Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Morning Memories

First 5 chapters of this is on a laptop,which I don't have with me but Im bored so Ill put this chapter on anyway.
P.S. The harp is a present from him to her by the way (Chapter 6).

Chapter 7 - Morning Memories

Chapter 7 - Morning Memories
Chapter 7: Morning Memories


Claire opened her eyes to see she was alone. She felt terrible; Her mouth was dry, her throat was sore and she was freezing, even though the sun was beating down well outside. She painfully stretched up with her arms and stood up slowly, the thin dusty rag that had been her blanket the night before slipping off onto the ground.
She stared down at the hard dusty wooden-plank floor. It hadnt served well as a bed.
Dragon Slayer once again had disappeared with no warning, leaving nothing to show he was even there in the first place. Claire sat back down and tried to remember the discussion she and Dragon Slayer had last night; the message he had said still ringing in her ears, blasting as loud as a foghorn. After that he had then told her where she could get some armour:
A friend of mine can give you all youll need.
Claire privately smiled to herself. Dragon Slayer& his nickname ran in her mind every night, and most mornings too. She still couldnt understand how he came back, but frankly, she didnt care. Her first and only love has returned, all her wishes had finally come true. Who was she to question a miracle, especially one that had happened in her favour? Tybolts only hope&thats who she is.
Claire let out a depressed sigh and stood up. She brushed down her dress wearily, knowing it wouldnt really help get the thick layers of dirt and dust that was clinging to it. She walked slowly round the room, trying to take everything in. It&could be her last chance to see this place& Claire quickly pushed that thought out of her mind and continued her look-around.
With the sun pounding in through the window you could see the dust particles in the air. They floated gracefully in the air, without purpose and without worry. Claire envied and despised the dots, so quickly turned her head to look at something else, which was lucky cause she would of hit her shin off the golden harp if she hadnt seen it in time. The rays of sunlight did this magnificent instrument justice, bouncing off the rim making it look majestic and as if it should be in an enormous ballroom being listened to intently by hundreds, maybe even thousands of ears. The item craved attention and an audience.
Claire took up harp at a young age. Her father had made her, and she was almost sure she would hate it. But the moment she touched those strings she was in her own world, playing for an audience of no one and everyone. She hated all her teachers, some smelled strange and others had no clue what they were doing. Until, it came to her latest one. He who she had known since the age of 6 became her teacher. Yes, it was Dragon Slayer himself. His mother being a famous harpist, he had been listening to harp all his life, and knew all the individual strings and their sounds. He knew many songs, and had watched his mother play all the time. Unfortunately, Claires father would never allow a boy teach his daughter, even a boy of a famous harpist. She was banned from ever seeing him for lessons again, but Claire never really cared about what her father thought. She knew that his opinion didnt matter, so every Sunday she would say she would be going to the market, when she would really be off to Dragon Slayers house, where no one but Slayers mother would know where they were. Slayers mother was kind, and always greeted you with a smile. She only allowed people call her by her first name, Sylvia, and she knew how to keep a secret. Sylvia, like Claire, thought King Rufus was a big bag of hot air, but she would never say so in front of Claire. Sylvia really was the only person in the town who wasnt scared of the King, and everyone knew it.
So, Claires lesson would last about 1 hour, and then she would take the food etc. from off the kitchen table that Slayers mother bought so Claires story was believable, she would then thank Sylvia, and then would be on her way back home, dreaming of her next lesson. She of course still had to have lessons from other people (her father was still forcing her to learn the harp), but these were irrelevant. She never really tried with them, and she was always thinking about what Dragon Slayer was going to teach her in a few days.
When he& disappeared, Claire went one last time to his house to say goodbye and thank you to Sylvia. It was in the middle of the night so that no one else would be there, and also so she wouldnt have to tell her father a lie. She wanted to stop lying, stop committing sins. Maybe if she did, then Dragon Slayer would come back. Sneaking out at night was a one off, her last crime.
When she arrived at his house, she saw light coming from the kitchen. She let out a relieved sigh, knowing Sylvia was awake, then walked up to the door, and knocked twice.
In only two seconds the door was thrust open and there was Sylvia, hair wild, face filled with hope, only to be lost when she saw it was Claire.
Oh. Claire, Sorry I thought& Sylvia said sadly, looking past Claire into the night, hoping to see someone else.
Come in. She said, and Claire walked into the cold house as Sylvia shut the door behind her.
Claire took a quick scan. The whole house was basically empty apart from a huge pile of cardboard boxes in the corner, some with the word FRAGILE written on the side.
So what are you doing here, up this late? She said, hardly caring if Claire was there or not.
Claire took in a breath and said,
Sorry, um& were you waiting for-
What is it you came for? Sylvia interrupted, not wanting to continue with that topic, the smile that was usually on her face no longer there.
Claire shook her head then said,
Um& I came to say thank you for everything. I know it was really risky for you to lie for me and& me and& Then Claire started crying.
Sylvia felt a sudden pain of sorrow and pity for Claire, knowing that they had both loved Dragon Slayer (she had overheard Claire use that name for him), even if Claire didnt know it herself. Sylvia walked over and placed her hands on Claires shoulders, then stared into her sad face.
Claire looked up at Sylvias face, examining the eyes, seeing a look of sympathy.
Sylvia still saw the little girl inside Claire, the one she had helped with a cut knee, the girl she used to tell magical stories to, with mystical unicorns running wild and horrible ugly witches casting curses and spells.
Thank you. Sylvia said at last. Now, you better be running along home again. Your father would be worried if he found you missing. Sylvia then walked Claire to the door. Claire walked out, but before she left, she turned around to Sylvia.
Youre leaving, arent you? Youre packing up and moving away. Claire said, with a tone of grief in her voice.
Sylvia stared at her feet for a few seconds, then looked back up at Claire.
There are too many memories here, just& too many. I think it would be for the best if I left. Im sorry I wont be around anymore Claire, but good luck in your life. Big things are going to happen to you, youre just too special for them not to. Sylvia then smiled the last smile Claire saw her do.
Claire smiled too.
Goodbye Sylvia, and thanks for everything.
Goodbye Claire.
Claire then ran to her horse and sped into the night. Claire arrived back at her house and saw the lights were not on. Obviously her father had not yet awoken. She dropped off her horse into the stables and went to the side of the house. She saw the rope made of bedcovers etc. she had made to get out earlier, and now here she was climbing back up it again, which she discovered was a lot more difficult. She finally reached the top, then changed quickly but silently into her pyjamas and threw the dress she had wore into the back of the wardrobe, intending to wash it secretly later so her father wouldnt suspect a thing. She sank into her bed, and right before falling to sleep, she had a thought. She hadnt realised it until now, but it was true. With Sylvias departure, Claire would lose her last friend. There would be no one left to talk to, no one left who properly knew her. She shivered and snuggled into her spare bedcovers, the other ones she had tore up to make a rope at the moment at the back of the wardrobe with her dress. Claire sniffled slightly, and then fell asleep, grief her lullaby.
Back in the present now, Claire was packing her horse, getting ready for the long journey ahead. She made the last preparations, and pulled herself onto the horse. Claire took the scale pendant out of her pocket and tied it round her neck. She held the scale in her hand, and smiled privately to herself.
This is your fault you know. She said jokily, then grabbed the reins and was off, beginning her pilgrimage, riding into the forest.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

artyfangirl on November 27, 2006, 2:38:30 AM

artyfangirl on
artyfangirli've just read this over and it seems the website had messed up a bit of my puntuation. Here's the code cracked-
the & sign they put actually is ...
the extra space they will put in are speech marks
the |- thing is a '
and the arrow I have no idea :)

Anyway, hope you like the story. BYE

artyfangirl on November 27, 2006, 2:23:11 AM

artyfangirl on
artyfangirlRight, didn't mention this before: Claire's the princess of Tybolt :) Sorry I forgot to tell you earlier :)