminding himself of something. He backed off from Claire, who was standing just beside the harp, fidgeting slightly with her dress out of nervousness. Dragon Slayer looked her up and down, and stopped at her eyes.
You look& um& you&uh& Dragon Slayer burbled, still as good as he was before at complimenting Claires appearance.
Claire gave a small smile and a little laugh.
Thank you. She said, knowing what he wanted to say about how she looked.
Dragon Slayer giggled slightly too, then his face slipped into its depressed state once again.
No, we were so close at getting you to properly smile again! Claire said with a grin on her face, then realised this was no laughing matter for Dragon Slayer. Her faced changed into a worried expression and then she ran towards him and slipped her hands into his.
What is your message? She said in a slightly desperate tone.
I wish& it was easier to tell you. Actually, I wish I didnt have to tell you at all-
Weve been through this staling already Dragon Slayer. Claire interrupted in a stern but non-harsh fashion. Look at me. What is your message?
Dragon Slayer reluctantly looked up and gazed into Claires eyes. He knew in his heart that he couldnt fight to hide it from Claire any longer. He had to tell her now.
The baby dragon I started to tell you about earlier, He began, well it grew bigger and wiser over the past few years, and with age, grew its hatred of the human race. Its blamed everyone for its mothers death, when it should only of been me that it never forgave. Anyway, now that the dragon is in its prime years, it has& planed to destroy Tybolt. Dragon Slayer spat out these last few words as if they were poison and Claire gave a frightened gasp as her eyes widened and she placed both her hands over her mouth. She backed away a few steps, as if this would stop it from being true.
No! She whispered, her voice filled with panic.
Yes! Dragon Slayer said, stating the horrifying truth. It will stop at nothing to complete its mission, to avenge its mothers death, and I cant do anything about it! Dragon Slayer breathed heavily here, then continued in a less short-tempered tone.
I need&help. He said quietly and pathetically, help from you.
Claire looked puzzled for a moment, and then the truth dawned on her. Her eyes widened then she gasped. Her mouth opened and closed as if she was doing a fish impression, but then she gave up. She closed her mouth, knowing that there was nothing she could say.
As Claire was going through her moment of shock and horror, Dragon Slayer watched helplessly from the sidelines, unable to save her from what she was going through, silently hating himself for that.
Claire then suddenly stopped panicking, and stood still. She then slowly lowered herself to the floor, and sat with her feet on the ground and her arms wrapped round her knees. For a moment, there was complete silence. Neither Claire nor Dragon Slayer moved.
He then slowly advanced towards her.
Claire? He said softly to her as he moved.
Shut up! Claire suddenly yelled at Dragon Slayer, stopping him in mid-step. He then walked in front of her, and kneeled down so that her head was level with hers. He was unable to see Claires face because she had placed her head down on her knees. He said to her:
Claire. Youre the worlds last hope. The planet needs you. Your father needs you. I need you-
Dont you think I know that? said Claire, sharply raising her head to shout.
Just&let me think for a second, ok?
Dragon Slayer did as she asked, but remained in his kneeling position.
The minutes ticked by, and hardly anything has moved. Claire then opened her eyes, raised her head, then stood up and looked straight ahead of her, staring at nothing in particular. Dragon Slayer looked up at her, waiting to hear the answer, the only answer. Claire gulped, then said in a honourable, but quiet tone of voice as a tear fell from her eyes:
When do I leave?

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

artyfangirl on November 26, 2006, 9:27:27 PM

artyfangirl on
artyfangirlHere's a summary of the first 5 chapters-
Claire is a woman who grew up in Tybolt. Growing up she knew a boy who she nicknamed Dragon Slayer. They fell in love, but he had to go fight in a war which he never returned from. The day before leaving he gave her a dragon scale, which she turned into a pendant.
One night she wore the pendant and was looking at it in the mirror, when it started to glow a bright mystic green. She freaked out, but later on after thinking about it she decided that if it glowed again, she would investigate. Stuff happens, time passes and eventually the scale glows again. She checks it out and is knocked out by a blast on energy that came from it. When she comes to, who else but Dragon Slayer is standing infront of her, looking very dashing. He speaks of a message he has to give her, and he mentions that the first dragon he killed was a mother, but then Claire's father starts to come up the stairs to her room. Dragon Slayer freaks out, scared, and tells Claire to run to 'their house' and she figures out that he meant the cottage that he showed her a while ago, so she goes and this is where u come in.